"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Just brought a Samyang fisheye from the classifieds, been contemplating one for a while.

I saw that, if this month hadn't been so woefully expensive I might have been tempted, as I've never actually owned a fish-eye, seems like they would be fun.

I got word today, finally, that they are replacing my G80 with a new one. About frikkin time! There's no way a camera should be in for servicing or repairs twice in the first 7mths. That has put a downer on my experience with the camera. Now I have to decide whether I want to stick with it or not. I have my eye on other cameras, not because I want away from M43, or even just because of the issues with the G80. I do love many things about this system, I just like to switch things up now and then. Every couple years the urge takes me.

If I am to stick, I quite fancy the 45-175 zoom, it's so neat and compact for the range, and has internal zoom which is ideal for macro when coupled with a Raynox. Just check out the excellent macro images here: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/some-raynox-msn-202-examples.684201/#post-8248900 Taken by @GardenersHelper - really excellent work.

I saw that, if this month hadn't been so woefully expensive I might have been tempted, as I've never actually owned a fish-eye, seems like they would be fun.

I got word today, finally, that they are replacing my G80 with a new one. About frikkin time! There's no way a camera should be in for servicing or repairs twice in the first 7mths. That has put a downer on my experience with the camera. Now I have to decide whether I want to stick with it or not. I have my eye on other cameras, not because I want away from M43, or even just because of the issues with the G80. I do love many things about this system, I just like to switch things up now and then. Every couple years the urge takes me.

If I am to stick, I quite fancy the 45-175 zoom, it's so neat and compact for the range, and has internal zoom which is ideal for macro when coupled with a Raynox. Just check out the excellent macro images here: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/some-raynox-msn-202-examples.684201/#post-8248900 Taken by @GardenersHelper - really excellent work.

I went to cut my grass after buying the fisheye and the lawnmower has now died!! So glad it's payday on Friday!!

That's bad news about the G80 but least with a brand new one now might be the time to switch as the shutter count will be only a handful of shots.

I was a bit annoyed mine took two weeks for a grip to be replaced. Was contemplating a move elsewhere but cost put me off. Could soon be spending an extra £500 to not get much benefit. Isn't much my G80 won't do that I ask of it.

@ian-83 You'll enjoy the fisheye, it is really good fun to use and can be defished to double up as an ultra wide as well. There are some really good examples with it in the sample galleries on mu-43.com

I went to cut my grass after buying the fisheye and the lawnmower has now died!! So glad it's payday on Friday!!

That's bad news about the G80 but least with a brand new one now might be the time to switch as the shutter count will be only a handful of shots.

I was a bit annoyed mine took two weeks for a grip to be replaced. Was contemplating a move elsewhere but cost put me off. Could soon be spending an extra £500 to not get much benefit. Isn't much my G80 won't do that I ask of it.

That's what I'm thinking, almost every used camera sale these days will have this question asked. It would be great to say less than a couple hundred [I will use it until I sell or decide not to either way]

I had to pay up €200 repairs on my laptop today, it had liquid damage through the whole innards, the guy showed me pictures of the damage and it was shocking! The monitor is still on the blink, that would have brought the cost to more like 300, but since I've replaced it in the past, I can do it again over the next few weeks, can buy replacement LCD for it for €75 so long as you're comfortable DIY switching it out. Atm I have it hooked up to a small lcd tv. The repair centre completely replaced the power switch, the keyboard [which is nice as the old one was missing a few keys] cleaned everything inside - the fans, the boards etc ... it is running like new. If it wasn't such a good one I'd have simply asked him to retreive my images to an external, but it's a 17" i7 with 2x 500GB drives and can take up to 16GB RAM, currently has 12GB fitted. Main objective now is to get all of my images from it. Been uploading all day, really need to get smart about backing up on the go.

There's not much the G80 cannot do that I would need either, it wouldn't be a change so much for better, but just for change I guess. I have never owned any Canon gear and that itch has always been there. Thinking on an 80D and adding on one of their small mirrorless offerings for Christmas. There's a bunch of Canon lenses I'd like to try. And I figure, if I decide I don't like it, I'll sell on and come back, buy a used G80 :)

@ian-83 You'll enjoy the fisheye, it is really good fun to use and can be defished to double up as an ultra wide as well. There are some really good examples with it in the sample galleries on mu-43.com

Have been spending some time on mu-43.com looking at the lens threads at other people's images to get an idea of what I wanted next.
Only other lens thats on my radar is a 100-300mk2.

