"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

I have a Nissin i40 which is very compact and also a Godox TT685 which is much bigger, both are good options IMO
Cheers Sam, I will have a look at those.
I've got a Godox TT350, small, inexpensive and relatively powerful for its size.
https://digital-photography-school.com/godox-tt350-flash-review/
I already have a TT350 for the XT-4 so good to know its available for the Panasonic too.

I haven't really looked yet.

Need to decide how much I want to spend for occasional use plus when I get the primes the little pop up should be fine again.

Got a chance to have a few hours in the hills today and this time with the 12-60.

LCE Manchester had a near mint one in and well, temptation got the better of me!
Definitely appears sharper then the 12-32 but noting scientific beyond appears so to me.

A couple from today.

My little hiking buddy...

View attachment 382986

A one that if it wasn't for possibly the worlds most chill (especially considering the dog was lay in view too) Robin Redbreast I'd not have got close enough!

View attachment 382988

Was definitely wishing I had my XT-4 + 55-200 for the extra reach when this little one landed next to me whilst having a brew. it was definitely hoping for some crumbs!

Still enjoying the little GX9. The 12-60 giving me that little extra now although at the expense of the built in flash which can't trow past when extended without creating a shadow.
I still want some faster glass but no rush.

In the meantime, any recommendations for a decent small flash?
I have two Nissin Di466 when I want a fairly good single flash indoors on any of the Lumix cameras, then I have one of these which I carry in the bag with the G9 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20418889...9Ip/VzZsfiebjwgRwtLV6qi5E=|tkp:Bk9SR-CluK3VYQ it is very small, lies flat on top of the camera, and so light you don't notice it there. I use it for fill in outdoors, but also indoors where I have multiple flash in use as a trigger, again it just doesn't get in the way at all. They are a couple of pounds cheaper if you buy from China.

Just watch out and avoid old flashes made for older film cameras, their trigger voltage can be 200v or above, and anything over 30V could possibly electrocute your camera. 5V or less trigger is recommended for any digital camera as a general rule if you don't have the specs.

Had a kestrel hovering in front of me yesterday, probably for ten or fifteen seconds. But could I get the G9 to focus on it?! It's becoming the bane of my life. The camera seems to want to focus on infinity and thus the bird literally disappears from the EVF even though I know it's there. The G80 had the same issue and I hoped the G9 would be better. Not yet... Will try some different focus modes ( yet again) but starting to think it's just not going to happen.

I have two Nissin Di466 when I want a fairly good single flash indoors on any of the Lumix cameras, then I have one of these which I carry in the bag with the G9 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204188892072?epid=12033672662&hash=item2f8a9b3ba8:g:peQAAOSwqk1jnKbz&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAoMbAHU5o0MKrt7Un0B21PahGFBH5B+70wynAlzPN2Q1Yv4STgSTQivLCjoZioNzScvY/kg7/aQvk7xk+fEOdgylZsBUy/Ng1EUG6GEbOo9hbXz1hcSoj3sCY0h5CwqSXJhITDyEPIx19TPlE9Wo7azTBf+ffNqgIm5viSb4HwiZ8cmZtW66gZWos1VH4Ia9Ip/VzZsfiebjwgRwtLV6qi5E=|tkp:Bk9SR-CluK3VYQ it is very small, lies flat on top of the camera, and so light you don't notice it there. I use it for fill in outdoors, but also indoors where I have multiple flash in use as a trigger, again it just doesn't get in the way at all. They are a couple of pounds cheaper if you buy from China.

Just watch out and avoid old flashes made for older film cameras, their trigger voltage can be 200v or above, and anything over 30V could possibly electrocute your camera. 5V or less trigger is recommended for any digital camera as a general rule if you don't have the specs.
That could fit the bill Steve.
I use flash very infrequently so cheap and cheerful is a win!
How does it work though without contacts? Is it slaving to the pop up? I’m not at all clued up on flashes.
Certainly more the sort of size/shape I had in mind. Similar to the Godox Lux Junior. That only states it works with Olympus though.

Have seen some talk of tilting the pop up with finger to avoid the shadow of the lens so will try but ultimately at best that’s going to be a quick work around.
Had a kestrel hovering in front of me yesterday, probably for ten or fifteen seconds. But could I get the G9 to focus on it?! It's becoming the bane of my life. The camera seems to want to focus on infinity and thus the bird literally disappears from the EVF even though I know it's there. The G80 had the same issue and I hoped the G9 would be better. Not yet... Will try some different focus modes ( yet again) but starting to think it's just not going to happen.
I had a bit of that yesterday when my little Robin friend dropped in. With the GX9 however.

