"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

I hadn't realised it was a supermoon.

GX80 and 100-400 at 50% crop

VzGtZOC.jpg

After having some success with the Panny G7 last year, I thought I would try a G80 for this season.
I bought a 2ndhand G80 last September/October, but since I shoot wildlife (mainly close up/macro) I had to wait out the Winter months!!
I did get a couple of butterfly sessions in October (using the G80) but then "mothballed" my camera gear for approx 4 months.

Great to get out with some Butterflies this weekend (within walking distance from my home).

Heres a shot with the G80/ Panny 45-150mm/500D close up filter/lens. Handheld, Jpeg, Auto focus, no cropping to this image. Minimal PP/Editing.
This Peacock butterfly landed on a log pile, but the harsh bright sunlight made for a not so good image! So i used the onboard camera flash, to throw some extra light on the dark, closed wings of the Peacock. I think it came out pretty good. Shot at - F/8, 1/160, ISO 200. Cheers Paul.
Edit - Forgot to say, the bright harsh sunlight, was coming from behind the butterfly, so without using camera flash, the butterfly appeared quite dark!

P1110518-copy-to-800.jpg

Last edited:
A couple of minutes later, that same Peacock butterfly, flew off then landed back on the log, but this time, it opened its wings nicely for me.

Same camera setup, but this image is shot without the need for flash (which is how I normally shoot 99% of my butterflies images).

F/8, 1/1000, ISO 500. Cheers Paul...Image is not cropped.

P1110521-copy-to-800.jpg

Can see I've been busy in this lockdown, got another couple from this range.

P1001300.jpg 11.jpg

What are peoples thoughts on moon pictures? Apart from "I've had enough!" :D

I've seen a lot recently, I suppose we all have. There are some very high contrast ones and some very detailed ones and even some colourful ones and I'm sure they're very nice but a lot of them I think are too much. I prefer less.

What are peoples thoughts on moon pictures? Apart from "I've had enough!" :D

I've seen a lot recently, I suppose we all have. There are some very high contrast ones and some very detailed ones and even some colourful ones and I'm sure they're very nice but a lot of them I think are too much. I prefer less.

Personally like the high contrast detailed ones with lots of crater action
Seen a fair few lately, but makes a change from bird on a stick photos

Last edited:
Playing with my Samyang 7.5mm on the GX7 today...

Fisheye lace curtains GX7 P1140468.jpg

One from last August, i'm a complete amateur when it comes to manipulating photos and have no subscriptions to lightroom or any other platform so feel free to manipulate the image, as i'm sure you clever people on here would do a much better job. Cheers Mark.

49804323636_e4ca787637_h.jpg

One from last August, i'm a complete amateur when it comes to manipulating photos and have no subscriptions to lightroom or any other platform so feel free to manipulate the image, as i'm sure you clever people on here would do a much better job. Cheers Mark.

There are some free ones. I used Rawtherapee for a while. It might be worth giving it a try and any other free ones you find too.

I spent an interesting few minutes playing with my lenses today. The point was to see which allowed the subject to be captured the largest as when out and about I often like to take pictures of flowers, leaves, detail and any butterflies or other critters that I see.

The lenses.
Primes - Olympus 17, 25 and 45mm f1.8's.
Zooms - Olympus 9-18mm, Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8, 14-42mm, 45-150mm and 100-400mm. With these I didn't bother checking at intermediate focal lengths and just looked at the widest and longest settings.

Of the primes the 25mm allowed the subject to be captured the largest but it was beaten by four zooms.

In first place was maybe surprisingly the 100-400mm at 400mm, after that there was precious little difference between the 14-42, 12-35 and 45-150mm lenses at their longest settings.

That was interesting :D

maybe a way to get you started - if you shoot raw you can do a fantastic amount of processing in camera, like pulling in the highlights, exposure, white balance etc, I used to have a G7 and G80 and frequently edited raw in camera. Maybe check it out :]

I was a bit bored so I had a play with this. Left the framing as is and just tried to introduce a little more contrast, raise the shadows here and there, a touch more colour (yes that's right) 'here and there' :giggle: Adjusted the levels in places and removed the car just entering the bridge and the white river level marker. Probably not 'different enough' really ?

