"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Tell me I'm right or wrong and it's a good little lens, either way any input appreciated.
I find it a useful little lens for carrying around, generally mounted on a G5. Get a deep lens hood for it and you should be pleasantly surprised by the quality.

This was made at 150mm, through the side window of a bus...

Broken brick in wall Topsham Road Exeter G5 P1070052.jpg

Hi all. Back again to pick your grey matter a bit more!

Just after opinions on the 45-150 f4.0-5.6

This one > https://www.wexphotovideo.com/panas...sph-ois-black-micro-four-thirds-lens-1531831/

I am just after something to give me that up to 300mm equiv that I have with my Fuji set up and wondering how this is considering it's a fairly cheap lens.
I am ultimately toying with the idea of going to a single system so 'fancy' lens are for now off the table and just need something to cover the times where a touch more reach is needed/wanted.

It just seems almost too cheap though!

Tell me I'm right or wrong and it's a good little lens, either way any input appreciated.
It's a great budget lens, I love mine. Surprisingly sharp, nice and compact, the IS also works really well, especially on a body that supports dual IS.

It's a great budget lens, I love mine. Surprisingly sharp, nice and compact, the IS also works really well, especially on a body that supports dual IS.
The link shows a Mega OIS lens, they don't support dual IS.
Do agree though they are great lenses.

I find it a useful little lens for carrying around, generally mounted on a G5. Get a deep lens hood for it and you should be pleasantly surprised by the quality.
Thanks for commenting. Just want it for those occasions I want to get a bit closer to the wildlife without actually having to get closer!
And whilst a 100-300 or even 100-400 would be much better suited I imagine they would be pretty unbalanced on the GX9 aside from the cost.

I will be investigating those options at a later date though I think.
Thanks for the comment. Sounds like it'll do what I need and give me that bit extra without breaking the bank at this point.
The link shows a Mega OIS lens, they don't support dual IS.
Do agree though they are great lenses.
I noticed that Dual IS was mentioned in a review on the WEX link I provided and having looked on the Panasonic FW site the lens received an update in 2015 to enable Dual IS.

Looks like I shall be adding one to my kit then. Cheers for the input.

Thanks for commenting. Just want it for those occasions I want to get a bit closer to the wildlife without actually having to get closer!
And whilst a 100-300 or even 100-400 would be much better suited I imagine they would be pretty unbalanced on the GX9 aside from the cost.

Thanks for the comment. Sounds like it'll do what I need and give me that bit extra without breaking the bank at this point.

I noticed that Dual IS was mentioned in a review on the WEX link I provided and having looked on the Panasonic FW site the lens received an update in 2015 to enable Dual IS.

There was an updated version, and it was labelled Power OIS, was there a firmware update for the Mega OIS to enable Power OIS???

Regardless, it is still worth having :)

There was an updated version, and it was labelled Power OIS, was there a firmware update for the Mega OIS to enable Power OIS???

Regardless, it is still worth having :)
I can only assume it was updated based on the review comment and my understanding that this is the correct lens on Panasonics update site which states it was updated to support such...

The only Power OIS lens I can see in that range is the 45-175. but is nearly twice the price for that extra 25mm in pure reach terms I imagine there's other differences too.

I can only assume it was updated based on the review comment and my understanding that this is the correct lens on Panasonics update site which states it was updated to support such...

The only Power OIS lens I can see in that range is the 45-175. but is nearly twice the price for that extra 25mm in pure reach terms I imagine there's other differences too.
Thanks for that link, I thought mine was up to date, but will try and apply that update :)

It would be very nice to find I misunderstood it!

You can pick up used 100-300 mega OIS pretty cheap and I love mine. Very light and I'm sure it would be fine on a GX9,
Get even closer to the wildlife and pretty good for close-ups of things like Butterflies without getting close.

Thanks for that link, I thought mine was up to date, but will try and apply that update :)

Hopefully you are in for a free ‘upgrade’ bonus.

Keep us updated on if it works.

You can pick up used 100-300 mega OIS pretty cheap and I love mine. Very light and I'm sure it would be fine on a GX9,
Get even closer to the wildlife and pretty good for close-ups of things like Butterflies without getting close.
A little more even used than I want to commit too right now whilst I consider which direction I take with everything. For now I just need to match my Fuji reach/set up.