Bought the wife a 100-300 last week for the Olympus , and then Sod’s law on fri the lawnmower went tits up , got a brand new flymo in the shed but we both prefer petrol as we got 3 large gardens ,so went out and bought a new petrol one fri afternoon , yep been a expensive month for everyone by the look of it .

Keith I have already told you changing to canon will give no advantage at all ,the cameras are fine and your choice of bodies albeit slower than what you have are o.k , but your going to find that if you want decent results the lenses are going to be prohibitive . Probably 3 to 4 times more expensive than mft ones for equal quality ,

Have been spending some time on mu-43.com looking at the lens threads at other people's images to get an idea of what I wanted next.
Only other lens thats on my radar is a 100-300mk2.

I have the 100-300 mkII but not used it half as much as I thought I would. Probably need to force myself to use it more.

Bought the wife a 100-300 last week for the Olympus , and then Sod’s law on fri the lawnmower went tits up , got a brand new flymo in the shed but we both prefer petrol as we got 3 large gardens ,so went out and bought a new petrol one fri afternoon , yep been a expensive month for everyone by the look of it .

Keith I have already told you changing to canon will give no advantage at all ,the cameras are fine and your choice of bodies albeit slower than what you have are o.k , but your going to find that if you want decent results the lenses are going to be prohibitive . Probably 3 to 4 times more expensive than mft ones for equal quality ,

Oh I know, but I might take the chance while the G80 is still worth something. WHo knows what will be announced at Photokina. It would be more a temp move if I do it, as I'd like to go FF ML next year some time. End of the day, it's just gear to me, no matter the make or model. And they all have something decent about them, just depends on your needs. I thought I would use 4K more, barely touched it, thought I would benefit hugely from IBIS, and I do love it, but since using the G7 without it, I find I am still pretty handy at stable shots using slower SS without any aid.

There's also a trick to this, the Canon 80D is fetching more used locally here, than I can get it for new from the UK. It is a win-win scenario, they sell easier than M43 cameras too.

There's not much the G80 cannot do that I would need either, it wouldn't be a change so much for better, but just for change I guess. I have never owned any Canon gear and that itch has always been there. Thinking on an 80D and adding on one of their small mirrorless offerings for Christmas. There's a bunch of Canon lenses I'd like to try. And I figure, if I decide I don't like it, I'll sell on and come back, buy a used G80 :)

I know you only live once, life is short, you're a long time dead and all that and if you want something you just want it but I still think it's worth stepping back a little and trying to be a bit objective if you can... and if you can I do wonder what going Canon will bring you. Back when I had Canon DSLR's they were cutting edge (300D, 20D, 5D) but these days they're a bit behind the very best and of the lenses I looked at the Sigmas were often the better choice (and the ones I usually ended up buying) and I bet that's still true today. So what are we left with? DSLR's that aren't SOTA and lenses that are often a solid b+ (I got that from a blogger/reviewer :D) and again often behind the best in class.

Oh I know, but I might take the chance while the G80 is still worth something. WHo knows what will be announced at Photokina. It would be more a temp move if I do it, as I'd like to go FF ML next year some time. End of the day, it's just gear to me, no matter the make or model. And they all have something decent about them, just depends on your needs. I thought I would use 4K more, barely touched it, thought I would benefit hugely from IBIS, and I do love it, but since using the G7 without it, I find I am still pretty handy at stable shots using slower SS without any aid.

And yet you still said...

I have never owned any Canon gear and that itch has always been there.

But...

... the Canon 80D is fetching more used locally here, than I can get it for new from the UK. It is a win-win scenario, they sell easier than M43 cameras too.

So, it looks like there is at least one good reason to buy a Canon then :D

Last edited:
Please don't become one of those multi-quoters! Arghhhh! :D They do my head in. As does taking posts as gospel. It is STILL only gear even if I switch to Canon, I can already forsee me selling it on after some times before I even buy it FFS :D And it'll be another brand marked off the list. I have no loyalty to any brand, if I did I'd be still shooting Nikon and none of this would matter. I could try it out for a bit, make money, and return to M43 if nothing else took my fancy in between. One could easily argue that it would be silly not to at least try.

