"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

I bought the gx80 as a walk about small shove in the pocket camera and it does that pretty well and l do like the features it offers just not the evf. I also have the Olympus e-m1 mkii and the evf on that is really nice. Have you checked out the Olympus m4/3 cameras?
No, I've never tried an Oly. I have nothing against them and I have both old and modern Oly lenses but for whatever or even no reason all of my MFT cameras have been Panny, GF1, G1, G7, GX7 and GX80.

I used my GX80 today and there's no doubt it's a nice camera and it's very close to being a very nice camera but the same things annoy and disappoint me every time I use it... it has auto ISO in manual but without exposure compensation, no dof preview in aperture and shutter modes and a clunky one in manual and... that poor evf.

I'd like to stick with an rf style body so I'll stick with what I have and hope for something better to come along in the next few years or I may give up on MFT as it's been a frustrating love / hate thing from day one and just go with a Sony A7x as with a compact prime there's not a lot in it really size and weight wise and although I like having the MFT zoom lenses available the fact is that I mostly use primes which can be replaced with Sony FF ones.

I've been pondering on the GX80 for sticking in my pocket when I go cycling. At the moment I use a GM1 which is great - except it doesn't have an EVF at all. I used to have a G3 which I should have kept, but I was seduced by the upgraded sensor on the GM1 (it is a fine sensor). I think even the GX80 EVF will be better than nothing. But for now I'm resisting - they're still a whisper above my buying price range.

They are better than nothing and many people will be perfectly happy. I don't see the tearing that some see, my complaints are that to me nothing looks sharp and it looks blurry if you don't look straight through the middle.

Another camera to possibly think about is the Panny TZ100. It too has a poor EVF and it's a 1" sensor so smaller than MFT but it has a useful zoom range and it's quite small. They're a bit expensive though.

No, I've never tried an Oly. I have nothing against them and I have both old and modern Oly lenses but for whatever or even no reason all of my MFT cameras have been Panny, GF1, G1, G7, GX7 and GX80.

I used my GX80 today and there's no doubt it's a nice camera and it's very close to being a very nice camera but the same things annoy and disappoint me every time I use it... it has auto ISO in manual but without exposure compensation, no dof preview in aperture and shutter modes and a clunky one in manual and... that poor evf.

I'd like to stick with an rf style body so I'll stick with what I have and hope for something better to come along in the next few years or I may give up on MFT as it's been a frustrating love / hate thing from day one and just go with a Sony A7x as with a compact prime there's not a lot in it really size and weight wise and although I like having the MFT zoom lenses available the fact is that I mostly use primes which can be replaced with Sony FF ones.

In your shoes I would switch to Sony. If I'm not happy with my gear for any reason, enough to feel disappointed every time I use it, I move on. I'm never tied to any brand . I like to change now and then, keeps things fresh. Only you can make the decision though.

At the mo I have an A7 and although it's perfectly fine for most things it's slooooow and MFT is my speedy kit for social use. To get that speed I'd need... what? An A9? A7RIII? Maybe the A7III will be up to the job? And I'd lose the use of the MFT zooms which I'd never replace with FF ones as they're just too big.

There is always the option of an A6300 but the lenses just aren't there especially a compact 35mm equiv f1.8, the existing one is too big and too expensive.

I'll think on it.

Last edited:
Regarding the EVF in the GX9 - will it be worse than the EVF in the G80 ?

I like the look of the GX9 and the 20 mp sensor but like the EVF in my G80 !

AFAIK the G80 has a very nice EVF, I liked the one in my older SLR style G7. The smaller RF style cameras like the GX7 and GX80 that I have have the field sequential EVF and if the one on the GX9 is similar I'd bet my boots it isn't as nice as the ones fitted to the SLR style cameras. I assume that no one here has tried a GX9 yet but it does look like it has a similar EVF to the GX80 and if that is indeed the case I personally would be put off as I don't like the ones fitted to the cameras I have.

AFAIK the G80 has a very nice EVF, I liked the one in my older SLR style G7. The smaller RF style cameras like the GX7 and GX80 that I have have the field sequential EVF and if the one on the GX9 is similar I'd bet my boots it isn't as nice as the ones fitted to the SLR style cameras. I assume that no one here has tried a GX9 yet but it does look like it has a similar EVF to the GX80 and if that is indeed the case I personally would be put off as I don't like the ones fitted to the cameras I have.

Yes I like the one in my G80 and wouldnt like a downward step...

