"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

I've got a threaded adapter that screws onto the filter thread of the lens and then slides over the eyepeice of the scope (I'll take a photo to show it at somepoint). I was playing with the set up this evening trying to get some moon shots...

moon1020228.jpg

Nice shot. It looks like a lot of fun. Be nice to see the photo of the setup.(y)

Frank, this was taken with the GF1 and 20mm which is my favorite

Using Auto Landscape F2.2 1/1600sec Exposure

Last edited:
The 20mm is such a cracker - nice pic David.

Have to say the 45-200mm is a little disappointing compared to the other standard lenses - it's fine up to about 100mm but can be very soft past that. It's also fairly big and heavy for a M4/3 lens.

Nice one RSMarco - is that outside the cafe at Llandegla by any chance? :)

Yup, kind of my local trail.

Just received some useful critique on this image so I think I need to re think candid.

As always, your images are something that I always look up to.

Janice,
Fantastic shots..!

The 20mm is such a cracker - nice pic David.

Have to say the 45-200mm is a little disappointing compared to the other standard lenses - it's fine up to about 100mm but can be very soft past that. It's also fairly big and heavy for a M4/3 lens.

??????? . . . This does not make sense . . . The 20mm/GF1 is a 'compact', it fits a niche in the market. If you want to go up to 200mm and remain balanced, then you need the G1 (2). I find my copy of the 45/200mm perfectly acceptable within the confines of my experience. I compared it with my Nikon/Sigma APO a few months ago, out with both cameras on the same day, the Panasonic G1/45-200 performed perfectly.

Its a 'Little and Large' issue, they will never balance holding arms out on the GF1, you have lost the third steady point of 'view finder and tucked arms', so you will never be happy. It seems, 'buy small and then complain about large' . . . ?

CJS

Er... I have a G1 and that's what I use the 45-200mm with - it's still inconsistent in terms of sharpness at longer focal lengths imo. And I have tried it on a tripod and at high shutter speeds too. Maybe I have a bad copy, but it seems quite a lot of other people feel the same about this lens.

Er... I have a G1 and that's what I use the 45-200mm with - it's still inconsistent in terms of sharpness at longer focal lengths imo. And I have tried it on a tripod and at high shutter speeds too. Maybe I have a bad copy, but it seems quite a lot of other people feel the same about this lens.

The 45 200 is a tricky lens to handle on the gf1 body and I can easily see why people have problems getting consistancy with it. The stance for shooting with the LCD, that suits short lenses so well is awful for longer lengths.

All that said, you've clearly taken all the possible user issues out of the picture and it sounds like yours may not be a good copy.

I'm not going to say mine has the optical quality of a top lens but it is sharp and for under 200 dollars does impress me.

I never use the 45-200mm lens on my GF1, usually just 20mm on that , and the other two lenses on my G1, so no problem for me

Yeah the 45-200mm doesn't really make sense on the GF1, much better on the G1.

I'm not particularly unhappy with the 45-200mm - I have got some good shots with it, I just don't find it as impressive as the 14-45 or the 20mm.

Yeah the 45-200mm doesn't really make sense on the GF1, much better on the G1.

I'm not particularly unhappy with the 45-200mm - I have got some good shots with it, I just don't find it as impressive as the 14-45 or the 20mm.

I'm happy with my copy of the 45-200mm, this is one of a whole session I did in the summer, testing the 45-200 against my Sigma APO 70-300. IMHO, both performed well, especially considering the prices:

800melsternshotP1000284copy.jpg

Exif is attached . . . this was almost full out zoom at 184mm, f6.3, ISO200 and a shutter at 1/1600!!! In retrospect, I should have chosen f8 or f11, it would have been even better? The circumstances of the shot were not good, I was on my own boat, the water was rough'ish, so getting a steady platform was difficult!

I'm not saying the 45-200mm matches the 20mm . . . :whistle: obviously not. However, at the price point, which I think is lower than the 20mm? I think the 45-200 gets unfair stick!

By the way, size wise, the 45-200 is very little bigger than my standard Nikon 18-70mm making it small enough in its pouch to pop in my man bag if I really need to . . . which I have done twice in 6 months, both times on the water, difficult to get closer?? unless of course the name is 'JC':naughty: Normal walk about, I'm happy with the 14-45mm.