I think what makes this much easier for me than most is I tend to stick to only having a couple lenses at any one time, it's easier to make a switch than if I had a bunch of them tying me to a system

Give me a G80 [well, one that won't fall apart slowly like mine did!] with a FF sensor and a decent AF adapter to use Canon or Nikon lenses and I think I'd be set for a long time. No one system has it all atm, not for me at least

Last edited:
Only trying to answer your points dear boy and point out the contradictions in your thinking and thus help you to make a better decision... not to bother with Canon :D

But I don't think you see it as only gear as if you did you'd see the folly in having a Canon itch.

Last edited:
Only trying to answer your points dear boy and point out the contradictions in your thinking and thus help you to make a better decision... not to bother with Canon :D

But I don't think you see it as only gear as if you did you'd see the folly in having a Canon itch.

There's no contradiction though. I would like to try Canon at least once, doesn't mean brand really matters, it's their lens line up more than the name. I like the look of the 10-18, the 50 STM and the 55-250, all cheap and cheerful and I like what I've seen produced by them on Flickr and the like. Again, it is just gear, I can just as easily stick with M43, the fact I haven't even decided tells you that. I know you're just answering, it's just the broken up quotes I hate, reminds me of the know-it-alls on here, y'know the ones .... they think if they break down every post you make by line it makes them seem right. Wrong! :D I don't see you as anything like them, don't worry ;)

And not to break this away from a Panasonic thread, but I'm also looking at the likes of the M50, the older Sonys like the A7II an despite the hate it gets, the 6DmkII intrigues me also, but it's 500 or so more than an 80D, and from what Ive seen in comparisons, there's not that much between them in terms of end result, the 80 actually has better DR at lower ISO. Something like the M50 should feel really familiar after the G80 only I could get to try those EF-S lenses without having to buy an adapter 4 times the price with half the performance [Viltrox being the option there]

I think i'll wait till after Photokina though, there's announcements expected all next week.

Another angle on this is ... why not look elsewhere? The actual lenses I'd love to have for the G80 I can't afford

Last edited:
I am finding the G80 to be a good all round camera for me, so far it covers all basis I need it too.
I had a look at the Canon M50 and M5 both are very similar to the G80 pros and cons for each.
I have a look every so often but then I know changing my camera won't make my pictures any better just need to learn to use what I have better.

All i will say is i liked the 45-175,

P1070085 by electric.mike, on Flickr

P1060993 by electric.mike, on Flickr

P1060972 by electric.mike, on Flickr

I am finding the G80 to be a good all round camera for me, so far it covers all basis I need it too.
I had a look at the Canon M50 and M5 both are very similar to the G80 pros and cons for each.
I have a look every so often but then I know changing my camera won't make my pictures any better just need to learn to use what I have better.

I've a;ways known this of course, which is why 3yrs ago I switched from full frame Nikon to Fuji APSC with ease, my end results will be much the same. There's nothing wrong whatsoever with the G80, I more want to try out other lenses, more affordable ones at that too. The lenses I want for the G80 are all well above my budget atm. Just don't ever feel you're locked to a system or brand, that takes all the fun away from photography. If you fancy a change anytime, it's only you can decide to do it, no matter what anyone says. It should always be fun, soon as it gets a little stale don't be afraid to look around.

Follow your gut instincts Keith . The lenses you have chosen are all budget the best is the 55-250 STM . I suppose a lot depends what you want to use it for , the 80D is a fine body but is lacking on the one major refinement I.e a joystick . You are young enough and hopefully fit enough to handle the weight differences . And it seems like you have reached the mental self arguing stage pre changeover , .btw h.dew have the 80D for just over £600 with 3 year warranty

Follow your gut instincts Keith . The lenses you have chosen are all budget the best is the 55-250 STM . I suppose a lot depends what you want to use it for , the 80D is a fine body but is lacking on the one major refinement I.e a joystick . You are young enough and hopefully fit enough to handle the weight differences . And it seems like you have reached the mental self arguing stage pre changeover , .btw h.dew have the 80D for just over £600 with 3 year warranty

Hdew is where I'm looking , they work out about €700 and I'm seeing them selling used for 1000 over here. Budget lenses that perform well are what I love :)

As for weight saving, the 80D + 55-250 is only 100g more than the G80 with the 100-300, for a bit of perspective. The other lenses are lighter still, and I could single hand hold the G80 with the 100-300 no problem. It isn't near the same kind of reach when you add in the crop factors, but I think that lens would be sufficient for my garden birdies and casual wildlife, APSC allows that little extra cropping where needed. If I happen to stick with, I fancy the 45-175mm Pany, often see them go on MPB for cheap enough. That lens is reportedly just as good if not a little sharper at 175 as the 100-300 at the same FL.