I found the only reliable way to get the focus on the bird was a small single point and dead on the subject. If I was slightly off it would focus past and into the distance.
Probably user error in my case though!
Zone didn’t seem to help either and would pick the log instead of the bird.

I have the same with my XT-4 and just ended up with single point and AF-C with that. Found it to ultimately be more reliable but I don’t/haven’t done birds in flight where I imagine zone might be better.

It has contacts, I use it to trigger other flashes. If I don't want any light from it on the subject, I just put a L shaped piece of paper on it held on to the flash with an elastic band.
If I use one of the 466s, I usually tilt them up about 45 deg to get reflected light from the ceiling to avoid the harshness of direct flash

Unless it is a grey looking seagull against a grey sky, or a brown bird against matted brown trees, I have found it OK.
Or if there is very little light.
I use the multi area focus so that it cover the centre of the viewfinder, but not the edges.

If it was hovering, it should not be a problem

Have you tried the near and far focus modes?
I had a bit of that yesterday when my little Robin friend dropped in. With the GX9 however.

I found the only reliable way to get the focus on the bird was a small single point and dead on the subject. If I was slightly off it would focus past and into the distance.
Probably user error in my case though!
Zone didn’t seem to help either and would pick the log instead of the bird.

I have the same with my XT-4 and just ended up with single point and AF-C with that. Found it to ultimately be more reliable but I don’t/haven’t done birds in flight where I imagine zone might be better.
The pinpoint AF mode is handy for that sort of thing

It has contacts, I use it to trigger other flashes. If I don't want any light from it on the subject, I just put a L shaped piece of paper on it held on to the flash with an elastic band.
If I use one of the 466s, I usually tilt them up about 45 deg to get reflected light from the ceiling to avoid the harshness of direct flash
Didn’t realise it had contacts. The pictures appear to show it contactless. Thanks for clarifying.
Have you tried the near and far focus modes?

The pinpoint AF mode is handy for that sort of thing
Thanks for the reminder. I know it’s there but haven’t looked into it/used it yet. Shall give it a try.

Having some settings/options envy though. That near/far focus option on the G9 looks useful. Not sure it would justify another camera purchase mind :ROFLMAO:

I get this all the time too, as @Sangoma suggests, it's usually against the sky. 2 Things I find can help a bit.
If it happens, don't keep finger on auto focus, press and release, it seems to kick in when you press and release 2 or 3 times.
I use singe area focus but I have the box enlarged to around 20% of the screen area in the centre.

I get this all the time too, as @Sangoma suggests, it's usually against the sky. 2 Things I find can help a bit.
If it happens, don't keep finger on auto focus, press and release, it seems to kick in when you press and release 2 or 3 times.
I use singe area focus but I have the box enlarged to around 20% of the screen area in the centre.
That's probably what I meant, I had a Canon in my hand at the time (don't let anyone know :) )

Should get the right camera out in future !

Cheers Sam, I will have a look at those.

I already have a TT350 for the XT-4 so good to know its available for the Panasonic too.

I haven't really looked yet.

Need to decide how much I want to spend for occasional use plus when I get the primes the little pop up should be fine again.
Another vote for the TT350. Note that you need the TT350-o for µ43 compatibility.

Another vote for the TT350. Note that you need the TT350-o for µ43 compatibility.
Well seeing as I have one for my XT-4 with no issues and now a few recommendations for the same I may just get another.

A question for you or indeed anyone if it doesn’t state Panasonic but does state Olympus does it not matter?

I am aware that Panasonic removed a contact from the G9 & GX9 so that it can’t power the flash from the camera but assuming it’s a flash with batteries will anything listed as Olympus or vice versa work? Is this an MFT thing?

Well seeing as I have one for my XT-4 with no issues and now a few recommendations for the same I may just get another.

A question for you or indeed anyone if it doesn’t state Panasonic but does state Olympus does it not matter?

