"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Well chaps ive gone and done it. Sold all my Canon gear (7D + lens collection)

I will be shopping for a 4/3 tomorrow. Im fancying a GX1, with EVF and the power X 14-42 lens for compactness & flexibility.

Although this will entirely depend on how sharp the lens is after reading 'soft' focusing reports.

I may end up walking out with a 20mm 1.7.

I then plan on picking up a 100-300 or similar in the summer.

Off now to go count all my spare cash and pack the big camera bag away :LOL:

Here' s to more enjoyable photography! :cool:

Tiger Feet said:
Well chaps ive gone and done it. Sold all my Canon gear (7D + lens collection)

I will be shopping for a 4/3 tomorrow. Im fancying a GX1, with EVF and the power X 14-42 lens for compactness & flexibility.

Although this will entirely depend on how sharp the lens is after reading 'soft' focusing reports.

I may end up walking out with a 20mm 1.7.

I then plan on picking up a 100-300 or similar in the summer.

Off now to go count all my spare cash and pack the big camera bag away :LOL:

Here' s to more enjoyable photography! :cool:

Brave move !! I have a similar collection by the sounds of things, and was contemplating a similar move. I've opted for selling my G3 and 14-45 instead to raise funds for a GX1 and power zoom lens. My only concern is the soft focus issues- have they been rectified with firmware do you know ?

have they been rectified with firmware do you know ?

Not that i know off. Seems to be vibration and shutter speed related on the 'faulty' ones from what ive read. Apparently if you hold the barrel its alot better.

Will be trying out fully before purchasing thats for sure.

I think I may have just got myself a bargain! Was looking at getting a "GF" to supplement my G2 and whilst the GF2 might not have been my first choice I have just bought a second hand one on a commissioned sale in Camera World. It's in mint condition and complete with all accessories etc in the original box and (here' s the best bit) comes with the panny 20mm lens. All for £250 with 6 month guarantee. Is it just me or does anyone else think that's a good deal?

Markp777 said:
I think I may have just got myself a bargain! Was looking at getting a "GF" to supplement my G2 and whilst the GF2 might not have been my first choice I have just bought a second hand one on a commissioned sale in Camera World. It's in mint condition and complete with all accessories etc in the original box and (here' s the best bit) comes with the panny 20mm lens. All for £250 with 6 month guarantee. Is it just me or does anyone else think that's a good deal?

Thats a great deal bearing in mind they are selling used gf2 for £195 body only. Used 20mm lenses tend to go for around £200 so you have got a bargain.

Tiger Feet said:
I'll give you £125 for the 20mm to half your outlay ;) - THEN you have a bargain! :D

I think I'll stick with my more expensive bargain :D
I'm really chuffed I NEVER find good deals!

It's interesting to see people going for the GX1.

I have a GF1 and after a brief honeymoon period I quickly went off it and since getting a G1 I've only used it once. I prefer a VF to the rear screen and absolutely hate using zooms and rear screens. The G3 is very compact, more so than a G1, or a GF1 or GX1 with a VF and TBH I can't really imagine choosing a non VF camera now.

Markp777 said:

(y) that's a superb deal, considering I just shelled out the best part of £300 for a 20mm alone! But its worth it from what I've seen so far :)

Best place to buy a GX1? The best I can find is WEX at 479 with 14-42 non motorized. Not sure I should really be splashing out but the reviews and input here are making it too tempting!!

Has the GX1 surpassed the GH2 in IQ terms?

Now I have decided my future is with M4/3 I think I might upgrade from my GF2. The GF2 is great but just seems to lack in a few areas that I think the newer M4/3 cameras now address. I might not upgrade just yet but probably within the next 6 months. I am waiting to see what the GH3 turns out to be like because the rumours of it being a more pro orientated model certainly make it sound very appealing.

This is taken from another post about the GH2 vs GX1 and might help:

"I have owned the GH2 since December of 2010 and the GX1 for a month. I have not handled the G3, but the GX1 grip is pretty sure for a small camera, but I don't think it's significantly different from the G3's grip (though it's a smaller camera, so it may feel better to you). The GH2 grip is very secure, and is a big step up in handling, especially with larger lenses, provided the size is not an issue for you.

The GH2 has more external controls than the GX1, but the metal buttons do feel better on the GX1. They're nice. The GX1 handles extremely well for a small camera, but it lacks the dedicated switches for drive mode and autofocus that the GH2 has. One nice thing about the GX1, though is that the quick menu is better implemented and it has an internal orientation sensor, so your verticals will all rotate properly. It's nice.

