"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Thanks, but I'm a lazy sod and want an automatic! I'll have to keep searching - defineilty need one as I miss it as I sued to use a 430 EX on my M50!

Are you looking to use it on or off camera? The Godox is perfect either way but you need to add in the Godox transmitter to fire it off cam. You want the TT350o [the 'o' signifies Olympus, but it works for Panasonic too]

If you want the ability to fire it off cam too you'll need the trigger to match, £106 for the package: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Godox...h=item2f07428c02:g:R74AAOSwLgNaVy86:rk:6:pf:0

My missus got me that flash for Christmas last year, and she got hit by customs so ended up costing her closer to €100/£87

I've been meaning to get the trigger separate ever since, but I have another flash that already has compatible triggers so I only really use the Godox on the hot-shoe when I need TTL - say a family gathering, taking quick fire shots of the kids etc, don't want to be fiddling with settings. It's a fine little flash, only takes 2x AA batteries, but you will want to keep feeding it every 200 shots or so. There is a rechargeable version with a Li-ion batt but it is more expensive, it's the V350o but it'll be about £130 without the trigger

Last edited:
Are you looking to use it on or off camera? The Godox is perfect either way but you need to add in the Godox transmitter to fire it off cam. You want the TT350o [the 'o' signifies Olympus, but it works for Panasonic too]
Oh just on camera, nothing too technical - I just mean for the off family event etc that an extra flash is much better than the inbuilt one!

Oh just on camera, nothing too technical - I just mean for the off family event etc that an extra flash is much better than the inbuilt one!

Godox TT350o it is then, it's small and light and doesn't look silly on camera like bigger flashes can - just aim it up at the ceiling and bounce the light, should be powerful enough for your needs. Where it's weak is in larger, dimmer lit venues, as it's only about half as powerful as larger units - Godox do have bigger models if and when you do need more power though.

Godox TT350o it is then, it's small and light and doesn't look silly on camera like bigger flashes can - just aim it up at the ceiling and bounce the light, should be powerful enough for your needs. Where it's weak is in larger, dimmer lit venues, as it's only about half as powerful as larger units - Godox do have bigger models if and when you do need more power though.

Cheers Keith! appreoacte the help! :)

@the black fox my Vivitar lens arrived this morn, sadly no sign of the adapter yet so I can't test it. I started a new thread for vintage glass so I won't clog this one up with that, surprised there's not been such a thread on here up until now

Ended up winning an Olympus FL360 flash (identical to the Panasonic one just the branding!) for under £40, so looking forward to that one arriving! Will report back - needless to say, glad to have the option of a decent light now for the Panasonic - I got so used to the 430EX on the Canon M50! Talking of which - any offers for some muppet wanting to switch back to Canon, I've got an M50, 18-55. 22, 55-200, 200 2.8, 100-400, and 17-50 2.8 gathering dust. And a Canon D30 (the one from 1999!) gathering dust under the wardrobe! Offers on a post card

If you're not using the Canon M gear just stick it up in classified here. For the right prices they should sell easily enough, the M50 is apparently very popular, despite all the nay sayers across forums.

Just don't advertise it in here, the higher ups do not like that, but once you have the classified thread up you can mention it in passing ;)

Ended up winning an Olympus FL360 flash (identical to the Panasonic one just the branding!) for under £40, so looking forward to that one arriving! Will report back - needless to say, glad to have the option of a decent light now for the Panasonic - I got so used to the 430EX on the Canon M50! Talking of which - any offers for some muppet wanting to switch back to Canon, I've got an M50, 18-55. 22, 55-200, 200 2.8, 100-400, and 17-50 2.8 gathering dust. And a Canon D30 (the one from 1999!) gathering dust under the wardrobe! Offers on a post card

There are two versions of the Olympus flash, the FL36 and the FL36R, if its the latter, it will be branded with 'R' on the front. Both work just fine on an Olympus or Panasonic camera but the R version will also work off camera with almost any Olympus body and certain later Panasonic bodies, using the on camera flash to trigger it. It's an optical wireless system and so needs line of sight to the remote flash and it won't work in bright light, in practise it's quite useful. Panasonic publish compatibility tables for each of their cameras which lists compatibility with both Panasonic and Olympus lenses and equipment and any caveats. For example, my GH3 does support wireless flash on the FL36R as listed below:

http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/connect/gh3.html

There are two versions of the Olympus flash, the FL36 and the FL36R, if its the latter, it will be branded with 'R' on the front. Both work just fine on an Olympus or Panasonic camera but the R version will also work off camera with almost any Olympus body and certain later Panasonic bodies, using the on camera flash to trigger it. It's an optical wireless system and so needs line of sight to the remote flash and it won't work in bright light, in practise it's quite useful. Panasonic publish compatibility tables for each of their cameras which lists compatibility with both Panasonic and Olympus lenses and equipment and any caveats. For example, my GH3 does support wireless flash on the FL36R as listed below:

http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/connect/gh3.html

Sadly it’s just the humble FL36 - bit should do just fine for me! On a different note, I can’t believe how expensive the exact identical Panasonic ones are.. it’s unreal!

