"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Yeah I'd like to see some shots with the mirror lens too. Which one did you get? The Tamron is supposed to be decent.

Out clipping the hedge today and came across this little dude, good excuse to start using the new G80, used an old Canon 50mm f/3.5. The Ladybird is actually moving, he never stopped, was circling this leaf before flying off. Took about 10 shots, only 2 were usable, but that's macro for you

Ladybird by K G, on Flickr

Mrs WW seems to have a very high tolerance for creepy crawlies but for whatever reason seems very wary of ladybirds.

Mrs WW seems to have a very high tolerance for creepy crawlies but for whatever reason seems very wary of ladybirds.

They are one of very bugs I would allow crawl on me, I think the colour makes them seem friendlier maybe. I'm not wary of bugs really but I wouldn't allow a large spider to get too close. I often have to do the glass and paper removal job, our 10yr old freaks out when she sees one, our 14yr old on the other hand just picks them up and chucks them out by hand :D

I hate creepy-crawlies but like you I'll handle a ladybird. Mrs WW being a Buddhist tends to catch things and release them in the garden but I'm wary of spiders as we get some large ones and you read every year about people having extreme reactions to bites and although it may be a rarity I've repeatedly warned her not to pick them up.

They don't seem to have spiders like ours in Thailand, maybe the geckos eat them :D

But they do have snakes! :D

I put out a spider just this evening, it was casually walking across the bathroom floor, huge thing, that's the first of them. We get them more as Autumn kicks in and the temperatures begin to drop. Only ever see small ones during the summer. These big hairy ones must lay low within the walls for summer. I'll find the odd mushed, dead one here and there too, the cats like to play with them, then pound them to death :/ I never kill them personally, same when I'm shooting macro, I don't even disturb the bugs, just get my shot and go. Have been tempted the odd time to save a bug from a web, but nature is gonna nature ... Spiders do us a big favor in general, getting rid of the nasty bugs that eat your flowers and plants

Seeing some online chatter about an impending m43 announcement.

Ooooo could it be the GH6 with organic 8k sensor here’s hoping!!!

It seems full frame mirrorless is where the main players are heading now, with Nikon's announcement and Canon not far behind. The rumour mill also suggests that Olympus is working on something similar with an announcement in early 2019. I'm looking forward to see what Panasonic come up with but I doubt it would move me away from m43, especially with GH5 and G9 prices indicating that anything full frame would be the wrong side of £2k for just a body. I wonder if m43 will become the poor relation once they start churning out the larger sensor bodies and lenses.

Don’t worry, M43 isn’t going anywhere. I think Panny need to go FF as want to release a camera that is capable of recording 8K which means it will need at least 34mp which can’t really be done a m43 sensor. I’d imagine they will run both formats in parallel. Question is does Olympus join them? Starting to get abit crowded in the FF market.

Interesting indeed. It won't be cheap, nor will the new lenses for it, so I'm probably out anyway, but it'd certainly be interesting if they were going to share a mount with Olympus once again. There was rumours a little while back about Olympus creating a "Super high end camera" - could it be their FF to coincide with Pany's?

I've said before, if there was such a camera as a G80 body with a FF sensor it would be almost the perfect camera for me. But most likely it'll be more like the G9 in size and ergo's, which would still be neat for a FF body.

Last edited:
Maybe we'll see a nice compact RF style FF camera... but please Panasonic ditch that field sequential EVF. They wouldn't use that in a RF style FF body... would they...

If they do a FF body I hope they include full time DoF preview in all modes not just manual, oh yeah, and don't make the EC dial too stiff :D

Last edited:
started off a new section in photos for pleasure photos from any any MFT camera any lens . to try and keep the discussion boards free , lets show the doubters what we can do

One I forgot from the other day, we still have wild Fuchia growing out back, opposite the side entrance where the sun streams through in the evening

Pana-Leica 15mm f/1.7 @ f/2.5, 1/160, ISO 250 cropped square, not much else
Fall Fuchia by K G, on Flickr

my G1's body is slowly turning to mush...and i havent found a way to clean it all off
i now feel prompted to go up a few rungs and have ordered a used G5
i am keeping the kit zoom i have 14-45 and guess it will fit...
question
is the lens FULLY COMPATIBLE with the G5's electronics?
my main area of concern is the manual focussing...the kit lens does have a mf ring...a tiny one and the changing from af to mf is the little dial on top of the G1
is there a similar function somewhere on the G5 body?

i havent got the G5 yet..should be here in a few days...and i think i should be able to figure out the rest from a download manual

its just the kit lens didnt come with the G6...only the G1 and i assume panasonic have changed some aspects of their lenses since 2008

cheers
geof

ps if anyone can advise on how to get this soft soft sticky stuff off my G1 body...please advise...i then might be able to get some ££ to cover the cost of the G6
or a extra lens..

