"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

I tried 6k briefly first time out with the G9 last week, but the main issues were (aside from the aforementioned extracting-the-favourite-still) was that one still has to get the bird in the frame and the camera still has to nail the focus. Regarding the former, I think I still have a lot of practice to do, and regarding the latter I still have dozens of settings to experiment with. I'm thinking of trying back button focus, as the shutter button on the G9 is so sensitive that I think it's taking shots before the focus is there.

I've also found (so far) that, as Steve said, burst and pre-burst were better options, but the downside is one comes home with so many frames to sort through it's a pretty daunting affair, and (for me at least) post-processing, especially sorting through hundreds of photos, isn't an enjoyable part of photography - probably because I have old software and I have to convert the files to DNG before I can import them into Lightroom, and I'm forever having to delete stuff as my hard-drive is so full. Having two versions (RAW and DNG) of hundreds of photos is not good. One day I shall get a new PC and a newer version of LR. One day...

Anyway, last time out I went with just a small set of custom focus points and stuck with the slower burst mode. I will probably try a single point of focus next time, then the face-recognition, then back-button focus with each of those focus settings... So many options to try and work through and experiment with...

I've also found, disappointingly, that the G9 has exactly the same issue the G80 has, which is when focussing on a bird in the sky, often the bird simply vanishes from the EVF (I believe as the camera hunts for focus it will randomly focus on the sky, i.e. infinity, and thus the bird disappears). I'd read about this in a few reviews, but I'd also read other reviews and seen YT videos where folks say it doesn't happen. I might eventually stumble upon a setting where it solves the issue, but it was one of the things I was looking forward to moving beyond with the newer camera.

On the last point, expand the focus area, if the bird stays in the focus area, it is less likely to go right out of focus and lose the bird.

But a grey seagull against a grey sky is going to be hard at any time :)

I've got used to the light shutter button now and quite like it. On Canon I only used back button focus, but not so much on the G9.

I tried 6k briefly first time out with the G9 last week, but the main issues were (aside from the aforementioned extracting-the-favourite-still) was that one still has to get the bird in the frame and the camera still has to nail the focus. Regarding the former, I think I still have a lot of practice to do, and regarding the latter I still have dozens of settings to experiment with. I'm thinking of trying back button focus, as the shutter button on the G9 is so sensitive that I think it's taking shots before the focus is there.

I've also found (so far) that, as Steve said, burst and pre-burst were better options, but the downside is one comes home with so many frames to sort through it's a pretty daunting affair, and (for me at least) post-processing, especially sorting through hundreds of photos, isn't an enjoyable part of photography - probably because I have old software and I have to convert the files to DNG before I can import them into Lightroom, and I'm forever having to delete stuff as my hard-drive is so full. Having two versions (RAW and DNG) of hundreds of photos is not good. One day I shall get a new PC and a newer version of LR. One day...

Anyway, last time out I went with just a small set of custom focus points and stuck with the slower burst mode. I will probably try a single point of focus next time, then the face-recognition, then back-button focus with each of those focus settings... So many options to try and work through and experiment with...

I've also found, disappointingly, that the G9 has exactly the same issue the G80 has, which is when focussing on a bird in the sky, often the bird simply vanishes from the EVF (I believe as the camera hunts for focus it will randomly focus on the sky, i.e. infinity, and thus the bird disappears). I'd read about this in a few reviews, but I'd also read other reviews and seen YT videos where folks say it doesn't happen. I might eventually stumble upon a setting where it solves the issue, but it was one of the things I was looking forward to moving beyond with the newer camera.
I find that mostly when trying to fill the frame with BIF, as you say, the bird blurs and the camera seems to focus through it as it searches. It's frustrating with slow and low gliding Red Kites as the 100-300mm gets close but focus struggles. If I back off the zoom it seems to lock on faster but then I have to try and crop 16MP images to fill the final photo. I have lots of sharp Kite images where the bird is not close enough for a nice photo.