I am aware that Panasonic removed a contact from the G9 & GX9 so that it can’t power the flash from the camera but assuming it’s a flash with batteries will anything listed as Olympus or vice versa work? Is this an MFT thing?
It will work on both unlike the small flash that Olympus used to include with some of their cameras.
Also the small flash on the GX9 doesn't act as a trigger unlike some other on board flash units.
Another incompatibility is Olympus wired remotes do not work on Panasonic cameras.
Different wiring configuration, mft really should have been totally cross compatible.

It will work on both unlike the small flash that Olympus used to include with some of their cameras.
Also the small flash on the GX9 doesn't act as a trigger unlike some other on board flash units.
Another incompatibility is Olympus wired remotes do not work on Panasonic cameras.
Different wiring configuration, mft really should have been totally cross compatible.

Just wondering under what circumstances or for what reason?

With default settings the flash fires twice, once to measure the exposure and again with the shutter, then of course it triggers the other flashes on the measuring flash, but change it from TTL to manual and it works fine.
Have you found problems doing this? If so, I would like to try it before I want to use it :)
Some cameras fire the fash twice for red eye reduction, which also causes the same problem, but I never have it turned on so I don't know if that might also be a problem on the GX9, but that could also be the reason.

A bigger problem was the Olympus e510, which uses the flash to focus :) I don't know what other cameras do that.

From the manual
Page 168 - "The built-in flash does not support wireless flash control."

From the manual
Page 168 - "The built-in flash does not support wireless flash control."

That explains why then :)

I never use wireless, I use optical triggers, and the studio flashes I had (only got one now, gave the others away) could also be triggered by a "master" flash.

The GX9 works fine to trigger other flashes, so long as you disable the TTL metering.
I use a piece of card to deflect the pop-up flash straight up (or whatever flash is on the camera) then it triggers the other flashes, but contributes little to the lighting.

The manual comment does seem odd though, if using a wireless trigger, it would normally go on the hot-shoe, and I don't see wanting to use the pop-up flash at the same time.

That explains why then :)

I never use wireless, I use optical triggers, and the studio flashes I had (only got one now, gave the others away) could also be triggered by a "master" flash.

The GX9 works fine to trigger other flashes, so long as you disable the TTL metering.
I use a piece of card to deflect the pop-up flash straight up (or whatever flash is on the camera) then it triggers the other flashes, but contributes little to the lighting.

The manual comment does seem odd though, if using a wireless trigger, it would normally go on the hot-shoe, and I don't see wanting to use the pop-up flash at the same time.

I'm sure it was my G80 that had wireless and you could stop the onboard flash when using it.
Remember setting it for wireless, picking a channel then you got the group up where you could turn it off.
Definitely wasn't using a separate trigger, just the camera in TTL mode and an Olympus Fl-600R flash.
That's it for my flash knowledge, rarely use it and only have one flash just in case, of what i'm not sure.

Last edited:
I'm sure it was my G80 that had wireless and you could stop the onboard flash when using it.
Remember setting it for wireless, picking a channel then you got the group up where you could turn it off.
Definitely wasn't using a separate trigger, just the camera in TTL mode and an Olympus Fl-600R flash.
That's it for my flash knowledge, rarely use it and only have one flash just in case, of what i'm not sure.
I'm sure you are right for the GX80, never had one, though I have seen mention of some cameras having built wireless flash control, I don't know if any of the cameras I have have it, as I would be unlikely to use it.

I don't have any off camera flashes that are TTL compatible with Panasonic, so it would not be able to use TTL, I always used hot shoe transmitters, as it was quick and easy to swap it to another camera, or have two cameras each with their own transmitter at using at the same time without changing anything.

It's even easier for me to use optical triggers, and the reason for disabling TTL on the GX9 was to stopp it flashing twice.

Probably the wireless system is very nice and does everything except make the tea, but that means everything is compatible, whereas my stuff now is a right mix of various camera flashes and ES lightbulb type flashes, and it can all be triggered from the GX9 and G9 down to my Zorki 4K with no changes.

I also don't use flash much any more, I kept some stuff "just in case"

I'm sure you are right for the GX80, never had one, though I have seen mention of some cameras having built wireless flash control, I don't know if any of the cameras I have have it, as I would be unlikely to use it.

I don't have any off camera flashes that are TTL compatible with Panasonic, so it would not be able to use TTL, I always used hot shoe transmitters, as it was quick and easy to swap it to another camera, or have two cameras each with their own transmitter at using at the same time without changing anything.