My camera is due home by 4pm today, it'll be nice to have back after using the G7 for a couple of weeks. I'm not decided fully either way just yet. I know that the issues I had with my G80 are kind of influencing, so I will think about it a bit longer.

Last edited:
Hopefully you just had a Friday version of the g.80 , thinking of getting a battery grip for mine . Time will tell really waiting for a price drop on the om1-mkii though

Hopefully you just had a Friday version of the g.80 , thinking of getting a battery grip for mine . Time will tell really waiting for a price drop on the om1-mkii though

I had the grip for mine at one point, was sorry I sold it on. It was a genuine Panasonic, got it on here at a great price. With a tele on there it's really nicely balanced. Get a third party one, they look to be built just as good: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vertical-B...1535536335&sr=8-3&keywords=Panasonic+g80+grip

Last edited:
all I need now it 40 quid :popcorn:

I have been a member on this great website for a fair few years and comment occasionally when I feel I have something to ask about or offer an opinion on.

Well I now offer an opinion.... I have been reading for week’s about the continual debate going backwards and forwards regarding wanting this and that camera or lens, trying this and that system.

When did photography become more about what you have in your hand and not about what you see with your eyes? When I first got into photography it was because I enjoyed taking pictures, then it became about wanting to learn how to take better pictures. To me, it is still about that point....How can I take a better picture? Composition, use of light, years of accumulated knowledge. We all enjoy this fine hobby and some even make a living out of it.

Whilst threads on here are all about opinion and self belief, we tend to forgot that we are all here because we enjoy taking pictures, what one likes another may not.... Do they have to all be taken using the correct guidelines, no.
We take pictures and capture moments because we enjoy doing so. Is it nice when a fellow Tog comments on a picture you've taken, whether offering constructive or other criticism, of course it is. We learn through others knowledge and understanding.

Photography should always be enjoyable, whichever genre we like to follow. I Personally would like to see the m4/3 users showcase pictures and explain the reasoning behind taking them, this way we all learn. Modern advancements in equipment help but it should always be about the picture.....

I have been a member on this great website for a fair few years and comment occasionally when I feel I have something to ask about or offer an opinion on.

Well I now offer an opinion.... I have been reading for week’s about the continual debate going backwards and forwards regarding wanting this and that camera or lens, trying this and that system.

When did photography become more about what you have in your hand and not about what you see with your eyes? When I first got into photography it was because I enjoyed taking pictures, then it became about wanting to learn how to take better pictures. To me, it is still about that point....How can I take a better picture? Composition, use of light, years of accumulated knowledge. We all enjoy this fine hobby and some even make a living out of it.

Whilst threads on here are all about opinion and self belief, we tend to forgot that we are all here because we enjoy taking pictures, what one likes another may not.... Do they have to all be taken using the correct guidelines, no.
We take pictures and capture moments because we enjoy doing so. Is it nice when a fellow Tog comments on a picture you've taken, whether offering constructive or other criticism, of course it is. We learn through others knowledge and understanding.

Photography should always be enjoyable, whichever genre we like to follow. I Personally would like to see the m4/3 users showcase pictures and explain the reasoning behind taking them, this way we all learn. Modern advancements in equipment help but it should always be about the picture.....

Whilst understanding what your saying i have as much interest in gear as i do taking pictures, the two things together make the whole for me.

It's the gear section ... there's plenty of image specific areas on here too where nobody talks about gear. Even so, we post plenty os images in here too, all you have to do is ask for details if interested. There's been tonnes more images in this very thread than many of the Canikon threads combined for a long while now.

