"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Very nice , that the lens im going for next for my G3

You won't regret it, just remember it is a 600mm equivalent at full zoom and needs careful handling to get the best out of it

P1020697.jpg

IOM22.jpg

Thought I should stick my head in this thread and say hello, seeing as I've just drunk a bottle of wine to get my courage up, and ordered...

Panasonic GH2
Panasonic GF1
Panasonic 14-42mm
Panasonic 20mm pancake
Olympus 9-18mm

(will be selling the 14-42 and getting a 14-140 or 14-42x down the road)

So long D200, it's been a blast!

(now opening a bottle of Laphroaig to celebreate :p)

TomB said:
Thought I should stick my head in this thread and say hello, seeing as I've just drunk a bottle of wine to get my courage up, and ordered...

Panasonic GH2
Panasonic GF1
Panasonic 14-42mm
Panasonic 20mm pancake
Olympus 9-18mm

(will be selling the 14-42 and getting a 14-140 or 14-42x down the road)

So long D200, it's been a blast!

(now opening a bottle of Laphroaig to celebreate :p)

Wow, in for a penny in for pound. Good luck.

postcardcv said:
I've only managed a few trips out with the 100-300 but so far I'm impressed by it.

Wow, can see why you are selling the 45-200, I started looking at the 100-300, very nice!

Hehe, ther eis a chance I'll wake up tomorrow and regret this, but I think not :D

You won't! The GH2 is a superb camera!! So is the GF1 with the 20mm. Enjoy!

I'm having a blast with my G3, I'm Lovin' it!

Was not overly impressed with the kit 14-42 lens, but since using the 20mm I purchased from you Andy I can see a vast improvement. It's also really liberating to carry around such a small setup, compared to lugging around my 5D2 and heavy lenses

Panasonic GH2
Panasonic GF1
Panasonic 14-42mm
Panasonic 20mm pancake
Olympus 9-18mm

(will be selling the 14-42 and getting a 14-140 or 14-42x down the road

Any chance of amending your order? That seems a pretty inefficient way of doing things. The 14-140 is much, much cheaper when bought with the GH2 as a kit lens.

Any chance of amending your order? That seems a pretty inefficient way of doing things. The 14-140 is much, much cheaper when bought with the GH2 as a kit lens.

I did debate this with myself for a while. I can't really afford to get the 14-140 kit without dropping the 9-18 for a while, and as someone who has previously shot about 80% of his images with a 10-20 I was hesitant to lose the wide angle.

You won't! The GH2 is a superb camera!! So is the GF1 with the 20mm. Enjoy!

I'm having a blast with my G3, I'm Lovin' it!

Still playing with my G3 just clicked the shutter on the TV just now and this is the result...

Nice shots everyone :D

I've been too busy to go out shooting recently but wasing the cars gave me an excuse to get my camera out :D

_1020783.jpg

_1020778.jpg

On other parts of the forum dynamic range has been a hot topic so it's nice to see that the blue sky is retained in these shots with little effort :D

I'm still thinking about a G3 so... can anyone comment on G3 v G1/GF1 RAW quality and reaction to NR?

Was not overly impressed with the kit 14-42 lens, but since using the 20mm I purchased from you Andy I can see a vast improvement. It's also really liberating to carry around such a small setup, compared to lugging around my 5D2 and heavy lenses

Glad you are liking it Julian. It is a cracking lens. If you do want a decent zoom then get either the old 14-45 kit lens or the new 14-42 X lens which is due out at the end of October for about £350.

Just joined the G club with a GF2 plus 14mm and 14-42mm picked up from Jessops today :). Wanted the 20mm too but theirs had been stolen! Will have to source elsewhere...
Looking forward to playing with my new toy!

AndyWest said:
Glad you are liking it Julian. It is a cracking lens. If you do want a decent zoom then get either the old 14-45 kit lens or the new 14-42 X lens which is due out at the end of October for about £350.

Was looking at this lens too, tiny little thing. Like the reach of the 14-140 though

Just joined the G club with a GF2 plus 14mm and 14-42mm picked up from Jessops today :). Wanted the 20mm too but theirs had been stolen! Will have to source elsewhere...
Looking forward to playing with my new toy!

Park Cameras have them!!

AndyWest said:
Park Cameras have them!!

Won't be able to use the Gf2 on my holiday (starting tomorrow) anyway. Muppets at Jessops put the wrong charger in the box :(

Llamaman said:
Won't be able to use the Gf2 on my holiday (starting tomorrow) anyway. Muppets at Jessops put the wrong charger in the box :(
Wha? Was it ex-display?

