"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

I was just Googling and came across this Panasonic 10-25mm f1.7 review by David Thorpe. I didn't know this lens existed! It does look impressive but also BIG and expensive. Anyone got one or thinking of getting one?

Here's the vid, if anyone hasn't seen it :D

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYBTbTWKEcE&list=PL754C3AAF38017475&index=2&t=0s

David Thorpe is without doubt the best reviewer of M 4/3 on Youtube - bar none. The guy is brilliant. I just wish he would put out more content.

Check out his review of the Panasonic 35 - 100 3.5 - whatever. Brilliant. I bought this lens following his review and it is without doubt the best lens I have ever used - phenomenal.

Check out his review of the Panasonic 35 - 100 3.5 - whatever. Brilliant. I bought this lens following his review and it is without doubt the best lens I have ever used - phenomenal.

Are you referring to the small telephoto version with variable aperture?

David Thorpe is without doubt the best reviewer of M 4/3 on Youtube - bar none. The guy is brilliant. I just wish he would put out more content.

Yup.

I look for new posts quite often but he must have a busy life.

Last edited:
Looking good Jeff - you seem to be pleased so far.
not to bad Malcolm , getting to grips with it limited by targets .. in these strange times .. cant get my head round the darker EVF after getting used to the bright olympus one .. tried brightening it but nothing works .so far thats the only down side

well today I was getting so fed up with the dull EVF that I considered sending it back under distance selling rules.. but I sat down and did a total re-set this afternoon then input all my settings again and its now working fine . computer glitch ?? no idea but now hopefully get some decent stuff from it

I was a bit bored so I had a play with this. Left the framing as is and just tried to introduce a little more contrast, raise the shadows here and there, a touch more colour (yes that's right) 'here and there' :giggle: Adjusted the levels in places and removed the car just entering the bridge and the white river level marker. Probably not 'different enough' really ?

My version

i-npWdqpb-X2.jpg

I think it's just perfect.

Thank you Roy, absolutely chuffed with what you've done here, it's so much better than my original! I like everything you've tweaked, the reeds and swans are still crystal clear with no loss of detail from the original yet the stone work on that historic bridge is so much more detailed as are the trees the other side of the bridge and the additional colour in the far top right trees. I always thought the car spoiled the pic as did the river level marker. Great job done - thanks again Roy - much appreciated! :)

Not that there will be many interested but the foreground water was roughly 5ft deep and crystal clear, you could see every stone on the river bed, what would i give to run a float through there.

Last edited:
Thanks,
maybe a way to get you started - if you shoot raw you can do a fantastic amount of processing in camera, like pulling in the highlights, exposure, white balance etc, I used to have a G7 and G80 and frequently edited raw in camera. Maybe check it out :]

Thanks, i take my inspiration from much of the superb photography on here and as you've pointed out i need to learn how to use the camera to get the best out of it. I have a very steep learning curve but something i'm going to have to do however frustrating i'm bound to find it. Thanks again cheers Mark.

a couple of gull shots from yesterday , now seem to have sorted out the dull EVF problem after a re-set . and found out last night you can actually save your settings to a spare card in case you cock up the menu ,just re-load and it will upload saved settings handy to know feature .
the two of us by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

up in arms by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

just p/p to my normal methods

Cheers, my original question / compliment was to the colours? Answer wasn't very helpful.
I tend to like vivid colours in my p/p ,so yes probably more colour saturated than other folks shots . It’s a personal thing really i Try to give my pictures some POP if you like

tried the g9 out this morning down on the estuary ,and still having major problems with the EVF simply to dim compared to the olympus .. so I have decided to return it . pity really as in all other respects its a good camera . possibly because my glasses are to curved for it I dont really know but informed the shop and its going back

tried the g9 out this morning down on the estuary ,and still having major problems with the EVF simply to dim compared to the olympus .. so I have decided to return it . pity really as in all other respects its a good camera . possibly because my glasses are to curved for it I dont really know but informed the shop and its going back

Could it be faulty?

I managed to get a half decent shot of our friendly Blue Tit leaving the nesting box this afternoon.

This is with the G9 and PL 200mm f2.8 prime.
I used 1/3200th - I don't really mind the wing blur as it gives a feeling of movement, but I'm going to up the speed to see how quick I have to go to completely freeze it.
They are quick!

Take off! by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr

I tend to like vivid colours in my p/p ,so yes probably more colour saturated than other folks shots . It’s a personal thing really i Try to give my pictures some POP if you like

Thanks, i was interested to hear your thoughts because it seams to me if you use the camera straight out of the box the files are a little lifeless where colours are concerned and definitely not like a Fuji. Good to know you're tweeking them to your liking - the colours certainly look good to me also. Cheers Mark.

Last edited:
After one year owning a 100-400 and having never left it's boxed I finally got it out!
And I finally found something that really bother me with my gx9!

Usually I like the flippy viewfinder. Sometimes I like to be able to angle it upward when taking shot from bellow.

But with the 100-400 I find it really annoying. Usually the eyepiece is a great stabilisation point when hand holding a long lens. But with a eye piece that is not fixed it makes handholding much harder nearly impossible to be honnest. Anyone else think the same?

I have a gx9, a pana 42.5mm f1.8 and a pana 15mm f1.7.
Any idea if i can use some extension tube with any of these lens.
If so any idea which one to choose (cheap would be good).
Thanks

Extension tubes should work well with the 42.5mm but would be dismal on the 15mm as you'd have no noticable working distance. The best tubes are Kenko but they're three times the price of the others. After that you're probably looking at Viltrox or Fotga. Cheaper than those two is probably nasty.

Well, after several months waiting for this time to arrive, I am now able to purchase my ‘happy retirement‘ camera kit. I wanted to go mirrorless as my Canon + heavy ‘L‘ lens days are sadly over due to back problems so I promised myself a treat when the time was right, which it now is.
Having delved into various different options, namely Sony, Olympus and Panasonic systems, I’ve decided to push the button on my ultimate Panasonic set up. I’ve ordered a G9 body, went for the Pan/Leica 12-60 f2.8-4.0 package (may add a second G9 or more likely G80 later to save switching lenses so often), Panny 8-18 f2.8-4.0, Panny 200 f2.8 with 1.4 ext, Olympus 300 f4 Pro + extenders.
My main interests are predominately bird photography / wildlife and some landscape so I’m hoping these lenses will cover all options for the foreseeable future.
I’m looking forward to getting to grips with the system and hope to participate here for some time to come!

Last edited:
Back