"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Oh, I did get some bug/spider macro using it too - they were extremely scarce this week, bugs in general, kind of eerie to go to your usual spots and find no life. Bar these 2 there was naff all happening in small creature world

Orb Weaver by K G, on Flickr

P1120738 by K G, on Flickr

Just some flowers, the first two were taken with my GX9 and the third was taken with my GX80, both using a film era Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro.

1-GX9-1.jpg

This one was taken at ISO 5,000...

1-GX9-2.jpg

1-gx80-1.jpg

Last edited:
Just a heads up Guys....

Panasonic are currently selling the 12-60mm f2.8-4 for £699 against WEX selling it at £879. WEX won’t price match either.

Last edited:
I'm always wary of Chinese warehouse sites, purely for the customs risk. Here in Ireland customs are like vultures when they get a sniff of anything remotely pricey from the Orient. And with my luck, though many people manage to get away with it, my package would be targeted, it's happened me twice in the past. Also I have zero patience and don't like waiting weeks for gear. I'd pay the bit extra to buy from the UK. But, it's great to see prices fall like this.

In the end I decided against the 12-60 F2.8-4 and instead went for the Pana Leica 45mm F2.8 Macro and the Gx80. I love the Pen-F to bits but the menu system is driving me nuts and Panasonic’s is so intuitive, so may end up moving it on for someone else to enjoy. I like the combo of G9 and Gx80, dual image stabilisation and both have 6k and 4K photo respectively.

Last edited:
I'm always wary of Chinese warehouse sites, purely for the customs risk. Here in Ireland customs are like vultures when they get a sniff of anything remotely pricey from the Orient. And with my luck, though many people manage to get away with it, my package would be targeted, it's happened me twice in the past. Also I have zero patience and don't like waiting weeks for gear. I'd pay the bit extra to buy from the UK. But, it's great to see prices fall like this.
E-infinity use DPD and deliver from a UK warehouse. They guarantee no additional customs duties etc.
Delivery took about a week.
I'd definitely use them again if the saving was worthwhile.

In the end I decided against the 12-60 F2.8-4 and instead went for the Pana Leica 45mm F2.8 Macro and the Gx9. I love the Pen-F to bits but the menu system is driving me nuts and Panasonic’s is so intuitive, so may end up moving it on for someone else to enjoy. I like the combo of G9 and Gx9, both have 20mp and dual image stabilisation and both have 6k and 4K photo respectively.

Nice lens also, won't be quite as nippy as newer lenses but will be tack sharp and you have the macro option too.

E-infinity use DPD and deliver from a UK warehouse. They guarantee no additional customs duties etc.
Delivery took about a week.
I'd definitely use them again if the saving was worthwhile.

I might give them a try some time, for something not so expensive, as a test drive

Nice lens also, won't be quite as nippy as newer lenses but will be tack sharp and you have the macro option too.

I might give them a try some time, for something not so expensive, as a test drive

I have noticed there’s a company advertising stuff on. E .bay that allegedly ships from Southern Ireland Keith ,obviously to get round e.u rules ,I’ll try to find a link for you got a feeling it’s actually part of e.infinity to

In the end I decided against the 12-60 F2.8-4 and instead went for the Pana Leica 45mm F2.8 Macro and the Gx80. I love the Pen-F to bits but the menu system is driving me nuts and Panasonic’s is so intuitive, so may end up moving it on for someone else to enjoy. I like the combo of G9 and Gx80, dual image stabilisation and both have 6k and 4K photo respectively.

I think that GX80 is very good value for money and to be honest I can't see any real difference in image quality between the latest Panasonic 16mp sensor and the 20mp one. I do wish they'd drop the field sequential EVF and fit a better one though or maybe it's the optics Panasonic put in front of the EVF. Whatever it is I think it could definitely be better.