Also just bought a GF2 despite hating my EP1 PEN when it was the latest hot poop and selling it within a fortnight... funny how that goes! Got my GF2 with the 14mm and am enjoying so far, especially the angle of view... if Nikon could have produced an affordable DX 18mm f2 lens or similar I might never have arrived here ;)

Next purchase is the 14-42 as SRS have them for c. £85 unboxed with full Panasonic warranty :)

Email from Warehouse Express at 4pm today to say my Olympus 45mm 1.8 was ready to be sent, gave them a call when I got home to see if there was any way they could get it to me tomorrow as I'm going to the Silverstone 24hr Britcar race in the afternoon. To my delight they had it on a Parcelforce van by 6:30pm for an extra £2, arrives tomorrow!

The initial UK stock arrived everywhere today, I can't see it hanging around long.

Has anyone tried a reversing ring on their legacy 50mm prime? I've just got one today from ebay and tried it out. Seems to work OK for macro just need to try it out now on a proper photo in the daylight. Well worth the try for £8.99.

I've got one but never got round to trying it(FD macro 50mm 3.5 turned up on the same day). Look forward to seeing some of your pics with it.

:bang: Should have gone to Park Cameras!! (y)

It's been just over a year since I sold my D700 setup (14-24, 24-70, 70-200, 50mm 1.4, Gitzo setup, etc etc) to free up money for our baby and downsized to a GF1. We now have a G3 as well.

Don't regret the change for a second, having cameras that we want to take everywhere has meant we take photos we previously wouldn't have been able to and I don't miss the extra weight either. We take (and keep) about 2-3 times more photos than we previously did and not just because we have a baby to take snaps of.

I occasionally (once every couple of months) miss the D700 for it's low light capabilities or the lenses for those times when a narrow depth of field would really enhance a photo but that's a small price to pay for the price difference and portability.

Just thought it was worth posting in case anyone else was considering doing the same and wanted some feedback after 12 months rather than in the 'honeymoon period' :)

It's been just over a year since I sold my D700 setup (14-24, 24-70, 70-200, 50mm 1.4, Gitzo setup, etc etc) to free up money for our baby and downsized to a GF1. We now have a G3 as well.

Don't regret the change for a second, having cameras that we want to take everywhere has meant we take photos we previously wouldn't have been able to and I don't miss the extra weight either. We take (and keep) about 2-3 times more photos than we previously did and not just because we have a baby to take snaps of.

I occasionally (once every couple of months) miss the D700 for it's low light capabilities or the lenses for those times when a narrow depth of field would really enhance a photo but that's a small price to pay for the price difference and portability.

Just thought it was worth posting in case anyone else was considering doing the same and wanted some feedback after 12 months rather than in the 'honeymoon period' :)

Mmm . . . been a G1 user for 18 months now . . . the D90 is gathering dust! Thinking of selling the '90' . . . put the money to a new hifi amplifier, one of my other hobbies . . . :) The interesting point, I have no desire to move onto a G3 or something?

CJS

I occasionally (once every couple of months) miss the D700 for it's low light capabilities or the lenses for those times when a narrow depth of field would really enhance a photo...

You could always get a Voigtlander 25mm f0.95. It'll go some way towards easing low light issues and you get to choose your DoF.

Hi,
i have now received my 5 year guarantee & copy of lightroom. Could anyone please tell me if is it possible to use lightroom on more than one computer?
Thanks.

Anybody moved to processing G3 images with the latest ACR update, or do most folks still favour using SilkyPix?

Hi Mick, i posted the form off on the 5th August & received the 5 year guarantee by post (not e-mail, which most people seem to have done by reading various forums) on September 28th & Lightroom followed on the 30th. All i have to do now is find a beginners book to get me started!!!. If anyone could please recommend me one, i would be grateful,
thanks Mark.

Hi Mick, i posted the form off on the 5th August & received the 5 year guarantee by post (not e-mail, which most people seem to have done by reading various forums) on September 28th & Lightroom followed on the 30th. All i have to do now is find a beginners book to get me started!!!. If anyone could please recommend me one, i would be grateful,
thanks Mark.

I am waiting for mine still, but have bought via Amazon a book called "Lightroom3 book for Digital Photographers" by Scott Kelby....not read it yet, think I need the programme installed for it to make sense.
Certainly looks good to me and for about £18 is a good buy.

If you Google Lightroom3 you will find a video by this guy which was interesting.

Back