"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

My 100-300 mk1 is heading back to MPB for replacement on Monday. The manual focus ring on it is unusable, not just a 'bit stiff' but completely stiff, when you do manage to rotate it you get the lens jerking all over the place, not good for macro - which is the only reason I need MF on it. @mpb.com wouldn't allow me to exchange for credit or refund, they say under warranty they can only offer a replacement, which is BS - if they'd allowed me to send it back for store credit I would have waited for them to get another MKII in stock. Oh well, the replacement better be in full working order, or we'll be to-and-fro for a while until I'm satisfied.
Don't the distance selling regulations apply to used goods?

Don't the distance selling regulations apply to used goods?

Since they sell the used goods with a warranty, yes the same regulations apply. The only exceptions are the following:

Exceptions to Consumer Rights to Cancel
There are certain "allowable" exceptions to the consumer's statutory right to cancel. These are:

• Goods that are "tailor made" for the consumer (cannot be resold)
  • Perishable goods (cannot be resold)
  • Media that can be copied (eg CD, DVD) cannot be cancelled if the manufacturer's seals are broken
  • Newspapers/magazines, gaming and lottery services
  • Services that have already begun (before the end of the statutory 7 working days cancellation period)
  • Financial goods whose prices fluctuate on a daily basis (eg stocks/shares)
PENALTIES AND GOVERNANCE
The penalty for non-conformance is up to EUR3000. The body overseeing the regulations is the National Consumer Agency of Ireland.

I'm fine with a replacement, it is the lens I wanted after all, but I should have been allowed the choice. I let them know the lens had issues the moment it arrived here, and they refunded me £30, but this only covered their mistake of sending me one in lesser condition than advertised. I said I would try the lens for a bit and see that it was ok, well, since I have tried it recently for macro [with a Raynox attached] I found that the manual focus ring is not usable, it is extremely stiff. I feel that because of the initial late delivery [took over a week from date of purchase] - the complaint I made about the condition/cleanliness of the lens, and then updating them on the fact that the lens is useless for manual focus, I should be offered the choice of either store credit to the original value, or a full refund. MPB tell me the only right I have is to a like-for-like replacement

Last edited:
My 100-300 mk1 is heading back to MPB for replacement on Monday. The manual focus ring on it is unusable, not just a 'bit stiff' but completely stiff, when you do manage to rotate it you get the lens jerking all over the place, not good for macro - which is the only reason I need MF on it. @mpb.com wouldn't allow me to exchange for credit or refund, they say under warranty they can only offer a replacement, which is BS - if they'd allowed me to send it back for store credit I would have waited for them to get another MKII in stock. Oh well, the replacement better be in full working order, or we'll be to-and-fro for a while until I'm satisfied.

My copy of this lens is the opposite experience. The focus ring is smooth and well weighted, manual focus would not present any problems at all. The zoom action is quite poor by comparison, noticably stiff at each end of the zoom range, not ideal but I can live with it and hope it might loosen up with more use. My 14-140mm lens now has a zoom action that is too loose, the lens zoom will creep when the camera is pointed down and to a lesser extent, when pointed up. Considering the price of both lenses, that's disappointing and something I've not experienced on my Olympus zooms.

My copy of this lens is the opposite experience. The focus ring is smooth and well weighted, manual focus would not present any problems at all. The zoom action is quite poor by comparison, noticably stiff at each end of the zoom range, not ideal but I can live with it and hope it might loosen up with more use. My 14-140mm lens now has a zoom action that is too loose, the lens zoom will creep when the camera is pointed down and to a lesser extent, when pointed up. Considering the price of both lenses, that's disappointing and something I've not experienced on my Olympus zooms.

The zoom ring on mine is 'ok', it's not perfect, it'll jerk a little half-way if you zoom from 100 to 300, certainly wouldn't be ideal for video. I could live with the MF being a 'little' stiffer than usual, but honestly, on this copy it is useless. It feels like something might actually break if you try to force it to turn too much. It's a shame, because besides this I am enjoying the lens, hopefully the replacement they send will be better. Come end of Spring I will want to use it a lot for macro - it is insane with the Raynox 250, magnification is actually too much at 300mm, but is great between 100 - 200. I do focus using the old to-and-fro method but I want to able to fine tune with the MF ring also.

