"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Looking at their returns policy any refunds would go on a gift card which wouldn't be of much use to me, I'll try an adaptor out and see how I get on.

If you show proof of their false advertising, as that is a completely different lens in their image, they should refund you. Was it a local CEX? or online? If my local one did that I'd be straight back down to cause murders!

100% is a 4/3 mount, annoying! What's more annoying is how fractionally larger it is, what was Panasonic/Olympus thinking?!

Lens will be going back tomorrow, going to cancel the adaptor I've ordered. I'd rather cough up the little more for the 'R' version, reviews say it's a better lens too.

Providing you have an Olympus camera to provide the anti shack, I think you've made a wise choise.

If you replace this one with the MICRO four thirds version, yes. Some would say better than the Panny version.

100% is a 4/3 mount, annoying! What's more annoying is how fractionally larger it is, what was Panasonic/Olympus thinking?!

The 4/3 mount is what Olympus and Panasonic used for their DSLR bodies before they went full mirrorless in their camera line-up.

4/3 will work fine without adapters on a legacy Olympus/Panasonic body such as the E420 etc.

For any mirrorless Olympus or Panasonic body, you would ideally buy a m4/3 lens. 4/3 lenses can be adapted, but this isn't ideal, as you've discovered.

The 4/3 mount is what Olympus and Panasonic used for their DSLR bodies before they went full mirrorless in their camera line-up.

4/3 will work fine without adapters on a legacy Olympus/Panasonic body such as the E420 etc.

For any mirrorless Olympus or Panasonic body, you would ideally buy a m4/3 lens. 4/3 lenses can be adapted, but this isn't ideal, as you've discovered.

I have tried 4/3 lenses on an EM1 Mk 1 and they worked fine.

I have tried 4/3 lenses on an EM1 Mk 1 and they worked fine.

The EM 1 bodies are about the best of the M43 bunch for adapting old 4/3 lenses as they have phase detection. The Oly 50-200 SWD 2.8 - 3.5 is pretty popular for those bodies.

Update review on the G9:

I have to say, it's making me fancy the upgrade from the G80

Update review on the G9:

I have to say, it's making me fancy the upgrade from the G80

I have the video book marked to watch later, but after 9 months of ownership I can safely say the G9 is probably the best all round camera that I have ever had the pleasure of owning and using.

Simon.

I have the video book marked to watch later, but after 9 months of ownership I can safely say the G9 is probably the best all round camera that I have ever had the pleasure of owning and using.

Simon.

That is pretty much the conclusion of the reviewer, he has his 7 months. I know I would love it, I love the G80 it's just lacking in some areas - I find it a little small for my liking for one, I love a chunky grip on a camera. The dual card slots is also a nice bonus, and the better IBIS and bump in res, all worth the extra perhaps.

That is pretty much the conclusion of the reviewer, he has his 7 months. I know I would love it, I love the G80 it's just lacking in some areas - I find it a little small for my liking for one, I love a chunky grip on a camera. The dual card slots is also a nice bonus, and the better IBIS and bump in res, all worth the extra perhaps.

Don't forget the amazing EVF, high res mode, general speed of operation and AF performance which is the best of any m4/3 camera that I've used to date.

Lens has been returned for a full refund. Now do I really need a telephoto lens :thinking:

I ask myself that all the time, I'll then buy one, use it constantly for a while, then it slowly over time spends more time in the bag. I make best use of them through Autumn/winter when the birds come for food, and there's generally better colours and moods to photograph where a tele can give you that sweet compression. During summer I find them boring to use. The beauty of the cheaper ones is you won't feel you have to use it so much, just whenever you actually need to. It's so light it's not going to weigh you down being in the bag, but handy to have even if only for the odd time. I've thought about getting another one myself, the 40-150, but I also like to adapt older lenses and looking at some 200mm F4 on the bay

Lens has been returned for a full refund. Now do I really need a telephoto lens :thinking:

I find I don't use mine as often as I thought I would. Sometimes I force myself to use a telephoto, other times they come in really handy. Depends what other lenses you have and what you like to photograph.

I find I don't use mine as often as I thought I would. Sometimes I force myself to use a telephoto, other times they come in really handy. Depends what other lenses you have and what you like to photograph.

Very true. I only have a 25mm f1.7 and the kit 12-32mm at the moment.

The 25 1.7 is a little cracker, it was the only lens I had for a while after switching to M43. I just found it a little tight at times indoors, so replaced it with the 15mm 1.7. The 12-32 is also apparently very good for the price, I've never used it

Sounds like a Panasonic 45-150 or similar would compliment those very nicely. It was the first m4/3 telephoto lens I bought and it is very good for the price. Also very compact so no hassle to take out with you. I take mine to weddings for some nice candid portraits.

