"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

G100 and Oly 17mm f1.8.

Flyover. It was very windy so that explains the blurry leaves.

enBpXSf.jpg

Bubble wrap bag.

975SZ9x.jpg

Another G100 and Oly 17mm f1.8 picture.

A couple on The Lines.

a7qt3El.jpg

Despite what it looks like that sky isn't actually blown. It's just a normal NE of England sky :D

Last edited:
Pana G80
Well for a couple of days I have been bemused by the shutter option not available in the menu, I put it on electronic and for some reason the last couple of days I couldn't access the tab to change it. Then today I realised the flash options tab was greyed out and not available either.
No idea if I had changed something in the settings that cancelled them out?
Did a factory reset and they came back and the shutter went back to mechanical. All very odd.

Pana G80
Well for a couple of days I have been bemused by the shutter option not available in the menu, I put it on electronic and for some reason the last couple of days I couldn't access the tab to change it. Then today I realised the flash options tab was greyed out and not available either.
No idea if I had changed something in the settings that cancelled them out?
Did a factory reset and they came back and the shutter went back to mechanical. All very odd.
There was an option you changed that required electronic shutter, and electronic shutter disables flash.
I have seen it happen, but can't remember what it was. If you look in the manual it will tell you what is not available under certain options.
I'll try and see if I can find what it was.
When ever you choose a mode or option that doesn't support using other options, they will be greyed out or missing.

There was an option you changed that required electronic shutter, and electronic shutter disables flash.
I have seen it happen, but can't remember what it was. If you look in the manual it will tell you what is not available under certain options.
I'll try and see if I can find what it was.
When ever you choose a mode or option that doesn't support using other options, they will be greyed out or missing.
High speed burst is one that will do just that, and you did mention you had tried it

There's a lot of that ... "not available in these cases: " in the manual, x59 in the GX80 manual, at the end of each section/chapter.

Here's an image I googled up, it's a good idea to have your screen looking like that with those icons along the top:

exposure mode, photo style, flash, and so on. Get used to seeing those, and when new icons appear HDR, BKT, burst, etc. they can interfere with other functions.

maxresdefault.jpg

anybody use the in-camera focus stacking?

I'm quite pleased with this, not perfect, but not bad.

A tatty old well used pocket camera:

AM-JKLXlX3zbvxQMqa4HbCBWWl8ZU2EQ1CJ-rAidT03ZStZ0-4nDMXDaGZ1uRm8_R8NAqp_LQdkUoRH7GBHsRmJeIQt3RgJkKSC0DZmeR39pgiHIF4w1k81Z90dgz9_zRKrFgb61XbdIafA-Jtbf0CQMcIN_ZA=w1155-h866-no

Last edited:
anybody use the in-camera focus stacking?

I'm quite pleased with this, not perfect, but not bad.

A tatty old well used pocket camera:

AM-JKLXlX3zbvxQMqa4HbCBWWl8ZU2EQ1CJ-rAidT03ZStZ0-4nDMXDaGZ1uRm8_R8NAqp_LQdkUoRH7GBHsRmJeIQt3RgJkKSC0DZmeR39pgiHIF4w1k81Z90dgz9_zRKrFgb61XbdIafA-Jtbf0CQMcIN_ZA=w1155-h866-no

No, but oddly, I have just been playing with the focus bracketing, than stacked them in Affinity

fs1.jpgfsos.jpg

High speed burst is one that will do just that, and you did mention you had tried it
Right so the High Speed Burst Rate greyed out the flash, that makes sense.
What doesn't is why the shutter option greyed out and I was stuck on electronic.
The only other changes I made are disabling the touch screen and using silent mode.
I'll check the manual but it's got me stumped so far.

Right so the High Speed Burst Rate greyed out the flash, that makes sense.
What doesn't is why the shutter option greyed out and I was stuck on electronic.
The only other changes I made are disabling the touch screen and using silent mode.
I'll check the manual but it's got me stumped so far.
Silent mode is electronic, and I think high speed burst is too, so you wouldn't be able to select mechanical shutter

Here's an image I googled up, it's a good idea to have your screen looking like that with those icons along the top:

exposure mode, photo style, flash, and so on. Get used to seeing those, and when new icons appear HDR, BKT, burst, etc. they can interfere with other functions.

maxresdefault.jpg
That's a great tip, sounds obvious to many on here but as a newbie, I must admit I don't use the info on the screen enough.
Thanks for that.

I need to memorise the manual ! Not easy though when there's so much of it !
Thanks Steve.
There's only 337 pages! :)

And I like the way the first page says "Please read these instructions carefully before using this product and save this manual for future use"

I was relieved to see they didn't expect you to read it all and remember it all.

Big kids don't read manuals.

Guess how I found out about this happening :)

And I like the way the first page says "Please read these instructions carefully before using this product and save this manual for future use"

I was relieved to see they didn't expect you to read it all and remember it all.

It's about being good at searching Ctrl + F

Aww look how cute they are :love:

My setup complete for now. Wanted a Panasonic 9mm f1.7 but the laowa 10mm f2 will do nicely for now :D

View attachment 359957
Nice! I too wanted the 9mm, and was on the waiting list, but got bored and re-bought an 8-18. If and when I need a compact wide I'll probably go for the Laowa 7.5mm.

