"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Panasonic G9 100-400 @ 400mm iso 4000

48151097842_7cd495aff1_o.jpg

Just bought myself a new 35-100mm f2.8.
Popped out this morning to take a few shots - what a fab lens! Sharp as a tack and great colours.
Now looking for a Leica 100-400mm (again!)

Just bought myself a new 35-100mm f2.8.
Popped out this morning to take a few shots - what a fab lens! Sharp as a tack and great colours.

I agree, only sold mine when I got the 12-100, dual is2 as well with the later cameras.
Enjoy!!

I have bought a GX880 with a 14mm f2.5 as an "always in my bag" camera as I do not have a smartphone and don't really want one. And so far it's proven pretty good.

Now I wish I had gone for the 20mm f1.7. I find on my other camera the GX9 I love the 15mm f1.7 but I include a lot of full body portrait when I'm out with my family, And when I take picture I have for time for framing, going a bit out of the way to get the shot I'm looking after. With this "always in the bag" camera I took more snaps i.e sunset, view from the side of the road, things I don't have the time to go out of my way... and I find the 14mm is a bit too wide, a bit too far for this sort of purpose.

So I think i'll end up getting a 20mm f1.7 too also a lot of review point to a slow autofocus compare to the 14mm. I can't see any benefit of getting the version ii? Apart maybe the fact of knowing that the lens is much more recent as some mark i can actually be pretty old now?

20210210-snowy day off work-P1020439-Pano by Thomas, sur Flickr

Last edited:
Just got a lumix 20mm f.17 mark ii.
Put it on the GX880.

AFC is greyed out only AFS or MF are available?
Apparently, this is normal, but I am pretty surprised (Slightly annoyed).

Last edited:
Just got a lumix 20mm f.17 mark ii.
Put it on the GX880.

AFC is greyed out only AFS or MF are available?
Apparently, this is normal, but I am pretty surprised (Slightly annoyed).

I don’t understand that - why?

Didn't know about it and a quick google took me to a few threads on other forums like dpreview and apparently the 20mm is an old style of focusing motor which doesn't allow AFC?
But only AFS.

I'd never expected that, specially i grabbed the mkii which is a fairly recent lens.

Didn't know about it and a quick google took me to a few threads on other forums like dpreview and apparently the 20mm is an old style of focusing motor which doesn't allow AFC?
But only AFS.

I'd never expected that, specially i grabbed the mkii which is a fairly recent lens.

I can't believe that.. how "backwards" and unusual? Considering you can use an EF lens from the 80s (my canon 200 2.8) on a micro 4/3 with continuous AF (via adapter..)

But only AFS.
How disappointing. I know the 20mm f1.7 is known for being a bit slow to focus but that seems extreme.

I guess you could try the Olympus 17mm f1.8 or Panasonic 25mm f1.7? I have both and rate them on my Oly E-M10ii
I know from when I looked around the actual field of view across these lenses wasn't quite what you might expect from the difference in specified focal length but I can't remember the details.
Might be worth googling for comparisons if you're thinking of changing.
The P25 f1.7 is a nice lens but I find it a bit tight for some circumstances and favour the O17mm f1.8 most of the time.

Apparently, continuous focus works in video mode but not in photo mode.
I really don't get it, I've watched a few reviews and it's not often mentioned so much so that it was a surprise.
If I made reviews I think that would be the first thing I would say because it really is a strange one!

I have bought it to pair with my gx880 as a small camera so I have the 14mm and the 20mm both pretty tiny lenses.

That's even more strange? I would have thought continuous focus in video was harder.
It wouldn't bother me too much as I tend to use SAF all the time.
The tracking and continuous modes on my M-10ii aren't supposed to be that good but as I don't shoot much where it would be useful it's not big deal.

Very clean for a cropped iso 2500 shot, Did you put it through topaz denoise AI too? I'm just playing with the free months of that software.

Very clean for a cropped iso 2500 shot, Did you put it through topaz denoise AI too? I'm just playing with the free months of that software.

Anything above, say 800 ISO, I tend to put through Denoise AI. (Keepers only!)
I think it’s a terrific piece of software - as long as you don’t ‘overdo it’. I tend to do any sharpening in Lightroom, where I can use a brush.

Anything above, say 800 ISO, I tend to put through Denoise AI. (Keepers only!)
I think it’s a terrific piece of software - as long as you don’t ‘overdo it’. I tend to do any sharpening in Lightroom, where I can use a brush.

Do you denoise using the plugin or after export on the jpg.

