"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

I have heard that alright. Hopefully the weather is kind tomorrow and I get the chance to give it a proper break in, I did grab a quick couple of shots earlier at 300mm - these were birds on a further back tree, one I never point the camera at because it's too far back [in another garden in fact] - these are cropped, but a hell of a lot less than they would have been with the 150mm I had - well, they wouldn't have been taken in the first place.

P1050368 by K G, on Flickr

P1050362 by K G, on Flickr

The mk1 is capable of some nice images, well done.

The mk1 is capable of some nice images, well done.

Been using it through lunch time here and comparing it to my old MF 200mm. It's certainly a hell of a lot easier to use, it's actually lighter too - by a hair, but somehow the 200 feels that bit heavier as it's all metal.

I have ES on, trying to keep just below 300, shooting from 5.6 - 8, manual mode so I can keep control of the lighting that is constantly changing here ... and ... I'm having fun with it :)

I bought this from MPB, and when it arrived it did not have the original packaging - I had opted for one with the box, they say I clicked the wrong one so there's a mix up somewhere! I definitely wanted one with the box and pouch. Also when I cleaned the lens with a medi-wipe, it was a bit grubby [the wipe ended up almost black] but it cleaned up nicely looks good as new now. I mentioned this to them and they were appalled, seems this one slipped though the cleaning process. Anyway, they have offered me £30 compensation for these reasons - which I gladly accepted. I don't mind cleaning a lens! I do that to all used gear I buy anyway. Turned out to be pretty good value on this one.

As far as I am aware, doesn't IBIS/OIS work like this;

Power OIS = either IBIS/OIS Dual IS (1 or 2 depending on lens) or nothing if you turn it off on the lens
Mega OIS = OIS only or nothing if you turn it off on the lens
No OIS = IBIS only

Thats how I understood it worked ?

Jas

Last edited:
As far as I am aware, doesn't IBIS/OIS work like this;

Power OIS = either IBIS/OIS Dual IS (1 or 2 depending on lens) or nothing if you turn it off on the lens
Mega OIS = OIS only or nothing if you turn it off on the lens
No OIS = IBIS only

Thats how I understood it worked ?

Jas

Seems to be. What's weird is that the Oly 75-300 mkII will benefit from IBIS on a G80, but their own 100-300 mk1 cannot ... it's fine though, as we all agreed, it's not a necessity for lenses this long.

I wish this had been the Stonechat I was trying to photo , I did get him but hes a dot unlike the photograhers friend.

Very nice, I love Robins! My regular one has been very shy lately, bloody starlings chasing him off every time he tries to come in. Atm I'm mostly seeing Blue-tits, Siskin, Sparrow and Starling

Last edited:
Nah, I get Greenfinch too, they are related and similar, but Siskin are not as angry looking :LOL:

Male or female should have black bars on the wing , can't tell by the size of your photo but Siskins are tiny next to the Greenfinch

tues-10-flying-greenfinch-flying-siskin.jpg

Male or female should have black bars on the wing , can't tell by the size of your photo but Siskins are tiny next to the Greenfinch

tues-10-flying-greenfinch-flying-siskin.jpg

You might be right, could be a younger GF maybe? But I get adult GF in and they always remind me of the angry dudes from the Muppet show - and are very clearly green, where this one was much paler, and almost brown on front

Here's a GF from recently -

Green Finch, grumpy, but I love 'em by K G, on Flickr

The beak is the give away deffo a Greenfinch

Think you're right, this one was much less green than usual though, must be a younger one? or some kind of cross breed? I'll change the titles on Flickr (y)

Last edited:
Thats a lovely Greenfinch , they vary in colour a lot but you'll know straight away when you see a Siskin , nigar seeds and sunflower hearts they love .

Took this one with an old point and shoot (lumix of course) through a window some years back

A friend of mine gave me a book on birds a couple years back to help identify what I was shooting. I have gotten better than "green bird" or "small starling looking thing" at least :p

Sometimes it's hard tell them apart. I had a couple of great tits for a while here and I thought they were just fatter coal tits :D

Reactions: BJP
Four out of Four Keith :D , that's really early for a Black Cap another month till we get them .

Four out of Four Keith :D , that's really early for a Black Cap another month till we get them .

