"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Probably best to get them from Ebay.
I might package the lot up and get shot of them in one hit on the classifieds
No worries. Appreciate you probably don’t want to start splitting stuff.

Like I say. I’m in no rush. Going to just use the camera as is for a couple of months before I make decisions on lens/eye cups/batteries etc.

Still trying to figure out how best to set up the G9. This morning, I tried the Animal Detect focus setting, along with a reasonably-sized single AF square, as per the article Ian linked to a few days ago. The only thing I didn't use was the back button focus. Alas, almost nothing was in focus - I tried single shot, and the two various speeds of burst mode, and ended up with something like 300 frames! I kept... three. That's what... a 1% hit-rate? :-( I shall try back-button focus soon, but first I'm going to revert to how I used the G80 - which was a small single-point of focus which I place on the target by moving the camera. It seems that this simple approach is best for me - letting the camera do the focus work through all the clever trickery just isn't working yet. I suspect the fact that it was still dark,and quite misty when I got down to the canal didn't help - had to ramp up the ISO to 2000 and the shutter speed down - so the lack of sharpness may be camera shake (but then the lens and the camera both have stabilisation). Also the resulting images were way too noisy for my liking,

Not getting too despondent yet, but I must admit, it's turning into a steep G9 learning curve. Below is one of the three keepers - a blackbird, I assume? Obviously not in flight, and there's not much of interest other than the eye is in focus. In other news, it was a really nice walk and I did see two flocks of cormorants, numbering in excess of thirty. No wonder angling on the canal is hard!

Blackbird.jpg

Still trying to figure out how best to set up the G9. This morning, I tried the Animal Detect focus setting, along with a reasonably-sized single AF square, as per the article Ian linked to a few days ago. The only thing I didn't use was the back button focus. Alas, almost nothing was in focus - I tried single shot, and the two various speeds of burst mode, and ended up with something like 300 frames! I kept... three. That's what... a 1% hit-rate? :-( I shall try back-button focus soon, but first I'm going to revert to how I used the G80 - which was a small single-point of focus which I place on the target by moving the camera. It seems that this simple approach is best for me - letting the camera do the focus work through all the clever trickery just isn't working yet. I suspect the fact that it was still dark,and quite misty when I got down to the canal didn't help - had to ramp up the ISO to 2000 and the shutter speed down - so the lack of sharpness may be camera shake (but then the lens and the camera both have stabilisation). Also the resulting images were way too noisy for my liking,

Not getting too despondent yet, but I must admit, it's turning into a steep G9 learning curve. Below is one of the three keepers - a blackbird, I assume? Obviously not in flight, and there's not much of interest other than the eye is in focus. In other news, it was a really nice walk and I did see two flocks of cormorants, numbering in excess of thirty. No wonder angling on the canal is hard!

View attachment 379179
Probably won't help you, but for birds on the ground, I rarely use anything fancy, just spot or single area focus, and rarely any burst mode.

I have used the tracking to lock onto hover flies with the 100-300 lens, and as long as I can keep them in the viewfinder, it stays locked quite well.

For BIF I use a larger focus area, but not extending to the edge of the frame, as I found I kept getting a tree or similar on the edge of the frame that it focussed on.

Again, I don't use burst mode.

I use burst to capture things where a change will make a difference, as in facial expressions, or a bird taking off or landing.
Or if a kangaroo ran down the road, I would probably use tracking and burst :) (Impossible here, just an example)

I assume you have looked in the manual? It does cover it quite well.

You might find this interesting as well https://www.panasonic.com/content/d...umix-af-guidebook/LUMIX_AF_Guidebook_1809.pdf

I don't tend to use any fancy features unless there is a need, or they provide a solution to a problem

View attachment 379179
I will be interested to see other replies to this.
I use a G80 and tend to focus as you do, small area locked on subject. Although I do use BBF on occasion. The more auto functions don't cut it for me, not on my TZ 90 either.
Looking forward to hearing how the auto users make it work.

Hi folks, just wondered if anyone had any feedback on the Panasonic 8mm f3.5 LUMIX G Fisheye Micro Four Thirds Lens? Went to Lichfield cathedral earlier and had great fun with the 9mm Olympus lens so thought I would look at some more serious options. There is only one that I can see on WEX for my L Mount so thought I'd check out M4/3 options also. Any comments would be great.

Following on from this morning's post I thought I'd go back to basics. These two were taken in the garden, but the same lens and the same ISO 2000. This time just a single small point AF. Much happier with the sharpness here.

52640491845_5297561d0a_c.jpg

52640491685_cdfb50c7a5_c.jpg

Following on from this morning's post I thought I'd go back to basics. These two were taken in the garden, but the same lens and the same ISO 2000. This time just a single small point AF. Much happier with the sharpness here.