Greetings all,
Just picked up a GX80. I have been paralysed by indecision for a while, since deciding to retire my old D50. Finally figured a punt on the GX80 was worth it given the price.
Mainly I’m going to be shooting while out walking with my son, so combination street / wild. It arrives tomorrow so any tips, or essential accessory recommendations are very much welcome.

I have a GX9 which I think is fairly similar to GX80?
Nice camera for walkabout indeed. I mostly use prime lenses to keep size down. I love my 15mm 1.7 and 42,5 1.7 for 90% of photo. But I do have a llaowa 7.5mm f2 for astrophotography and a panasonic 100-400 for wildlife.

I have a 25mm 1.4 in the classify if you are interrested because I think I'm not a big 50mm fan. Well I like 50mm in a zoom but when it on a prime I find it a bit limiting.

I have a GX9 which I think is fairly similar to GX80?
Nice camera for walkabout indeed. I mostly use prime lenses to keep size down. I love my 15mm 1.7 and 42,5 1.7 for 90% of photo. But I do have a llaowa 7.5mm f2 for astrophotography and a panasonic 100-400 for wildlife.

I have a 25mm 1.4 in the classify if you are interrested because I think I'm not a big 50mm fan. Well I like 50mm in a zoom but when it on a prime I find it a bit limiting.
Ah the GX9 was one I considered, I think it’s pretty much a GX80 with higher resolution sensor and a few extras, but it’s also nearly £200 more expensive.
I’ll have to make do with the kit lens for now as I don’t have lens kinda funds at the mo. Maybe filter/spare battery level

Ah the GX9 was one I considered, I think it’s pretty much a GX80 with higher resolution sensor and a few extras, but it’s also nearly £200 more expensive.
I’ll have to make do with the kit lens for now as I don’t have lens kinda funds at the mo. Maybe filter/spare battery level

Ended up sending the GX80 back due to not everything being in the box. Ordered a GX9 instead. Arrived today :)

Essential add-ons for the GX9 are the extended eye cup and the JJC grip. I bought mine about a year ago as I got a good price for it with the Lumix 12-60mm and that's probably the only lens I need for it.

Essential add-ons for the GX9 are the extended eye cup and the JJC grip. I bought mine about a year ago as I got a good price for it with the Lumix 12-60mm and that's probably the only lens I need for it.

Agree with the rubber eye cup, it's great.

I've not got a grip myself.

I do not use filters either.

I have not got spare batteries yet, I still find the battery last me easily one good outing. But taking video use a lot more battery and shooting in cold temperature does too. The reel Panasonic batteries are crazy expensive so I've not bothered.

I find camera bags are tricky with the GX9, especially with the rubber eyecup which protrude a fair bit. it's a bit awkward to fit in any of my camera bags which are more suited to DSLR shape. I have a tiny bag where it fits with one lens attached. But I've not found the perfect bag yet to fit the camera and spare lenses altogether.

Reactions: Pin
Jeepers yeh £50 or so for a battery? I see there are 3rd party options. I would really like an external charger too which I think are 3rd party only. Any recommendations for 3rd party kit that won’t kill my device and are decent quality?

I have got a spare GX9 eyecup, can bung it in the classifieds if it helps.
Usual recommendations for 3rd party batteries are ExPro, White ones are best.
If the grip appeals beware the Panasonic one doesn't have a cut out for the battery compartment, no Arca rails either.

I have got a spare GX9 eyecup, can bung it in the classifieds if it helps.
Usual recommendations for 3rd party batteries are ExPro, White ones are best.
If the grip appeals beware the Panasonic one doesn't have a cut out for the battery compartment, no Arca rails either.
Thanks for the offer, but I’m really hoping the eye cup and grip don’t prove to be essential for me. The reason I chose the model was the size and style as much as anything, so I’m hoping not to bulk it up too much. And I have a generic (man)bag with an inner pocket which it slides into perfectly. That said getting a good shot is the main thing

The eye cup add bulk indeed but with the GX9 I take 90% of my picture with the viewfinder and it really does help.

What lens came with your GX9?

Thanks for the offer, but I’m really hoping the eye cup and grip don’t prove to be essential for me. The reason I chose the model was the size and style as much as anything, so I’m hoping not to bulk it up too much. And I have a generic (man)bag with an inner pocket which it slides into perfectly. That said getting a good shot is the main thing

I think you might find the eyecup is almost an essential accessory despite the added bulk.
If you mainly use the viewfinder the difference with and without is very noticeable.