I find that mostly when trying to fill the frame with BIF, as you say, the bird blurs and the camera seems to focus through it as it searches. It's frustrating with slow and low gliding Red Kites as the 100-300mm gets close but focus struggles. If I back off the zoom it seems to lock on faster but then I have to try and crop 16MP images to fill the final photo. I have lots of sharp Kite images where the bird is not close enough for a nice photo.
Not that I’m likely to try it, but surely slow and gliding would benefit from manual focus with a small aperture for depth of field, like us oldies used to do? ;)

I hope you really enjoy the GX9 when it comes, I know I‘ve very much enjoyed using mine since getting it last year. I found I preferred using the 20mm 1.7 II more than the 12-32mm zoom, but the 12-32mm is a very handy way of carrying about a standard zoom.
Well I shall find out soon enough. Delivery tomorrow. I threw caution to the wind and just ordered one. Even if I decide its not the camera for me after several moths use I feel pretty confident either my wife or daughter will give it some use and the 12-32 will make life easier for them initially at least.

I have been keeping my eye on 20mm used prices and they have been going only one way this week and thats up. Supply vs demand no doubt but when I started looking at the GX9 and the 20mm the lens was available for £150 (mpb) last night the only available version was £200 (mpb) and today thats sold, but with a 'poorer' condition one at £150 again. Prices all over.
They are mostly out of stock especially in black though so they have a captive market.

I will stick with the little 12-32 for now though and see how things go before I buy a prime or 'better' zoom if I so decide.

Back to reading the manual but no doubt ill be back with questions soon enough!

Well I shall find out soon enough. Delivery tomorrow. I threw caution to the wind and just ordered one. Even if I decide its not the camera for me after several moths use I feel pretty confident either my wife or daughter will give it some use and the 12-32 will make life easier for them initially at least.

I have been keeping my eye on 20mm used prices and they have been going only one way this week and thats up. Supply vs demand no doubt but when I started looking at the GX9 and the 20mm the lens was available for £150 (mpb) last night the only available version was £200 (mpb) and today thats sold, but with a 'poorer' condition one at £150 again. Prices all over.
They are mostly out of stock especially in black though so they have a captive market.

I will stick with the little 12-32 for now though and see how things go before I buy a prime or 'better' zoom if I so decide.

Which 20mm lens was that? The 20mm 1.7 I find great, despite its "slow" focus and not being able to use AFC (actually never needed it when using it)

Hope you enjoy your new kit.

I've just had a quick look for 20mm f1.7's and there one on ebay for £125+£7.50 p&p.

I've just had a quick look for 20mm f1.7's and there one on ebay for £125+£7.50 p&p.
That is totally daft (to try and be polite) double what I paid!

They will come down, you either need patience or money, and as I don't have money..............................

That is totally daft (to try and be polite) double what I paid!

They will come down, you either need patience or money, and as I don't have money..............................

The last lenses I bought were the 14mm f2.5 and 20mm f1.7 when I got my GM5 and I was surprised to see prices on the up, visibly so.

Which 20mm lens was that? The 20mm 1.7 I find great, despite its "slow" focus and not being able to use AFC (actually never needed it when using it)
Yes the 20mm 1.7. Prices have been all over since I started looking. certainly nothing 'cheap' as such. They are like rocking horse poo new though so what can you do but suck it up or wait.

I intend to wait and see what happens once they start to be in stock and decide accordingly.

Cheers Alan.

Looking forward to it. Hopefully it will give me the kick up that backside I need to get out again especially as I will have it with me more than the Fuji.

Just had a look on eBay. Wildly varying prices on there too. I will keep an eye on things but no rush.

Tried the higher speed burst this afternoon. A couple of seconds and I had 50 frames! Just spent half an hour deleting 48. There were only two that were even close to being usable. This is one of the two, heavily cropped:

View attachment 378933
I often heard it said that the camera gets more in focus on the slower speeds when doing BIF (but also heard that about quite a lot of other cameras)
This is partly why I was considering the 80D and Sigma 150-600mm, for the phase detect focus system, however, I saw a review by Gordon Laing and he was disappointed with the 80D focus for BIF. Hard to know what's best really.

. Hard to know what's best really.

There's still this massive irony for me that I never intended shooting BiF, or indeed, wildlife. In terms of what I look at, and the books(*) I purchase, I'm more drawn to social documentary photography, some street (but only some), and even portraiture. But I do enjoy going for long walks in the countryside and thus I've ended up attempting this stuff. When I walk around town I always fail to get any shots at all, so I still have some thinking to do about my own direction.

(*) Recent purchases include Fan Ho, Vivian Maier, Robert Blomfeld, Jane Bown, and Cartier-Bresson, although I've had to stop now as I've run out of space!

