"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

When I brought my g5 at focus I had it with the 14mm prime as I wanted to wait till this new 14-42 came out; looks like it was a good choice. It looks a good lens.

The new gf-6 looks really nice, perhaps the new processing engine will give the sensor a bit of a performance boost.

Also thanks for the link to the tripod mount, great for future reference.

One other question, has anyone using a different strap with there g series? I really dont like the lumix one.

Well so far so good with the GF5, it feels better in the hand than the GF3 did and the controls are all easy to access (unlike an EPM1 that I tried). Since it arrived I haven't used my GF1 and don't feel I am missing it so I guess it will get sold soon. Just unsure whether to keep the 14mm or sell it with the GF1... Just ordered the Oly 45 f1.8 too, am getting sucked rapidly back into the m43s world!

Well my GF1 is now off with a friend who may well be buying it from me. I'm hoping he want's it body only as I would quite like to keep hold of the 14mm... I suspect I will end up buying a second body again soon either another GF5 or a GF3. My 45 f1.8 is due to arrive today, I'm really looking forward to playing with it.

One other question, has anyone using a different strap with there g series? I really dont like the lumix one.
I use a leather wrist strap from e-bay....

I have one of these from eBay that I use instead of the supplied one.
It's a bit wider than the supplied strap and I find it more comfortable and I like the tan colour. :cool:

I also have a neoprene one that's very comfortable but looks a bit 'foreign tourist' IMO! :eek:

I use a leather wrist strap from e-bay....

Not really thought about a wrist strap, shall have a look.

I have one of these from eBay that I use instead of the supplied one.
It's a bit wider than the supplied strap and I find it more comfortable and I like the tan colour. :cool:

I also have a neoprene one that's very comfortable but looks a bit 'foreign tourist' IMO! :eek:

The neoprene version is quite noticeable isn't it. The tan one doesn't seem too bad.

Well it's the wife's birthday on Monday so I've bought myself the 12-35 2.8! :naughty:

I can't wait to try it on my G5 but I can't shake a nagging suspicion that it's not going to be as good as I want it to be.

Well it's the wife's birthday on Monday so I've bought myself the 12-35 2.8! :naughty:

I can't wait to try it on my G5 but I can't shake a nagging suspicion that it's not going to be as good as I want it to be.

Wow. I wish I could afford to spend £800 on a lens that I thought was unlikely to be as good as I wanted. I have the lens and love it.

Wow. I wish I could afford to spend £800 on a lens that I thought was unlikely to be as good as I wanted. I have the lens and love it.

Same here - I spent £650 importing mine because I was convinced that I would love it - and I do!

If I don't like it, I'll return it! If I do, then it was worth the cash.

My Olypmus 45 f1.8 arrived a couple of days ago and so far I am loving it, I suspect that if I had bought one when I had my previous G series camera I would have stuck with Panasonic rather than trying other systems. Here are a few of my test shots (all at f1.8 )....

8641468856_a371ca4758_b.jpg

8641468358_00cf3e9115_b.jpg

8641467966_081138048b_b.jpg

8641466212_c8d22a8b7c_b.jpg

8641465292_d664c9f729_b.jpg

Last edited:
My Olypmus 45 f1.8 arrived a couple of days ago and so far I am loving it, I suspect that if I had bought one when I had my previous G series camera I would have stuck with Panasonic rather than trying other systems. Here are a few of my test shots (all at f1.8)...

They are great - who says you can't do bokeh on m43 :shrug:
The O45 is a superb lens

Postie was knocking on the door at 7.30 this morning, when I answered it he was stood there with a nice new shiny Panny GH3 in his hands. So I am now a member of the m43 club. (y)

I originally wanted an OMD (I love the retro styling) and almost pulled the trigger on more than one occasion, but ultimately decided that for me size does matter and I preferred the handling of the GH3.

