"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

It's a pretty serious subject, photography, well most of the time eh ?

'Single sheet jeopardy' :)

i-jnTwXrs-L.jpg

My dad has just traded in an em5 for a G80 and he was asking me about grips, the panasonic is very expensive at £249, is anyone using an independent grip with their G80? If so any recommendations?

Get a third party one, they look identical to me. I had the Panasonic one, only because I got it on here for a great price. Otherwise I'd have gone with something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/DSTE-Multi...r=8-1-spons&keywords=Panasonic+g80+grip&psc=1

2 extra batts, and a grip - which they claim is WR just like the body. Can't go wrong, bar maybe delivery waiting time. All of these third party offerings come from China

Random quick question - if I use the tamrom Canon EF fit 18-50 2.8 di with the viltrox M2 adapter - what is the equivalent. Focal length? I’m struggling with logic and the math here!

As I perceive it (having looked the adaptor up) you multiply by 0.71 and then using on a MFT body x2 to give you the 35mm equivalence.

Which makes you get a focal length FoV of 24 - 71mm

Hope I have understood it right and that helps :)

Random quick question - if I use the tamrom Canon EF fit 18-50 2.8 di with the viltrox M2 adapter - what is the equivalent. Focal length? I’m struggling with logic and the math here!

You get a 12-35 f/2 pretty much, before any equivalents.

Tamron 17-50 2.8 sorry!

May or may not be relevant, but the VR version of this lens is manual focus only when using a Metabones Speedbooster (as listed on their compatibility list), it's possible the same issue of no autofocus might arise with the Viltrox M2.

You get a 12-35 f/2 pretty much, before any equivalents.

Thank you - you’re my all time hero, you always help me out on these threads sir! So, 12-35 equivalent. To 35mm? Need to do some interior house shots and trying to work out if this will be wider than my 12-35 2.8; as o my otpjon is to buy the penny 7-14 (bit that’s extortionate) or by the canon 11-22 EFM for the m50 (around about £200) bit if I can get away with my exiting tamron, that’s money saved all Round!

As I perceive it (having looked the adaptor up) you multiply by 0.71 and then using on a MFT body x2 to give you the 35mm equivalence.

Which makes you get a focal length FoV of 24 - 71mm

Hope I have understood it right and that helps :)

Thank you! That’s a shame so it’s not actually as wide as I hoped!!

Thank you - you’re my all time hero, you always help me out on these threads sir! So, 12-35 equivalent. To 35mm? Need to do some interior house shots and trying to work out if this will be wider than my 12-35 2.8; as o my otpjon is to buy the penny 7-14 (bit that’s extortionate) or by the canon 11-22 EFM for the m50 (around about £200) bit if I can get away with my exiting tamron, that’s money saved all Round!

FF equiv would be 24-70, it won't be any wider than your current 12-35, it'll be the same - just a stop brighter. If you need wider I'm afraid the 11-22 might be your best bet

I've been backsliding on my photography so had a kit rethink , I've sold my GX80 and 12-32 , 35-100 and 20mm , kept my 30mm macro , 100-300 and arrived today 14-140mm , just need a camera to try it out on :D
Ordered a GX9 but it's a Xmas pressie so it will be confiscated when it comes.
The gear I sold was all silver the lenses I've kept and the GX9 are black :)

Few from this week - nothing amazing just edited in camera - once in front of my Mac will edit the raw dikes properly, but for now quick and dirty in camera raw processing! Love this place. Wish I could live here!

Last edited:
Reactions: BJP
I've been backsliding on my photography so had a kit rethink , I've sold my GX80 and 12-32 , 35-100 and 20mm , kept my 30mm macro , 100-300 and arrived today 14-140mm , just need a camera to try it out on :D
Ordered a GX9 but it's a Xmas pressie so it will be confiscated when it comes.
The gear I sold was all silver the lenses I've kept and the GX9 are black :)

Black is the way to go, best for stealth! :D I like the silver Olys, and some of the Fuji cams in silver, but in general - All black!