The GH2's viewfinder is slightly larger than the G3's or the GX1's external EVF, at least when shooting 3:2 or 16:9. Also, unlike the G3, it has an eye sensor so it automatically switches between the rear LCD and EVF, which is very nice.

The GH2 has a multi-aspect sensor, which is great if you shoot other than 4:3, as you don't get a cropped image in 3:2 or 16:9...you actually get greater horizontal FOV and decreased vertical FOV.

The GX1 is better at high ISO, with a little lower noise and much better color response and dynamic range at 3200 and higher.

The GH2 has much better control over video. The GX1 has the ability to basically set ISO and, well, that's about it. If you shoot a lot of video, the GH2 would be the way to go.

I own both and use both. If compact size and a little better software and a little better high ISO image quality are your desires, then the GX1 would be the way to go. If you want a bigger grip, EVF and multi-aspect sensor, or if you're shooting a lot of video, the GH2 is the way to go. The GX1 feels more solidly built, but the GH2 has held up beautifully for me over the past year+...I've put about 17,000 frames on it in a year and two months. The GX1 feels like a small rangefinder and handles best with small lenses like pancakes or small primes like the silver Olympus primes (12/2 and 45/1.8). The Leica 25/1.4 also feels fine on the GX1, though larger lenses start to feel a little awkward. The GH2 feels like a small DSLR and handles well with pretty much any lens."

Personally I own and love the GX1 but with a small child (who I have to carry often) I really appreciate the smaller size and also think the GX1 feels like a premium camera which appeals to me.

:bang:
It's interesting to see people going for the GX1.

I have a GF1 and after a brief honeymoon period I quickly went off it and since getting a G1 I've only used it once. I prefer a VF to the rear screen and absolutely hate using zooms and rear screens. The G3 is very compact, more so than a G1, or a GF1 or GX1 with a VF and TBH I can't really imagine choosing a non VF camera now.

Have to agree, I've had a GF1 for quite a while now but prefer the G1 for the viewfinder.

I bought the external VF for the GF1 but it's not the same.

Just ordered a Fuji X10 as a walkabout to replace my LX3 and GF1 as it has a optical finder. It's not the best but better than none.

I have the G3 first time I have had a camera with a tilting screen and find it really useful but don't tend to use the viewfinder that much but have the best of both worlds.

Last edited:
Loads of folks going for the GX1, I'd just advise you all to consider the G3, it's cheaper, has the same sensor/image quality, EVF, and flip out screen (which I found invaluable).

The only down side is it's shape/size and as a result feels awkward to hold.

@ricky1981 - Thanks for posting that. I do shoot a lot of video which is one reason that GH2 appeals. I was interested in the hack that makes it's video very very good. However it seems my class 10 Transcend cards are not really up to the job and I don't want to fork out £100s for Sandisc ones.

I still might weight to see what's coming next from Panasonic. If I could get a GH2 second hand then I could try it and not lose much if I sold it again but they seem very rare used.

I have had another few minutes with the gx1 again today, I have to say that the grip has grown on me a little and felt more comfortable to hold. I really do like it, but the viewfinder add on is making me a little annoyed, at such an extra cost. I don't know if I could live without it and at the same time I can't justify the extra cost. I handled the g3 again too, and it has grown on me. Another thing I noted when I read dpreviews review of the gx1, Panasonic have improved the sensor since it was used in the g3, giving it the edge of the high iso capabilities. So still very undecided and don't know what to do. I a, loving the idea of the OmD with the grip, built in viewfinder and what appears to be a very good sensor. I seem to be finding it very hard to satisfy myself that I can get what I want. I still think that Panasonic should do a g2 body with the perfomance from the gx1. Too many decisions! Bring on focus so I can have more time to play!

michael23 said:
I have had another few minutes with the gx1 again today, I have to say that the grip has grown on me a little and felt more comfortable to hold. I really do like it, but the viewfinder add on is making me a little annoyed, at such an extra cost. I don't know if I could live without it and at the same time I can't justify the extra cost. I handled the g3 again too, and it has grown on me. Another thing I noted when I read dpreviews review of the gx1, Panasonic have improved the sensor since it was used in the g3, giving it the edge of the high iso capabilities. So still very undecided and don't know what to do. I a, loving the idea of the OmD with the grip, built in viewfinder and what appears to be a very good sensor. I seem to be finding it very hard to satisfy myself that I can get what I want. I still think that Panasonic should do a g2 body with the perfomance from the gx1. Too many decisions! Bring on focus so I can have more time to play!