Good to know you enjoy yours though as I will probably be looking at that or the 100-400 at a later date. IIRC you have both? How do you find them. Do you prefer one over the other beyond the increased reach of course.

My copy works fine with Dual IS after I upgraded it to the v1.2 firmware. It's an excellent lens

Hopefully you are in for a free ‘upgrade’ bonus.

Keep us updated on if it works.

A little more even used than I want to commit too right now whilst I consider which direction I take with everything. For now I just need to match my Fuji reach/set up.

Good to know you enjoy yours though as I will probably be looking at that or the 100-400 at a later date. IIRC you have both? How do you find them. Do you prefer one over the other beyond the increased reach of course.
I love the Leica 100-400mm on the G9, the bit more reach and the Power OIS gives you an edge, but I still take the 100-300mm out with the G80 and get some really nice photos.
I don't regret getting the Leica because it gets the best from the camera, but it's a lot of money and the 100-300mm can capture really nice wildlife photos..

Another vote of confidence for the 45-150mm. I think it;s a good lens and sharp enough from wide open.

Unlike some others I don't really see much of an issue using large lenses like the 100-400mm on smaller cameras as my left hand will be under the lens to support it and operate the controls so balance isn't an issue, for me at least.

I love the Leica 100-400mm on the G9, the bit more reach and the Power OIS gives you an edge, but I still take the 100-300mm out with the G80 and get some really nice photos.
I don't regret getting the Leica because it gets the best from the camera, but it's a lot of money and the 100-300mm can capture really nice wildlife photos..
Good to know thanks. I think if/when I do go down that route I’d regret not getting the 100-400 just for the extra reach alone tbh.
Another vote of confidence for the 45-150mm. I think it;s a good lens and sharp enough from wide open.

Unlike some others I don't really see much of an issue using large lenses like the 100-400mm on smaller cameras as my left hand will be under the lens to support it and operate the controls so balance isn't an issue, for me at least.
Not so much that I see an issue more it’s not what I need/want right now.

Another positive vote for the 45-150 though so looks like I’ll add one for the time whilst I decide what’s next.

Good to know thanks. I think if/when I do go down that route I’d regret not getting the 100-400 just for the extra reach alone tbh.

Not so much that I see an issue more it’s not what I need/want right now.

Another positive vote for the 45-150 though so looks like I’ll add one for the time whilst I decide what’s next.

Unless you need the extra zoom the 45-150mm is great as it's small and as above, sharp from wide open.

Good luck with it if you get one. I don't think you'll regret it. I bought mine used. They often crop up at reasonable prices.

Not been on for awhile................March was a "wash out"!!
April seems better! once we get through this week!

Panny G9/Olympus 2.8 60mm macro lens. Basic editing, Jpeg, Handheld, Autofocus.
Im liking this funky little lens(no need to add a close up filter either!) It can hunt a bit, but once you get used to it, it will produce pleasing images. I think i will just use this lens for the whole season, which means up to mid October.

A Comma Butterfly, basking in the late afternoon sunshine. No cropping. F/3.5, 1/640, ISO-100, Aperture priority.

Note - Im having to dial back the Magenta on this G9?! I guess Raw would be better than Jpegs...but typically, dialing back Magenta 5 to 10% for most images.

Comma Butterfly. No cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr

Last edited:
Not been on for awhile................March was a "wash out"!!
April seems better! once we get through this week!

Panny G9/Olympus 2.8 60mm macro lens. Basic editing, Jpeg, Handheld, Autofocus.
Im liking this funky little lens(no need to add a close up filter either!) It can hunt a bit, but once you get used to it, it will produce pleasing images. I think i will just use this lens for the whole season, which means up to mid October.

A Comma Butterfly, basking in the late afternoon sunshine. No cropping. F/3.5, 1/640, ISO-100, Aperture priority.

Note - Im having to dial back the Magenta on this G9?! I guess Raw would be better than Jpegs...but typically, dialing back Magenta 5 to 10% for most images.

Comma Butterfly. No cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr
I'm enjoying using the G9 and Leica 100-400mm for Butterflies and bugs at the moment, haven't really managed to separate butterflies so far for bokeh backgrounds.
The images looks sharper and punchier on my laptop but this gives you an idea.