Last edited:

I can't say for certain as I've not used that specific combo - however I've used a number of different lenses across a number of Panasonic and Olympus bodies and had zero issues.
You should be fine.
If there isn't a dedicated AF/MF button the camera you should be able to assign it to one of the function buttons.

I can't say for certain as I've not used that specific combo - however I've used a number of different lenses across a number of Panasonic and Olympus bodies and had zero issues.
You should be fine.
If there isn't a dedicated AF/MF button the camera you should be able to assign it to one of the function buttons.

@Ste_S
many thanks...i am 100% all will be well...no make that 87%..:D
good call...its my first digital with a menu on the screen...looking forward to it
cheers and thanks again
Geof

my G1's body is slowly turning to mush...and i havent found a way to clean it all off
question
my main area of concern is the manual focussing...the kit lens does have a mf ring...a tiny one and the changing from af to mf is the little dial on top of the G1

i havent got the G5 yet..should be here in a few days...and i think i should be able to figure out the rest from a download manual

its just the kit lens didnt come with the G6...only the G1 and i assume panasonic have changed some aspects of their lenses since 2008

cheers
geof

ps if anyone can advise on how to get this soft soft sticky stuff off my G1 body...please advise...i then might be able to get some ££ to cover the cost of the G6
or a extra lens..

Not sure what to suggest on the peeling, I know that something like WD40 is great for removing sticker marks, so could do the job, but I'd be wary of spraying it all over a camera. If you rubbed it only onto the required area maybe, try a very small patch first.

All M43 lenses work with ALL M43 bodies. No worries on that front.

question

I have that same lens and it works fine with all my m4/3 bodies, which are mainly Olympus but also the Panasonic GH4. It's a great lens for the money and it should work fine absolutely fine on the G5.

question

cheers
geof

or a extra lens..

Manual focus is chosen in the af menu on the camera iirc.

You will love the G5, it's a great little body to use, one I enjoyed very much.

Not sure what to suggest on the peeling, I know that something like WD40 is great for removing sticker marks, so could do the job, but I'd be wary of spraying it all over a camera. If you rubbed it only onto the required area maybe, try a very small patch first.

All M43 lenses work with ALL M43 bodies. No worries on that front.

I have that same lens and it works fine with all my m4/3 bodies, which are mainly Olympus but also the Panasonic GH4. It's a great lens for the money and it should work fine absolutely fine on the G5.

Manual focus is chosen in the af menu on the camera iirc.

You will love the G5, it's a great little body to use, one I enjoyed very much.

colossal thanks to all your answers....my spirits are soaring now as i wait patiently for the delivery...could be tomorrow
ps..i have tried WD40 with some success and also mould remover which i have for the tiles in the bath...that did shift some on the articulated back on the G1 but i knew stuff like that would harm the electronics...better to leave it in working order...all it needs is a lens to take photos
really its a blessing in disguise as i have had the old timer for 7 years and have been pipped taking shots in semi light where the high iso was too noisy
i know the G5 is not the worlds largest sensor but i may now be able to shoot around 400 instead of 100...hand held etc
as for the lens...with some research via panasonic serial numbers i see it was sold at a higher price than the 12-42 kit...so quids in there..it came with the G1 when i bought it on ebay in 2011
i will put the G1 on ebay now with the two batteries, charger and manual for a try to see if anyone can make use of it...i was an engineer and it hurts me to chuck away good engineering despite the softy coating going done..
cheers
geof...and again...many thanks

Last edited:
A day walking in Arkengarthdale & Swaledale with my wife and Sadie our beagle.

These all taken with the GX7 and Lumix 20mm f1.7

i-brZm4KZ-L.jpg

i-Xq2XCMt-L.jpg

i-QwMh43g-L.jpg

i-Px7g2KB-L.jpg

i-frZLXkV-L.jpg

i-fT6VGpL-L.jpg

colossal thanks to all your answers....my spirits are soaring now as i wait patiently for the delivery...could be tomorrow
ps..i have tried WD40 with some success and also mould remover which i have for the tiles in the bath...that did shift some on the articulated back on the G1 but i knew stuff like that would harm the electronics...better to leave it in working order...all it needs is a lens to take photos
really its a blessing in disguise as i have had the old timer for 7 years and have been pipped taking shots in semi light where the high iso was too noisy
i know the G5 is not the worlds largest sensor but i may now be able to shoot around 400 instead of 100...hand held etc
as for the lens...with some research via panasonic serial numbers i see it was sold at a higher price than the 12-42 kit...so quids in there..it came with the G1 when i bought it on ebay in 2011
i will put the G1 on ebay now with the two batteries, charger and manual for a try to see if anyone can make use of it...i was an engineer and it hurts me to chuck away good engineering despite the softy coating going done..
cheers
geof...and again...many thanks

If you still want a go at it, give undiluted citrus degreaser a go, something like Finish Line
Stronger version of the stuff that gets sold to remove sticky label residue, considerably cheaper too.