CJS

Last edited:
I never use the 45-200mm lens on my GF1, usually just 20mm on that , and the other two lenses on my G1, so no problem for me

Same here, I don't really see the point in zooms on the GF1 as it's doesn't handle well with them so instead my GF1 gets the 14mm or 20mm as both pair up perfectly with the smaller GF1 body.

I should be receiving my 100-300mm tomorrow which should be interesting, I think it's going to be a bit of a tough lens to use due to the long focal lengths, not particularly wide apertures and the dull British weather but I've been itching to go longer than 140mm for a while and sure I'll get the use out of it.

I quite fancy trying one of the Samyang 800mm mirror lenses for a laugh as it's not too expensive although I think it's fair to say that will be a very tricky lens to get good results from.

John

Just taken delivery of this: Ricoh GV-2

Bargaintastic alternative to the Panasonic EVF for those of us that spend our lives at 14mm ;-) . The brightlines are even in the correct 4:3 format!

hey all just wondering what the video quality is like on the G series (starting from G1) because I am doing a few short films and need a decent camcorder and I like the idea of the G series. so is it worth the money for video or am I better off buying a dedicated camcorder?

hey all just wondering what the video quality is like on the G series (starting from G1) because I am doing a few short films and need a decent camcorder and I like the idea of the G series. so is it worth the money for video or am I better off buying a dedicated camcorder?

The G1 doesn't support video at all so it's probably not a good start ;)

The obvious choice for video is the GH1 as the GHx cameras offer improved video over the rest of the range. The GH1 + 14-140mm can be had for under £700 now which is around the same price of the lens alone, the 14-140mm lens is optimised for video which means a continuous aperture iris and silent, quick AF.

In terms of whether it's good or not for video that's a difficult question. For me I like the GH1 as a video camera because I'm mainly a stills person and therefore for video I prefer having a device that handles like a camera that I can use with my existing lenses. The GH1 also has the advantage of a comparatively massive sensor which gives you access to shallow depth of field (with suitable lenses, the apertures aren't really wide enough on the 14-140mm) and very strong low light performance.

However from a pure video point of view there does seem to be quite a few complaints with the GH1. Many are due to the choice of codec and its settings which to be entirely honest I don't particularly understand, the hacked GH1's seem to get around a lot of this but Panasonic locked the cameras down and it's harder to get this type. There also seem to be complaints about the auto-gain control on the audio which can't be modified and there's no 'power zooms' available, all zooming is a manual ring type which can be difficult to achieve smoothly.

As is probably clear I'm not that familiar with the video side, I'm happy with the GH1 as a stills person with video on the side but it may be different from a purely video approach.

John

The G1 doesn't support video at all so it's probably not a good start ;)

The obvious choice for video is the GH1 as the GHx cameras offer improved video over the rest of the range. The GH1 + 14-140mm can be had for under £700 now which is around the same price of the lens alone, the 14-140mm lens is optimised for video which means a continuous aperture iris and silent, quick AF.

In terms of whether it's good or not for video that's a difficult question. For me I like the GH1 as a video camera because I'm mainly a stills person and therefore for video I prefer having a device that handles like a camera that I can use with my existing lenses. The GH1 also has the advantage of a comparatively massive sensor which gives you access to shallow depth of field (with suitable lenses, the apertures aren't really wide enough on the 14-140mm) and very strong low light performance.

However from a pure video point of view there does seem to be quite a few complaints with the GH1. Many are due to the choice of codec and its settings which to be entirely honest I don't particularly understand, the hacked GH1's seem to get around a lot of this but Panasonic locked the cameras down and it's harder to get this type. There also seem to be complaints about the auto-gain control on the audio which can't be modified and there's no 'power zooms' available, all zooming is a manual ring type which can be difficult to achieve smoothly.

As is probably clear I'm not that familiar with the video side, I'm happy with the GH1 as a stills person with video on the side but it may be different from a purely video approach.

John

The answer is simple . . . you want video . . . buy a video camera . . . :shrug: This 'running with the hair and hunting with the hounds' . . . it dont work to well, simply adulterating good practice and good cameras IMHO :thumbsdown:

CJS

The video quality and functionality on a hacked GH1 is up there with the very best. To get the low light video capability and shallow DOF you can achieve with a DSLR (or GH1) you would need to spend 10s of thousands on a dedicated video camera. There are some drawbacks however. Sign up at nofilmschool and get their free pdf if you want to look into it properly. There is some stuff on Philip Bloom's blog also.

