"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

That looks like it was a nice walk, lovely view too, but what's missing is the rain. We have it here in the SE! Bucketloads. And just as i bought a new camera ( Nikon Coolpix P7000) to complement my GF1 too.

Allan

Marcel, any chance you could post a link to this thread at the end of the original? Saves people having to search around should they go through it in the future and wonder how the story continued ;)

That a lovely picture.. grrr i just dunno what to do I dont seem to be using mine GF1 as much as i like as the Canon 40D comes out more so I wonder am i making the right choice of selling then get a LX5 as a compact and put the funds into needs with my little girl..

Thank goodness the GF1 site is ressurected !

Well done Barbara

Last edited:
Lots of m4/3 kit for sale in the classified - is there a new body on the horizon, or are people just getting cheesed off for some reason?

Lots of m4/3 kit for sale in the classified - is there a new body on the horizon, or are people just getting cheesed off for some reason?

Reason going sell mine is that it not being used I love the canon 40d more

nice pic but it looks overexposed

No secret info for me - loved the camera, but sold it to get something smaller that I can carry more easily in my snowboarding jacket.

Biggest shame is not being able to justify having the GF1, a more compact camera and the DSLR.

That looks like it was a nice walk, lovely view too, but what's missing is the rain. We have it here in the SE! Bucketloads. And just as i bought a new camera ( Nikon Coolpix P7000) to complement my GF1 too.

Allan

How you like the Nikon P7000 Allan . . . its on my list along with a LX5, s95, G12. The G12 has it for me at the moment, that swivel screen is so good when you cant get down and dirty, dodgy knee :shrug:

However, I'm a Nikon man at heart and the 200mm lens is interesting? I think I read, the P7000 has a particularly wide angle of view on the screen?

CJS

I wanted a compact and Nikon came up with a new one at the same time! What could I do?
I did consider the G12 but wanted a longer zoom and as far as I could make out, the LX5 and canon s95 are superb, but cant really compete with the P7000 and G12s bigger sensors.
So far, I am loving it. IQ is exceptional for a P+S, and, of course, its a Nikon.
Too early to form a proper opinion, weather is a bit grim but so far I am impressed.

Looks like there could be a P7000 thread soon
Allan

I wanted a compact and Nikon came up with a new one at the same time! What could I do?
I did consider the G12 but wanted a longer zoom and as far as I could make out, the LX5 and canon s95 are superb, but cant really compete with the P7000 and G12s bigger sensors.
So far, I am loving it. IQ is exceptional for a P+S, and, of course, its a Nikon.
Too early to form a proper opinion, weather is a bit grim but so far I am impressed.

Looks like there could be a P7000 thread soon
Allan

Thanks Allan, look forward to seeing some of your P7000 photos. I have the feeling the P7000 might rattle a few cages . . . if the dp preview is anything to go by? If only Nikon would put a swivel screen on it, I'll pay ;) . . . no contest:shrug:

CJS

Just got a phone call from my Dad, he was reading a Photography mag ( dont know which one or how recent) and there was a test of the GF1 kit. It scored 10/10 for everything, scoring higher than most cameras, even one costing nearly 5k ( I suspect the Nikon D3)
So, we all made a very good choice. As if we needed someone else to tell us!

Allan

Allan
It was a gorgeous day and just goes to prove to my daughter who lives in the SE that it doesn't always rain in Wales.(y)

That a lovely picture.. grrr i just dunno what to do I dont seem to be using mine GF1 as much as i like as the Canon 40D comes out more so I wonder am i making the right choice of selling then get a LX5 as a compact and put the funds into needs with my little girl..
Thanks Rookies. Have you considered the TZ10 instead of the LX5? Only thing it's missing is RAW, but the pics are fabulous on it, and the video is amazing. It's my mountain walking camera, and I love it.

Thank goodness the GF1 site is ressurected !

Well done Barbara
We couldn't lose our club - could we:love:

nice pic but it looks overexposed
Thanks awp, I don't think that it was over exposed though, it was a very bright day here in Wales, and that's just how it looked. Today is dull and dingy though.:crying:

Another pic to keep this thread active :)

Heavy dew this morning! Lens:14-45mm jobby!

Another pic to keep this thread active :)

Heavy dew this morning! Lens:14-45mm jobby!

Which lens?

Would a firmware update improve the iso performance in future

Just notice which lens doh

Last edited:
Thanks awp, I don't think that it was over exposed though, it was a very bright day here in Wales, and that's just how it looked. (

Really? Have you looked at a histogram for this shot? It's about a stop over exposed - look at the blown clouds.

Really? Have you looked at a histogram for this shot? It's about a stop over exposed - look at the blown clouds.

Yes, I have looked at the histogram, and there is one tiny little cloud that is very slightly clipped, but dropping the exposure by 1 stop, leaves the picture not looking how I actually visualised it.

ok - then we have to agree to differ!

Just for fun, here's a nice G & T I enjoyed on holiday

GT.jpg

You don't have to drop the whole exposure, you can just use some 'recovery' on the highlights. Does look a teeny bit washed out/overexposed to me also, but I make everything too dark usually :)

Yes, I have looked at the histogram, and there is one tiny little cloud that is very slightly clipped, but dropping the exposure by 1 stop, leaves the picture not looking how I actually visualised it.

