"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Yay.....free grip for the G9 turned up from Panasonic - feels brilliant in the hand and very sturdy.

@srhmoto Simon, noticed you have the PL12-60mm and the Oly 12-40mm, apart from the obvious differences, how do you find them both? Looking to buy a fast zoom and I’m leaning towards the Oly. Cheers.

@srhmoto Simon, noticed you have the PL12-60mm and the Oly 12-40mm, apart from the obvious differences, how do you find them both? Looking to buy a fast zoom and I’m leaning towards the Oly. Cheers.

If you want a fast standard zoom, then the Oly simply can’t be beat. It is superb. However, I have Panasonic bodies so can’t take advantage of DFD or dual IS with the 12-40mm. I’m also happy to sacrifice some speed for an extra 20mm of focal length. I also really like the rendering of the Panny Leica optics having previously owned the PL 15mm f1.7 - the Oly can appear very clinical at times. The Oly is probably a little sharper, but any differences are really only evident to extreme pixel peepers.

In all honesty, you just can’t go wrong with either one :)

Cheers,

Simon.

If you want a fast standard zoom, then the Oly simply can’t be beat. It is superb. However, I have Panasonic bodies so can’t take advantage of DFD or dual IS with the 12-40mm. I’m also happy to sacrifice some speed for an extra 20mm of focal length. I also really like the rendering of the Panny Leica optics having previously owned the PL 15mm f1.7 - the Oly can appear very clinical at times. The Oly is probably a little sharper, but any differences are really only evident to extreme pixel peepers.

In all honesty, you just can’t go wrong with either one :)

Cheers,

Simon.

Cheers for that Simon, some food for thought. The PL does look nice, I use Panasonic bodies so having DFD is a big plus for me (kids are annoyingly fast and unpredictable!), off to do abit more research.

Wanted thread for a Pany 100-300 mkii in classified if anyone's looking to offload one.

Gave up on the idea of finding a cheap mkII, so went ahead and ordered the 100-300 mk1 used. Should be plenty good enough for my style, don't really do BIF ... or anything really fast moving tbh, and I will leg it first sign of a downpour :exit::ROFLMAO:

With the money I saved on a MKII I plan to either get a wide angle, like the Samyang 12 F2, or a cheap macro - or both over the coming weeks. A raynox 250 is a possibility, should work nicely on my 25mm and I have heard it actually works well with the 100-300, also need a trigger for my little Godox flash and I'm sorted for a while.

Well you wont be going anywhere with it , I ran out and straight back in after the Fieldfare shot :exit:
I had to go get provisions earlier, the shops were like a scene from the Mist, people scavenging everything they could carry :runaway:

I did take a few photos of the kids out in it, from the safety of the kitchen window, which is where I'd be using the new lens also for the birds. Ah well, no idea when it'll arrive now.

Like dslrs is it advisable to turn off body and lens IS when using a tripod ?

Like dslrs is it advisable to turn off body and lens IS when using a tripod ?

The general opinion is YES.
However, I have seen videos on YouTube that are not quite as emphatic about turning off - I guess it's a suck it and see situation!

I always turn off IS on both lens and body when using a tripod. I have my landscape settings saved on one of the custom modes, so I don't forget to do it.

Simon.

The same for me, have set up a custom mode for landscape use with IS off, rule of thirds and electronic level all on.

I’ve got a swap request in the ‘wanted’ classifieds. I’m wanting a Leica 15mm for my Leica 25mm - hoping for some interest!

Can anyone tell me for certain - With the G80/85, and the 100-300 mk1, is IBIS meant to kick in automatically if the switch on the lens is off? Because mine doesn't seem to, the only IS I'm getting is with the switch on the lens on. Though it seems very good, so I'm wondering is the IBIS for this lens now controlled via this switch?

Can anyone tell me for certain - With the G80/85, and the 100-300 mk1, is IBIS meant to kick in automatically if the switch on the lens is off? Because mine doesn't seem to, the only IS I'm getting is with the switch on the lens on. Though it seems very good, so I'm wondering is the IBIS for this lens now controlled via this switch?