Last edited:
On a Nikon (cough) forum i use next to each thread is an icon that if clicked it shows only images not posts,whyhave i posted this it has nothing to do with the conversation :confused:

You only have to go back a page here and scroll to see loads of images. Don't get why the whole gear talk thing crept in here, we talked about gear for about 5 minutes

On a Nikon (cough) forum i use next to each thread is an icon that if clicked it shows only images not posts,whyhave i posted this it has nothing to do with the conversation :confused:

It's a good idea :D

I've posted quite a few pictures but as this is a gear thread they're normally gear related because I've bought a new camera or lens. As I haven't bought much for a while I haven't posted many pictures... Nice pictures for their own sake are nice too and I do sometimes post stuff just because I like it :D but generally I view this as a gear thread but I have no objection if others post pictures just because they're nice and in fact I quite like it :D

So, for no other reason than I was looking at this earlier and I like it. I just like the shapes and colours :D

GX80 and Panasonic 45-150mm... 88mm, f5.3, 1/800, ISO 200...

P1020204-C.jpg

PS.
I find the pictures I'm unlikely to take interesting, like the bird and plane pictures we've had a lot of recently. As I never photograph these things it's interesting to see what others are up to :D

Last edited:
Got my brand spanky new G80 earlier, feels so nice to have a new camera yet again :) I'm half afraid to touch the screen because it'll leave fingerprints :D

Quick query for people with a G80/G85/ when the screen is folded in (bit facing outwards) does it have some “wobble”? Especially noticeable when using it to move the AF point about? I’ll try and upload a pic later/video but would be good to hear. Mine does! :(

Quick query for people with a G80/G85/ when the screen is folded in (bit facing outwards) does it have some “wobble”? Especially noticeable when using it to move the AF point about? I’ll try and upload a pic later/video but would be good to hear. Mine does! :(

Sounds about right, my first one had a fair bit of wiggle, as does the brand new replacement one I got sent just today. It's more obvious with the LCD facing out, turn it inward and it's a bit stiffer. I reckon it's on purpose, for when you are flipping the LCD in and out, it allows that bit of wiggle room so you don't snap it off! :eek: I wouldn't worry, unless it is extremely loose?

I use the touch screen a lot, I don't really find it moves about much when I move AF points, but I find my finger 'glides' across the screen. Is your screen smudgey? or do you have greasey skin? Maybe clean the screen with a Q-Tip and some very mild soapy water, small circular motions all over, then give it a good wipe down with a lens cloth, should rid it of any stubborn grease that might be making it stickier than usual

Last edited:
Don’t think I have ever used mine with the screen facing out ?

How do you work the menus when needed? I only turn mine inward when I'm done shooting for the day. Check yours, turn the LCD facing out, see if it wiggles a little just to confirm, I think it's the norm You don't even need to touch the screen to check, just tip the bottom of it upward

Last edited:
Tilt it out to format card or change a setting ,sorry I meant out in the field every thing is pre set ,any changes can be done via buttons and control dial

Tilt it out to format card or change a setting ,sorry I meant out in the field every thing is pre set ,any changes can be done via buttons and control dial

The screen is one of the things I love about the G80, maybe because it's the first touch screen I've owned? But I love how bright and clear it is, and the touch function is flawless, can skip through the menus when needed in no time. Got the new one today and took me less than 5 minutes to get it set to the same as the previous one. I love that, shows I have it pretty well nailed. I don't flip the screen out very often, as in to the side, the odd time for macro at awkward angles is all, but whenever I'm shooting it will be facing out. I like to preview images on the go too, don't care what anyone says about chimping

Also, here's how it's going to go down with my pondering - my gear will go up for sale, for a while - if it sells at asking, I will switch for a while to see how it goes, if I get nothing but bums trying to low ball me I'll stick with. I'm happy either way.

Last edited:

I'm exactly the same - 99% of the time, my LCD is folded away with the screen facing inwards. I have various setups stored in the customs settings menus and the G9 has a lot of physical buttons, so find I hardly ever need to access the cameras menus in daily use. If I do, or if I want to review images that I've just taken, I use the EVF :D. Where I do use the LCD screen is when shooting landscapes, although I do tend to do the bulk of my composing using the EVF. The screen is great though if the camera ends up at an awkward height of angle.

Cheers,

Simon.

Last edited:
Oops just bought a 500mm mirror lens , that will give me a extra 200 mm focal length albeit manual focus ,useful for the b.o.p perched way out on the marsh in winter , got it at a good price though

Interested to see a few pictures Jeff... always stayed away from mirror lens in the past.

Interested to see a few pictures Jeff... always stayed away from mirror lens in the past.
Never ever had one before Andy so rather looking forward to it . . Fortunately manual focus lenses seem to perform better on MFT than on a DSLR

Back