I think 1 stop is too much. Picture looks ok to me but I just had a play with exposures and 1/3 stop seems to sort it out nicely to my eye. But I wouldnt change it if it looks right to you :)

Allan

ok - then we have to agree to differ!

You don't have to drop the whole exposure, you can just use some 'recovery' on the highlights. Does look a teeny bit washed out/overexposed to me also, but I make everything too dark usually :)
This is the one awp and grum thinks is overexposed.

Cleddau-at-Lawrenny by hillwalkinggirl, on Flickr

I have followed suggestions and this is the new version. Is this better?

Cleddau by hillwalkinggirl, on Flickr

The bottom right area looks quite grey and lacking in contrast now. If you were happy with the pic I would leave it as it is!

BTW can't remember if we did this already, but is anyone planning to get the new 14mm 2.5 pancake?

5011592386_0c08d95dfc.jpg

http://www.43rumors.com/first-images-samples-with-the-new-pansonic-14mm-and-100-300mm-lenses/

Looks like a nice fit for the GF1. It's TINY! Would be nice if it was a little wider though imo.

100-300 out soon too but a lens that big starts to negate the point of M4/3 a little?

Last edited:
The bottom right area looks quite grey and lacking in contrast now. If you were happy with the pic I would leave it as it is!

BTW can't remember if we did this already, but is anyone planning to get the new 14mm 2.5 pancake?

5011592386_0c08d95dfc.jpg

http://www.43rumors.com/first-images-samples-with-the-new-pansonic-14mm-and-100-300mm-lenses/

Looks like a nice fit for the GF1. It's TINY! Would be nice if it was a little wider though imo.

100-300 out soon too but a lens that big starts to negate the point of M4/3 a little?

Thanks grum - that's what I was thinking. Re the new lens, the 14mm would be a nice acquisiton but I've spent too much money already.:bang:

I think it's better exposure wise but it needs a bit of a saturation kick to liven up the colours.

Thanks grum - that's what I was thinking. Re the new lens, the 14mm would be a nice acquisiton but I've spent too much money already.:bang:

Do they know the retail price yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure a 14mm f2.5 is going to get me too excited.

A 10.5 f1.4 would get me very excited, a 12mm f2 would possibly prize the wallet open.

I've seen $399 quoted - not sure how that relates to UK prices. Hope the IQ is as good as the 20mm pancake. I was about to replace my lost 14-45 but I might just get one of these instead if not too pricey.

Not sure a 14mm f2.5 is going to get me too excited.

A 10.5 f1.4 would get me very excited, a 12mm f2 would possibly prize the wallet open.

There's an Olympus 12mm coming out but I don't think it's very fast.

Last edited:
Barbara how do you really rate your TZ10 with high iso in low light as i am really thinking getting one and may keep my gf1 too

On another note would someone be willing to do me a big favour? I'm to coming back to m4/3rds and would like to get a raw file into lightroom before I go out and buy one. I just want to see what I can get out of it, specifically around high ISO noise reduction (1600, 3200).

I promise I'm not looking to claim anyones image, or sell it ...

GF1, E-P1 or E-P2 preferably

I've seen $399 quoted - not sure how that relates to UK prices. Hope the IQ is as good as the 20mm pancake. I was about to replace my lost 14-45 but I might just get one of these instead if not too pricey.

There's an Olympus 12mm coming out but I don't think it's very fast.

If the 12mm is anywhere near the 20mm in terms of IQ I will probably buy it and sell the 9-18. It doesn't have to be fast for me, it will be a landscape lens and will never see anything faster than f/8.0 anyway. It does have to be tack sharp however :)

On another note would someone be willing to do me a big favour? I'm to coming back to m4/3rds and would like to get a raw file into lightroom before I go out and buy one. I just want to see what I can get out of it, specifically around high ISO noise reduction (1600, 3200).

I promise I'm not looking to claim anyones image, or sell it ...

GF1, E-P1 or E-P2 preferably

I'll happily mail you a GF1 file if you give me the addy but it may not be tonight. My net connection is running slower than a dead granny. :(

Barbara how do you really rate your TZ10 with high iso in low light as i am really thinking getting one and may keep my gf1 too

I've taken a quick pic in my dullish office at 800 ISO no flash. I've uploaded a close crop so that you can see what it is like at actual pixels. I would say that 800 is about the highest you could go for a decent picture, though I have used it at higher to get gig pictures in poor stage lighting.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/3EfmD0fD3szLiOtMjSPLJg?feat=directlink Sorry it's only a link Picasa is acting daft.

I was very pleased with the video on it. I'm not at all impressed with the video on the GF1. I took this video of part of my grandsons band in a hall with very bad lighting, and just using the stereo inbuilt mic on the camera. It was just the low quality setting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2PK_J-A2a0

All in all I would definately recommend this camera. It's the one which I use the most. My D90 I use around home, or from the car. The GF1 I like for walking around towns as I really like the DOF you can get with it, but for landscapes the TZ10 is my favourite as it's the easiest to carry up mountains.

Back