"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Tried a different focus setting for BiF on the G9 this morning - this time I tried animal / face detection. I'm not quite sure what the difference is with this compared to having a single area with animal / face detection turned on. They seem very similar to me. I suppose the answer will be in the manual. I turned the burst mode down to low, too, so I can get just a few shots with a brief press of the button. This was much more manageable than the high or very high burst modes. But I will try them again, as I progress.

It was still a little early so light was low and thus I couldn't get as high a shutter speed as would have been idea,

Gull.jpg

Last edited:
GM5 and 20mm f1.7 snaps.

It's retained the highlights and the shadows aren't too dark. I think this little camera is impressive for such a little camera.

kppmxAi.jpg

In the workshop.

rcMEGql.jpg

Last edited:
As it's a bit quiet...

I'm going through old pictures and either deleting or reprocessing. These were taken with my Panasonic G1 and manual film era primes.

L8MYf9o.jpg

oW57crI.jpg

eRFInLO.jpg

ThXuNQb.jpg

I really liked that camera, it was one of my favourites for handling but the evf wasn't so good especially in low light and the ISO performance was limited but it did give my FF Canon 5D a scare and was IMO better in some ways. I did hope that the G100 would be a modern replacement but the handling is nowhere near as good for me as it lacks a top or clickable dial so I have to use the back thumbwheel which I really don't like and it's too easy to accidentally jog.

PS.
A couple of G100 pictures for comparison. Taken with Oly 17mm f1.8.

NwF7JZk.jpg

5x4qSak.jpg

Last edited:
First session out with my new (2ndhand) G9 an Olympus 60mm macro 2.8 lens this last Sunday.
Shot heaps of random stuff...but my main objective for the day was Butterflies (hibernators) an the sunshine coaxed out just the one for me!
Too early to tell about the lens, but the G9 felt good in the hand. It is a lot more complex than my G80, it has many features i need to get to grips with, but for the 1st session, it worked well. I need to shoot a whole season, see what works best for me.
Cheers Paul.

Red Admiral Butterfly.
G9/Olympus 60mm macro 2.8 lens. Handheld, Jpeg, Auto focus. Image is not cropped.
f/5.6, ISO-100, 1/400, Aperture Priority.

P1010399-copy-to-800.jpg

So my first couple of weeks with the Panasonic Leica 100-400mm on the G80.
I am very happy. My wildlife photography has moved up a notch.

25% more reach makes a difference, so many more images are just that bit closer, and can be cropped with better quality remaining.

I'm shooting small birds at SS1/125 in medium burst mode and getting lots of keepers, it's so stable, and the Shutter speed means ISO drops considerably even in poor light, and that makes a big difference.
This means I can crop, lift shadows and highlights, and the images are not grainy and detail remains. It's a big improvement.

Granted, I do still sharpen a few in post, but only slightly. All in all I find the files can be pushed further in edit when conditions are not ideal, and the images are better quality and more pleasing to the eye. The combination of Power OIS, better glass, and a bit more reach, is proving very worthwhile for me.

Last edited:
So my first couple of weeks with the Panasonic Leica 100-400mm on the G80.
I am very happy. My wildlife photography has moved up a notch.

25% more reach makes a difference, so many more images are just that bit closer, and can be cropped with better quality remaining.

I'm shooting small birds at SS1/125 in medium burst mode and getting lots of keepers, it's so stable, and the Shutter speed means ISO drops considerably even in poor light, and that makes a big difference.
This means I can crop, lift shadows and highlights, and the images are not grainy and detail remains. It's a big improvement.

Granted, I do still sharpen a few in post, but only slightly. All in all I find the files can be pushed further in edit when conditions are not ideal, and the images are better quality and more pleasing to the eye. The combination of Power OIS, better glass, and a bit more reach, is proving very worthwhile for me.
excellent!

Certainly shows the G1 is still a capable camera within its limitations. Which lens did you use?

I can't be sure but looking at the shutter speed of 1/1,600 and the perspective and the fact that the background is quite out of the depth of field I think it was probably my Minolta Rokkor 55mm f1.7.