Finding this m4/3 lark a bit demanding, not very forgiving in lowlight compared to my Fuji gear.
Results are fine in decent light with good contrast, but to be honest it's hard going a lot of the time

Just bought a spare Fuji body on the classifieds, planning a few trips to places I will probably never visit again.
Decided for those it's got to be the X-Pro2 and the XT-10 I've bought as a spare, just in case.

GX9 is a nice enough camera and with the primes it's handy for days out, but not coming along for the long haul

Finding this m4/3 lark a bit demanding, not very forgiving in lowlight compared to my Fuji gear.
Results are fine in decent light with good contrast, but to be honest it's hard going a lot of the time

Just bought a spare Fuji body on the classifieds, planning a few trips to places I will probably never visit again.
Decided for those it's got to be the X-Pro2 and the XT-10 I've bought as a spare, just in case.

GX9 is a nice enough camera and with the primes it's handy for days out, but not coming along for the long haul

Didn't you know this going in though? That is the biggest issue people have with the system, the low light performance. I just keep the ISO low, I can use slower shutter speeds to compensate as most of the things I shoot don't move much - unlike the cat above :D that one is at 3200 ... it's fine as far as I'm concerned. But I do understand if you're doing more demanding type shooting. I don't do sports, or weddings, or anything really indoors where using flash isn't possible.

The XT10 is a nice little camera, but don't expect it to blow your GX9 away, I had the XT1 and though the ISO performance is better than my G80, it's not outstandingly so.

Didn't you know this going in though? That is the biggest issue people have with the system, the low light performance. I just keep the ISO low, I can use slower shutter speeds to compensate as most of the things I shoot don't move much - unlike the cat above :D that one is at 3200 ... it's fine as far as I'm concerned. But I do understand if you're doing more demanding type shooting. I don't do sports, or weddings, or anything really indoors where using flash isn't possible.

The XT10 is a nice little camera, but don't expect it to blow your GX9 away, I had the XT1 and though the ISO performance is better than my G80, it's not outstandingly so.

To be honest thought it would be better than it is especially with a current model.
My main camera the X-Pro2 does blow the GX9 away apart from size and weight, as I said XT10 was only bought as an emergency back up

To be honest thought it would be better than it is especially with a current model.
My main camera the X-Pro2 does blow the GX9 away apart from size and weight, as I said XT10 was only bought as an emergency back up

I had the xpro1, loved the output but I don't get on with RF style bodies. Prefer my VF centred, just a personal thing, I also prefer chunkier grips - that could be the main reason I went G80 over the Oly em5mkII [did ponder on the Em1 mk1]

Coincidentally, this just went up today:

Very high praise in there for the GX9 Vs an APSC body that costs almost double. He breaks down to pros and cons of both nicely, and since he owns and uses both he tends to be completely non bias.

The only reasons to get the Sony, according to him, would be for video as it has better features, faster fps if you need that and ISO performance, but note that he suggests there is nothing much between them up to 3200, then the Sony takes over easily. On the DR front again, nothing between them, the Panasonic sensors are actually impressive for DR considering the size. He actually recommends the GX9 overall in the end

I should troll the Sony thread with that as they think I'm obsessed with M43 :D but it's the system I've used less than any other [not even a year yet!]. I'm above slating other formats though, I've used them all, and can see the benefits and issues with all of them. If I had the funds I'd probably have at least one of each. I do find it really sad that FF users slag off the smaller sensors way too often, like it's some willy waving competition, we're all mostly hobbiests end of the day and should be encouraging one another, no matter what we use. I don't remember any of these format wars when I started out taking photography a little more seriously. And I was using a bridge cam then with a sensor probably 1/4 the size of M43

Hope you enjoy your Fuji gear :) it's still in back of my mind to go back to it, probably will be so until I give in. But once I have a working camera and a nice lens, what more do I need to produce images good enough to please me? :D

Last edited:
I had the xpro1, loved the output but I don't get on with RF style bodies. Prefer my VF centred, just a personal thing, I also prefer chunkier grips - that could be the main reason I went G80 over the Oly em5mkII [did ponder on the Em1 mk1]

Coincidentally, this just went up today:

Very high praise in there for the GX9 Vs an APSC body that costs almost double. He breaks down to pros and cons of both nicely, and since he owns and uses both he tends to be completely non bias.

The only reasons to get the Sony, according to him, would be for video as it has better features, faster fps if you need that and ISO performance, but note that he suggests there is nothing much between them up to 3200, then the Sony takes over easily. On the DR front again, nothing between them, the Panasonic sensors are actually impressive for DR considering the size. He actually recommends the GX9 overall in the end

I should troll the Sony thread with that as they think I'm obsessed with M43 :D but it's the system I've used less than any other [not even a year yet!]. I'm above slating other formats though, I've used them all, and can see the benefits and issues with all of them. If I had the funds I'd probably have at least one of each. I do find it really sad that FF users slag off the smaller sensors way too often, like it's some willy waving competition, we're all mostly hobbiests end of the day and should be encouraging one another, no matter what we use. I don't remember any of these format wars when I started out taking photography a little more seriously.