My version

i-npWdqpb-X2.jpg

Last edited:
I will carry this over from the olympus thread .after having problems with lens tightness on a olympus omd1-mk2 with my PL100-400 I decided last week to buy a G9 it arrived this morning and I have been playing with getting it set up all day .doesnt help when you cant pop down to your mates half a mile away either .. anyway to start me off I tried this one this evening hand held of our dog on the settee using the animal detect setting . no artificial light just daylight coming through the windows quite pleased with the result TBH 100mm /iso3200/1-25th sec
animal detect test by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
I will carry this over from the olympus thread .after having problems with lens tightness on a olympus omd1-mk2 with my PL100-400 I decided last week to buy a G9 it arrived this morning and I have been playing with getting it set up all day .doesnt help when you cant pop down to your mates half a mile away either .. anyway to start me off I tried this one this evening hand held of our dog on the settee using the animal detect setting . no artificial light just daylight coming through the windows quite pleased with the result TBH 100mm /iso3200/1-25th sec
animal detect test by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr
Looking good already Jeff.
one thing I’d like to ask (I know you don’t want to play one against the other which I totally agree with but) how have you found the AF in comparison to the Oly m2?
As I say, just a direct comparison but not to start an in depth analysis

That’s a hard one to answer at the moment Chris ,day one ,setting it up (probably not bang on either ) and totally crap weather .. but there doesn’t seem to be much between them so far . I now have with the big lens anyway dual i.s as opposed to lens only I.s which is going to show in decent light to lower iso and slower shutter speeds if needed / wanted . The e.v.f seems darker to me but I might be able to adjust that .. no blackout on burst mode straight out of the box .,the ability in manual mode with auto iso engaged to do exp comp is a bonus ... the touch screen is hyper sensitive . As is the shutter button .. but still loads to learn .
I was impressed by build quality straight out of the box it feels like a proper camera compared to the g80 I had before .

That’s a hard one to answer at the moment Chris ,day one ,setting it up (probably not bang on either ) and totally crap weather .. but there doesn’t seem to be much between them so far . I now have with the big lens anyway dual i.s as opposed to lens only I.s which is going to show in decent light to lower iso and slower shutter speeds if needed / wanted . The e.v.f seems darker to me but I might be able to adjust that .. no blackout on burst mode straight out of the box .,the ability in manual mode with auto iso engaged to do exp comp is a bonus ... the touch screen is hyper sensitive . As is the shutter button .. but still loads to learn .
I was impressed by build quality straight out of the box it feels like a proper camera compared to the g80 I had before .
Thanks, that’s helpful. Look forward to more of your images (as always) and see your progress going forward.

after the rain cleared this evening sat on my garden wall taking pics across the green opposite . still on a learning curve but getting there , the EVF is a touch to dark for my liking ,but I suppose I ll get used to it . and I'll have to settle on a a/f pattern for b.i.f and shutter speeds ,bit hard in lockdown
hiding by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

the look by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

black op flight by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
Jeff, you do know you can adjust the evf brightness, contrast and colours in the menu? I think you can do all these things, you can certainly make it brighter.

Jeff, you do know you can adjust the evf brightness, contrast and colours in the menu? I think you can do all these things, you can certainly make it brighter.
doesnt seem to make that much difference Allan .but ive not been 100% today so will try again tomorrow

another shot of yesterdays rook flying off with a slice of bread .. the G9 hasn't taken long to get used to ,I found the SET settings in the menu easy to access ,I have made a couple of changes this morning following advice on the panasonic settings home page .. might improve it more . i'm warming to this camera more and more each day
grabbing a take away by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

another shot of yesterdays rook flying off with a slice of bread .. the G9 hasn't taken long to get used to ,I found the SET settings in the menu easy to access ,I have made a couple of changes this morning following advice on the panasonic settings home page .. might improve it more . i'm warming to this camera more and more each day
grabbing a take away by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr
That’s a really nice shot Jeff, a great start!

jackdaw gathering nesting ,from the other nights session ..I seem to be getting better resolution with this camera than I did with the lens on the olympus body .. I always seem to struggle with it past a certain distance . no such problem here .this shot is virtually a 100% crop

the homemaker by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

First photo with my new lens, Olympus 60mm Macro / Panasonic G90
Handheld and not exactly steady, rushed too as it was just starting to rain, f/2.8, 1/100, ISO 200
Few Bluebells that show every year in my less than well tended garden
P1001476 1.jpg

jackdaw gathering nesting ,from the other nights session ..I seem to be getting better resolution with this camera than I did with the lens on the olympus body .. I always seem to struggle with it past a certain distance . no such problem here .this shot is virtually a 100% crop

the homemaker by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Dont forget with the G9 you are using contrast-detect for the focusing not phase detect so focusing should be spot on every time, this could show as more detail/ sharper focus at some FL with a zoom.

One from yesterday, GX80 and 100-400mm.

FTNPdnD.jpg

The house and back garden are my world at the moment, some from today.

Crops from whole pictures, GX80 and 100-400mm again.

R0xZAjB.jpg

1Oi5a4U.jpg

PKxEFOh.jpg

One last one, a whole picture. Alf and Tess, loyal, loving and as always watching over us.

NcpUjkQ.jpg

I haven't had any luck with birds yet and birds in flight have been a disaster. I'll keep trying :D

Last edited:
Back