G9 arrived, it's mint. Battery on charge.

One thing - there are no metal clips on the ends of the strap? Just a plastic piece to loop the end back through, but that is not firm enough to stope the end slipping back through and losing the camera. Has someone pinched the clips?

One thing - there are no metal clips on the ends of the strap? Just a plastic piece to loop the end back through, but that is not firm enough to stope the end slipping back through and losing the camera. Has someone pinched the clips?
Probably. Mine came so equipped from new.

That's how they all come, see here for how to attach the strap.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1340101/Panasonic-Lumix-Dc-G9.html?page=20

My strap is still in the bag unused, much prefer a wrist strap.

Last edited:
Mine has a split ring connection to the camera.
A sliding toggle tightens the strap around the wrist. Totally secure.

This is very similar to mine.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/VKO-Compatible-Fujifilm-Cameras-Adjustable/dp/B01MXY73GK/ref=sr_1_9?crid=S2FAQS6UKCH2&keywords=camera+wrist+strap&qid=1676070478&sprefix=Camera++wr,aps,117&sr=8-9
Cheers Brian
I must admit I'm in two minds over this, been using a shoulder strap since I started and kind of used to it now.
That being said I very rarely take my hands off the camera and trust to let it hang.

It will not slip, the harder you pull, the harder the two opposing pieces of strap lock together.

It is worth learning the correct way, most people end up with the tail flapping loose facing upwards, not hidden as it should be.

I've got a Nikon dslr and Pana GX80 (pictured) both with Op/Tech wrist staps.

A Ricoh GR3X and a Canon G7X (pictured) both with something thinner with a knot tied in it.

AMWts8C-_tXVb5oTP14S6P37pzbbBnLmcF_n7Op-dsfuwhai9ZwcL1tF8Y1BHA36huiz1oec0J7y6Xsof9i86j8Im53ej3nN_30IrAkkkDmIMBofDk4N243s98l7YAL_lfpDI3JxDd_0NtWjGEfLxlIQb_CC_g=w1315-h879-no

Last edited:
I always worry about a wrist strap slipping off and dropping the camera?
I worry more about the camera getting stuck on something that I am holding to steady myself on a rough path or similar.
If you are going to need your hands, I don't feel a camera hanging on your wrist would be helpful.
I use a wrist strap with compacts walking round town or similarly level ground, otherwise it is a neck/shoulder strap.

... just realised, that little strap on the G7X (above) says Lumix, must have come from an old TZ something. I tie a knot so it def. can't slip off.

I have never had a camera slip off my wrist despite always carrying it like that.
Its not just dangling there as I walk around, still grip it and the strap is there to take some of the weight.
This is the one I use on all my cameras https://www.cordweaver.co.uk/product-page/cordy-slim-wrist-strap-with-peak-design-anchor-link
Now I understand why so many You Tubers have a small disc hanging off the camera in their tutorials, it's to attach this design of wrist strap.

Another reprocessed picture. G1 and a film era lens.

Winter beach scene.
Just looking at my own G1 photos. Just realised that I probably took proportionately more shots with that camera -- my first ever mirrorless -- in the 7 months or so I owned it than any other (the main competitor was the Nikon D200). It seemed to be at my peak of photographic enthusiasm. A lot of them I really like but I did then move on to a GH2 as it was clearly better in handling contrasty lighting conditions.

Just looking at my own G1 photos. Just realised that I probably took proportionately more shots with that camera -- my first ever mirrorless -- in the 7 months or so I owned it than any other (the main competitor was the Nikon D200). It seemed to be at my peak of photographic enthusiasm. A lot of them I really like but I did then move on to a GH2 as it was clearly better in handling contrasty lighting conditions.

Yup. Same for me, I really liked the G1.

