"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

I have been tempted to get a range finder style body the Pen-F really appeals to me and a handful of nice primes to go with it.

Thought about the Pen F, but seemed very overpriced compared to the Panasonic rangefinder style range.

GX80 - Every time I look through the EVF, my finger or nose touches the lcd screen and messes with the focus point. Is there any way to lock this so that it doesn't happen?

Been using it to shoot footy and it's really annoying now :mad:

Turn the touchscreen off, its what i've done and yes I agree it is annoying

Thanks I did wonder if there was a way to do it without turning the whole touchscreen off though. Done (y)

Don't think there is another way, can't say I used the touchscreen much anyway though

Thanks I did wonder if there was a way to do it without turning the whole touchscreen off though. Done (y)
I'm not sure about the GX80, but on my G80 you just have to turn off 'Touch AF' under the touch screen settings. That leaves the touch screen working but stops it changing the focus point. I've done this on all the Panasonic cameras I've owned for as long as I can remember, so I'm sure it will be possible on the GX80

I'm not sure about the GX80, but on my G80 you just have to turn off 'Touch AF' under the touch screen settings. That leaves the touch screen working but stops it changing the focus point. I've done this on all the Panasonic cameras I've owned for as long as I can remember, so I'm sure it will be possible on the GX80

Thank you, I am very new to the Panasonic range and should have looked a bit more carefully at the menus
@wezza13 just in case you didn't look at this thread again

Received the extended eyecup for my GX9 yesterday, hoping it will stop some of the sideways glare when using the evf
https://www.ukdigital.co.uk/panasonic-dmw-ec5gu-eyecup-lumix-gx9.html
Should add excellent service from this company, have used them on and off since 2008

Always a problem with these small viewfinders, have the same problem on my Fuji rangefinder style cameras.
At least Panasonic have designed something that should hopefully help, we shall see (or maybe not )

Thank you.

I did have Touch AF set to off but it still moved whenever I had my eye up to the EVF. I've just turned off the tab underneath that says "Touch Pad AF" and that seems to have done the trick.

Thanks again (y)

Last edited:
Saw that other day, lol @ Jordan's 'video' part @6:29 :D

I disagree with the G1 shutter being very loud... if he thinks that he can't have used a Canon 20D. That camera shutter sounded like an anvil being thrown into a tin bath.

DPR GX9 review...

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dc-gx9

"Viewfinder and exposure compensation dial are prone to being bumped out of place"

What? Is he joking? The EC dial on mine is so stiff it's unusable with the camera to my eye, other than that I've never had a camera with an EC dial that couldn't be accidentally knocked and if the GX9 one was useable I don't think it'd be at any more risk than any other so I don't really see his point.

Overall it gets a 84% Silver score.

Last edited:
DPR GX9 review...

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dc-gx9

"Viewfinder and exposure compensation dial are prone to being bumped out of place"

What? Is he joking? The EC dial on mine is so stiff it's unusable with the camera to my eye, other than that I've never had a camera with an EC dial that couldn't be accidentally knocked and if the GX9 one was useable I don't think it'd be at any more risk than any other so I don't really see his point.

Overall it gets a 84% Silver score.

Its fairly stiff on mine too, but do find I can use it albeit not as easily as the one on my X-Pro2
Suppose by its very nature any control that is readily available can be moved accidentally, the function button on the front of the X-T1 was a nuisance to me

Its fairly stiff on mine too, but do find I can use it albeit not as easily as the one on my X-Pro2
Suppose by its very nature any control that is readily available can be moved accidentally, the function button on the front of the X-T1 was a nuisance to me

I find mine is so stiff that using it with the camera to my eye causes too much of a jerk.

Anyway, I think they make too much of the accidental move issue, as you say any control could be moved accidentally... but I suppose they have to complain about something. A little consistency would be nice though and if they're going to criticise one camera for this maybe they should criticise them all unless they have a lock then they can criticise the camera for having controls that are too difficult to move.

I find mine is so stiff that using it with the camera to my eye causes too much of a jerk.

Anyway, I think they make too much of the accidental move issue, as you say any control could be moved accidentally... but I suppose they have to complain about something. A little consistency would be nice though and if they're going to criticise one camera for this maybe they should criticise them all unless they have a lock then they can criticise the camera for having controls that are too difficult to move.

The iso control on the X-T1 had a lock, much rather the odd accidental move than a fiddly locking button.