I think that GX80 is very good value for money and to be honest I can't see any real difference in image quality between the latest Panasonic 16mp sensor and the 20mp one. I do wish they'd drop the field sequential EVF and fit a better one though or maybe it's the optics Panasonic put in front of the EVF. Whatever it is I think it could definitely be better.
is that where the slight halo effect comes from Alan?

What halo effect? In the EVF? Dunno about a halo. Some see a rainbow tearing when panning but I don't tend to pan or see a rainbow.

My issue with these field sequential EVF's is that they don't seem anywhere near as good as the ones fitted to Panasonics mini SLR style cameras. Fiddling with the diopter is little help either and with both of my cameras, GX80 and GX9, I can't get the EVF to look sharp all over the EVF so all I can do is go for the best setting and live with it. It is IMO a right royal PITA and shouldn't be the case with cameras costing this much today.

What halo effect? In the EVF? Dunno about a halo. Some see a rainbow tearing when panning but I don't tend to pan or see a rainbow.

My issue with these field sequential EVF's is that they don't seem anywhere near as good as the ones fitted to Panasonics mini SLR style cameras. Fiddling with the diopter is little help either and with both of my cameras, GX80 and GX9, I can't get the EVF to look sharp all over the EVF so all I can do is go for the best setting and live with it. It is IMO a right royal PITA and shouldn't be the case with cameras costing this much today.

I have a GX7 (field sequential EVF) and a GX8 (OLED panel EVF) the oled panel is far superior to the gx7 panel.
Yes the GX80 & GX9 have the inferior panel and the single biggest reason I did not buy a GX9. I can only assume fitting the lower ‘spec’ panel to the GX9 was a cost cutting exercise ? misguided in my view.

Yes, Panasonics top “mini SLR” cameras use the OLED panel.

Last edited:
I have a GX7 (field sequential EVF) and a GX8 (OLED panel EVF) the oled panel is far superior to the gx7 panel.
Yes the GX80 & GX9 have the inferior panel and the single biggest reason I did not buy a GX9. I can only assume fitting the lower ‘spec’ panel to the GX9 was a cost cutting exercise ? misguided in my view.

Yes, Panasonics top “mini SLR” cameras use the OLED panel.

I read somewhere that despite people whinging on the internet Panasonics own customer surveys say that most people aren't bothered by the field sequential EVF. I think I also read that it's smaller (and cheaper) and that fitting a bigger (and better) one would make the GX80 etc bigger. Frankly I wouldn't care about another mm or so in any direction and I'd love a GX9 or there abouts sized camera with a really nice EVF. If it could be a bit smaller than the GX8 all the better for me as I prefer the slightly smaller cameras.

Just found out my 15mm should arrive before I leave this evening, Phew! Thanks to the DPD customer service guy bumping it up - had emailed to request an earlier delivery or I'd be gone 4 days and have to leave it behind with neighbours.

Sold the 100-300 yesterday, a guy came to "inspect" it before committing to buy, took him 5 seconds to decide, the images I had posted of it weren't lying, lens was minty. He had a GX7 with him to try it out, first time I've actually seen or held one, it's chunkier than I thought for some reason. Very nice little camera, would be a great side cam

I have a question for all, anyone else have the Pana Leica 45mm f2.8 Macro?

Just unboxed it and there is a very distinctive rattle, did anyone else experience this. I read one review that mentioned a small rattle... I will attached it to my camera when I get in tonight and check the focusing...

Hi all, cant make my mind up what I want so a couple of questions if someone could help. I'm looking at the DC-G9 for a safari next month to compliment my Canon 5Ds and Canon lenses. Has anyone used a convertor for the DC-9 for using Canon lenses and does anyone have any experience please and recommendation. I'm really only going to use the camera for a safari and don't really want to buy the 100-400 as I have the equivalent.
Appreciate any help or directions please.

Hi all, cant make my mind up what I want so a couple of questions if someone could help. I'm looking at the DC-G9 for a safari next month to compliment my Canon 5Ds and Canon lenses. Has anyone used a convertor for the DC-9 for using Canon lenses and does anyone have any experience please and recommendation. I'm really only going to use the camera for a safari and don't really want to buy the 100-400 as I have the equivalent.
Appreciate any help or directions please.