The answer is simple . . . you want video . . . buy a video camera . . . :shrug: This 'running with the hair and hunting with the hounds' . . . it dont work to well, simply adulterating good practice and good cameras IMHO :thumbsdown:

CJS

Please don't criticise what you don't understand. ;) I really fail to see how having video is 'adulterating' anything. Just because you don't use/like it doesn't mean it's not a valuable feature.

Re your 45-200mm shot - it looks pretty sharp but still not pin sharp - I think the fact that you were not quite at 200mm, stopped down slightly, and using a very high shutter speed all helped to get it as sharp as possible.

CJS

If you're going to post such ignorant drivel, don't quote my post as part of it as you clearly haven't read any of it and don't have a clue what you're talking about. You can't even buy a video camera with anything close to the specification of the GH1 without spending vastly more money, while it has some disadvantages for video (as does any video camera) it has plenty of strengths as well. I did actually buy a decent Canon HD video camera but it's spent most of the time gathering dust, I didn't like its tiny sensor, I didn't like the controls, I didn't like the lack of lenses and I didn't like the fact it took up a slot in my bag that meant losing a lens. Hence I now get extensive use out of the GH1 for video as it works well in that role.

John

Let's try and keep this civil eh? :)

Gorgeous day here in Lancaster...

5189672622_2e9f6b1b16_b.jpg

5189672004_fa2199ebf8_b.jpg

5189072543_c0a7c5eddb_b.jpg

5189072965_49010dce1e_b.jpg

5189697182_f110738112_b.jpg

I don't know how anyone else has it set - but I have usually had 'direct AF point' switched off, in order to allow easy access to the ISO and WB controls. Today I tried having it on and I have to say it works a lot better than using focus and recompose imo. ISO can still be changed fairly quickly via the Q Menu button, and I don't really change the WB much anyway (I shoot in RAW too so it can easily be set afterwards).

Last edited:
Agreed Graham, whats the point in getting hot under the collar:)

Sunshine here in Hornchurch today

Waiting for new lenses to be fitted in my specs oposite this local high st pub...too many people and cars about so will have to return on a sunny weekend.

Good old GF1 on Auto !

No trouble from the Policeman either...

Last edited:
Let's try and keep this civil eh? :)

Gorgeous day here in Lancaster...

5189672622_2e9f6b1b16_b.jpg

5189672004_fa2199ebf8_b.jpg

5189072543_c0a7c5eddb_b.jpg

5189072965_49010dce1e_b.jpg

5189697182_f110738112_b.jpg

I don't know how anyone else has it set - but I have usually had 'direct AF point' switched off, in order to allow easy access to the ISO and WB controls. Today I tried having it on and I have to say it works a lot better than using focus and recompose imo. ISO can still be changed fairly quickly via the Q Menu button, and I don't really change the WB much anyway (I shoot in RAW too so it can easily be set afterwards).

I hate spiders Graham, but I do think that shot is great. I really like the way you have captured the spider, and thrown the background out of focus. A really good creative shot.

Nice sharp pics again Oldboy - 20mm?

Thanks Barbara - was rather pleased with the spider shot actually :)

Here's a couple of the growing little Lord Montague the Magnificent - aka 'Biscuit'.

5189392247_e98ca741ee_b.jpg

5189989870_f2e0c5a5d8_b.jpg

Last edited:

I haven't really tried out the video on my GF1 as I always use the video on my Panasonic TZ10 for gig photography, but I asssume it's very similar. The video on the TZ10 is far superior to my JVC video camcorder, both in terms of video quality and audio quality. Both the TZ10 and the GF1 record either as Quicktime movie or as AVCHD ( A format specific to Panasonic).

AVCHD is the highest quality but only plays back on Panasonic equipment, so I really don't see the point. I always record for Quicktime movie because of this, but if you have a compliant Panasonic device then it would be worth recording in AVCHD.

My personal opinion is go for the Panasonic, my camcorder never gets taken out now, it's so inferior.

Nice sharp pics again Oldboy - 20mm?

Thanks Barbara - was rather pleased with the spider shot actually :)

Here's a couple of the growing little Lord Montague the Magnificent - aka 'Biscuit'.

5189392247_e98ca741ee_b.jpg

5189989870_f2e0c5a5d8_b.jpg

The're lovely Graham. I'm feeling really sad today as our cat of 16 years is on his last legs. He's got leukaemia, kidney falure and now only weighs as few ounces as he wont eat even though I've cooked him fresh fish, steak, lamb and chicken. The vet said they can't do anything for him and just give him TLC until he looks like he doesn't want to go on. He's such a little fighter we are finding it really hard to come to the decision that we know we must make. It's a sad day.