Do wish Panasonic would include a port for a simple wired remote release, not a lover of smartphone Wi-Fi remotes as the only option apart from the timer

On a more positive note, the extended eyecup works a treat, really made a difference to the indifferent evf

Last edited:
Jessops have a very good offer on the GX9 at the moment inc 12-32 & 35-100....

Really tempted but I no one has one in stock for me to try and I'm worried I wouldnt like the EVF...

Jessops have a very good offer on the GX9 at the moment inc 12-32 & 35-100....

Really tempted but I no one has one in stock for me to try and I'm worried I wouldnt like the EVF...

If you can find a GX7 or GX80 have a look at one as they have the same evf.

Some people see a rainbow effect whilst panning, I don't see that. What I see is an evf that never really looks sharp and I can't adjust it so that all of the in view data looks sharp. I don't know if this is the evf or some crappy plastic optic that Panasonic put in front of it.

I've never been a fan of this evf and in fact if I think about it or sit and look at it I detest it but the fact is that when I'm out and about I forget that I hate it and just get on and use it and it is despite its crappiness useable.

If you can find a GX7 or GX80 have a look at one as they have the same evf.

Some people see a rainbow effect whilst panning, I don't see that. What I see is an evf that never really looks sharp and I can't adjust it so that all of the in view data looks sharp. I don't know if this is the evf or some crappy plastic optic that Panasonic put in front of it.

I've never been a fan of this evf and in fact if I think about it or sit and look at it I detest it but the fact is that when I'm out and about I forget that I hate it and just get on and use it and it is despite its crappiness useable.

It isn't great and you do wonder why they couldn't have put a better unit in.
Got used to it now and works well enough for framing purposes, takes a bit of fine adjustment to find its optimum point.
Much improved since I fitted the extended eyecup, really helps to stop any outside light influences.

Get past the mediocre evf and you have a brilliant little camera, really impressed with so many aspects of it and most importantly image quality.
Just last night I was messing with the Bluetooth, you can use it independently of wi-fi to give quick access to a remote shutter release via phone or tablet.

Two main cons for me are evf and battery life, but you can charge whilst transporting it in a bag via a power bank.
Pros are numerous, iq, ease of use,bluetooth, tilting evf (not for me, but others like it) build quality, built in flash and the list goes on

With the current cashback deal you can't go wrong, if you like rangefinder style cameras that is.

Thanks - what about the 16:9 aspect ratio ?

In what respect?
If you mean the evf, it displays 4:3 with two thin black bars down each side.
Don't notice unless you specifically try to see them

Last edited:
a couple of planes , today at the local airport planes returning from Rhyl air show , our ATC got the Blenheim to give our group a private fly past as he wasn't landing .
whoosh by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

That’s only available on the om1 mk ii and the g9 isn’t it mike if not enlighten us ?

I don't have these features, but best of luck with it. Well, I have the 4K shoot mode but have never used it.
oh yes you do Keith ,just been playing with it in the 4k menu ,pretty impressive to say the least , still got to get my head round whether its better to shoot in 4k or 4k burst stop/start which are l/r programable or go for 4k pre burst with is video file and I,m not yet sure how to extract a still image from that .we live and learn

I will peruse the manual in a bit mike cheers , theres still so much to learn on these beasts
cheers mike now my bloody heads bouncing around the room . need a chat sent you my number nearly there just need a couple of bits sorted to get it right

oh yes you do Keith ,just been playing with it in the 4k menu ,pretty impressive to say the least , still got to get my head round whether its better to shoot in 4k or 4k burst stop/start which are l/r programable or go for 4k pre burst with is video file and I,m not yet sure how to extract a still image from that .we live and learn

I did try the 4K burst a little when i got the camera first, always meant to get back to it. It is better than simply shooting 4K and extracting stills from, as you set it for photography, ignoring video rules, so you will be at way higher shutter speeds. Recording 4K video you're going to be in around the 1/60th - 1/120th sec mark or thing start to get odd looking. I don't think that's what you meant, but J.I.C :)

I'll have to wait on my camera to return, they'd had it a while now, think they are scratching their heads and don't know what to do with it ... I'm not loving the G7, it's a fine camera, it does the job, but once you're used to the G80 it seems a bit tacky, light and flimsy and I detest the sound of the shutter, it's louder than some dslr! Also no IBIS and the SD card shares the battery slot, I really hate that. Also I'm on a much older laptop atm so I'm not as keane to process images, though I have been shooting. Hopefully getting my main laptop back next week. I will join that group and keep an eye on what rest of you are doing with these features :)

Back