Roy, looking for a week away beginning of October, can you recommend any places to stay?

Hello all. I have an EM5mkII and a Panasonic 100-400. The EM5 is not known for it's CAF or generally tracking of fast moving subjects, but I was wondering if a G80 might work better with this lens, specifically for Birds in flight. My main issue I found, seemingly at the longer end, the lens \ camera combo struggling to attain focus reliably. I was mainly trying with house martins which are no doubt on the harder end of the spectrum, but also some raptors and gulls. I tried single and multiple focus points, S-AF, C-AF (S-AF was better) but it was just difficult and keeper rate was just very low. I realise an EM1mkii or a G9 would be more suitable, but they are out of reach for now. There's no doubt a better photographer than I could get better results than I am, but assuming the same person behind each camera, would one perform better than the other with this lens? I anecdotally feel the G80 might.

Hello all. I have an EM5mkII and a Panasonic 100-400. The EM5 is not known for it's CAF or generally tracking of fast moving subjects, but I was wondering if a G80 might work better with this lens, specifically for Birds in flight. My main issue I found, seemingly at the longer end, the lens \ camera combo struggling to attain focus reliably. I was mainly trying with house martins which are no doubt on the harder end of the spectrum, but also some raptors and gulls. I tried single and multiple focus points, S-AF, C-AF (S-AF was better) but it was just difficult and keeper rate was just very low. I realise an EM1mkii or a G9 would be more suitable, but they are out of reach for now. There's no doubt a better photographer than I could get better results than I am, but assuming the same person behind each camera, would one perform better than the other with this lens? I anecdotally feel the G80 might.
have a look in photos for pleasure at the MFT THREAD . there is a growing number of b.i.f pics in there . I use a g80 and a 100-400 hand held for b.i.f and have no problems sometimes the olympus omd10-mkii as well the main thing I have found is to shoot in either shutter priority or manual ,with auto i.s.o to keep the shutter speed higher than 1/1000 of a sec . heres one from yesterday g80 and 100-300 outside the front door
lift off by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
A day walking in Arkengarthdale & Swaledale with my wife and Sadie our beagle.

What a great set of PICTURES (As opposed to just photographs). At first I thought you'd processed them too much, but as I looked further, NO the light does get like that up there.
Good to see older often critisised equipment used to great effect.

The G80 will be a perfect match for the 100-400, a few samples

P1020725 by electric.mike, on Flickr

P1020478 by electric.mike, on Flickr

P1100461 by electric.mike, on Flickr

P1100553 by electric.mike, on Flickr

I've very tempted to get myself a smaller second body to compliment my GH4 for when I'm out and about. I think I've narrowed it down to the GX7 or GX80. I'd be keen to hear opinions from anyone who has used both, especially whether the GX80 is worth the extra cash?

I had a bit of a love hate relationship with my GX7.

The good points are that it's a very responsive and fast focusing camera with good manual controls and an IMO useful tilting evf.

The bad points are -
- a mediocre to poor evf but in use I often forget how relatively poor it is.
- shutter shock with some lenses.

The GX80 has the same evf but on the positive side it's just as responsive and it has a different shutter mechanism which is quieter and there don't seem to be any shutter shock issues. It also has the option of letting the camera choose the electronic or mechanical shutter automatically. The downsides are that you lose some manual controls such as the AF/MF switch and you also lose the tilting evf.

Another point is that I think that the GX80 has a maximum mechanical speed of 1/4000 whereas the GX7 goes to 1/8000. For me this doesn't cause any issues as I let the camera select the electronic shutter if a faster speed than 1/4000 is needed, for example when shooting with wide apertures in good light. Anyone shooting things which could lead to rolling shutter effects may have a different view but I have no problems.

Of the two I'd pick the GX80 every time because of the improved shutter even though it loses the tilting evf and manual AF/MF switch of the GX7.

Last edited:
Reactions: CSB
Back