003 09 04 23.jpg
005 09 04 23.jpg
007 09 04 23.jpg

I'm enjoying using the G9 and Leica 100-400mm for Butterflies and bugs at the moment, haven't really managed to separate butterflies so far for bokeh backgrounds.
The images looks sharper and punchier on my laptop but this gives you an idea.

View attachment 386391
View attachment 386392
View attachment 386393
Nice images.
The Brimstone butterfly (looks like a male) is a beauty. They can be quite difficult to get decent images of, they hardly stay still for more than a few seconds. I chase these a lot!!! but it is frustating, since i use close up/stalking method. Found a mating pair last week. Only the 2nd ever mating pair ive seen (last pair was 5 years ago!!)
Cheers Paul.

Well then. I picked myself up a 45-150. Was looking at used but noticed Wex Manchester had one in stock so called in and bought from there instead.

(Side note: Do used descriptions just state the optics have dust throughout to cover themselves? It always puts me off even if it shouldn't. The used lens I have purchased in the past I have always help and inspected first. Maybe I should be less picky!)

Only had a chance to use today and from todays brief use I'm fairly happy with it. At least on par with the Fuji's 55-200. Backgrounds maybe a touch noisier but id be being picky at that point.

A couple from today anyway...

by Lost_Manc, on Flickr

by Lost_Manc, on Flickr

Well then. I picked myself up a 45-150. Was looking at used but noticed Wex Manchester had one in stock so called in and bought from there instead.

(Side note: Do used descriptions just state the optics have dust throughout to cover themselves? It always puts me off even if it shouldn't. The used lens I have purchased in the past I have always help and inspected first. Maybe I should be less picky!)

Only had a chance to use today and from todays brief use I'm fairly happy with it. At least on par with the Fuji's 55-200. Backgrounds maybe a touch noisier but id be being picky at that point.

A couple from today anyway...

by Lost_Manc, on Flickr

by Lost_Manc, on Flickr
Love the first one and the lighting on the tail.
Glad you're happy with the new lens, there are so many sold with dust throughout, I guess it's just what happens to most lenses.

Most reputable dealers who sell used lenses describe them as having dust in them, just to cover themselves. Often. It’s minimal or even non-existent, but unless it’s quite filthy it shouldn’t affect the image.

Love the first one and the lighting on the tail.
Glad you're happy with the new lens, there are so many sold with dust throughout, I guess it's just what happens to most lenses.

Thanks Keith. The 1st should actually be the second but I was too lazy to edit!

The straight on surprised look is also my favourite of the two. I didn’t think it was going to let me shift to the front but it distracted itself and I’m going to believe that the look is a surprised “how did you get there” kinda look!

Yeah. Think the lens will do the trick nicely for now and somewhere down the line I will decide which of the longer two to pick up but will probably get a G9 or whatever comes next first though and then switch to GX9 to primes and walk about duty.

Most reputable dealers who sell used lenses describe them as having dust in them, just to cover themselves. Often. It’s minimal or even non-existent, but unless it’s quite filthy it shouldn’t affect the image.

Suspected as much but I just like things to be as clean as possible when I get them and buying unseen always makes me nervous.
The 12-60 was in the shop so I could look at that first and decide.

I've been using the electronic shutter on the G80 and G9 the last couple of trips, seems to do a good job, can't see any difference so far.
Are there any advantages to using the middle choice EFC - Electronic First Curtain?? What's the differences if any ?

I've been using the electronic shutter on the G80 and G9 the last couple of trips, seems to do a good job, can't see any difference so far.
Are there any advantages to using the middle choice EFC - Electronic First Curtain?? What's the differences if any ?

EFCS still uses the mechanical shutter but can be useful for reducing shutter shock.

AFAIK some claim that EFCS can affect bokeh in some situations, I don't know if people think that the electronic shutter can as well. Anyway. In my experience I've never been able to point at a picture and say "Ah-Ha! The bokeh in that shot has been ruined by EFCS/ES!"

I think the main worries with the electronic shutter are the rolling shutter effect with moving subjects and the possibility of banding under artificial lights. I don't know of any issue with EFCS. There may be some but I haven't seen any yet.

Personally I leave my cameras on ES and switch manually for best effect if I think either banding or the noise of the mechanical shutter could be a problem.

Last edited:
EFCS can cause an external flash not to fire on Sony cameras but I've no idea if that applies to Panasonic as well.

