"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Nice, here's me trying to find a bargain on the 45-150 kit lens :D [might have found one locally btw]

That’s the panny one isn’t it? Nice compact little one! I do like the Leica 25mm - prefer the 1.4! Still not convinced to sell the M50! I’m convinced the M50 shows far more res when I zoom in a bit (doesn’t get pixelated) [emoji85]

That’s the panny one isn’t it? Nice compact little one! I do like the Leica 25mm - prefer the 1.4! Still not convinced to sell the M50! I’m convinced the M50 shows far more res when I zoom in a bit (doesn’t get pixelated) [emoji85]

Aye the teensy mid zoom. I plan to double it as a macro option too, I have a Raynox attachment that should work excellent with it.

If your images are getting pixelated, you're zooming in far too much! Are you talking on cam or when processing? If you have your camera set to RAW only the preview is not full res, set it to JPEG fine + Raw, then you get the full res Jeg when pixel peeping on the LCD.

Last edited:
If your images are getting pixelated, you're zooming in far too much! Are you talking on cam or when processing? If you have your camera set to RAW only the preview is not full res, set it to JPEG fine + Raw, then you get the full res Jeg when pixel peeping on the LCD.

But doesn't seem like I am! This is just on my iPad, had them process din camera and zoom in and they don't look too good! This is in camera RAW processing! I think its just me being picky!

But doesn't seem like I am! This is just on my iPad, had them process din camera and zoom in and they don't look too good! This is in camera RAW processing! I think its just me being picky!

Don't know what to tell you, but the M50 is a 1.6x crop so not much better tbh, it'll be slightly better res but should not be so noticeable. Are you sure you have the cam set to shoot the best quality files? Maybe the program you use on the pad is reducing the res? I can view my files in LR at 200% and they still look good.

Got to agree with Keith yet again , pixelisation is something I have never yet encountered on either of my MFT bodies ,in fact I did a virtual 100% crop yesterday of a kestrel in flight and it’s still sharp , now the summer heat haze has gone distance shots are a lot sharper ,

I just bagged a 45-150 locally, managed to knock €40 off their asking price - boxed, as new for peanuts :) should have it by end of the week, have to nip to the bank to transfer funds and they will post it out tomorrow hopefully.

I think its me being hard work to be honest! I think I know the size of the sensor so I "look" for a reason to notice it is too small in the end result; Think its far more me than the equipment - blame me! haha!

See I'm the opposite in general, the only time I even think about sensor size is when someone else brings it up. And that really only happens on these forums.

Seriously thinking of moving to MFT only now, I would not of sold the G7 if I could of got a grip as Cagey75 suggested, (thanks, its a real pity they do not make one for the G7). So now I am looking at the G80 with 12-60 and an aftermarket grip.
So any comments on the G80? Whats the Panasonic 12-60 like? and anyone using an aftermarket grip? Any opinions, anyone?

Seriously thinking of moving to MFT only now, I would not of sold the G7 if I could of got a grip as Cagey75 suggested, (thanks, its a real pity they do not make one for the G7). So now I am looking at the G80 with 12-60 and an aftermarket grip.
So any comments on the G80? Whats the Panasonic 12-60 like? and anyone using an aftermarket grip? Any opinions, anyone?

Not used the 12-60 but I hear it's decent enough, you get dual IS with it on the G80 which is nice. I had the official grip, sold it on to fund a lens at the time but was kinda sorry later. It would be nice to have for tele lenses. I find the G80 comfy enough though as is - And the battery life is pretty good. I did have a loan of a G7 for a couple of weeks when my original G80 was in for repair and didn't like the feel of it as much. It's lighter and didn't feel as sturdy. The G80 feels more solid, beefy for it's size, it's more comfortable to hold say than any of the Fuji bodies and any of the Olympus besides maybe the EM1 mkII. But going on third party grips I've had for other cameras in the past, they should be just fine. Meike are always pretty good, hard to tell the difference between their copies and the original.

If you do decide to give it a go you'll find the G80 a better performer in general. IBIS alone is responsible for a lot of that but images will also be that bit sharper as they removed the AA filter on this one. It's also weather sealed so you won't be as concerned getting caught in showers! You also get the bonus of electronic shutter as well as the mechanical, so you can shoot up to 1/16000 in bright sunny weather. It's also silent in this mode, even the mech shutter is a lot quieter than the G7, more pleasant to the touch too. Other than that I think they're much the same.