It's even easier for me to use optical triggers, and the reason for disabling TTL on the GX9 was to stopp it flashing twice.

Probably the wireless system is very nice and does everything except make the tea, but that means everything is compatible, whereas my stuff now is a right mix of various camera flashes and ES lightbulb type flashes, and it can all be triggered from the GX9 and G9 down to my Zorki 4K with no changes.

I also don't use flash much any more, I kept some stuff "just in case"
G80 not GX80

I'm wading through old folders deleting and reprocessing.

This is from December 2014 and was taken with my GX7 (now sold) and 14mm f2.5. After reprocessing I'm quite happy with it.

6ZHmOj5.jpg

Any suggestions please for what length of Arca plate for attaching to the tripod foot on a Panasonic 100-400

Thank you

Macro lenses
Do you need a flash and "soft box" etc to get good results or can the lens do well on it's own?
Oly 60mm on the G series?

I think it depends on the subject and the light and the results you want to achieve.

Issues with macro include lack of DoF which pushes you to smaller apertures and this affects shutter speed and potentially ISO. Better control of light will ease these issues.

I think it depends on the subject and the light and the results you want to achieve.

Issues with macro include lack of DoF which pushes you to smaller apertures and this affects shutter speed and potentially ISO. Better control of light will ease these issues.
That all makes sense, the flash gear is going to make photos better, not essential, but better.

It is well balanced, never had to offset it much,, and the ones I have used are just about 2" long
Thanks, changed my mind about getting a 100-400 and went with the 200mm and 1.4 t/c instead.
Same collar and foot I think, but it's heavier so will probably get a new longer q/r plate.

Thanks, changed my mind about getting a 100-400 and went with the 200mm and 1.4 t/c instead.
Same collar and foot I think, but it's heavier so will probably get a new longer q/r plate.
Nice combination.

If it is balanced you won't need it longer, and the socket part is the same length anyway :)

I've got £60 worth of Amazon voucher to spend on the G80/G9 combo.
Was going to get a spare batt for G9 and a couple more memory cards, but before I did I thought I'de see what people suggest.

I've got £60 worth of Amazon voucher to spend on the G80/G9 combo.
Was going to get a spare batt for G9 and a couple more memory cards, but before I did I thought I'de see what people suggest.
A cable/wireless remote for long exposure work? (a pet like of mine)

G9 Pre-Burst mode, my best effort so far today. Shutter speed 2600.
The face looks a bit sharper on the laptop and when sent to Facebook
View attachment 381748
Personally keith I would have cloned / cropped out the rusty post it’s distracting

Personally keith I would have cloned / cropped out the rusty post it’s distracting
I sort of like it, it looks like it just took off from the post, but I also like it cropped to remove the post and that thin branch to the right, another example of looking at things in different ways :)

Ah that's interesting, it took off from the post so I thought it added to the story/composition, maybe not as obvious if you weren't there to see it. Thanks for the suggestion buddy.

I sort of like it, it looks like it just took off from the post, but I also like it cropped to remove the post and that thin branch to the right, another example of looking at things in different ways :)
It did indeed take off from the post.

Good stuff Keith.

It's easy to think you need a macro lens for shots like this but in reality with longer lenses (and I do like the perspective you get from a longer lens when doing "close up" shots) you can be so far back that all you need is a longer lens with a good minimum focus distance.

Well taken :D

Good stuff Keith.

It's easy to think you need a macro lens for shots like this but in reality with longer lenses (and I do like the perspective you get from a longer lens when doing "close up" shots) you can be so far back that all you need is a longer lens with a good minimum focus distance.

Well taken :D
100% Alan, you don't spook the target and you get a nice result, looking forward to seeing the Dragonflies and Damselflies soon.

Hi all. Back again to pick your grey matter a bit more!

Just after opinions on the 45-150 f4.0-5.6

This one > https://www.wexphotovideo.com/panas...sph-ois-black-micro-four-thirds-lens-1531831/

I am just after something to give me that up to 300mm equiv that I have with my Fuji set up and wondering how this is considering it's a fairly cheap lens.
I am ultimately toying with the idea of going to a single system so 'fancy' lens are for now off the table and just need something to cover the times where a touch more reach is needed/wanted.

It just seems almost too cheap though!

Tell me I'm right or wrong and it's a good little lens, either way any input appreciated.

Back