I haven't really tried out the video on my GF1 as I always use the video on my Panasonic TZ10 for gig photography, but I asssume it's very similar. The video on the TZ10 is far superior to my JVC video camcorder, both in terms of video quality and audio quality. Both the TZ10 and the GF1 record either as Quicktime movie or as AVCHD ( A format specific to Panasonic).

AVCHD is the highest quality but only plays back on Panasonic equipment, so I really don't see the point. I always record for Quicktime movie because of this, but if you have a compliant Panasonic device then it would be worth recording in AVCHD.

My personal opinion is go for the Panasonic, my camcorder never gets taken out now, it's so inferior.

AVCHD is a widely used standard designed by Sony and Panasonic. It's playable on pretty much anything with the correct codec and is higher quality, uses less memory and doesn't need as fast an SD card as the alternative movie format found on Panasonic cameras.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD

As mentioned above, AVCHD is a standard which you can either transcode or some video editing packages such as Vegas can handle it natively. For playback, the likes of VLC can handle 720p ok (performance can be an issue with 1080p) and the PS3 can also play back AVCHD files. The mjpeg mov files are generally easier to play back on PCs but on some of the Panasonics you lose some options (such as 1080p and 720p60 on the GH1) as well reducing the recording limits.

I tend to stick with AVCHD for some of the reasons above plus I find it's good having the motivation to get the files edited as a few minutes spent with them can significantly improve the video for showing to people.

Still no sign of the courier with my 100-300mm and no update on the tracking since it left Milton Keynes yesterday :(

John

The video quality and functionality on a hacked GH1 is up there with the very best. To get the low light video capability and shallow DOF you can achieve with a DSLR (or GH1) you would need to spend 10s of thousands on a dedicated video camera. There are some drawbacks however. Sign up at nofilmschool and get their free pdf if you want to look into it properly. There is some stuff on Philip Bloom's blog also.

Please don't criticise what you don't understand. ;) I really fail to see how having video is 'adulterating' anything. Just because you don't use/like it doesn't mean it's not a valuable feature.

Re your 45-200mm shot - it looks pretty sharp but still not pin sharp - I think the fact that you were not quite at 200mm, stopped down slightly, and using a very high shutter speed all helped to get it as sharp as possible.

Grum,
Who said anything about 'pin sharp', (although I do think its 'sharp enough'). I said; I was happy, and that the 45-200mm does not come up to the standard of the 20mm! I recon at 185mm it is a good example, considering the suggestion that thing start to go off past 100mm?

It pains me that I have to have video when I dont want it, I know its not on the G1, but its on my D5000, which I have no choice about:thumbsdown: If I want video I will buy an appropriate camera . . . personal opinion; proper tool for a proper job!

Valuable feature:| not to me?? I suspect it simply costs me more . . . 'sales and marketing machines' are always looking for ways to put 'added value' as they call it, on a product . . . In other words; an excuse to be able to charge more than the product is truly worth or get one over on a competitor company. Never mind the buying public, they are gullible to advertising blurb! I hate being led by the nose???

CJS

If you're going to post such ignorant drivel, don't quote my post as part of it as you clearly haven't read any of it and don't have a clue what you're talking about. You can't even buy a video camera with anything close to the specification of the GH1 without spending vastly more money, while it has some disadvantages for video (as does any video camera) it has plenty of strengths as well. I did actually buy a decent Canon HD video camera but it's spent most of the time gathering dust, I didn't like its tiny sensor, I didn't like the controls, I didn't like the lack of lenses and I didn't like the fact it took up a slot in my bag that meant losing a lens. Hence I now get extensive use out of the GH1 for video as it works well in that role.

John

OK John, you obviously have some sort of 'handle' on video that I dont have or want. However, there does seem to be an awful lot of non standard; 'if's and but's', in you post #539 . . . ?

Sorry to offend, just MHO, CJS

Last edited:
OK John, you obviously have some sort of 'handle' on video that I dont have or want. However, there does seem to be an awful lot of non standard; 'if's and but's', in you post #539 . . . ?

Sorry to offend, just MHO, CJS

No, it's not a handle on video that only I have - if you paid any attention to the market (rather than post the tired, outdated and blinkered view of video on cameras) you'd notice that there's considerable interest in video particularly in the professional SLR market. Perhaps you should share your opinion with the 'idiots' who used a Canon 5D mk II to film one of the episodes of 'House' as clearly they should have been using a video camera for video?