I use the 12-60mm kit lens and it's great for the money. I've no complaints.

12-60 is good - sharp and really good focal length. I only sold mine as I had bought the Lumix X 12-34 lens - and thought I'd rather sacrifice a little at the zoom end for a constant 2.8. Can't go wrong with it though, think I ended up selling mine (was part of a kit with the G80) for about £160. Made the cost of the body come to only around £300 after this sale so quite happy!

Same from me , love my g80 , there is a learning curve and even after 9 months it’s still throwing up new tricks . I’m a big lad and have no problem with handling and the 12-60 is tack sharp . You won’t go wrong with this set up

I,ll add to my previous post I don’t think you will need a grip with this body it’s the right size for big hands

It's definitely not needed, but when I did have the grip it was super comfy, and you have that spare battery always on cam. With 2 in you shouldn't need to change out any over a full day of constant shooting. You also get the shutter button in portrait orientation. Of course, you can take it off when you want to go light.

Thank you all for your excellent advice, I think the G80 will suit me well with the option to go for a grip if I feel I need one. Cannot yet decide whether to go for the 12-40 2.8 or the 12-60 from Panasonic. I think funds will be the deciding factor as it will all be quite an investment(for me) since I intend to get the Pano 100mm-400mm at the same time.

Thank you all for your excellent advice, I think the G80 will suit me well with the option to go for a grip if I feel I need one. Cannot yet decide whether to go for the 12-40 2.8 or the 12-60 from Panasonic. I think funds will be the deciding factor as it will all be quite an investment(for me) since I intend to get the Pano 100mm-400mm at the same time.

If it helps, or not, since I got the 12-40 2.8 I hate taking it off the camera :D It can pretty much do everything I need bar tele shots of course. I have a 45-150 on the way to cover the mid to long range, and a 200mm old prime for a bit extra when needed. If you mostly shoot at the wider end it's very hard to beat the 12-40 Oly, such a beauty. It can focus down to 20cm with a magnification reproduction of 1:3.3 - which is incredible for a short zoom, you're bordering on very decent macro territory here. It balances nicely on the G80 too, it looks the part, has nice weight to it, nobody would accuse it of being a cheap looking combo, it says "Serious shooter right here" :D

panag801240.jpg

I did consider the Pana-Leica 12-60 2.8-4 also, I don't think you can go wrong with either one. I chose the constant aperture above the extra reach, depends on your priorities.

I have just realised - as much as I like this 45mm Leica I picked up... I already have this covered in the Leica 12-35mm 2.8 and the same aperture! So I reckon its going to be up for sale here again shortly! XD

My 100-400 virtually never comes off the body ,stunning combo from summer close ups to b.i.f it handles all with ease

I have just realised - as much as I like this 45mm Leica I picked up... I already have this covered in the Leica 12-35mm 2.8 and the same aperture! So I reckon its going to be up for sale here again shortly! XD

Isn't the 45mm a 1:1 macro though? Maybe you'd have been better off with the Olympus 60mm to give a much different perspective for standard shooting outside of macro

Hi guys. I normally shoot my M4/3 bird images on my OMD-EM1.2 , but yesterday I decided to give the G9 a go. Whilst I must admit I preferred the "bulk" of the G9 and grip with the Olympus 300mm F4 mounted as compared to the smaller EM1.2, I found the AF-C much more "nervous". I know that due to the DFD technology used my Panasonic, you get that shimmering effect as the camera fines tunes the focus in the viewfinder, but using very similar settings to my EM1.2 (i.e similar ISO's, shutter speeds etc), I was finding a greater number of OOF images (but just slightly OOF i.e. just a little soft - not tack sharp) on the G9 compared to the Olympus.

I tried all the AF set up presets (from 1 though to 4) and none of them seemed to be much better than the next. Now I'm not talking BIF, but birds flitting on and off a feeder or climbing a tree or branch - hardy a tough test for a "pro" level camera I'd have thought ? Is this just due to me using an Olympus lens and therefore not actually getting the full DFD effect ?

So out of interest, what settings do you guys use for moving birds (but not necessarily BIF) please ?