52640491845_5297561d0a_c.jpg

52640491685_cdfb50c7a5_c.jpg
Looks more like I would expect :)

I bought a G9 before Xmas but can’t seem to get on with it, it doesn’t really suit my style, seriously considering swapping to GX9.
Would I regret this move?

I bought a G9 before Xmas but can’t seem to get on with it, it doesn’t really suit my style, seriously considering swapping to GX9.
What is it about the G9 you don't like? I have both and love my GX9. They are very similar in terms of output / settings - G9 a higher spec but handling wise completely different. I do wish the GX9 had a slightly deeper grip on it, but I think the G9 feels great in the hand.

Hard to say, i've got both and enjoy using them albeit they are very different.
Up to now I have used the GX9 a lot more, but recently been taking the larger camera out a lot more.
What don't you like about the G9?
Have you ever tried any of the 20mp Olympus cameras?

Last edited:
I couldn’t get on with mine. Great ergonomics, great IQ, but I couldn’t get attached to it. Moved to the Olympus E-M1iii. Slightly poorer ergonomics but somehow it felt better for me. Go with what feels good to you, don’t be swayed by others but by all means hear their own reasonings. Everyone is different.

I couldn’t get on with mine. Great ergonomics, great IQ, but I couldn’t get attached to it. Moved to the Olympus E-M1iii. Slightly poorer ergonomics but somehow it felt better for me. Go with what feels good to you, don’t be swayed by others but by all means hear their own reasonings. Everyone is different.
Thought you had the E-M5 iii or have I lost track?

I have had all three E-M1's and still prefer the G9 although its the GX9 that invariably goes with me on my travels.
Probably my favourite camera of any I have owned, some of it is sentimental, but mainly because its an excellent camera.

Last edited:
Thought you had the E-M5 iii or have I lost track?

I have had all three E-M1's and still prefer the G9 although its the GX9 that invariably goes with me on my travels.
Probably my favourite camera of any I have owned, some of it is sentimental, but mainly because its an excellent camera.
As well! I actually prefer using the 5 but the 1 has some unique features which I sometimes need.

I have the GX80 rather than the GX9, and it's a very different beast to the G9. If I'm heading into town, or going out on the bike, it's the smaller GX80 I take. The G9 accompanies me (as the G80 did previously) when I want to use a longer lens - generally the 100-300. I did take the GX80 on holiday with the 35-100 and that lens was fine on the GX80, So it's only the really big lens where I think the G9 is a necessity. For street / urban work I much prefer the smaller footprint of the GX.

Hard to say, i've got both and enjoy using them albeit they are very different.
Up to now I have used the GX9 a lot more, but recently been taking the larger camera out a lot more.
What don't you like about the G9?
Have you ever tried any of the 20mp Olympus cameras?
I have a gx7 which I have repurchased it just feels better as a walk about camera
most of my shooting is done either whilst dog walking or just wandering in town, the local park or out and about in general, to be honest the g9 was bought on a whim coz it was on offer at John Lewis.
I think i will just cut my losses and sell it

I have a gx7 which I have repurchased it just feels better as a walk about camera
most of my shooting is done either whilst dog walking or just wandering in town, the local park or out and about in general, to be honest the g9 was bought on a whim coz it was on offer at John Lewis.
I think i will just cut my losses and sell it
Give us a shout/link, if you do decide to sell your G9 (obviously dealing within the forum classified rules)...im in no real rush to get a G9, but it would be nice to upgrade from my G80...........................although, i would like to try a 35-100mm 2.8 lens first. My season, wont get underway until March, so i dont plan on shooting any pics for awhile yet. Cheers Paul.

Give us a shout/link, if you do decide to sell your G9 (obviously dealing within the forum classified rules)...im in no real rush to get a G9, but it would be nice to upgrade from my G80...........................although, i would like to try a 35-100mm 2.8 lens first. My season, wont get underway until March, so i dont plan on shooting any pics for awhile yet. Cheers Paul.
I will be making a decision in the next couple of weeks. I will give you a heads up when I am listing it
gary

I will be making a decision in the next couple of weeks. I will give you a heads up when I am listing it
gary
Thanks Gary.
Maybe you need to give the G9 a proper outing, a good session for a fair few hours, with a few 100 images captured. Even use it side by side with your other camera, process/compare both sets of images, that way youve given it a good chance...who knows, you may get to like it.
Cheers Paul.

I like the evf in the corner cameras but I have had a G1, G7 and currently a G100. I like the evf in the corner cameras because they're small but I gather they may not have the focus tracking abilities of the larger cameras or some of the other features. I still like them though as I just take one shot at a time and don't use tracking.