I rooted out that bird book to make sure before labeling them :ROFLMAO: I was certain on the other 3, first time seeing a black cap though. It was around again this morn, but I had the wrong lens on to capture. It was in and out real quick, I'm sure it'll be back. Seems to be the peanut-cake and black sunflower seeds I put on the table that drew it in.

Another one of it from yesterday:

Black Cap Feeding by K G, on Flickr

Last edited:
I rooted out that bird book to make sure before labeling them :ROFLMAO: I was certain on the other 3, first time seeing a black cap though. It was around again this morn, but I had the wrong lens on to capture. It was in and out real quick, I'm sure it'll be back. Seems to be the peanut-cake and black sunflower seeds I put on the table that drew it in.

Another one of it from yesterday:

Black Cap Feeding by K G, on Flickr

Some great shots there mate, how you finding the 100-300?

Great shot Keith , we never get them in the garden , see if a female (chestnut cap) shows up .

Aha! That's the difference, bit like Blackbirds so easy enough remember ;)

Some great shots there mate, how you finding the 100-300?

Loving it, I expected it to be a bit of a slouch from reading reviews that compared it to the mkII, but I'm finding it nippy enough with AF, once I keep the AF area small it'll lock on to even the smallest birds. It has hunted here and there, but so did the Oly 40-150, so does my 25mm prime at times ... with only contrast detection you will get this with most lenses. I find it sharp enough for my needs. I do wish it had WR, I was out taking shots of the rainbow other day and it started to lash down, had to cover it up, and I'd like to use IBIS in place of the OIS, but I think that is the only differences between this and the mkII.

One issue: mine has refused to focus after start up a couple of times, I had to switch back off and on then it worked fine, this ever happen to yours?

That Rainbow: (you can see the rain teeming down]

First Rainbow 2018 by K G, on Flickr

Last edited:
One issue: mine has refused to focus after start up a couple of times, I had to switch back off and on then it worked fine, this ever happen to yours?

Strangely enough, yes, it did that the first half dozen times i used it, so i gave the contacts a clean and it's not done it since.

Last edited:
Strangely enough, yes, it did that the first half dozen times i used it, so i gave the contacts a clean and it's not done it since.

I did give it a clean, it needed one when i got it, must give the contacts another going over.

Nice, been trying to get a nice shot of a Bully for ages, the ones around here seem very shy

Also a beauty, I get a few of these in now and then

Trying out the sigma 60mm I bought from @Bearair
Handheld at 1/20 f2.8

Ben doing what Ben does best.... by robert shearer, on Flickr

How are you finding the 60mm? I thought about getting that lens, for now I got the Raynox 250 and when attached to the 100-300 it can give insane macro, beyond 1:1 at the longer end. It's much like a typical macro lens at 100mm, but at 300 it's definitely not one for hand holding, the DOF is razor thin. Nice doggy too :)

Nice, been trying to get a nice shot of a Bully for ages, the ones around here seem very shy

Also a beauty, I get a few of these in now and then

How are you finding the 60mm? I thought about getting that lens, for now I got the Raynox 250 and when attached to the 100-300 it can give insane macro, beyond 1:1 at the longer end. It's much like a typical macro lens at 100mm, but at 300 it's definitely not one for hand holding, the DOF is razor thin. Nice doggy too :)
The 60mm is great. Very sharp. Can't wait to try it on the grandkids.

Hi folks, new member here, you may have seen my short intro?

I bought a Canon 350d years back but not used it much and I’m now looking to get back into photography and been thinking about buying a G9

It’s quite a large chunk of change so I’m just looking for opinions - would you G9 owners still buy the camera again, having used it for a while? Any bad points?

Cheers

Chris

Thaks i have just dug the deleted files out of the trash and will check tomorrow, most of them where sharp but just not what i wanted, here is another from the trash.

View attachment 122275

Oooh, I'd actually prefer that one if you'd managed to keep a bit more of the left side in with the boat!

Hi folks, new member here, you may have seen my short intro?

I bought a Canon 350d years back but not used it much and I’m now looking to get back into photography and been thinking about buying a G9

It’s quite a large chunk of change so I’m just looking for opinions - would you G9 owners still buy the camera again, having used it for a while? Any bad points?

Cheers

Chris

Depends on what you like to shoot, a G80 might do the job, save a bit more for lenses.

Back