F11 by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

first of many i hope...the new G5 and the kit zoom i had from the G1
its the 24-45 and i hope may show better results than the G1
but it has to be the lens which produces results
unfortunately my lightroom wont cater for the G5's raw file designation...so i will have to purchase a lightroom which will work for me...i like to use raw in the hope results can be produced and then compressed rather than use fine jpg settings
cheers
geof

unfortunately my lightroom wont cater for the G5's raw file designation...so i will have to purchase a lightroom which will work for me...i like to use raw in the hope results can be produced and then compressed rather than use fine jpg settings
cheers
geof

You could use Adobe DNG converter (which is free) to convert your raw files into DNG files which Lightroom can open. Adobe DNG Converter download HERE

F11 by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

first of many i hope...the new G5 and the kit zoom i had from the G1
its the 24-45 and i hope may show better results than the G1
but it has to be the lens which produces results
cheers
geof

If you don't want to use the dng converter you will need Lightroom 4 or Photoshop Elements 11

If you don't want to use the dng converter you will need Lightroom 4 or Photoshop Elements 11

thanks...i bought the LR3 i have on ebay so i will do the same for the LR 4...may not be able to sell the LR3 back on the ebay circuit...but things have moved on
good advice and grateful for it
cheers
geof

Last edited:
You could use Adobe DNG converter (which is free) to convert your raw files into DNG files which Lightroom can open. Adobe DNG Converter download HERE

my OS is the late great windows XP pro 32bit...i cant see that the DNG can do that..??
let me know if i am wrong
cheers
old fogie IT square!!

ps...just did the download but it ran and installed but wouldnt boot...i dont have the correct Windows version etc
thanks all the same

cheers
geof

Last edited:
Just saw your name,are you Toad of Toad Hall?:LOL:

of course dear man...who else...
i watch the original wind in the willows dvd regularly. ( 1983 with the voices of Richard Pearson, Ian Carmichael, David Jason, Michael Hordern )..all my kids loved it...and they are all pushing 45 years
my old house in penzance was named mole end...not as good as toad hall of course..but it smelled better but there were no stoats or weasels there...
badger and rat are my pals too...

poop poop!!!

:D

Are those lenses both Panasonic?

They are indeed. The Pana-Leica 100-400 is pricey, but it's a phenomenal lens. I do think the price has a lot to do with the Leica name on it though too. The 100-300 is just Panasonic on their own, comes in 2 versions, the older mk1 [which I owned for a while] and the newer mkII - which is more expensive and has weather sealing, and supposedly better AF. The mk1 is a very decent lens for the money though, I'm kind of sorry I sold mine as I still haven't replaced it with anything. You can get them used for anything between £200 - £280

Last edited:
Having had a quick look on eBay they are all pushing £250+. Maybe something to save a little for if it's a worthwhile increase in quality from the 40-150mm?

Having had a quick look on eBay they are all pushing £250+. Maybe something to save a little for if it's a worthwhile increase in quality from the 40-150mm?

I would say yes, that's what I did, went from the 40-150 to the 100-300, I needed the extra reach for birds. I also found I much preferred the colours and contrast from the Pany. It's much better built too. I sold mine for £260, but it was in very good condition, not a scratch. I believe @the black fox got his for just under £200, but he was lucky at that

Last edited:
I’ll keep an eye out. I’m due to move house at the end of the month so need to keep the spending on the low from the wife!

of course dear man...who else...
i watch the original wind in the willows dvd regularly. ( 1983 with the voices of Richard Pearson, Ian Carmichael, David Jason, Michael Hordern )..all my kids loved it...and they are all pushing 45 years
my old house in penzance was named mole end...not as good as toad hall of course..but it smelled better but there were no stoats or weasels there...
badger and rat are my pals too...

poop poop!!!

:D
Brill

I would say yes, that's what I did, went from the 40-150 to the 100-300, I needed the extra reach for birds. I also found I much preferred the colours and contrast from the Pany. It's much better built too. I sold mine for £260, but it was in very good condition, not a scratch. I believe @the black fox got his for just under £200, but he was lucky at that
I’ve always found extra reach useful for birds also :rolleyes::sneaky:

I’ll keep an eye out. I’m due to move house at the end of the month so need to keep the spending on the low from the wife!

Oh I know that one only too well! We moved just 2yr back and it's cost us a small fortune to furnish and decorate the place, we pretty much started over from scratch as we rented for years. This curbed my spends on gear big time, and recently had to replace a few electrical bits, inc the tv which decided to blow for no good reason! and a tumble dryer!! within 2 weeks of one another. Try telling the missus that some camera gear you really 'need' is more important, "sure nobody watches the tv!" and, "I'll hang out the clothes daily, honest!" :D and well, you can imagine how it goes down. I honestly don't know how some guys do it, they can buy all the fanciest gear without a second thought ... they either have extremely understanding partners, they have high end jobs or they were all in a syndicate and won the Euro millions!

I’ve always found extra reach useful for birds also :rolleyes::sneaky:

Heh, sadly extra reach with birds usually costs you too! :D

Wait till your on a pension Keith , I worked for myself for my last 20 years of working and paid myself daily without a care , changing to a monthly income was shattering and still bothers me

I actually used my camera today, not much as it started to piddle down shortly after this. A couple of arachnids tag team on an unfortunate Hoverfly

Pana G80 + Canon FD 50mm 1:2 macro, didn't have the flash with me at the time and didn't get it bang on, but I still like it
Tag Team by K G, on Flickr

Back