Hope you enjoy your Fuji gear :) it's still in back of my mind to go back to it, probably will be so until I give in. But once I have a working camera and a nice lens, what more do I need to produce images good enough to please me? :D

I prefer RF style bodies hence the Pro2 and GX9, used Fuji exclusively for a fair few years and never intended changing over completely.
It's nice using small primes and a light camera with ibis, but in my case the photos are not pleasing me overly much.

Went to Antwerp recently and took the GX9, photos were OK, but know they would have been better with the Pro2 and 10-24
Each to their own, m4/3 was an itch I wanted to scratch, it certainly has its plus points, but not enough for me.

Good luck with whatever you decide to use, what else indeed do you need or should that be want?

Good luck with whatever you decide to use, what else indeed do you need or should that be want?

Tbh, it's more about the experience than the gear, always has been. Once I have something that gets me out in the fresh air shooting, it's worth it, no matter the make or model. When i sold on the XT1 and xpro1, the original idea was to jump to the XT2, that had always been the plan. I can't know if the choice I made was right or wrong until I try that route again. Instead at the time I bought the G80 new, and an em5 used - the IBIS was intriguing to me as I knew I'd want to adapt old lenses at some point. Which I do, and they work great! They're better on there than they were on the XT1 because of it. But ... I do miss Fuji at times, I do really like their format, and I can't have both. But, nobody is buying used G80 these days, not for what I'd want them to pay at least, so I'm happy enough to stay for now. I think my images in general will be much of a muchness no matter. It's only the gear is different, the feel, the look, the options for each system. The only advantage I'd get from Fuji is high ISO performance - well, they have some primes I really like too - I'd lose IBIS, touch screen, the extra reach for old tele and macro lenses and juicy lenses like the Oly 12-40 I just purchased. I benefit and lose either way, kind of.

All great particularly this one as we own a cat and the stunning detail here. Your proving what a superb lens the 12 - 40 is.

31897065918_f40f6e002e_c.jpg

All great particularly this one as we own a cat and the stunning detail here. Your proving what a superb lens the 12 - 40 is.

31897065918_f40f6e002e_c.jpg

It's such a nice lens, possibly a candidate for the best within standard range for M43, for a zoom at least. I like quirky perspectives at times, and well, that cat is forever trying to head butt my camera or lenses when I get down close :D

It's such a nice lens, possibly a candidate for the best within standard range for M43, for a zoom at least. I like quirky perspectives at times, and well, that cat is forever trying to head butt my camera or lenses when I get down close :D
Cus he loves you

All being well i'm at the NEC Classic car show Saturday with my son and want to try out the 12 -40 lens. Because of the horrible colour cast you get from indoor lighting what setting on the GX8 should i set the camera to? Does it automatically adjust the white balance?I've had a look in that section and all it shows is WB on a scale of warm to cold.

All being well i'm at the NEC Classic car show Saturday with my son and want to try out the 12 -40 lens. Because of the horrible colour cast you get from indoor lighting what setting on the GX8 should i set the camera to? Does it automatically adjust the white balance?I've had a look in that section and all it shows is WB on a scale of warm to cold.

There's custom WB saves on the G80, not sure on the GX8, I'm guessing the same? Go all the way to the end of the WB choices and you'll see the Kelvin adjustment and custom WB slots. I think you can have up to 3, so you can switch between them for different areas of the venue. Look for something white in each area, and use the custom WB set up there while aiming at the white.

[edit] went and grabbed the camera, always better hands on :D - you actually get 4 custom slots. Simply choose 1, push up on the direction pad to start, aim it at something white in the room you're shooting and press 'set' - that's that one done.

Last edited:
A few from earlier, surprisingly a couple of these were Jpegs tweaked a bit in LR. I never shoot Jpeg, when i do it's Jpeg + RAW, just wanted to see how they'd turn out, nothing to complain about tbh

Dusk by K G, on Flickr
Journey by K G, on Flickr
Iris by K G, on Flickr

Last one of the aperture is a bit shakey, because the front element of the 12-40 was pretty much pressed up against the element of the Vivitar lens, I was also holding an LED light shining it through to illuminate the inside of the lens. That and it's shot at 0.4sec one-handed

Good set Keith , love the sun on the car

Excellent close up there Jeff, oh how I would love that lens! Some day ...

Canon EOS R video peeps will not want to look at this one - Peter Gregg pits it directly against the GH5s and the Pany slays it, and they say Panasonic video AF sucks - Flick to 6:20 [I tried to grab the link to start at that point, doesn't seem to work on here]

The Canon's AF is dreadful, looks worse than a G80 pre-FW updates

Last edited:
Oops

He says there's not much chance of the AF firmware update for the G80, the recent one the higher end bodies just got. The G9 is looking really tempting for anyone into video then, as it's not just got a vastly improved AF update but the prices are dropping too. Barely over a grand now on the likes of HDEW

Back