The EVF on the G80 is very good, it's up there with Fuji's newer model evfs IMO. Apart from when it shows motion blurring at slower shutter speeds, you could easily convince someone it was an OVF

I see there is a wider eyecup for for the gx9, meant for people who wear glasses, might make it more comfortable to use with out glasses. I have warmed to the gx9 a bit more after watching a few bits of coverage. I like the idea of a straight forward simple design and looks great with the 15mm1.7, even though I have had my 7d2 for ages, I never get the buttons right when I want to change something!

View: https://youtu.be/kMMuZwdJBco

I'm really impressed with our gx8. We treated ourselves before we went travelling around New Zealand and it was so great to have such a small camera (compared to out Nikon D7000).

BTW the way, thanks for all the great tips in this thread.

I see there is a wider eyecup for for the gx9, meant for people who wear glasses, might make it more comfortable to use with out glasses. I have warmed to the gx9 a bit more after watching a few bits of coverage. I like the idea of a straight forward simple design and looks great with the 15mm1.7, even though I have had my 7d2 for ages, I never get the buttons right when I want to change something!

View: https://youtu.be/kMMuZwdJBco

He always reminds me of Jeff Goldblum the way he speaks :D

After whinging and whining about the GX9's evf and not being at all happy I suppose it is what it is and there's nothing I can do apart from buy and live with it or not buy it.

Reviews rarely mention the things I want to know so if anyone either buys a GX9 or maybe just gets to handle one could they please let me know...

Is auto ISO with exposure compensation available in any or all modes?
(My Panny cameras have this in aperture and shutter but not in manual mode where auto ISO is not available at all on the GX7 whilst the GX80 has auto ISO but no exposure compensation.)

Does the exposure compensation dial work in manual mode?
(I'd guess that it works in aperture and shutter so the question is will it work in manual.)

Is there the option of having constant DoF preview in any mode and if so how good is it?
(It's not available in aperture and shutter on my cameras but works in manual... although I'd describe it as clunky.)

My thinking is that the GX9 could replace my GX7 and GX80 and be the GX7 replacement with a better shutter and a few other nice things from the GX80 that I wanted.

After whinging and whining about the GX9's evf and not being at all happy I suppose it is what it is and there's nothing I can do apart from buy and live with it or not buy it.

Reviews rarely mention the things I want to know so if anyone either buys a GX9 or maybe just gets to handle one could they please let me know...

Is auto ISO with exposure compensation available in any or all modes?
(My Panny cameras have this in aperture and shutter but not in manual mode where auto ISO is not available at all on the GX7 whilst the GX80 has auto ISO but no exposure compensation.)

Does the exposure compensation dial work in manual mode?
(I'd guess that it works in aperture and shutter so the question is will it work in manual.)

Is there the option of having constant DoF preview in any mode and if so how good is it?
(It's not available in aperture and shutter on my cameras but works in manual... although I'd describe it as clunky.)

My thinking is that the GX9 could replace my GX7 and GX80 and be the GX7 replacement with a better shutter and a few other nice things from the GX80 that I wanted.
I
I'm sure I heard in a video that auto iso and exposure compensation are available in manual, can't think which video it was. If I find it again I shall post it.

I
I'm sure I heard in a video that auto iso and exposure compensation are available in manual, can't think which video it was. If I find it again I shall post it.
Great stuff. When I get time I'll have a Google myself and if I find anything I'll report back.

Great stuff. When I get time I'll have a Google myself and if I find anything I'll report back.
On the G80 auto iso works in manual, but I don't see how exposure compensation will work, as in manual mode the rear dial changes the shutter speed. The exposure compensation display then becomes exposure assistance

On the G80 auto iso works in manual, but I don't see how exposure compensation will work, as in manual mode the rear dial changes the shutter speed. The exposure compensation display then becomes exposure assistance

I suppose you need three dials for aperture, shutter and exposure compensation or at least two dials one of which is a dual use dial.

With previous Panny cameras whatever control should work as exposure compensation doesn't work in manual but I think I read somewhere that it works on the Pen F.

I find this ability very useful with my Sony, I set the aperture and shutter I want and use exposure compensation to alter the brightness of the scene by changing the ISO. I do hope that Panny implement this on future cameras.

Thats why i use shutter priority and shoot with the lens wide open and auto iso,the rear wheel controls shutter speed and the front exposure compensation,its the quickest way i can find.

Thats why i use shutter priority and shoot with the lens wide open and auto iso,the rear wheel controls shutter speed and the front exposure compensation,its the quickest way i can find.
I've been using shutter priority and auto iso, but on my camera the front dial controls the shutter speed and the rear does exposure compensation.

