"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Another option is the GX9 as you get the tilting evf and manual controls back whilst keeping the new quiet and shutter shock free shutter but sadly that'll cost more. Looking at the image quality I just can't see any appreciable difference between any of these cameras (GX7, GX80 and GX9) at all. The GX9 does give you more resolution at what seems to be zero hit to image quality so I suppose that makes it better :D but I wouldn't recommend any of these cameras over the others for image quality as they all seem the same to me.

One nice thing is that all of these cameras feel very well made.

Reactions: CSB
Only had the GX80 and GX9, both have sensors minus the low pass filter, is the GX7 the same.?
Also I would imagine the IBIS has improved a bit since the GX7, the two above mentioned have 4 stop and dual is capability with Panasonic ois lenses which pushes it up a little bit more.

I'm a recent newcomer to the m4/3 scene, bought the GX80 to try it out, very impressed so got the GX9 with the excellent cashback offer.
Think its still on, camera is £599 and the rebate of 150 quid is I reckon very generous at what is a 25% discount on a current model

If you still want a go at it, give undiluted citrus degreaser a go, something like Finish Line
Stronger version of the stuff that gets sold to remove sticky label residue, considerably cheaper too.

thanks i will try that ...if i can get it cleaned up its possible with the batteries and manual sans lens i could get some ££ for it

ps....the G5...i wont be taking videos btw...what speed card would work best to load up shots reasonably quickly
cheers
geof

thanks i will try that ...if i can get it cleaned up its possible with the batteries and manual sans lens i could get some ££ for it

ps....the G5...i wont be taking videos btw...what speed card would work best to load up shots reasonably quickly
cheers
geof

Reckon it will work Geof, used it to clean all manner of things, contains no water so should be safe for a camera.

With regard to memory cards I have been using SanDisk Extreme Pro in my Fuji and more recently Panasonic cameras too.
These are the ones, can't get over how cheap memory is these days https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Extreme-SDHC-Memory-Class/dp/B01J5RHBQ4

I've very tempted to get myself a smaller second body to compliment my GH4 for when I'm out and about. I think I've narrowed it down to the GX7 or GX80. I'd be keen to hear opinions from anyone who has used both, especially whether the GX80 is worth the extra cash?

I have a gx7 and a gx8. The gx7 is a lovely little camera. I use mine when I want to travel lightweight, i.e fell walking etc. Fitted with the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 pancake lens it is a small lightweight package capable of excellent image quality. If you wanted a little more convenience then the gx7 with the very good Panasonic 12-32mm is no bigger than with the 20mm.
The evf of the gx7 is certainly not the best (the gx8 is oled and much better) I believe the gx80 and the new gx9 have the same evf as the gx7. Panasonic really should have used the better oled evf in the gx9 ?
I love the articulated evf of the gx7 & gx8, I take many low level shots and this evf is a great help.
I think the sensor development in these m4/3rds cameras ‘peaked’ some time ago. Sure my gx8 has 20m pixels as opposed to 16m on the gx7 but the image quality is essentially the same. Maybe the later models ‘measure’ better in the lab but IRL I doubt you will see any difference.

Reactions: CSB
have a look in photos for pleasure at the MFT THREAD . there is a growing number of b.i.f pics in there . I use a g80 and a 100-400 hand held for b.i.f and have no problems sometimes the olympus omd10-mkii as well the main thing I have found is to shoot in either shutter priority or manual ,with auto i.s.o to keep the shutter speed higher than 1/1000 of a sec . heres one from yesterday g80 and 100-300 outside the front door

The G80 will be a perfect match for the 100-400, a few samples

Thanks both. I can get some with the EM5II, but keeper rate is low. I was wondering if the AF would work better using the Panny - I will look at bit further before deciding.

Reckon it will work Geof, used it to clean all manner of things, contains no water so should be safe for a camera.

With regard to memory cards I have been using SanDisk Extreme Pro in my Fuji and more recently Panasonic cameras too.
These are the ones, can't get over how cheap memory is these days https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Extreme-SDHC-Memory-Class/dp/B01J5RHBQ4

thanks...i have just ordered that now as my main card...dont think i will ever fill it up but i do have a 16gb card from the G1 which will do as a backup..
cheers
geof

got the manual from ebay..£5.50 so i am ready to learn what to set to suit my usual method of photography
spot focus, spot exposure and sometimes manual focus... i vary between aperture and speed priority depending...program is a snapshot setting which i keep on until i get the camera out of the bag..just a spare battery to get now...
many thanks for your advice and attention
ps the camera came set at intelligent auto..not sure this might suit me..
does the name herb alpert ring a bell..:)
cheers
geof

Last edited:
thanks...i have just ordered that now as my main card...dont think i will ever fill it up but i do have a 16gb card from the G1 which will do as a backup..
cheers
geof

got the manual from ebay..£5.50 so i am ready to learn what to set to suit my usual method of photography
spot focus, spot exposure and sometimes manual focus... i vary between aperture and speed priority depending...program is a snapshot setting which i keep on until i get the camera out of the bag..just a spare battery to get now...
many thanks for your advice and attention
ps the camera came set at intelligent auto..not sure this might suit me..
does the name herb alpert ring a bell..:)
cheers
geof

I never fill the card either, also have a couple of 8gb ones, often struggle to fill them too, but 32gb seems to be about standard now
Never used iA, mine is usually on A same as I used most of the time on dslr's, soon find what suits you best

It certainly does a ring a bell along with his Tijuana Brass :)

G9 Vs G80, much of a difference?