Reactions: BJP
I've gone well beyond needing anyone to convince me the M43 system is doing just fine, because I see it everywhere. Every other day I'm still coming across people who are switching from dslr to M43, they're not so concerned about what the Northrups or elitist gear heads on forums have to say. They just like small and tidy and it fits their needs. Personally, I just use a certain camera with certain lenses, the sensor is insignificant. It could be a one inch sensor or less and I'll learn to work within it's limits.

I do like David Thorpe though, it was his old videos convinced me enough to give the system a try.

I mostly treat the vids as entertainment. There are a few I like and would possibly trust and David Thorpe is amongst those.

I mostly treat the vids as entertainment. There are a few I like and would possibly trust and David Thorpe is amongst those.

I like that he stays clear of all the format wars nonsense, I like his dry wit too. Some of the reviewers are fine, and you can trust that they're being genuine, but there's an awful lot of shills out there too that mislead people too. Take them all with a grain of salt.

Feeling drawn to M/ 4/3rds again. Not sure if I did wether to go Oly or Panny
Right time prices are dropping steadily either it’s seasonal or new models on the horizon . The latter I think . I still have a hankering for a oly omd1 mk1 or do I hang fire till next year.. personally I do think Olympus are slightly better made and give a better colour rendition but it’s a very close race

Last edited:
The only Oly camera I'd really like to have is the EM1 mkII. I had the Em5 and found it a bit fiddly, just lacks the kind of grip I like. I also hate Oly menus, I know, I know ... many people find them easy enough but I was constantly going round in circles everytime I wanted to change something.

The only Oly camera I'd really like to have is the EM1 mkII. I had the Em5 and found it a bit fiddly, just lacks the kind of grip I like. I also hate Oly menus, I know, I know ... many people find them easy enough but I was constantly going round in circles everytime I wanted to change something.
I am fine with Oly menus. I hate the menus on my Sony RX100 iii they are make no sense at all

I am fine with Oly menus. I hate the menus on my Sony RX100 iii they are make no sense at all

I think for me personally, after coming from Fuji, the Panasonic menus seemed more familiar. I could work around the Oly menu, but it often felt there was a step too many to get to options I wanted. Also, love touch screen and the Pany cams have that implemented extremely well :) The Sony menus do look very out-dated, they look not much better now than when I had the old A200 and that was decade ago!

Last edited:
do you mean the EM1?
Yes that one I put mk1 to differentiate fro: mkii which is way out of my price range at the moment . I was starting to like the Olympus om10 mkii but the wife has grabbed it off me , and if she’s out with me I don’t get a look in

The G80 is currently on sale at Amazon for £475, that's the lowest it's ever been. It is fulfilled by Amazon themselves (not third party) and would be subject to the cashback for this model. However, there is no specific mention on Amazon that this model attracts double cashback of £100 at the moment, even though there is no reason that it wouldn't, having studied the Panasonic terms and conditions. All being well, that's a net cost of £375.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M0TY...de=df0&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B01M0TYTDL

The G80 is currently on sale at Amazon for £475, that's the lowest it's ever been. It is fulfilled by Amazon themselves (not third party) and would be subject to the cashback for this model. However, there is no specific mention on Amazon that this model attracts double cashback of £100 at the moment, even though there is no reason that it wouldn't, having studied the Panasonic terms and conditions. All being well, that's a net cost of £375.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M0TY...de=df0&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B01M0TYTDL

I was going to post about this earlier, the FZ2000 is also on offer and with cashback comes to £500. Both are bargains for anyone looking for a m43 body or bridge camera.

That's insane value! Sucks for anyone who's trying to sell one of course, like I was recently. Change of heart though, sticking with for now. Excellent camera for that kind of money!

I have actually been taking photos recently too! :) Just gotten lazy about uploading. A couple form the ol' G80 + 45-150, moon shot just from earlier tonight - there's been mad moons lately. Blackbird from the other day

November Moon by K G, on Flickr
Blackbird Call by K G, on Flickr

Back