I've been using shutter priority and auto iso, but on my camera the front dial controls the shutter speed and the rear does exposure compensation.

You can set that which ever way round you want it, for me the front one is easier to adjust while the camera is up to my eye or if ime panning.

You can set that which ever way round you want it, for me the front one is easier to adjust while the camera is up to my eye or if ime panning.
I might try that and see how I get on.
I only set the rear wheel for exp comp as It resembled what I was used to with my Old D7000. Old habits die hard, lol.

You could still do that but use the button to change the iso

On the cameras that don't allow EC in manual mode, like the Panny cameras I have, changing the ISO to alter the scene brightness isn't automatic, you have to press buttons and do it yourself and therefore it's nowhere near as convenient or as fast.

The disadvantage with shutter speed is that it can select too wide an aperture. the disadvantage with aperture mode is that it can select too slow a shutter speed. The advantage of manual with EC is that you can set the aperture and shutter and let the ISO float and dial in EC which is brilliant.

The disadvantage with shutter speed is that it can select too wide an aperture. the disadvantage with aperture mode is that it can select too slow a shutter speed. The advantage of manual with EC is that you can set the aperture and shutter and let the ISO float and dial in EC which is brilliant.

Correct, until i moved from Nikon i only ever used manual with auto iso and exposure compensation as you know that option is not open to me with the G80,for wild life shutter speed is the most imprtant most of the time,ime happy to shoot the 100-400 wide open and the distance to most wild life gives me enough DOF, the reports are the new GX9 will give manual with auto iso and exposure compensation but for me the camera is too small with the 100-400, i have just added a grip to the G80 to give me more camera bulk,its the weight i needed to keep down not the size.
Giving serious thought to the G9 as my next camera.

For me using the camera for social photography the distance between me and the subject will be much reduced so when the camera selects f1.8 my DoF could be insufficient to get both eyes sharp. Manual with EC is an advantage in these situations for me.

I'll probably take a long hard look at the GX9, despite the EVF :D

Last edited:
Correct, until i moved from Nikon i only ever used manual with auto iso and exposure compensation as you know that option is not open to me with the G80,for wild life shutter speed is the most imprtant most of the time,ime happy to shoot the 100-400 wide open and the distance to most wild life gives me enough DOF, the reports are the new GX9 will give manual with auto iso and exposure compensation but for me the camera is too small with the 100-400, i have just added a grip to the G80 to give me more camera bulk,its the weight i needed to keep down not the size.
Giving serious thought to the G9 as my next camera.
How do you find the grip?
Which one did you get?

How do you find the grip?
Which one did you get?

I bought the Panasonic which i thought was expensive but it did come with a battery, i then found the eBay copies and at the time wex had a S/H one in.
I like it a lot mind you at the moment its switched off to kill the buttons on it, you can still use the grip battery first with it switched off,i must try to get used to the grip buttons for vertical shots,its the first grip i have had since my film days.

Evening all. Not been on the site for years, but had been plugging away with my GF1 quite happily. Finally retired it a couple of weeks ago and replaced it with a GX80 (like a GF1 with a viewfinder and a spirit level innit!?). Dead pleased with it and, like the GF1 before it, it should be the perfect hill walking companion. Here's one from Snowdonia's Aran ridge yesterday, with the trusty 14mm f2.5 stuck to the front.
28161733_10208864376525741_8458416580963437809_o.jpg

Ah that's the one I watched Alan, glad you found it, I couldn't jog my memory...

After ranting about the evf I'm thinking of buying a GX9 :D Life is short and if what I've waited for all these years is a MFT camera with auto ISO and exposure comp I suppose I'll have to put up with a relatively poor evf... I'd also like full time DoF preview in all modes but I haven't spotted anything about that. I assume that it works in manual like it does with my current cameras so if and when I want it I'll have to do as I do now, switch to manual.

After ranting about the evf I'm thinking of buying a GX9 :D Life is short and if what I've waited for all these years is a MFT camera with auto ISO and exposure comp I suppose I'll have to put up with a relatively poor evf... I'd also like full time DoF preview in all modes but I haven't spotted anything about that. I assume that it works in manual like it does with my current cameras so if and when I want it I'll have to do as I do now, switch to manual.

I agree it's all to easy to hung up on the little things, I have done it myself and often wonder am I just over thinking it! I do need a smaller/lighter camera for when I only need a walk around, The gx9 is on my list, I just need to see how much I can raise by moving on some bits. I am hoping for some kind of good deal at the photography show in March.

Back