"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Pre-burst mode on the G9, what focus options do people use for birds taking off please?

I tried the full 225 focus points today and will put up some images once I've got them on the laptop later.

I use a focus area that is just big enough to keep the wanted subject in the focus area, without being so big it can focus on things I don't want, like a branch on the edge of the frame

Pre-burst resulted in too many shots for me. Yesterday's shot of a Cormorant taking off was just shot with the medium burst mode and it still resulted in nine or ten frames taken within a second or so. I just use the single-point focus, set right in the middle of the frame, but I do have animal/face detect on, as well. I really should read the advanced focusing manual that Panasonic have produced:

I use a focus area that is just big enough to keep the wanted subject in the focus area, without being so big it can focus on things I don't want, like a branch on the edge of the frame
Yes I think the all over focussing causes too much confusion, This Robin was taken from a pre-burst where the bird flew across the whole photo area, it was the only one in focus and still not fully sharp. Cropped and sharpened to improve.
Maybe shutter speed 1300 isn't enough for tiny birds, although I don't know is pre-burst 20FPS has a fixed speed or not?
014 14 02 23.jpg

Pre-burst resulted in too many shots for me. Yesterday's shot of a Cormorant taking off was just shot with the medium burst mode and it still resulted in nine or ten frames taken within a second or so. I just use the single-point focus, set right in the middle of the frame, but I do have animal/face detect on, as well. I really should read the advanced focusing manual that Panasonic have produced:

Yes, for bigger birds I would track the bird on a single focus point, usually a centre square, fairly large. But small birds that shoot off twigs are too fast to catch so I'm trying the pre-burst. It's going to take experimentation and practice. As mentioned by @Sangoma the multi focus points all over the screen can hit too many wrong areas.

That's a cracker !
Thanks for that.

We have Adder warning signs all over our golf club.
Nobody I play with, including my mate who's the local farmer, has ever seen one.
Nice shot.
Thanks.
Chances are Adders may well be at your Golf Club (they like golf coarses). But most of these snakes go unseen, which is probably a good thing...Im guessing if a golfer is looking for his lost ball in the ruff, an comes across an Adder, since the golfer is carrying a serious "iron", instinct might make them bash/kill the poor snake!
The snake rarely wants any trouble from humans, an 99 times out of a 100, an Adder will move off into the undergrowth...but, if you tread on one, who knows?! ;)

Ive just posted some nice fresh Adder images in the Nature/Wild an Free section of this forum...couldnt post them in this thread, because i didnt use a MFT's camera!!
Cheers Paul.

Last edited:
Spare batteries for the G9, is there anything in particular I should avoid or alternatively anything I should look for?

I see Duracell make one at a decent price (assuming it's really Duracell)

Spare batteries for the G9, is there anything in particular I should avoid or alternatively anything I should look for?

I see Duracell make one at a decent price (assuming it's really Duracell)

I have 4 vhbw which are fine, and 2 Newmowa (which I have never heard of, came witrh a camera) which seem fine.
The vhbw I have been using for years with other cameras and never had a problem.

Just don't trust the ones that claim a much higher capacity then the originals.

I have 4 vhbw which are fine, and 2 Newmowa (which I have never heard of, came witrh a camera) which seem fine.
The vhbw I have been using for years with other cameras and never had a problem.

Just don't trust the ones that claim a much higher capacity then the originals.

I suppose this could be pot luck but I got two batteries with a charger for my Sony which stated higher capacity and were indeed and were longer lasting than the Sony branded batteries. Years later one has dropped in capacity but the other is still going strong and as they were a fraction of the price of the Sony batteries (not really free but effectively cheap and thrown in with the charger) I'm very happy. As this can possibly be a lottery I think the main thing is to buy from a reputable seller.

I suppose this could be pot luck but I got two batteries with a charger for my Sony which stated higher capacity and were indeed and were longer lasting than the Sony branded batteries. Years later one has dropped in capacity but the other is still going strong and as they were a fraction of the price of the Sony batteries (not really free but effectively cheap and thrown in with the charger) I'm very happy. As this can possibly be a lottery I think the main thing is to buy from a reputable seller.

It doesn't always follow, however when the original is say 1050mAh, and a new one claims to be 2000mAh, to be truly 2000mAh is very unlikely.

It is just a sign that the specs are not genuine, and the quality is probably lacking too.