There's a thread in dpreview about this, and the consensus is that it doesn't work with that lens.

I have the G80 and 100-300mk1 and the lens only ibis is enough for me, but it would be nice to have the choice.

There's a thread in dpreview about this, and the consensus is that it doesn't work with that lens.

I have the G80 and 100-300mk1 and the lens only ibis is enough for me, but it would be nice to have the choice.

That's really strange, considering IBIS works even with vintage MF lenses. It's fine, so long as that is the norm with this combination, not something up with mine only. It's not the type of lens you would want to be shooting very slow with. I have given it a quick test and managed sharp shots at 1/30th [more consistent at 1/50th], 300mm - though this was inside in the warmth.

Last edited:

Yes i can tell you for certain that the lens switch overrides the body switch, i wanted lens only with the 100-400 but you cant get it. had this confirmed by Panasonic.

Yes i can tell you for certain that the lens switch overrides the body switch, i wanted lens only with the 100-400 but you cant get it. had this confirmed by Panasonic.

You'd prefer the lens OIS? I think the IBIS on the G80 would be about a stop better than the Mega OIS on the older lenses, but it's not that big a deal. It might be nice for still life, but in general I'll be shooting at high shutter speeds. Even just the OIS on the lens is enough to give a steadier view when composing

Last edited:
Any way of telling that both lens and body IS are working together ?

Only by testing it I guess. I can definitely tell the IBIS knocks off once the lens OIS switch is off, much shakier view. With the OIS on the lens on everything settles and stabilizes, it seems decent but I think it is just the lens OIS .... maybe, will have to test more. I think with the G80 IBIS, even at 300mm, 1/15th should be very doable.

[edit] A quick test around the house tells me it's the OIS being used rather than the IBIS. The best I could manage a few sharp images in a row per length - 1/13th @ 100mm, 1/20th @ 200mm 1/30th witha little more concentration] at 300mm but 1/50th is more realistic.

With my old 40-150 Oly lens using the IBIS I was able to get a sharp image here and there at 1", but 1/5th even at 150mm wasn't difficult. I know this is a bigger lens, but it's not exactly heavy. So my thinking it the lens over rides the IBIS, there is no choice. Still decent, just not as good as it could be. You'll have to buy the mkII for that

Last edited:
I think with the G80 IBIS, even at 300mm, 1/15th should be very doable.

You probably wont go that slow anyway , I still follow the shutter speed exceed focal length rule with bigger telephotos .

You probably wont go that slow anyway , I still follow the shutter speed exceed focal length rule with bigger telephotos .

It's a nice option though, say you wanted to grab a nice night shot of a church on a hill top [random example!] - you could spare the ISO with slower shutter speed. But ... I will be mostly using it for speedy little birds and some portraits :)

Reactions: BJP

There are different icons that show in the viewfinder that are explained in the manual.

On mine, with the G80 and 100-300, there's a hand icon in the viewfinder when the lens ibis is on, turn the ibis off and the hand icon turns red.

Reactions: BJP
There are different icons that show in the viewfinder that are explained in the manual.

On mine, with the G80 and 100-300, there's a hand icon in the viewfinder when the lens ibis is on, turn the ibis off and the hand icon turns red.

Same here, but doesn't say which it's actually using, it just shows that the switch on the lens is controlling it.

I have just managed a 1/20 sharpie at 300 sat in the kitchen :LOL:

I find if i pull back from 300mm to about approx 280-290 i get fractionally sharper images, probably just me though :)

I find if i pull back from 300mm to about approx 280-290 i get fractionally sharper images, probably just me though :)

I have heard that alright. Hopefully the weather is kind tomorrow and I get the chance to give it a proper break in, I did grab a quick couple of shots earlier at 300mm - these were birds on a further back tree, one I never point the camera at because it's too far back [in another garden in fact] - these are cropped, but a hell of a lot less than they would have been with the 150mm I had - well, they wouldn't have been taken in the first place.

P1050368 by K G, on Flickr

P1050362 by K G, on Flickr

Back