Yes the 20mm 1.7. Prices have been all over since I started looking. certainly nothing 'cheap' as such. They are like rocking horse poo new though so what can you do but suck it up or wait.

I intend to wait and see what happens once they start to be in stock and decide accordingly.

Cheers Alan.

Looking forward to it. Hopefully it will give me the kick up that backside I need to get out again especially as I will have it with me more than the Fuji.

Just had a look on eBay. Wildly varying prices on there too. I will keep an eye on things but no rush.
I may decide to sell my 20mm when my 14mm turns up - keep an eye on Classifieds

There's still this massive irony for me that I never intended shooting BiF, or indeed, wildlife. In terms of what I look at, and the books(*) I purchase, I'm more drawn to social documentary photography, some street (but only some), and even portraiture. But I do enjoy going for long walks in the countryside and thus I've ended up attempting this stuff. When I walk around town I always fail to get any shots at all, so I still have some thinking to do about my own direction.

(*) Recent purchases include Fan Ho, Vivian Maier, Robert Blomfeld, Jane Bown, and Cartier-Bresson, although I've had to stop now as I've run out of space!
I never thought I would have a direction, but the more I captured wildlife the more I was drawn to it, I think I like the challenge and the pleasure in getting a good image. I've quickly learnt that you have to accept a lot of failures though.

You might find this useful for BIF with the G9:

I never thought I would have a direction, but the more I captured wildlife the more I was drawn to it, I think I like the challenge and the pleasure in getting a good image. I've quickly learnt that you have to accept a lot of failures though.
I know about two professional wild life photographers who spent a weekend in a good area, and didn't come home with one shot between them they liked, and they didn't think much of it.
At the same time you see fantastic shots from some one who remembered to take the lens cap off for once (ie completely inexperienced)

I'd say your improvement curve is fairly steep, so something is working :)

Took the GX80 and the 12-35 into town today.

52636819474_8be32bd9f1_c.jpg

52636046642_664e570a62_c.jpg

52637001705_bdd9def401_c.jpg

If you're hunting for used I'd recommend an eye on this site

There's a 20mm f1.7 with an "almost free" GF1 included at LCE for £205 ;)

Well. One benefit of living around the corner from the delivery depot is a nice early delivery.

So straight on charge whilst doing the school run. Got home. Pinched a memory card out of the XT-4 (could have sworn I had a spare, oh well!). Set the time and what not and out with the dog and the camera.

Impatient. Me. No!

Anyway. At this point what can I say beyond. I like it.
How small is this thing with the 12-32 attached. Side by side with my X-T4 and 16-55 2.8 is laughable.
It fits easily in a festival style aka 'man' bag which I use for dog walk poop bags, keys and phone carrying. Couldn't do that with the X-T4 even with the 27mm attached. Result.

The heft was a surprise. I expected it to be more 'cheap and plasticky' if I'm being totally honest which I was fine with based on price but it doesn't feel like that at all. Again. Result.

I attached my Peak Design Clutch wrist strap but it feel a bit too big (the quick clip) so will dig out an old para-cord one assuming I can find it of course. Probably just being picky!

So. I have only used it in manual and AFS so far and it'll probably stay like that for the most part. So following impressions are based on that.

EVF I find fine. The novelty of the tilt is actually of use I feel.
The eye cup though is possibly too small or at least feels it after being used the more traditional style on the X-T4. I am aware of the optional bigger version but intend to see how things go before I spend on that.
I also need to be mindful of a possible delay between eye sensor reacting and turning LCD off and fully placing eye to EVF. I moved the focus point with my nose a couple of times before I realised what was happening!

The LCD seems perfectly good enough based on todays brief use. I have also got but not fitted a screen protector as I am more used to he fully articulating hide it away screen on the X-T4 and want to protect this one more.

Everything falls nicely to hand dials wise but buttons I obviously have no muscle memory for yet so had to keep looking.

Just need to set everything up 'properly' now. Lots of settings and terms to understand.

All in all I am feeling pretty pleased with the purchase and feel it's going to perfectly fill the hole I wanted it to fill.

Anyway. A picture, because it would be rude not too really, right?!

Pylon.jpg by Lost_Manc, on Flickr

I did take more of course but just liking this the most.

One little point I did notice. DxO doesn't have the camera profiles such as vivid and Monochrome-D but LRc does. as I generally do Lens corrections and NR in DxO then send to LRc to finish its no big issue but just something I noticed today.