I could post a lot of ifs and buts about video cameras as well (tiny sensor, very poor low light performance, no DoF control, no changeable lenses at the same level) which my your logic means you shouldn't use a video camera for video either I guess. At least I took the time to try and post some detailed reasoning rather than your waste of space comment that video is no good on cameras which frankly amounts to little more than trolling and in particular had no relevence to any of the points to the post you quoted hence I'd rather you hadn't quoted in the first place. I'm not saying everyone must use video on cameras but I see no point in posting if you're not going to post anything at all of use aside from you just don't like it.
John

Last edited:
No, it's not a handle on video that only I have - if you paid any attention to the market (rather than post the tired, outdated and blinkered view of video on cameras) you'd notice that there's considerable interest in video particularly in the professional SLR market. Perhaps you should share your opinion with the 'idiots' who used a Canon 5D mk II to film one of the episodes of 'House' as clearly they should have been using a video camera for video?

I could post a lot of ifs and buts about video cameras as well (tiny sensor, very poor low light performance, no DoF control, no changeable lenses at the same level) which my your logic means you shouldn't use a video camera for video either I guess. At least I took the time to try and post some detailed reasoning rather than your waste of space comment that video is no good on cameras which frankly amounts to little more than trolling and in particular had no relevence to any of the points to the post you quoted hence I'd rather you hadn't quoted in the first place. I'm not saying everyone must use video on cameras but I see no point in posting if you're not going to post anything at all of use aside from you just don't like it.
John

I have obviously rattled your cage John . . . again sorry, you are so right, I dont like video on my stills camera . . . (y)

CJS

AVCHD is a widely used standard designed by Sony and Panasonic. It's playable on pretty much anything with the correct codec and is higher quality, uses less memory and doesn't need as fast an SD card as the alternative movie format found on Panasonic cameras.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD

As mentioned above, AVCHD is a standard which you can either transcode or some video editing packages such as Vegas can handle it natively. For playback, the likes of VLC can handle 720p ok (performance can be an issue with 1080p) and the PS3 can also play back AVCHD files. The mjpeg mov files are generally easier to play back on PCs but on some of the Panasonics you lose some options (such as 1080p and 720p60 on the GH1) as well reducing the recording limits.

I tend to stick with AVCHD for some of the reasons above plus I find it's good having the motivation to get the files edited as a few minutes spent with them can significantly improve the video for showing to people.

Still no sign of the courier with my 100-300mm and no update on the tracking since it left Milton Keynes yesterday :(

John

Is there any advantage though to recording in AVCHD is you have no compliant device? The software which comes with my Panasonic cameras gives you the encoding software to convert back to MOV file, so what was the point in recording in AVCHD. I might be missing the point somewhere, but clarification would be welcome please.

Is there any advantage though to recording in AVCHD is you have no compliant device? The software which comes with my Panasonic cameras gives you the encoding software to convert back to MOV file, so what was the point in recording in AVCHD. I might be missing the point somewhere, but clarification would be welcome please.

The main advantage of AVCHD over MJPEG is the compression, at similar quality levels an AVCHD encoded video file should be considerably smaller as it can compress the video further without reducing quality. The GF1 in MJPEG mode I believe is limited to around eight minutes whereas an EU GF1 in AVCHD mode should be able to hit the 30 minute limit (no limit for non-EU cameras). So AVCHD offers you smaller file sizes and longer recording times but it's more difficult to view and edit.

It's going to depend on your usage as to which is the better one to use, with memory cards coming back down in price at the moment storage space isn't so much of an issue so if you're happy with the mjpeg mode so far then you may be as well sticking with it unless you're in a situation where you need to be able to record for as long as possible.

John

Thankfully the courier's nonsense tracking was completely wrong and the 100-300mm has arrived successfully today. The lens is quite a bit larger than the 14-140mm although it's not as heavy, it doesn't feel as solid and the zoom action is quite stiff in small steps although it may loosen off. Due to it being late at night I've not been able to try out the lens properly although the IS appears to be surprisingly effective as the image at 300mm looks more stable than I'd expect.

Some pictures:

1097275416_PyEyL-M.jpg

1097275259_S8XBE-M.jpg

1097275305_ejEsv-M.jpg

1097275331_rzUku-M.jpg

1097275354_nUWPY-M.jpg

1097275376_cK9Z8-M.jpg

John

Back