I have a mint, as new Panasonic G9 for sale in the classifieds. Sorry I can't help on the converter issue.

Will this little gem change my mind? The next week will tell, little beauty though, really nice looking lens

PL 15mm by K G, on Flickr

Little side view from the phone:

G80PL15.jpg

Last edited:
I have a question for all, anyone else have the Pana Leica 45mm f2.8 Macro?

Just unboxed it and there is a very distinctive rattle, did anyone else experience this. I read one review that mentioned a small rattle... I will attached it to my camera when I get in tonight and check the focusing...
Does it have IS?
If it does then its normal.

Hi Robert, yes it does have IS..... that may explain it. Thanks.

If you don’t like it Keith, may consider a swap for my 12-40 f2.8 Pro lens you’ve been after for a while....

Been out yesterday and today with my new GX80 and 12-32, first real use and its not bad at all, in fact pretty good.
EVF could be bigger and sharper, but that's nitpicking, ibis is excellent and definitely helps with my less than steady hands.
Going to just take the Pana Leica 15mm and 24mm out with me tomorrow to see how it goes.
Not used to just primes, got an Olympus 45mm too, but might leave that at home this time.

If I stick with it for my light travel kit which seems very likely I will probably have a look at the Pen F.
Better evf and extra 4mp, think the ibis might be slightly better too, picked one up and it felt good.

Being honest still prefer the photos from my Fuji X-Pro2 and 10-24mm, but that's quite a bit bigger and heavier.
Will be keeping both systems, seems like the ideal combination and that way I won't have regrets later on

Last edited:
If you don’t like it Keith, may consider a swap for my 12-40 f2.8 Pro lens you’ve been after for a while....

Very tempting that, will get back to you when I return home. that was indeed a lens I was after

Last edited:
Looking for a shoulder or sling bag to carry my gear in when I'm not using my backpack. I'm after something for use in urban areas, or when out with the family that gives me quick and easy access to gear without having to take the bag off to access my gear. It would need to carry a single m4/3 body (ideally able to fit with the grip, but not a deal breaker), a PL 12-60, PL8-18 and Oly 40-150mm Pro as a full load out. I have been look at the Think Tank Speed Freak or the Mindshift Photocross 13, but am very interested to hear what others are using and more importantly, their user experiences.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Simon.

I use a tamrac bag , there are various models available ,that will suit . Or seek out one of the older jessops bags ,best bet is do a search on e.bay for used camera bags most of the film era camera bags are suitable as the lenses were generally smaller back then . So generally good for m4/3 lenses

I use a tamrac bag , there are various models available ,that will suit . Or seek out one of the older jessops bags ,best bet is do a search on e.bay for used camera bags most of the film era camera bags are suitable as the lenses were generally smaller back then . So generally good for m4/3 lenses

Which Tamrac one are you using Jeff? I’m not an eBay user, but to be honest I’d much prefer to buy new rather than trust a couple of thousand pounds worth of gear to a used bag whose history I don’t know certainly without being able to inspect it in person.

Simon.

We’ll.. Initially I’m not convinced. First test out was for the local peregrines; I got to grips with the set up very quickly, with it being a nigh on clone of the Panasonic FZ1000 I owned for a good while; it’s a solid bit of kit and the 100-400 fees great.: but.. not convinced with results yet! Even though I’m wielding nearly 800mm does not seem massively closedr than my canon 100-400 on m6; I love the viewfinder and speed and pure ergonomics; results however, not at all convinced with yet. Not sure if the saved weight with the lens (not a massive difference in comparison to the canon 100-400) is worth it for the results; pretty sure the cropped ones of the M6 and 100-400 are far superior.. I’ll give it another week of playing but I’m 50-50 on sending it back! I’ve not been wowed, shall we say! Couple of pics attached; 4K photo one and the other a cropped raw file

IMG_0031.JPG

Back