I’m sure under consumer rights that if you buy a secondhand item that is faulty that you can demand a full refund providing it’s within 30 days of purchase. They can’t make their own rules if it’s consumer law. I’d certainly pursue it further and quote this as they may be trying it on.

Just taken delivery of the Oly 75-300 for my GX80

Hi Julian , did you consider the Panasonic 100-300 ? What was the deciding factor in favour of the Oly , love the Redpoll shot btw.

I’m sure under consumer rights that if you buy a secondhand item that is faulty that you can demand a full refund providing it’s within 30 days of purchase. They can’t make their own rules if it’s consumer law. I’d certainly pursue it further and quote this as they may be trying it on.

In my response email to their offer of a replacement, I pasted a couple of paragraphs on consumer law. I stated that the replacement better be satisfactory because consumer law over rules their own TOS if I'm not satisfied. I really don't get why they wouldn't let me return it for credit, that would mean I'd be buying from them still.

Hi Julian , did you consider the Panasonic 100-300 ? What was the deciding factor in favour of the Oly , love the Redpoll shot btw.

Hi. There were about 150 deciding factors £££ :) From what could make out, there's little to choose between them so went for the cheapest.

Last edited:
Reactions: BJP
Is anyone using the 4k photo mode at the moment? Just looking to see a few sample shots if possible of moving subjects and the quality of the selected images from this mode. Just wondering if the quality is ok for normal printing sizes. Thanks in advance if anyone can post some examples.

Is anyone using the 4k photo mode at the moment? Just looking to see a few sample shots if possible of moving subjects and the quality of the selected images from this mode. Just wondering if the quality is ok for normal printing sizes. Thanks in advance if anyone can post some examples.
I've not tried it yet, but have been wondering the same
Must dig out the manual...

I've not tried it yet, but have been wondering the same
Must dig out the manual...

My one and only play, i keep thinking i must use it for something.

http://cameraswithoutmirrors.com/threads/stills-from-4k-video.1138/

Hi. There were about 150 deciding factors £££ :) From what could make out, there's little to choose between them so went for the cheapest.

The MK1 goes for about the same as the Oly used. I was tempted by the Olympus as Dxo claim it is sharper, and though it is a half stop or so slower the Panasonic needs stopping down at the long end anyway. Both will give similar end results.

Another thing going for the Olympus is better stabilization, ironically, than panasonic's own earlier model. The camera's IBIS is better than the older len's OIS by at least a stop, and with the 100-300 mk1 you cannot use IBIS, only the lens OIS or nothing. With the mkII you get the use of both, and I bet a firmware update would fix it so you can at least use the camera IBIS with the mk1, but they'll never do this. It would only take away from the mkII

Last edited:
Bought a G3 and a 14-42mm from MPB and had a play over the weekend.
Have never really settled with a digital camera before, but very happy with the G3 and can see myself going full in with m4/3. Still need to get my head around colour again though (and how to edit it in Lightoom), have been shooting B&W film for a while now.

Really like how the RAWs convert to B&W in the meantime

P1110019.jpg P1110057.jpg P1110065.jpg

I've owned a G7 for a couple of years but never got around to registering it.

Updating my profile I've just discovered that the label on the bottom has not been completed with a serial number on the lower right hand side.

Also all my other bodies have the wording Model No. before "DMC G**" but this not on the G7 label

Is there a way to use the menu to find a serial No.?

Or do I have a dodgy camera?

I've owned a G7 for a couple of years but never got around to registering it.

Updating my profile I've just discovered that the label on the bottom has not been completed with a serial number on the lower right hand side.

Also all my other bodies have the wording Model No. before "DMC G**" but this not on the G7 label

Is there a way to use the menu to find a serial No.?