I started with the GF1 but quickly decided I wanted an evf so switched to the G1 and that camera convinced me that mirrorless was the future. RF style cameras replaced the G1 and also a G7 but the latter had shutter shock and the shape of the grip was uncomfortable for me every time I picked it up so it didn't last long. I've recently bought a G100 hoping it would recreate the G1 experience but with more abilities (much higher ISO's, silent shooting, eye detect etc) and better image quality but the lack of either a second top of camera dial or a clickable dual function dial and having to use the rear wheel really spoils it for me as I find the that rear wheel far to easy to jog in handling.

Anyway, that G1 remains all in all possibly one of my favourite cameras.

Ive never used camera straps on any of my cameras...i just generally hold a camera in each hand as i go. Ive slipped down a bank a few times, but i just fall so the camera never hits the ground 1st!!! I also have a backpack on for most of the time. I couldnt have a camera around my neck, far too restricting for the stuff i shoot. I also shoot using the rear screen a lot, because you dont want to have the camera up at eye level, when you are taking close ups of Adders(venomous snakes). I should think about using wrists straps though, they would help for sure.

Ive never used camera straps on any of my cameras...i just generally hold a camera in each hand as i go. Ive slipped down a bank a few times, but i just fall so the camera never hits the ground 1st!!! I also have a backpack on for most of the time. I couldnt have a camera around my neck, far too restricting for the stuff i shoot. I also shoot using the rear screen a lot, because you dont want to have the camera up at eye level, when you are taking close ups of Adders(venomous snakes). I should think about using wrists straps though, they would help for sure.
Well if I ever shoot Adders I'll have to bear that in mind (and I'll be standing back at full zoom !

I found the shoulder strap very secure today, and as a creature of habit I will most likely stick to what I know.
Had a very enjoyable day trying the G9 for the first time today, more on that later when I've had a chance to look at the photos.

Well if I ever shoot Adders I'll have to bear that in mind (and I'll be standing back at full zoom !

I found the shoulder strap very secure today, and as a creature of habit I will most likely stick to what I know.
Had a very enjoyable day trying the G9 for the first time today, more on that later when I've had a chance to look at the photos.
Good idea, you dont want to get too close to Adders.
However, i want to get real close to Adders...but ive had at least a decade of observing them, so i have a fair idea of how they might react!

Heres a close up of a male Adder, which i sighted on a log pile. Image is not cropped, G80/45-150mm/Canon 500D close up lens attached.
As usual, view on Flickr for a much sharper image!

Male Adder (Vipera berus). by Tort Man, on Flickr

Last edited:
Last Sunday, 1st session with a G9 an Olympus 60mm 2.8 macro lens setup.
Mainly just shooting random stuff at a church yard i visited.
Not the type of subjects i ever shoot, but just wanted to see what this setup was like.
All these images were shot at f/2.8, no editing, no cropping, Jpegs straight out of camera.

Church door handle.
P1010505-to-800.jpg

Church head stone carving.
P1010522-to-800.jpg

Cluster of Ivy Berries.
P1010768-to-800.jpg

However, i want to get real close to Adders...but ive had at least a decade of observing them, so i have a fair idea of how they might react!

Heres a close up of a male Adder, which i sighted on a log pile. Image is not cropped, G80/45-150mm/Canon 500D close up lens attached.

That's a cracker !

Now I understand why so many You Tubers have a small disc hanging off the camera in their tutorials, it's to attach this design of wrist strap.
Its a Peak Design connector, they were originally used on their own neck, shoulder and wrist straps.
The connectors are also available to buy separately and can be incorporated in other makes of strap.

We have Adder warning signs all over our golf club.
Nobody I play with, including my mate who's the local farmer, has ever seen one.
Nice shot.

I use Op/Tech connectors on all my cameras but just on the right-hand side. I can then choose between a wrist strap (Cordy Duo) or an Op/Tech Utility sling. I can't carry anything on my left shoulder as it slopes too much due to my mis-set collar bone but it's fine with a cross-body sling.

Compact combination snaps. GX80 and 14mm f2.5.

"Take my picture with the church."

Cp534jS.jpg

Beauty outside the supermarket.

HHzXllw.jpg

Yummy Yum Yum.

efjRLip.jpg

Back