Thanks Gary.
Maybe you need to give the G9 a proper outing, a good session for a fair few hours, with a few 100 images captured. Even use it side by side with your other camera, process/compare both sets of images, that way youve given it a good chance...who knows, you may get to like it.
Cheers Paul.
Unfortunately I just don’t feel comfortable using an slr styled camera anymore, it seems much more natural to me, to use a rangefinder style

Last edited:
Another pre-dawn walk down by the canal trying to figure out the G9. Today I kept things really simple - AFC, but a very small single point of focus, Had to ramp the ISO up and the shutter speed down because of the lack of light, and kept the aperture as wide as possible, So birds in flight were out, but these two shots were okay. I'm going to have to start going out in better light, but then, of course, you get people out there...

Duck.jpg
Crow-2.jpg

Well , one bottle of red later

GX8 on its way , G9 now feeling left out, will have to go soon

luckily the other half only sees black cameras so as long as only one around at time I may be able to deflect any flak for a couple of days

Well , one bottle of red later

GX8 on its way , G9 now feeling left out, will have to go soon

luckily the other half only sees black cameras so as long as only one around at time I may be able to deflect any flak for a couple of days

Merlot powered shopping. I know it well. :D

Well just thought I’d post a quick update on the GX9 and my use.

As for use, not as much as I’d like but I have managed to get it setup just right I feel.

Haven’t had it out of manual and just seems to work great. Even finding the ex. comp dial fine in use which I gather some find not so great.
Have switched the cursor keys to always move focus box and put everything into the Q Menu.

Im so so on the 12-32. Not so much quality more I want faster!
Was out earlier in the week on a very grey day and even wide open I was struggling to keep shutter speed fast enough to avoid shake. Technique might need some work.

Still intend to get the 20 1.7 but also weighing up the 42.5 for when I fancy a bit more reach or, the 12-35 2.8, but that’s an outlier at present.

A couple of shots from earlier today walking home from work. I’m enjoying L.Monochrome D btw!

169B0C53-413A-4B84-80D2-49889B50B0ED.jpeg

D54B07A7-54D0-4C30-964E-55A52BF99E7E.jpeg

AA9918FB-D6FB-419D-BA2C-0F2E6143922A.jpeg

Im so so on the 12-32. Not so much quality more I want faster!
Was out earlier in the week on a very grey day and even wide open I was struggling to keep shutter speed fast enough to avoid shake. Technique might need some work.

Still intend to get the 20 1.7 but also weighing up the 42.5 for when I fancy a bit more reach or, the 12-35 2.8, but that’s an outlier at present.

"I was struggling to keep shutter speed fast enough to avoid shake"

Did you actually see signs of shake, or just working by "old theory" ?
Reason I ask is that the stabilisation should give useful advantage. I find I can use 1/15 without too much trouble on the 12-32.

Another possible option is the 12-60 Power OIS, then you can use dual stabilisation, which makes things quite a bit better.

If you are using JPEG, you can set the sharpening and noise reduction as low as it will go, and then you can use one stop faster ISO, and denoise and sharpen with software later, (and always sharpen last of all, watching carefully for any halo or artefacts)

If you are using RAW, you will have that advantage already.

The 20mm 1.7 has quite a few things going for it, and it is the only prime I have kept. (No, not true, I also have kept the 9mm "lens cap", which give surprisingly good results when the distortion is corrected, and is also very small)

"I was struggling to keep shutter speed fast enough to avoid shake"

Did you actually see signs of shake, or just working by "old theory" ?
Reason I ask is that the stabilisation should give useful advantage. I find I can use 1/15 without too much trouble on the 12-32.

Another possible option is the 12-60 Power OIS, then you can use dual stabilisation, which makes things quite a bit better.

If you are using JPEG, you can set the sharpening and noise reduction as low as it will go, and then you can use one stop faster ISO, and denoise and sharpen with software later, (and always sharpen last of all, watching carefully for any halo or artefacts)

If you are using RAW, you will have that advantage already.

The 20mm 1.7 has quite a few things going for it, and it is the only prime I have kept. (No, not true, I also have kept the 9mm "lens cap", which give surprisingly good results when the distortion is corrected, and is also very small)
No. Noticed it in the files.
The condition/light was atrocious though and if I recall shutter speeds were slower than 1/30.
Equally could be me getting used to the smaller body.

I will have a look at the 12-60 but think I’ll go with the primes first.

As for Raw/Jpg. I only shoot raw. Habit more than anything and the files were no good imo.
I’ll keep playing. Doesn’t detract from the camera just more than likely poor conditions on the day.