Or do I have a dodgy camera?

I registered my G80 using the WE code just underneath the 'Made in China' base of the camera. That's completely missing on yours? Do you still have the original box? it'll be on there some place too, or some suggest that it can sometimes be in under the battery

My replacement 100-300 arrived today, and it is much better condition than the one originally sent. It's boxed, has the original pouch and documents, which all look new, there's not a mark on the lens or hood and most importantly the focus ring is smooth!! Result I'd say, much happier. Reckon they got mixed up and sent out a 'well used' in the first place, or maybe hoped I wouldn't complain. Either way I definitely now have a much newer model with much better re-sale value.

What are panasonic like for repairs. Thier website is a shambles IMO.

I need a repair to my 8-18 mm lens as my tripod fell over in some terrible weather at Wasdale

H-E08018 1 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

I paid for the replacement for this a week ago (last Tues night) still no new lens.
Great service or what?

No communication from them at all the product regsitration for this connects to nothing.

I did look up the repair website (seperate company)and they say this
Performance
been in 1 days, inc. 0 days waiting parts 1 days waiting est
Repair Info
spare parts on order
Estimate details
replacement lens required damaged

I registered my G80 using the WE code just underneath the 'Made in China' base of the camera. That's completely missing on yours? Do you still have the original box? it'll be on there some place too, or some suggest that it can sometimes be in under the battery

My replacement 100-300 arrived today, and it is much better condition than the one originally sent. It's boxed, has the original pouch and documents, which all look new, there's not a mark on the lens or hood and most importantly the focus ring is smooth!! Result I'd say, much happier. Reckon they got mixed up and sent out a 'well used' in the first place, or maybe hoped I wouldn't complain. Either way I definitely now have a much newer model with much better re-sale value.

Glad you’ve got sorted Keith :)

Simon.

I paid for the replacement for this a week ago (last Tues night) still no new lens.
Great service or what?

No communication from them at all the product regsitration for this connects to nothing.

I did look up the repair website (seperate company)and they say this
Performance
been in 1 days, inc. 0 days waiting parts 1 days waiting est
Repair Info
spare parts on order
Estimate details
replacement lens required damaged

Not good Alf. Hope this gets sorted for you quickly.

Simon.

Great set Keith. I’d say that was about broken in!

Simon.

I don't know if it's the placebo effect of the lens being in much better condition, but it feels nippier when focusing and the image also seem a tad sharper. It is possible the first copy had focus issues. The light is also getting better and hanging around a bit more toward the evening, so that helps too. These were shot through a not-exactly-spotless kitchen windows, which will be getting a good scrub today :D

A nice set of really good sharp images, a good advert for the lens.
I got a nice surprise this morning, my wife has ordered me a mkii version of this lens as an early anniversary present. Really looking forward to getting it next week.

Very nice indeed! I may upgrade at some point, mk1 is fine atm, haven't really brought it out for a proper wild tester, but plan to some time this week. I have a couple of bits and bobs to sell on soon, and if I got what I paid back on this one I'd then upgrade to the mkII, will see how it goes. The 2 main reasons would be the weather sealing - even on a nice warm Spring day it can p*** down at any moment here in the Irish midlands - and the better stabilization. Better AF would be nice too, but the WR and use of better IBIS are main reasons I'd upgrade.

Last edited:
Wonderful series Keith, some cracking photos with that new lens which seems to be working really well.

Wonderful series Keith, some cracking photos with that new lens which seems to be working really well.

Cheers :) definitely much happier shooter with the replacement, the previous one had me doubting so much, It would take 5-6 attempts to get a good clean shot each time if I zoomed at all, as the zoom was a bit janky and would throw you off focus - the MF was pretty much unusable and it had dust inside the front element - looks to me like they have it back up for sale and marked down to 'well used' £60 less than what I paid for it - and they have a note on it saying there is noticeable resistance on the focus ring .... noticeable!? how about unusable for most circumstances? I wouldn't advise anyone to buy that one. It's the one for £204 without packaging. They also do not mention that the zoom ring rubber is a bit 'squishy' - feels as if it'll soon start to come apart from the lens body.