Nope :) It confirms for me that the G80 tends to over expose a little, if he had pulled back a little on exp comp on it there would be even less difference.

Last edited:
G9 Vs G80, much of a difference?

Nope :) It confirms for me that the G80 tends to over expose a little, if he had pulled back a little on exp comp on it there would be even less difference.
Totally agree there Keith .. all indoor static shots though so any comparison is based on fantasy .the g9 is supposed to be for outdoor users I.e sport and wildlife so this test is worthless at best

Changing subject the one thing I find really weird is if I put my 100-400 on the omd10 mkii the image in the EVF is surprisingly a lot brighter making composition a hell of a lot easier , I initially thought it was a problem with the g80 but it’s exactly the same on my lads camera .. I am seriously thinking of getting another Olympus body probably the omd1 mk1 due to cost , really could do with trying one out first

Totally agree there Keith .. all indoor static shots though so any comparison is based on fantasy .the g9 is supposed to be for outdoor users I.e sport and wildlife so this test is worthless at best

I think this shows that the G9 is better really only in terms of build quality and extra features, you get dual card slots and better IBIS on top of course. But it is not "useless" or I wouldn't have posted it. Not everyone who buys a G9 shots sports cars over and over or wildlife, some buy it for just that, shooting at home, or your every day photography. Shooting RAW with both, the only real difference is the file size. So the message is, be happy with your little G80 if you've pondered on a G9, unless you do really need that extra speed. Not really worth the upgrade.

This is not the first direct comparison I've watched between the 2, that one just happened to be upped yesterday

Last edited:
Jeff & Keith...

12-40 f2.8 Pro lens in classified @Keith.

EM1 MkI in Classifieds @ Jeff.

I never fill the card either, also have a couple of 8gb ones, often struggle to fill them too, but 32gb seems to be about standard now
Never used iA, mine is usually on A same as I used most of the time on dslr's, soon find what suits you best

It certainly does a ring a bell along with his Tijuana Brass :)

yes herb was in my era..
the manual has come and i have been slogging through it to run around the menus and set up as i like it...nearly
the flash pops up when i click it but does not energise...i cant see where to un tick the multi frame setting...there doesnt seem to be a NO on the page for setting it...so i set it on the lowest set provisionally...
with time i will discover other peripheral items outside the unaffected shot taking...filters etc..
can anyone help??
cheers
geof

after hours of googling...G5 flash wont work...i finally got some info...which if had of taken a month i might have found it in the manual...:geek:

its new to me as a dunderheid...that is scottish as i am...an electronic shutter isnt the thing on the front of the body you push when looking through eyepiece...oh no
its a flip out screen viewer function which enables one to touch the screen to activate the shutter...how daft could i get to not realise this...??
so i set electronic shutter to yes...and ges wot...it cancels flash activity...
if you want to use flash you only use the normal shutter release on the body and put no in the menu for electronic shutter....o_Oo_O

next stage is to get the f 1 button to only hold auto exposure and not focus so i can do spot readings for exposure...compose..and then fire the "non electronic shutter" as eye look through the I piece...my normal method
cheers
geof

Last edited:
after hours of googling...G5 flash wont work...i finally got some info...which if had of taken a month i might have found it in the manual...:geek:

its new to me as a dunderheid...that is scottish as i am...an electronic shutter isnt the thing on the front of the body you push when looking through eyepiece...oh no
its a flip out screen viewer function which enables one to touch the screen to activate the shutter...how daft could i get to not realise this...??
so i set electronic shutter to yes...and ges wot...it cancels flash activity...
if you want to use flash you only use the normal shutter release on the body and put no in the menu for electronic shutter....o_Oo_O

geof

I think your getting your shutter TYPE and shutter RELESE WAY a bit confused. Most of these moderen electronic cameras have two types of shutter, a mechanical one a little like an old film cam, and an electronic one. Pros and cons for both.
The normal way for shutter release would be to use the SHUTTER RELEASE BUTTON on the top, front grip. As you have found out if you have TOUCH SCREEN activated, (Not set to off) you might be able to use (If fitted, not on all touch screen cameras), TOUCH SHUTTER ( If thats what Panny call it, sorry not shure). On mine once switched on I can use either release. I only tend to use the shutter button on top, (I'm old......fasioned).
The two are sepperate things. You might not have to have ELECTRONIC SHUTTER selected to use touch release. You WILL have to have TOUCH SCREEN on to use TOUCH RELEASE.