And once again. Thanks to all who participated in my questions. I hope you are ready for more :ROFLMAO:

EVF I find fine. The novelty of the tilt is actually of use I feel...

All in all I am feeling pretty pleased with the purchase and feel it's going to perfectly fill the hole I wanted it to fill.

Good stuff and a great picture there :D

I used to find the tilting EVF good when taking people pictures as you can angle it up and look down into it and if you want to look up again the camera isn't obscuring your face which is IMO much better for interaction with the subject.

Last edited:
Super pic from the GX9. That little 12-32mm is an incredible lens. I'm often amazed at the sharp, detailed images it provides on my GX80

Good stuff and a great picture there :D

I used to find the tilting EVF good when taking people pictures as you can angle it up and look down into it and if you want to look up again the camera isn't obscuring your face which is IMO much better for interaction with the subject.
Cheers Alan.

Yeah that’s a good use case for the tilting EVF. Will keep that in mind.

Super pic from the GX9. That little 12-32mm is an incredible lens. I'm often amazed at the sharp, detailed images it provides on my GX80
Cheers Dave.

Yes. Seems a decent little lens. A focus ring would be nice but then it would be bigger so trade offs I guess.

Something I meant to add in my 1st post today regarding receiving the GX9.

A complaint/disappointment of sorts.

The kit doesn’t come with a rear lens cap or body cap. I found that a surprise really. Yet we get a plug to go with the usb cable. I’d have preferred the caps tbh.

Anyway. I guess it’s another case of saving money and keeping costs down.

Looking online I believe I need part VFC4605 for the lens and DMW-BDC1 for the body.

DMW-BDC1 seems to be out of stock everywhere though. Is there any reason VKF4971 wouldn’t fit? It fits the GX7 & 8 but apparently not the 9. Is there some slight differences does anyone know.

As an alternative to the genuine caps. Any recommendations on copies from Amazon or such.

Cheers.

You can get a 3rd party rear+body cap cheaply (£2.99 incl. postage) from eBay. Just search for "Body & Rear camera lens Cap fits Panasonic Lumix & Olympus MICRO 4/3"

Something I meant to add in my 1st post today regarding receiving the GX9.

A complaint/disappointment of sorts.

The kit doesn’t come with a rear lens cap or body cap. I found that a surprise really. Yet we get a plug to go with the usb cable. I’d have preferred the caps tbh.

Anyway. I guess it’s another case of saving money and keeping costs down.

Looking online I believe I need part VFC4605 for the lens and DMW-BDC1 for the body.

DMW-BDC1 seems to be out of stock everywhere though. Is there any reason VKF4971 wouldn’t fit? It fits the GX7 & 8 but apparently not the 9. Is there some slight differences does anyone know.

As an alternative to the genuine caps. Any recommendations on copies from Amazon or such.

Cheers.
Look on Ali express, I just bought 10 sets (body cap and rear lens cap) for less than £8 and they arrived in a week.
You will always need more in the future.
I have not seen a camera sold without a body cap before, and usually the lens comes with a cap. Sellers choice.

Edit: It was actually £6.83 for ten sets https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...o.order_list.order_list_main.5.310f18024cuxH7

1674189650098.png

Attachments

• 1674189577138.png
    1674189577138.png
    70.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
You can get a 3rd party rear+body cap cheaply (£2.99 incl. postage) from eBay. Just search for "Body & Rear camera lens Cap fits Panasonic Lumix & Olympus MICRO 4/3"
Cool. Will have a look.

I have not seen a camera sold without a body cap before, and usually the lens comes with a cap. Sellers choice.
It is brand new and sealed from Wex. The kit it seems doesn’t come with any caps.
Lens was already attached in the box. And according to contents everything was present and correct. So it seems like he kits don’t get caps whereas body only or lens only would have to protect.

It’s not the end of the world but it’s certainly not what I expected or have experienced previously wort other cameras.

Cheers. Will have a look. Although not sure I want 10 sets!

——

Whilst I’m here. Any opinions on batteries. Genuine vs non?

I didn’t pick up a spare intent being to carry my portable power pack and top up if needed but I’m thinking I may get a spare for ease.

What’s peoples experiences. I know in Fuji land most are strongly against anything but genuine. Is the feeling the same this side?