Had a clear out of cupboards yesterday and also found an unused mains/car charger and ExPro (Black) battery for the GX9.
Only got one GX9 now and that only gets used for wandering around cities with the 15/1.7 attached.
I'll stick the lot on the classifieds today or tomorrow, i'm unlikely to ever use them.

Last edited:
The eye cup add bulk indeed but with the GX9 I take 90% of my picture with the viewfinder and it really does help.

What lens came with your GX9?

I got it with the standard pancake 12-32. I'll be picking up a prime with a larger aperture soon, just need to get out and about and have a go before I decide what I need first.

I think you might find the eyecup is almost an essential accessory despite the added bulk.
If you mainly use the viewfinder the difference with and without is very noticeable.

Had a clear out of cupboards yesterday and also found an unused mains/car charger and ExPro (Black) battery for the GX9.
Only got one GX9 now and that only gets used for wandering around cities with the 15/1.7 attached.
I'll stick the lot on the classifieds today or tomorrow, i'm unlikely to ever use them.
Unfortunately, I'm too new to this forum to have access to the classifieds.
What do you use aside from the GX9?

Unfortunately, I'm too new to this forum to have access to the classifieds.
What do you use aside from the GX9?

That's a shame, how about I leave them in the cupboard until you have served your probation?

I also use a G90 and G9 with a mixture of Olympus and Panasonic lenses.
Have had a few different m4/3 cameras over the last few years, but I reckon the GX9 has had the most use.
Taken it to a fair few European cities and its never let me down, had a spare at one stage just in case.
I like to leave a camera and lens with a memory card plus fully charged battery in the hotel.
That way if anything is lost, stolen or broken I can carry on taking photos of somewhere I might never visit again.

Trying a different approach with my GX80+7-14mm. I bought the 7-14 last summer, used, cheap. I've always found wide angle lenses a challenge, therefore not used it much. These were both taken at 7mm, both cropped a bit.

IMO, 12mm is more manageable and wide enough for just about anything.

ACtC-3eaKOukuuo8cVgU275lqG6fCvm3qQAkQm2z3s_7olTUYEdLWKL3gEzfP57QNx0Vc3D41--vmDj1xv2kFXhgJ0BdDbnfhNZJKg8zRrdU4aq4XcWR0cipUZpsfrKLxZtQYvdRFUFaNwaShnGCW8yZ4P02ag=w699-h590-no

ACtC-3f1X78Lx1_WP2x3Ja34n5AxzDf_5asHKVZYLIxsc2wN_tFrdlbVAcjwDTFJmfYzY3bi_VaqRnNVfe_7SnZVdlVrUmm-fHTbZDa1ydxTDcMfMIREXYscHSXK2AL9nDY6tR1Yi_SP0tG5jprBBovWn7EhEQ=w499-h590-no

I've always found wide angle lenses a challenge, therefore not used it much.
I find that super wide lenses only work for me when there really is no alternative. I use the Olympus 9~18mm on my M43 cameras. It used to be on an EPL-5 but now it lives on a GH5. Some older shots...

Charlie Chaplin mime artist Innsbuck E-PL5 9070041.JPG

Commer utility vehicle with a Bedford crane in background Yorkshire Air Museum E-PL5 038010044.JPG

^ ^ ^ Andrew

Thanks ... two good examples of how to use a WA lens. Get in close. Some like them to get a couple more farmers fields in their landscapes.

But don't you agree 12mm on M43 is effectively wide.

Here's one from last month taken with 12-60 at 12mm ... I'm pleased with that.

ACtC-3fw29LuAWlWGsAnS1r7ZCWGanhc16zFKSV-o_39KOSnIn9pUnW6Sn7y0lsYDJPu3Az3TNzz3bhKagX__0nXgLTrlp-29xDAQR7zCt2RUVim5DRgfm-PfzX9QW1fmKNS8v8sJNnkcZn0BJXa0vV7tSeMgw=w985-h867-no

I have the 9-18 Olympus and I like the extra width over the 12-60, it can work well for interiors, or when you want the perspective only a wide angle lens gives.

But don't you agree 12mm on M43 is effectively wide.
I think it's all relative. When I started in the 1960s, 35mm was wide and 28mm was very wide. It's easy to forget just how much choice we have these days but my current outfit can cover from 15mm to 1200mm (in 35mm terms) and most of those lenses are zooms. I find it's very liberating. (y)

Woman on phone Exeter P1011737.JPG

Woman kissing bald man's head  P1010255.JPG

Woman in white riding tricycle in Sidmouth DSC01263.JPG

Last edited:
Back