I don't think electronic shutter will affect your current trend of photos.
It might introduce some curvature to a birds wing at certain angles, when you see a bird with a ruler straight wing, best to use manual shutter :)
It might also cause some curvature/leaning of something like a lamp post is you were panning across it fairly quickly following a bird or something.

It is also possible for the combination of OIS and electronic shutter to produce wavy verticals, but I can't make it happen again!

Been having a few sessions with animal/human detect lately with the G9. Pretty good on the whole, however, when it fails to recognise a bird it can make it hard to get focus without hanging modes and the moment can be gone, so I think it's something you need to learn when to use and when not.

I was impressed that it identified a Swan across a lake that was partly masked by the reeds, it still nailed it. On the whole I think it can be very useful.

Would like to know others thoughts.

Been having a few sessions with animal/human detect lately with the G9. Pretty good on the whole, however, when it fails to recognise a bird it can make it hard to get focus without hanging modes and the moment can be gone, so I think it's something you need to learn when to use and when not.

I was impressed that it identified a Swan across a lake that was partly masked by the reeds, it still nailed it. On the whole I think it can be very useful.

Would like to know others thoughts.

One thing you can do is set up different custom modes.

For example I like eye detect and wide area focusing when taking people pictures but for more general stuff I just use aperture or manual mode with single point focus so to avoid fiddling with settings and/or buttons or the quick menu I have custom modes set and all I have to do is move from one custom mode to another (or just move from custom mode to aperture or manual) to change several settings at once.

I your case you could start out with the animal/human detect mode and if the subject or conditions aren't right just switch modes to another custom mode or to aperture or manual with more suitable settings. If you haven't tried this it could be worth a try as it could save you some time.

One thing you can do is set up different custom modes.

For example I like eye detect and wide area focusing when taking people pictures but for more general stuff I just use aperture or manual mode with single point focus so to avoid fiddling with settings and/or buttons or the quick menu I have custom modes set and all I have to do is move from one custom mode to another (or just move from custom mode to aperture or manual) to change several settings at once.

I your case you could start out with the animal/human detect mode and if the subject or conditions aren't right just switch modes to another custom mode or to aperture or manual with more suitable settings. If you haven't tried this it could be worth a try as it could save you some time.
I presume I can assign these to the front buttons, I'll have a look Alan cheers for the suggestion.

I presume I can assign these to the front buttons, I'll have a look Alan cheers for the suggestion.

The custom mode should be on the top dial. With my cameras I select "C" on the top dial and press "Menu Set" and choose from the custom modes I've created.

The custom mode should be on the top dial. With my cameras I select "C" on the top dial and press "Menu Set" and choose from the custom modes I've created.
The G9 has three custom modes straight from the main dial :)

Well there you go then. That could be a way forward for Keith as it'll allow quick switching between the more ordinary aperture, shutter or manual modes for general purpose shots and a custom mode with multiple changes without additional button presses or diving into menus :D

I must admit the menu kept fooling me, on the single focus point mode the animal detect say "animal detect off" and I kept thinking it wasn't on, until I realised it meant you had to toggle up to switch it off. Using the C modes would be simpler, I don't utilise the shortcuts and custom modes enough. @woof woof

I must admit the menu kept fooling me, on the single focus point mode the animal detect say "animal detect off" and I kept thinking it wasn't on, until I realised it meant you had to toggle up to switch it off. Using the C modes would be simpler, I don't utilise the shortcuts and custom modes enough. @woof woof
None of us use all the features, we learn to use and use the ones we need, as we find we need them :)

Many of them wouldn't help a lot of people, but for the ones they do, they are valuable

Anyone used MFT extension tubes to get a bit closer for macro? Thinking of trying these.
I have a set which I used with my 45-150, they aren't the same as in your link, but they worked well. I still have them somewhere, I don't use them very often.

I have a set which I used with my 45-150, they aren't the same as in your link, but they worked well. I still have them somewhere, I don't use them very often.
Think I might give them a whirl Sam, would help me get that wee bit closer which helps on the little bugs.

I've used tubes in the past but be aware that the focus range (from minimum to maximum distance) may be limited and you could be struggling for depth.

Another option which I'm always recommending :D is a film era manual focus macro lens.

I've used tubes in the past but be aware that the focus range (from minimum to maximum distance) may be limited and you could be struggling for depth.

Another option which I'm always recommending :D is a film era manual focus macro lens.
Can you get those to fit MFT?

Back