Look on Ali express, I just bought 10 sets (body cap and rear lens cap) for less than £8 and they arrived in a week.
You will always need more in the future.

Edit: It was actually £6.83 for ten sets https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...o.order_list.order_list_main.5.310f18024cuxH7

View attachment 379070
I had a GX80 and 12-32 kit, that definitely didn't come with a body or rear lens cap either.

I had a GX80 and 12-32 kit, that definitely didn't come with a body or rear lens cap either.
I haven't bought any brand new Panasonic kits, so I can believe it, odd as it seems.
I have bought brand new Pentax and Canon kits, and they all came with all caps.

Cool. Will have a look.

It is brand new and sealed from Wex. The kit it seems doesn’t come with any caps.
Lens was already attached in the box. And according to contents everything was present and correct. So it seems like he kits don’t get caps whereas body only or lens only would have to protect.

It’s not the end of the world but it’s certainly not what I expected or have experienced previously wort other cameras.

——

I didn’t pick up a spare intent being to carry my portable power pack and top up if needed but I’m thinking I may get a spare for ease.

What’s peoples experiences. I know in Fuji land most are strongly against anything but genuine. Is the feeling the same this side?
You can choose how many sets you want, from 1 upwards.

I have never bought genuine batteries, and have never had any problems.
I choose brands that have been around a while and avoid "Golden Sunshine" and "White Elephant" type brands :) And I am suspect of the ones that claim a very high capacity and avoid them.

I did buy non genuine batteries until an ex pro got so swollen I coulkdn't remove it from my X-E1
In the end superglued a piece of plastic to it and pulled it out like that.
Some say their White batteries have overheat protection, but not about to risk it

Only other one was a Hahnel that came with a G80 I bought secondhand.
Used it a couple of times and seemed ok, but only have genuine ones now for my G9 and GX9

Not keen on the two pronged generic usb or mains chargers either.
These do not use the T contact between + and - that monitors temperature when charging

Last edited:
Cool. Will have a look.

——

I would prefer genuine batteries, but I do use 3rd party - as long as they’re not too cheap. In the distant past I have had one or two swell slightly, but not recently. I used to prefer Ex-Pro, but am having difficulty finding them these days. Even their own web site does not list the modelc of cameras I own.

@Lost_Manc I could probably put together a collection of bits you might need

End and body caps, charger with 2 x Ex Pro batteries and extended eye cup

You can choose how many sets you want, from 1 upwards.
Useful to know. I have never used them before.
@Lost_Manc I could probably put together a collection of bits you might need

End and body caps, charger with 2 x Ex Pro batteries and extended eye cup
Could be interested in the caps and eye cup but for battery I think for now I will see how I get on with using the power pack.

——

Had a look in the manual in the box today, had only been looking at the full pdf, and that seems to be worded in a way that you would expect the caps to be present. Possibly a mid/late change to production/package that hasn’t been reflected in the enclosed documents.

Also states that VFC4605 is a suitable body cap so I’m assuming that DMW-BDC1 is again a later change and what’s recommended going forward.

Useful to know. I have never used them before.

Could be interested in the caps and eye cup but for battery I think for now I will see how I get on with using the power pack.

——

Had a look in the manual in the box today, had only been looking at the full pdf, and that seems to be worded in a way that you would expect the caps to be present. Possibly a mid/late change to production/package that hasn’t been reflected in the enclosed documents.

Also states that VFC4605 is a suitable body cap so I’m assuming that DMW-BDC1 is again a later change and what’s recommended going forward.
Any body cap from any m4/3 camera would do. Ebay is your best bet, as previously mentioned.

Any body cap from any m4/3 camera would do. Ebay is your best bet, as previously mentioned.
Oh yeah. I accept that.
My point was just that the manual contradicts or at blest states differently to Panasonics website.

I will sort something either with @tijuana taxi or eBay/Amazon.
It’s not a major rush as imo only have one lens and it won’t be coming off just yet. More thinking forwards.

Oh yeah. I accept that.
My point was just that the manual contradicts or at blest states differently to Panasonics website.

I will sort something either with @tijuana taxi or eBay/Amazon.
It’s not a major rush as imo only have one lens and it won’t be coming off just yet. More thinking forwards.
Probably best to get them from Ebay.
I might package the lot up and get shot of them in one hit on the classifieds

Back