"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

woof woof said:
Yup.

Personally I doubt Panny can match the latest offerings from others and what's to come but only time will tell.

Hmm I'd say in the CSC market they are pretty well much of a muchness, the lenses is where it's it and where Sony is seriously lagging

I'd say that Oly, Fuji and Sony have now moved ahead of Panny in DR, higher ISO and general IQ and although I'd like to see Panny catch up personally I doubt they can as so far they've shown little evidence of being on the cutting edge.

The biggest gap in the Sony lens line up for me was the lack of a 30/35mm f1.4/1.8 and as there's a 35mm f1.8 with IS coming things are looking up.

If I went for a Sony I'd want a 30/35mm and 50mm f1.4/1.8 and a wide and possibly a kit zoom and a macro and they look like all being available now or in the case of the 35mm soon.

I'd say that Oly, Fuji and Sony have now moved ahead of Panny in DR, higher ISO and general IQ and although I'd like to see Panny catch up personally I doubt they can as so far they've shown little evidence of being on the cutting edge.

Wasn't the last major improvement the GH2 around 2 years ago, won't you have to wait to see if there is a new sensor in the GH3?

can anyone tell me if a microphone can be attached to the panny-G2K and if so any budget recommendations

I'm trying my GF3 with 20mm now as my go everywhere camera, but looking for a small bag to keep it protected, anybody got any recommendations for this combo?

When I got my GX1 and 14-42 I thought I'd continue with the small theme and got a Lowepro 110AW and that I thought perfect. Typically the 14mm turned up, then the 45-200, then the Nissin flash, then the LVF2. It all fits into a Lowepro 140AW now!

I have a friend who is buying into Panasonic M4/3 system, at present she has a broken Olympus E500 but two working (4/3 mount), Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 ED and an Olympus Digital 40-150 1:3.5-4.5.

Does anyone have experience of using these lenses on the M4/3 system, can you buy an adaptor to retain autofocus? or will she have to manualy focus them?. I have tried Google for an answer but I have given up with a headache amidst all the confusing results :help:

Last edited:
Probably fine - I think it's only a distance thing, so I don't think there's any optics in the adapter.

I have a friend who is buying into Panasonic M4/3 system, at present she has a broken Olympus E500 but two working (4/3 mount), Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 ED and an Olympus Digital 40-150 1:3.5-4.5.

Does anyone have experience of using these lenses on the M4/3 system, can you buy an adaptor to retain autofocus? or will she have to manualy focus them?. I have tried Google for an answer but I have given up with a headache amidst all the confusing results :help:

I asked a similar question a while ago, with the adapter it varies from body to body and lens to lens HERE is a table to help you work out which lens does what on which body ...

Hope that makes sense

Last edited:
I asked a similar question a while ago, with the adapter it varies from body to body and lens to lens HERE is a table to help you work out which lens does what on which body ...

Hope that makes sense

That was a great help Hugh (y), after checking I think it will be better for her to just use them manually as they need the latest firmware for compatibility which would be impossible as the Olympus body has a shattered screen which i presume you need to refer to during the firmware update process.

That was a great help Hugh (y), after checking I think it will be better for her to just use them manually as they need the latest firmware for compatibility which would be impossible as the Olympus body has a shattered screen which i presume you need to refer to during the firmware update process.

As I have never updated a camera body or lens before, I assume I am correct in saying you need the camera lcd screen to follow though the procedure.

Expecting a simple yes to confirm...:D

As I have never updated a camera body or lens before, I assume I am correct in saying you need the camera lcd screen to follow though the procedure.

Expecting a simple yes to confirm...:D

If it has a viewfinder as well, Mal then all the menu stuff can be seen through that... so she could do it.

If only the lcd then you need to see stuff that says "do you want to upgrade from xxxx to xxx .. confirm' etc. so it depends how much she can see.

If it has a viewfinder as well, Mal then all the menu stuff can be seen through that... so she could do it.

If only the lcd then you need to see stuff that says "do you want to upgrade from xxxx to xxx .. confirm' etc. so it depends how much she can see.
That's better than a simple yes :) I will have to take another look at the Olympus body and see if the process can be done in the viewfinder:)

(y)

... an Olympus Digital 40-150 1:3.5-4.5.
That is a heck of a good lens, and with the adapter (I've got the Panasonic one, used for £70) it focuses well but slowly.
Now that I have the mZuiko 40-150 I leave the bigger 4/3rds one on my DSLR bodies. When I want the 'look' from that lens it really does the business.

I'm interested in the new Pany 45-150mm, it seems much smaller than the 45-200 and 45-175. Think it could be nice to have that focal range in such a small unit.

I must have blanked the Lumix 45-150 from my mind as so unlikely ... considering the very similar size and focal length of their existing 40-175, thanks for the links Julian.
What's the logic behind this lens?

Reading on : logic might just be the same as behind the 14-42 : cheaper to make, audience doesn't care, sell more boxes.
Ironically the G5 seems to work better with the existing 45-175 than did the G3.

Last edited:
Ulfric M Douglas said:
I must have blanked the Lumix 45-150 from my mind as so unlikely ... considering the very similar size and focal length of their existing 40-175, thanks for the links Julian.
What's the logic behind this lens?

Reading on : logic might just be the same as behind the 14-42 : cheaper to make, audience doesn't care, sell more boxes.
Ironically the G5 seems to work better with the existing 45-175 than did the G3.

Do you have he 45-175? I'm interested as its a zoom lens that doesn't extend, but the double image issue stuff has put me right off :(

Has anyone tried the Sigma 19mm or 30mm out? I'm thinking of getting the 19mm as a stop gap until I can afford the Panasonic 25mm.

Last edited:
I dropped my 14mm lens cap into a river last week :( Can't believe how expensive replacements are, just for a little bit of plastic. In the meantime I've ordered a no brand cheapo job, but would be handy to buy another Lumix branded cap if I ever want to sell it. Anybody got any recommendations of where to get one from?

ShrubMonkey said:
I dropped my 14mm lens cap into a river last week :( Can't believe how expensive replacements are, just for a little bit of plastic. In the meantime I've ordered a no brand cheapo job, but would be handy to buy another Lumix branded cap if I ever want to sell it. Anybody got any recommendations of where to get one from?

http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/shop-by-brand/panasonic/lens-body-caps.html. But as you said.....expensive

Just waiting for a 35-100 now ;)

Yes, I know I should be more careful with the placement, but I thought I had it right....

2012-09-03-P1000378.jpg

Thanks Janice, that's about what I expected

Cheaper than from Panasonic direct, they want £13.14 plus p&p.

I think I may replace mine with ebay cheapies, if I lose one of them, it won't cost a lot to replace and if and when I sell the lens on, the cap will be like new.

Hi there im considering a G3, is there such an adaptor available to enable auto focus on canon ef lenses ?

2 cracking little lenses they are Mandy. I had a play with them on my dads G3. Very nice little lenses to use. I would certainly have these in my kit bag if the G3 was mine.

Thanks Michael, they do seem to get favourable reviews so very tempted to give one a go. DigitalRev have the 19mm at £130 and the 30mm at £135 which seem like pretty good prices.

Back