Nice! I too wanted the 9mm, and was on the waiting list, but got bored and re-bought an 8-18. If and when I need a compact wide I'll probably go for the Laowa 7.5mm.
Yes I did think about the 7.5mm too. I basically bought the one I found first at a decent price.

There is a 7.5mm at ffordes now for £279 which is a really nice price.

I'll eventually get the 9mm but till I can find one in used market I'll keep using the laowa.

I want to keep my kit really light and small.
I think I have achieved that very well here :)
And as a bonus all my primes have 46mm filter thread :D

Last edited:
I did this a couple of years ago using the GX80 exposure brackets .... -2 / -1 / 0

-2 for the sky. 0 for the rest.

AM-JKLW7ilio94dzHTYFL6OQr9o0M3JhNLLi93Q6nTFw_JuEG0zoUDdpMeC2vEzfQ-G0SoZiZ4oQEwrc7DpWaZCv1PiAlmLPMDi5AGx7TOWj1OPR_fQFGj6NVMUFbJIf1nk5sMNbvLEdb1mFDenWXbs0AKzn7Q=w497-h590-no
Exposure bracketing, that's a whole new world and I am big enough to admit I still have work to do on the basics first. Like understanding that you don't need wide open aperture bokeh on macro shots and the whole insect may be sharp is you use a higher F stop, say F8-F11. Little things I still don't get right and I spend too much time in editing trying to save images that could have been better in-camera.
Don't get me wrong, I can understand what you're saying, and appreciate how it helped with that image, so I am learning these things. Hopefully I'll feel more confident soon and then I'll have a bash at that, and other methods. These modern cameras have so much tech, but right now I'm like an old golfer who hasn't hit a ball for 20 years.

Ha ha ! Real men know everything......until they get it wrong........then they learn what they thought they already knew :)

This has just made me insanely jealous. I fell in the sea with my GX9 and best prime lens last week Needless to say it’s totalled.
I'm sorry to hear that :(
I haven't spent a huge lot on this stuff, all bought used.

I hope your are able to replace yours soon

I'm sorry to hear that :(
I haven't spent a huge lot on this stuff, all bought used.

I hope your are able to replace yours soon
Ha yeh I’m looking to buy used now too. I’ve put a wanted up in the classifieds so will see if something turns up.

Ha yeh I’m looking to buy used now too. I’ve put a wanted up in the classifieds so will see if something turns up.
I'd offer you one of mine since I always intended to sell one of them.
Not sure which one though, was going to use both for a few months before deciding.

From dhal to dhal at f22

I needed to set something rough up to show my 11 year old the effects of aperture on photos, he was using his Canon with a 55-250, it worked well so I thought following from quite a few discussions on the topic using the Panasonic 100-300 lens, I would take some with that.
Results are quite interesting, did help me to see exactly how this lens is.

Focus point was the Del Monte logo on the bottom pineapple tin.

Distance between the front of each tin is 7", and distance from camera to focus point 26'

f5.6
5.6.jpg

f8
f8.jpg

f13
f13.jpg

f22
f22.jpg

I've been impressed with the image quality of the Panasonic G100. When I get time I'll try to compare it to mx GX9 as they're both 20mp and so should be very similar. I don't know if it's the same sensor in these cameras or not.

I keep thinking back to the Canon 5D I had and I was sure the G100 held the highlights better so I googled DR for the two and 5D has 11.1 and the G100 has 12. Googling tells me my A7 has 14 stops of DR. Still, the G100 isn't bad.

I still cannot get my head around why Panasonic dropped the GM series - I'm just glad I grabbed a pair of GM5s when people were selling them off cheap. A raspberry flower at the end of the garden...

Raspberries and flower GM5 _1050792.JPG

I really like mine. I take it with me when I don't want anything bigger but apart from the size of it one thing I really like is the shutter as it's so quiet. The G100 is also very quiet.

I wish they'd do a new one.

One taken with the new 9mm/1.7, seems to be bit of a "Marmite" lens from what i've been reading.
Yes it is sharpest in the centre of the frame, but unless you view everything at 100% the edges are fine too.
My test is view at simulated A3 print size, if that's good (it is) then i'm happy.

P1015917 1.jpg

Last edited:
One taken with the new 9mm/1.7, seems to be bit of a "Marmite" lens from what i've been reading.
Yes it is sharpest in the centre of the frame, but unless you view everything at 100% the edges are fine too.
My test is view at simulated A3 print size, if that's good (it is) then i'm happy.

View attachment 360744
Anymore thoughts on this lens ?

Thinking of getting one purely for its size - the reviews do seem to vary but I’m prepared to compromise because of its size

I think the one by Red35 was fairly accurate. He spent his own cash on it so no reason to not be honest.
Taken a fair few photos with mine and very happy with it wide open. That's why I got it, stuff like dimly lit interiors and low light urban travel.
Not sure if you want an out and out landscape lens that it's the best bet.

Back