When you don't know what you are getting, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

Another give away with fake Chinese batteries in weight. If one weighs half what the original does, it is likely to just have a small battery inside. This is very common with some sizes of single cell

No idea about the seller, I buy from here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284893515887?hash=item4254fa106f:g:04YAAOSw6pxdHXnM

If you look, he has some for about half the price, and about half the rated capacity, but when I tested them, they still had a capacity of about 1550mAh, even though they were rated at 1200 I think.

The original battery has a capacity of 1860 mAh, so 2000 is still within reason

It doesn't always follow, however when the original is say 1050mAh, and a new one claims to be 2000mAh, to be truly 2000mAh is very unlikely.

Well. The proof that it can follow is in my camera bag. They're rated higher and for years they lasted longer than the Sony branded battery and one of them still does. Not every is a maker is a charlatan as clearly some are supplying higher rated batteries at cheaper than camera brand battery prices.

As above, buying from a reputable seller could be key.

Tried back button focus on the G80 today, bit too fiddly and rather awkward in portrait. Gave up and went back to front button.
Still on BBF with the G9 though, a bit more room on the camera to use the back button comfortably, so will stick with it for a while on that camera.

Well. The proof that it can follow is in my camera bag. They're rated higher and for years they lasted longer than the Sony branded battery and one of them still does. Not every is a maker is a charlatan as clearly some are supplying higher rated batteries at cheaper than camera brand battery prices.

As above, buying from a reputable seller could be key.
I replied, but my reply seems to have evapourated!

I replied, but my reply seems to have evapourated!

I'm mostly a lucky person. I've bought third party bits and pieces and have very mostly had good luck but for those who don't want to take the risk the camera brand batteries may be the way to go,

I'm mostly a lucky person. I've bought third party bits and pieces and have very mostly had good luck but for those who don't want to take the risk the camera brand batteries may be the way to go,
I'm happy to pay a little extra for a good battery, I may go for the Duracell

I had an ex-pro battery swell up in my Fuji X-E1.
Had to superglue a piece of plastic on it to pull it out.

Only buy original batteries and chargers since then with the heat protection circuit

Had a wander down by the river today with the G9. In addition to a rather lively hare there were lots of birds about - saw some Fieldfare, Bullfinches, Greenfinches, a Kingfisher, and a Pied Wagtail. All of which were too far away for the 100-300 to be effective. I did see this group of Cormorants that made a halfway decent image. There have been so many cormorants about this year, it's strange. I guess once they've eaten all the fish their numbers will decline.

52698081479_f4dee1ffef_b.jpg

This made for a nice mono shot, too:

52698091989_36b61ba6a3_b.jpg

Had a wander down by the river today with the G9. In addition to a rather lively hare there were lots of birds about - saw some Fieldfare, Bullfinches, Greenfinches, a Kingfisher, and a Pied Wagtail. All of which were too far away for the 100-300 to be effective. I did see this group of Cormorants that made a halfway decent image. There have been so many cormorants about this year, it's strange. I guess once they've eaten all the fish their numbers will decline.

I visited a nearby fishing lake a couple of weeks back, over a dozen Cormorants on one lake.
Nice shot of the group in the tree.

Oily Black blighters, so many of them on our local lakes these days, thought they were traditionally sea birds.
When I lived on the coast there was one Cormorant that perched on a post at the end of what was once an anti submarine net support.

Lots of Little Egrets too, counted over twenty one day dotted around bushes and trees overlooking the water.

Not really been getting out with either camera but when I can I have found myself drawn the little GX9.

Used it on a big hike on Monday and whilst I've never complained about the weight of my Fuji kit it was certainly a stark difference. Wished for some extra reach though as I mentioned in another thread about lens (iirc).

Had a few hours in the woods with the dog this morning and grabbed couple of shots. I am still firmly on the fence with the 12-32.
On Monday I couldn't fault it beyond reach but today less happy. Lots of lens flare which is not something I am really used to with my Fuji lens in similar situations and whilst my subject was rarely still focus seemed a bit hot and miss if the backlight was strong (possibly me that needs to adjust here?).

Anyway a couple of shots of the scruffy mutt!

Splash.jpg
Who's Over There?.jpg

And one with heavy flare. Noticed it has a tendency to be very purple. Lens characteristic? Have somewhat corrected that but overall more flare than I find I am happy with.