I know what you mean, decisions decisions. On the G3/GX1 image quality I'd read that too, but it sounds very slight to be probably unnoticeable. Interesting also that the handling of the G3 is growing on you, but try living with it and I'd be surprised. Having a G1 in the same bag has me reaching for it more than the G3 only because of the handling.

I'm going to go for the OM-D, although I was going to wait and see what pro body Panasonic release, but the free battery grip offer on the OM-D on preorders is going to make me go for it early I reckon, love the idea of a battery grip on m4/3 body it costs £225 on its own :0

Last edited:
ShrubMonkey said:
Interesting, thanks for posting... One of the big reasons I'd not swap completely to m43 is lack of lens choice, but sigma and tamron getting in on the act can only be a good thing. I'm sure in time Panasonic and Olympus will produce a greater range, but the lack of IS on Olly lenses will always rule out their slow zooms for me. I'd like to see tamron and sigma produce m43 equivalents to their macro and UWA lenses, at decent prices. Not sure if that's very likely tho!

All that said, the 30mm seems to fill a gap between the panny 20mm and Olly 45mm, albeit slower... If it were to cost £140 I'm sure they'd sell bucketloads of them (and I might be tempted...), but at €199 I'm sure it'll be the same in £'s, if not more. I'm going to keep saving for the 45mm :)

ronnus said:
Interesting, thanks for posting... One of the big reasons I'd not swap completely to m43 is lack of lens choice, but sigma and tamron getting in on the act can only be a good thing. I'm sure in time Panasonic and Olympus will produce a greater range, but the lack of IS on Olly lenses will always rule out their slow zooms for me. I'd like to see tamron and sigma produce m43 equivalents to their macro and UWA lenses, at decent prices. Not sure if that's very likely tho!

All that said, the 30mm seems to fill a gap between the panny 20mm and Olly 45mm, albeit slower... If it were to cost £140 I'm sure they'd sell bucketloads of them (and I might be tempted...), but at €199 I'm sure it'll be the same in £'s, if not more. I'm going to keep saving for the 45mm :)

You should love the 45mm, my fav lens

ShrubMonkey said:
I know what you mean, decisions decisions. On the G3/GX1 image quality I'd read that too, but it sounds very slight to be probably unnoticeable. Interesting also that the handling of the G3 is growing on you, but try living with it and I'd be surprised. Having a G1 in the same bag has me reaching for it more than the G3 only because of the handling.

I'm going to go for the OM-D, although I was going to wait and see what pro body Panasonic release, but the free battery grip offer on the OM-D on preorders is going to make me go for it early I reckon, love the idea of a battery grip on m4/3 body it costs £225 on its own :0

the deal is brilliant. Even if the price did drop at some point, it is still easily going to be £1000 as I would have to buy the grip anyway. If I had the money I would be ordering right now I think. I am really looking forward to seeing it at foucs. The last time I spent that much on a camera was a film body, the Canin eos 1n!!

Simon, that is an excellent pic off your gf3.

Just did a little test tonight, as several people have been querying the softness of the lens. Rubbish subject matter but I was quite pleased with the clarity and sharpness this lens produces. They were taken in raw and then converted to jpeg, no processing done, straight from camera.

1.Wide end of the lens 14mm

testing Lumix G x Vario PZ 14-42 lens by hillwalkinggirl, on Flickr

2.Telephoto end 42mm.

The original size is on my flickr site.

hillwalkinggirl said:
Just did a little test tonight, as several people have been querying the softness of the lens. Rubbish subject matter but I was quite pleased with the clarity and sharpness this lens produces. They were taken in raw and then converted to jpeg, no processing done, straight from camera.

1.Wide end of the lens 14mm
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hillwalkinggirl/6775495798/

2.Telephoto end 42mm.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hillwalkinggirl/6921620217/

The original size is on my flickr site.

Nothing wrong with the sharpness there - which is re-assuring to know :)

I'm going m4/3 here for my travel kit (more info in another post) and so far have my old GF1, 14-42 kit lens, Panny 20/1.7, Oly 45/1.8 and Samyang 7.5mm.

All the primes are great and the 45/1.8 and fish-eye are also much better built than the 20/1.7.

So I was looking to maybe upgrade to the G3 because the OM-D E-M5 is still ways off.. Is it possible to configure the G3 so that the EVF is used for shooting but menus pop up on the back screen without toggling the LCD/EVF button all the time?

That's bothering me because I'm so used to changing settings from the top or rear lcd... Aperture, shutter speed, ISO, exposure comp are fine in the OVF :)

Just got myself a Canon FL 58mm 1.2!
Can't wait when the lens and the lens mount arrives for me to play!

Looks like I maybe saying goodbye to the Minolta Rokkor 58mm 1.4!

Back