My previous camera was a 7D with a selection of lenses, which wasn't an ideal travelling companion and I know that the GH3 is considered to be on the large size for a m43 (about the same as my old 450d) but it is a considerable saving in both size and weight (especially the lenses) over the 7D.

Anyway 2hrs of ownership and not a hint of buyers remorse, so only time will tell if it was the right decision. :)

What RAW converters are folks using with GF5 files? Annoyingly LR3 won't recognise them, so I am looking elsewhere. I have had a play with the supplied software (silkypix) and wasn't impressed by it. Does anyone know if LR4 handles the RAWs? Or can anyone recommend an alternative program to use (bearing in mind that I am happily using LR3 with my other stuff)?

Could always convert to DNG and avoid paying for new software.

It really bugs me that PS software is so expensive... and then they stop adding new cameras to it.

Adobe have a free 'DNG Converter' for download (you'll have to search for it) that converts your RAW files into DNG files. These are still 'RAW' files, with the benefits you get from them, but in a more universal format. LR3 can open the DNG files and process them the same way as for normal RAW files.

Yup. It's a pretty simple process and files can be worked on normally.

The only issue I've found is that when going from RAW to DNG and then to JPEG the files may end up being bigger, as in more mp's, than a file converted from RAW to JPEG.

Bought a Lumix GX1 today, glad to be back in the gang and will look forward to sharing some shots.

Although I bought body only and currently don't have any lenses :) - I missed out on 2 recent sales for a P20 and a O45 on here :(

Going to get just primes this time around - the S7.5, P14, P20 and O45 (yes I know! - this will be the 4th P20 I have owned, the 3rd P14 and the 2nd O45/S7.5).

Although I bought body only and currently don't have any lenses :) - I missed out on 2 recent sales for a P20 and a O45 on here :(

Keep an eye on the classifieds, I'm probably going to sell my P20. I just can't get past using my 14-45 and don't want to carry extra lenses. I think I'm just a lazy zoom user ;).

I'm going to take it out the first day with decent weather this week and give it some proper use before making a decision by the weekend.

I've decided to change my CSC from M43 to Nikon 1 so have just put a few bits up for sale in the classifieds HERE if anyone is interested.

Keep an eye on the classifieds, I'm probably going to sell my P20. I just can't get past using my 14-45 and don't want to carry extra lenses. I think I'm just a lazy zoom user ;).

I'm going to take it out the first day with decent weather this week and give it some proper use before making a decision by the weekend.

:woot:

My lovely silver GX1 body has arrived - first 2 I had were black so at least it looks like something different!

Just got to wait til tomorrow to get my first lenses to be able to take a photo or two :LOL:

Last edited:
I need to sort a new bag for my growing Panasonic m4/3rd's kit and have been looking at Domke f6 and Thinktank Retrospective 5. Has anybody used these or similar bags or have any other recommendations? I have a Domke f5-xb, but that's just a bit too small now.

Thanks in advance,

Cliff

I need to sort a new bag for my growing Panasonic m4/3rd's kit and have been looking at Domke f6 and Thinktank Retrospective 5. Has anybody used these or similar bags or have any other recommendations? I have a Domke f5-xb, but that's just a bit too small now.

Thanks in advance,

Cliff

Hi Cliff,

I tried a Domke f6 for my Panasonic G5, 45-175, 14, P25, O45 and 14-42 PZ along with spare batteries, charger etc and it was too small.

I then found the Redsnapper UNO.

This bag is amazing! It holds all the above with room to spare for future purchases yet is only slightly bigger than the Domke f6 but its much cheaper! :eek:

It is well made and comfortable and has that quality feel that was missing from some bags I've owned in the past that cost 3 times what the UNO does.

When I had my DSLR kit I never found a bag I was 100% happy with (and I had quite a few! :naughty:) but with the UNO I've found the perfect bag for my m4/3 kit!

(I am in no way affiliated with Redsnapper btw. :cool:)

Back