I have had a G6 for two or three years and it always puts a smile on my face using it. Its also one of the most complex things Ive opperated, and i was a pilot. Lean one thing at a time, and when you learn another, play with BOTH and so on. And WRITE IT DOWN, that reinforces the brains learning.

One last thing lernt from helping people use computers, you REALY should try and use the EXACTLY PROPER NOMACULAR (Words). It does make alot of difference when asking for help from a distance cus as you've found; "an electronic shutter isnt the thing on the front of the body you push when looking through eyepiece".

number one tip for the G80/85 numpties on here ( myself included) I have owned and used this camera for over six months now , and its been o.k , but since getting the olympus omd10 I have noticed one thing the EVF on the g80 is rather dim and uninspiring and with the onset of autumn I have been missing shots because of it especially with the 100-400 as I often found targets difficult to see .
I asked mike for help and he suggested putting the problem out on another forum, got a answer within a hour or so , doh there is a adjustment in the spanner menu for monitor brightness/contrast/colour etc I had totally ignored it as I thought was for the rear screen but no it actually changes your EVF as well . you can alter this to make it work and look like a optical viewfinder ,brill bit of info and one I think will transform this camera in our dull winters .

so if your having the same problem with the e.v.f you now know what to do

number one tip for the G80/85 numpties on here ( myself included) I have owned and used this camera for over six months now , and its been o.k , but since getting the olympus omd10 I have noticed one thing the EVF on the g80 is rather dim and uninspiring and with the onset of autumn I have been missing shots because of it especially with the 100-400 as I often found targets difficult to see .
I asked mike for help and he suggested putting the problem out on another forum, got a answer within a hour or so , doh there is a adjustment in the spanner menu for monitor brightness/contrast/colour etc I had totally ignored it as I thought was for the rear screen but no it actually changes your EVF as well . you can alter this to make it work and look like a optical viewfinder ,brill bit of info and one I think will transform this camera in our dull winters .

so if your having the same problem with the e.v.f you now know what to do

Aye, what you change for the LCD changes on the evf screen also, same with what you choose to display. Could have just asked here

tried it out under real time usage today , and still not that impressed .just have to live with it I suppose

I think your getting your shutter TYPE and shutter RELESE WAY a bit confused. Most of these moderen electronic cameras have two types of shutter, a mechanical one a little like an old film cam, and an electronic one. Pros and cons for both.
The normal way for shutter release would be to use the SHUTTER RELEASE BUTTON on the top, front grip. As you have found out if you have TOUCH SCREEN activated, (Not set to off) you might be able to use (If fitted, not on all touch screen cameras), TOUCH SHUTTER ( If thats what Panny call it, sorry not shure). On mine once switched on I can use either release. I only tend to use the shutter button on top, (I'm old......fasioned).
The two are sepperate things. You might not have to have ELECTRONIC SHUTTER selected to use touch release. You WILL have to have TOUCH SCREEN on to use TOUCH RELEASE.

I have had a G6 for two or three years and it always puts a smile on my face using it. Its also one of the most complex things Ive opperated, and i was a pilot. Lean one thing at a time, and when you learn another, play with BOTH and so on. And WRITE IT DOWN, that reinforces the brains learning.

One last thing lernt from helping people use computers, you REALY should try and use the EXACTLY PROPER NOMACULAR (Words). It does make alot of difference when asking for help from a distance cus as you've found; "an electronic shutter isnt the thing on the front of the body you push when looking through eyepiece".
thanks Stumpy

i did eventually find the operational difference between the electronic shutter being on or off and how that affects the flash being off or on

i appreciate your advice on writing down...this is what i am going to do now with every piece of data i eventually find how use

regarding the nomenclature i used...i should have borne in mind it wasnt inducive to clarity for all readers everywhere and that i must change now and thank your for your observations and corrections

you might know your spelling has some mistakes, old chap...where are you located if its abroad
it would be interesting to me to know that as i have travelled quite a bit and may have visited your country
cheers
geof

Last edited:
No Mr Toad, just crap at spelling and typing! WE all live and learn, if we keep an open mind.

@Stumpy
;)
Oh I thought you may have been Scottish as I am..:confused:

Happy to learn and you have helped me.
My next task is how to disengage the burst function.

rotate!

Cheers and thanks again
GEOF

It is the non 'R' version of the lens but for £45 I'm happy now to have a telephoto in my collection. At least if it doesn't get used too much it wasn't a large expense

It is the non 'R' version of the lens but for £45 I'm happy now to have a telephoto in my collection. At least if it doesn't get used too much it wasn't a large expense

The photo you posted is the R version, if not it won't fir M43, it'll be for the older 4/3 mount and you'd need an adapter

Yeah, they have the wrong image on there, you could bring it back. You can get the R M4/3 version prety cheap even new: https://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/olympus-mzuiko-digital-ed-40-150mm-f4-56r-black-2163-p.asp

If you decide to just keep that one, this adapter will help: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fotga-AF-O..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=2076WCB6TWF3DT5GJE7Y

Looking at their returns policy any refunds would go on a gift card which wouldn't be of much use to me, I'll try an adaptor out and see how I get on.

Back