After some advice please. I’ve started a thread for this too, but thought I would also ask here.

Despite using a weather resistant camera and lens (G9 + Oly 40-150mm f2.8) with a rain cover, I ended up with some condensation within the EVF of my camera after an hour or so of shooting yesterday in moderate rain. Back at my car, this cleared just sitting on the front seat (no heater on) while I got out of my waterproofs etc.

Since getting home, the camera has been in a (camera) bag with a couple of those silica desiccant pouches (battery + cards still in it) in a warm room. There’s absolutely no sign of any condensation remaining.

Anything else I should be doing? How long do I leave it before using again in anger? Should I be worried?

Cheers,

Simon.

This shouldn't happen with a G9! This happened to me years back with a D90, that camera is not weather sealed in any way and I was shooting a marathon for charity . It p***ed rain all day, there was no way of avoiding it getting soaked, the lens I had was not weather resistant either, a tamron 17-50 2.8, the original non VC (I think newer versions might have wr)

Anyway, I took my chances and ended up with water leaking into the vf, killing the electrics in there - though an ovf if course, it was just the digital info display that took the hit. The sensor also suffered water marking, and needed a number of cleans to remove. I ended up selling it as lightly damaged and lost a pile on it at the time.

A G9 however is weather resistant, and I would use that warranty now before it has a chance to give you any grief! Water should never get in there, not from rain alone .

This shouldn't happen with a G9! This happened to me years back with a D90, that camera is not weather sealed in any way and I was shooting a marathon for charity . It p***ed rain all day, there was no way of avoiding it getting soaked, the lens I had was not weather resistant either, a tamron 17-50 2.8, the original non VC (I think newer versions might have wr)

Anyway, I took my chances and ended up with water leaking into the vf, killing the electrics in there - though an ovf if course, it was just the digital info display that took the hit. The sensor also suffered water marking, and needed a number of cleans to remove. I ended up selling it as lightly damaged and lost a pile on it at the time.

A G9 however is weather resistant, and I would use that warranty now before it has a chance to give you any grief! Water should never get in there, not from rain alone .

I’m 100% sure that no rain got in there. This is condensation. I’m sure it was down to the weather, and the amount of humidity / dew point. In all reality, I probably should’ve done a better job of equalising the temperature of the camera to its surroundings before taking it out of my bag.

Simon.

I’m 100% sure that no rain got in there. This is condensation. I’m sure it was down to the weather, and the amount of humidity / dew point. In all reality, I probably should’ve done a better job of equalising the temperature of the camera to its surroundings before taking it out of my bag.

Simon.

If it's just condensation it might be just fine. I sent a lens to MPB a while back, they claimed there was moisture inside, I had them send it back. When it returned, the package itself was like ice, let alone the lens, and I clicked that it was probably condensation coming off the cold lorry to warm warehouse. I didn't open it right away, let it come to room temp, and when I then opened it I found zero traces of moisture in there, even looking right in close through the lens with a light. I did same as you J.I.C, put it into a pouch in the camera bag surrounded by silica gel packs, I sold it soon after and the buyer also gave it a thorough inspection, no moisture no hassles. Hope yours turns out ok

What are panasonic like for repairs. Thier website is a shambles IMO.

I need a repair to my 8-18 mm lens as my tripod fell over in some terrible weather at Wasdale

H-E08018 1 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

How fast is that?
Thats to replace a lens,

We are pleased to confirm that your CAMERA is ready for despatch
A printed repair report and receipt will be returned with your CAMERA

================================================== =======================

Was In 13 Days, Inc. 12 Days Waiting Parts 1 Days Waiting Est

Arrived at DK Horley : 23/03/18

Estimate report provided : 22/03/18
Estimate Reply Received : 23/03/18

Spare Parts Ordered : 23/03/18
Spare Parts Received : 04/04/18