Flare.jpg

And yes, granted shooting with the sun where it was isn't going to help but like I say I can get away with that with my Fuji kit.

Anyway. Still glad I bought it. Definitely can see it becoming my main big hike camera where weight will be more important, but also I am getting more day to day stuff than previously so all round win win so far.

Now, back to procrastinating about lens!

Last Sunday, it was time to test the G9/Oly 60mm macro lens combo.
Subjects were local Reptiles, sighted in one of my woodland locations here in Kent.

Male Adder (Vipera berus) up close. Image is not cropped.
f/2.8, ISO-100, 1/500, Aperture Priority, Auto Focus, Handheld, Jpeg.
Probably should have shot this at f/4 to f/8, but i was just seeing what things look like at f/2.8
Cheers Paul.

Male Adder (Vipera berus). No cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr

G9 and the Leica 100-400mm in cloudy dull conditions. Shooting from the bedroom window into a dark garden.
This was a situation where I could make a true judgement on the upgrades as it's a scenario I've done before with the G80 and 100-300mm Mega OIS.
This is visibly better than what I used to get.
Forum 24 02 23.jpg

Last edited:
G9 and the Leica 100-400mm in cloudy dull conditions. Shooting from the bedroom window into a dark garden.
This was a situation where I could make a true judgement on the upgrades as it's a scenario I've done before with the G80 and 100-300mm Mega OIS.
View attachment 382363
Excellent shot, the bird is really sharp too. I like the background separation.

View attachment 382363

Very nice Keith. You're enjoying that 100-400 I hope.

Excellent shot, the bird is really sharp too. I like the background separation.
Thanks James, there are old brown leaves on the floor behind the feeder, I leave them at the back of the garden to give a nice colour and Bokeh.
It was too dark for any decent shots with pre-burst, but what I took showed great potential for BIF when they are squabbling and trying to get on the perches, once I have some sunlight.

Very nice Keith. You're enjoying that 100-400 I hope.
It's a nice fit with the G9 David, although I did take the G80 and 100-300mm out earlier in the week and enjoyed the lightness and size, but the G9 and 100-400mm does have some obvious advantages, and I really enjoy using the rig.

Got a chance to have a few hours in the hills today and this time with the 12-60.

LCE Manchester had a near mint one in and well, temptation got the better of me!
Definitely appears sharper then the 12-32 but noting scientific beyond appears so to me.

A couple from today.

My little hiking buddy...

Skye.jpg

A one that if it wasn't for possibly the worlds most chill (especially considering the dog was lay in view too) Robin Redbreast I'd not have got close enough!

Robin.jpg

Was definitely wishing I had my XT-4 + 55-200 for the extra reach when this little one landed next to me whilst having a brew. it was definitely hoping for some crumbs!

Still enjoying the little GX9. The 12-60 giving me that little extra now although at the expense of the built in flash which can't trow past when extended without creating a shadow.
I still want some faster glass but no rush.

In the meantime, any recommendations for a decent small flash?

Last edited:
Got a chance to have a few hours in the hills today and this time with the 12-60.

LCE Manchester had a near mint one in and well, temptation got the better of me!
Definitely appears sharper then the 12-32 bur noting scientific beyond appears so to me.

A couple from today.

View attachment 382986

A one that if it wasn't for possibly the worlds most chill Robin Redbreast id not have got!

View attachment 382988

Was definitely wishing I had my XT-4 + 55-200 when this little one landed next to me whilst having a brew. Definitely hoping for some crumbs!

Still enjoying the little GX9. The 12-60 giving me that little extra now although at the expense of the built in flash which can't trow past when extended without creating a shadow.

I have a Nissin i40 which is very compact and also a Godox TT685 which is much bigger, both are good options IMO

Definitely appears sharper then the 12-32 bur noting scientific beyond appears so to me.

A couple from today.

View attachment 382986

A one that if it wasn't for possibly the worlds most chill Robin Redbreast id not have got!

View attachment 382988

Was definitely wishing I had my XT-4 + 55-200 when this little one landed next to me whilst having a brew. Definitely hoping for some crumbs!

I've got a Godox TT350, small, inexpensive and relatively powerful for its size.
https://digital-photography-school.com/godox-tt350-flash-review/

Last edited:
Back