Last edited:
Hi guys. I normally shoot my M4/3 bird images on my OMD-EM1.2 , but yesterday I decided to give the G9 a go. Whilst I must admit I preferred the "bulk" of the G9 and grip with the Olympus 300mm F4 mounted as compared to the smaller EM1.2, I found the AF-C much more "nervous". I know that due to the DFD technology used my Panasonic, you get that shimmering effect as the camera fines tunes the focus in the viewfinder, but using very similar settings to my EM1.2 (i.e similar ISO's, shutter speeds etc), I was finding a greater number of OOF images (but just slightly OOF i.e. just a little soft - not tack sharp) on the G9 compared to the Olympus.

I tried all the AF set up presets (from 1 though to 4) and none of them seemed to be much better than the next. Now I'm not talking BIF, but birds flitting on and off a feeder or climbing a tree or branch - hardy a tough test for a "pro" level camera I'd have thought ? Is this just due to me using an Olympus lens and therefore not actually getting the full DFD effect ?

So out of interest, what settings do you guys use for moving birds (but not necessarily BIF) please ?

Tbh, I find MF easier for these situations. Pre-focus where the birds are landing and taking off, no hunting, no jittering or breathing of the lens, it's going to lock onto that area you've set in focus no matter what's happening there. When I do use AF lenses I'm depending a bit on the birds not being overly erratic. You could try switching the AF-S mode to AFF, which micro-adjusts for smaller movements with the shutter button half pressed, some find it more useful than AFC for macro for example. Set one of the Fn buttons to switch to it on the fly and see if it improves anything. I don't have a G9 but I'm sure it's on there same as the G80

"“AFF” is an abbreviation of “Auto Focus Flexible”.
In this mode, focusing is performed automatically
when the shutter button is pressed halfway.
If the subject moves while the shutter button is
pressed halfway, the focus is corrected to match the
movement automatically."

Last edited:
Cheers Keith, I'll give that a try.

You could try switching the AF-S mode to AFF, which micro-adjusts for smaller movements with the shutter button half pressed, some find it more useful than AFC for macro for example. Set one of the Fn buttons to switch to it on the fly and see if it improves anything. I don't have a G9 but I'm sure it's on there same as the G80

"“AFF” is an abbreviation of “Auto Focus Flexible”.
In this mode, focusing is performed automatically
when the shutter button is pressed halfway.
If the subject moves while the shutter button is
pressed halfway, the focus is corrected to match the
movement automatically."
you learn something new every day , just switched to that Keith sounds a good alternative for flitty birds on feeders , will update once used

Last edited:
you learn something new every day , just switched to that Keith sounds a good alternative for flitty birds on feeders , will update once used

I've used it here and there for skittish insects, generally MF for macro but sometimes AF is just quicker for the wee faster movers

My 45-150 has just arrived, of course the weather out there is pants, it's dark as hell with 99.9999% chance of rain, or maybe Hail! But good news for me is the lens is pretty much brand new, looks like it never left the box. Nice, what a dinky little thing it is too :D

yep they are that

For anyone who owns the 45-150, make sure you update the firmware to 1.2, then you can avail od Dual IS - should improve hand-holding at slower shutter speeds a bit

Last edited:
A few little birdies - G80 + 45-150

aTITude by K G, on Flickr

Curious Cole Tit by K G, on Flickr

Cautious Coal by K G, on Flickr

Shy Chaffy by K G, on Flickr

Coal Tit by K G, on Flickr

Can't really complain about this little lens, any sharper and you'd be faking it! A little more reach would be nice of course, these are all cropped in - but there's nowt but blurred backdrop omitted really. I do have to get closer than usual, on a couple of these I was stood on a chair pushed over closer to the trees in the garden :D

All shot wide open at 5.6 150mm, bar the Chaffinch that was shot at 7.1 against very harsh back light

Last edited:
can't knock them Keith , quality shots

We enjoyed a week in the Lake district last week. A little late for the best of autumn but still some nice colour in the foliage.

No stunning shots from the top of Helvellyn etc, we are too bloody ancient for climbing mountains in cold/wet weather.

Weather was very overcast and grey for most of the week so not even a few nice skies.

Ok, enough excuses :( a few of the pics I took.

GX20 and Lumix 12-35mm f2.8

i-CZBZWcq-X2.jpg

i-mKSQDFn-X2.jpg

i-LrqGjKH-X2.jpg

i-Hmwsg67-X2.jpg

i-4T9PwVN-X2.jpg

i-BVcGfND-X2.jpg

i-9N4Mbc4-X2.jpg

good set roy

Back