I'm yet to be really convinced about the stabilisation - this on the G80, the GX80, and the G9. In the reviews we read about three, four, or even five stops of stabilisation, but I'm always very wary. My shooting always seems to be in low-light at the moment, and therefore I also seem to be down at 1/30th or 1/15th and there's always a lack of sharpness. In the defence of IS I've never scientifically set out to see if it's something else, so I'm likely to be talking rubbish.

Regarding the 12-32, I love that lens! I use it on the little GM1, for which I think it was designed, and I've always been amazed at the results. That said, when I'm out with that camera it tends to be when I'm cycling which tends to mean daylight, and thus the light is better.

Derek

I don't tend to use slow shutter speeds because the world and things in it tend to move and I'm mostly therefore going to want to freeze that movement, The architectural pictures above probably could be taken with a slow shutter speed and IS but for many subjects and scenarios slow shutter speeds and even IS aren't really needed.

I remember I once took a 20mm shot (this was with FF) at 1 second handheld and it was ok. I couldn't do that every time and IS would certainly up the odds of being able to do it but outside of truly static shots or when deliberately trying to capture movement like silky water shots I don't see slow shutter speeds or IS as being all that useful.

Regarding the 12-32, I love that lens!
Don’t get me wrong. I am happy with the lens it just wasn’t up to the conditions on that day without a tripod which I didn’t have. Otherwise I’m decent light it’s been spot on.

I don't tend to use slow shutter speeds because the world and things in it tend to move and I'm mostly therefore going to want to freeze that movement, The architectural pictures above probably could be taken with a slow shutter speed and IS but for many subjects and scenarios slow shutter speeds and even IS aren't really needed.
No. I like to keep shutter up also. Indeed the shots a pice from a different day were and posed no issue.
Thaw day in question though was a tripod/not bother/faster lens day!

So the Pana Leica 100-400mm arrived today, used but in good condition, nice and clean, only the tripod mount shows use on the base, to be expected.

A few shots out the bedroom window, and the burst rate seems to have increased with the Power OIS.

The zoom is stiff, on one occasion I thought it was at 400mm but it wasn't, it had just hit a slight sticky point and then I realised I had not turned it all the way through. But I am not worried about this, just need to get used to being a bit firmer with this lens compared to the 100-300mm Mega OIS.

I'm yet to be really convinced about the stabilisation - this on the G80, the GX80, and the G9. In the reviews we read about three, four, or even five stops of stabilisation, but I'm always very wary. My shooting always seems to be in low-light at the moment, and therefore I also seem to be down at 1/30th or 1/15th and there's always a lack of sharpness. In the defence of IS I've never scientifically set out to see if it's something else, so I'm likely to be talking rubbish.

Regarding the 12-32, I love that lens! I use it on the little GM1, for which I think it was designed, and I've always been amazed at the results. That said, when I'm out with that camera it tends to be when I'm cycling which tends to mean daylight, and thus the light is better.

Derek
This is a demonstration of the GX9 IBIS effectiveness I posted on another website.
G9 is even better, some people suspect a faulty IBIS module, who knows?.
Both taken with exactly the same settings barely a minute apart. (15mm, 1/4 sec, iso200, f/2.8)

With
adc5319a2e4f4769bab6650c88269e6f.jpg
Without
edbd1cb82bf54e57a25583f93f28e330.jpg

This is a demonstration of the GX9 IBIS effectiveness I posted on another website.
G9 is even better, some people suspect a faulty IBIS module, who knows?.
Both taken with exactly the same settings barely a minute apart. (15mm, 1/4 sec, iso200, f/2.8)

With
View attachment 379758
Without
View attachment 379759
Pretty easy to see the benefit.

I don’t doubt my ibis was/is working i honestly think it was just the conditions and probably me needing to adapt to the small camera vs the much bigger X-T4 which I can get a good two handed grip on.

Pretty easy to see the benefit.

I don’t doubt my ibis was/is working i honestly think it was just the conditions and probably me needing to adapt to the small camera vs the much bigger X-T4 which I can get a good two handed grip on.
I have had my GX9 pretty much since it was launched and never had a problem with the IBIS.
Admittedly the G9 is maybe a stop or so better, but both give me a decent advantage.
Only reason I left Fuji was when they said they wouldn't ever make a camera with IBIS, they lied and did exactly the opposite.
Bit late by then once I had sold all my gear, its very important to me and my shaky hands, no going back now.
Besides which I really like my GX9 although I disliked that 12-32, if you keep the GX9 perhaps consider the Olympus 12-45 f/4.
Really works well with it, all I use now for my travels along with the 9mm/1.7 and occasionally the 15/1.7.

Last edited:
Back