Panasonic Lumix LX7 Thread

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
OK I have just got home and have taken a few shots in the garden to see what this new Lumix LX7 is really like. I took a few at work after charging the battery and looking at those I can tell straight away that this camera is good! I took a shot of my work pal and the detail in his face, hair and beard was very impressive. The LX7 looks just like the LX5 but with a few subtle differences. The aperture ring is the main thing you notice and the lens element is different also. Setting the camera up was a doddle and it was nice to see some features that i will really want to use. For example the S90/S95 and S100 all have step focal lengths so you can shoot in the most common focal lengths that full frame cameras with primes will shoot like 24mm, 35mm etc etc. This feature is in the LX7 which I'm really happy about. The built in ND filter works really well. I took 2 shots, one with and one without the ND filter and the images looked exactly the same except that the shutter was reduced from 1600th in the first to 200th in the second with the filter on. The detail for a compact and general IQ so far has impressed me and once i have mastered this camera it should produce some great quality images. I have only shot in Jpg at factory settings and will try the RAW later but for now I'm a happy bunny!

Last edited:
Andy - nice little review.

I'm thinking of getting an LX7. I think the image quality will be sufficient for my needs and having a fast lens throughout the focal range should help keep ISOs low in poor light. Have you tried out the video capabilities yet? I am interested in how smooth the zoom action is, and how quick the continuous AF reacts when you move to different subjects. I'm also wondering whether the lens automatically uses the widest aperture for video when required, i.e. in poor light, to keep the noise levels down. Are there any manual controls at all for video (I suspect not)?

Also, can I ask what kind of case you keep it in? I want something as small as possible!

Last edited:
Andy - nice little review.

I'm thinking of getting an LX7. I think the image quality will be sufficient for my needs and having a fast lens throughout the focal range should help keep ISOs low in poor light. Have you tried out the video capabilities yet? I am interested in how smooth the zoom action is, and how quick the continuous AF reacts when you move to different subjects. I'm also wondering whether the lens automatically uses the widest aperture for video when required, i.e. in poor light, to keep the noise levels down. Are there any manual controls at all for video (I suspect not)?

Also, can I ask what kind of case you keep it in? I want something as small as possible!

Hi

I never do video so can't help you there. I ordered the same case as the LX5 when I ordered the camera. It has yet to arrive. I did notice on the panasonic website that there is a dedicated leather case for the LX6 which looks the same but has a different part number. I'm hoping the LX5 case will be OK for the LX7!

What does the lx7 offer over the gx1 andy?

http://j.mp/UVMN7U

Doesn't seem to be much in it when using the p14 or p20 pancakes :shrug:

Edit: Oh it's a zoom lens I see

Last edited:
What does the lx7 offer over the gx1 andy?

http://j.mp/UVMN7U

Doesn't seem to be much in it when using the p14 or p20 pancakes :shrug:

Edit: Oh it's a zoom lens I see

Do you still have your LX7 Andy? I am considering ditching the CSC and going for a posh compact. Have you still got some shots on your flickr?

Ta

Bought a new Panasonic LX7 P&S to replace the little Canon S95 that was stolen, almost 2 years ago now.

First impressions
Compared to my LX3.
Much quicker focus, even in poor light. Less shutter lag.
High(er) ISO noise is significantly lower, 1 may be 1.5 stops
Lens is great, nice contrast, great colours.
Longer at the tele end.
Many more art modes.
Better LCD screen, in terms of colour fidelity and contrast in sunlight.
Image stabilisation seems to be better.
Video is much better quality and you can zoom whilst filming !

Don't like the jpg engine so much though, seems to produce jaggies and artefacts much more readily. Need to fiddle about with it more.
Exposure comp needs more button pressing. Seems to have lost the ability to take 3 photos automatically one after the other with different "film".

Love the form factor. Didn't get on with the S95, couldn't hold it steady and I hated the auto pop up flash.

I considered the Sony RX100, but bought the LX7. Mainly because I prefer the feel of the LX7 in my hands. The RX100 reminded me too much of the S95.

I love the results at the macro level, not macro as in tiny details, but the overall look and feel - the big picture.

Some photos from my LX7
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fstorm68/sets/72157632137358929/

Do you still have your LX7 Andy? I am considering ditching the CSC and going for a posh compact. Have you still got some shots on your flickr?

Ta

Sorry for the long delay Alan

Yes I still have it and am loving it. It is not quite as good as M4/3 but in the world of compacts it def does a damn good job. It is feature packed and the IQ for such a small sensor is pretty decent providing you don't crop too much or print really big. Having f1.4 is nice and it works really well in macro mode. It's just a tad better for IQ than the LX5 but is different enough to go for one if you have a LX3. Not much point in upgrading if you already own a LX5. The built in ND filter works well and it's an easy camera to get to grips with. Lots of stuff on it to play with! Look at the Sony RX100 too!!!!!

Low light

LX7 Newport Isle Of Wight by andywest1, on Flickr

Last edited:
AndyWest said:
Sorry for the long delay Alan

Yes I still have it and am loving it. It is no where near as good as M4/3 but in the world of compacts it def does a damn good job. It is feature packed and the IQ for such a small sensor is pretty decent providing you don't crop too much or print really big. Having f1.4 is nice and it works really well in macro mode. It's just a tad better for IQ than the LX5 but is different enough to go for one if you have a LX3. Not much point in upgrading if you already own a LX5. The built in ND filter works well and it's an easy camera to get to grips with. Lots of stuff on it to play with!

Here are some shots......

Macro..
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/8316536911/
LX7 Macro by andywest1, on Flickr

Another macro...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/8127141588/
LX7 Red Yellow by andywest1, on Flickr

Lots of nice detail...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/8121369056/
LX7 Portsmouth by andywest1, on Flickr

Low light

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/8121354227/
LX7 Newport Isle Of Wight by andywest1, on Flickr

Alan's purchased a Sony RX100 now :D

Nice shots though Andy, looks like you've been local to me too, Portsmouth

Last edited:
Alan's purchased a Sony RX100 now :D

Nice shots though Andy, looks like you've been local to me too, Portsmouth

:LOL:

Thanks, I'm thinking of getting a RX100 too, looks very good. I'll take some test shots at work and see how good the files are. I like the idea of 20Mpxls rather than 10!

Last edited:
AndyWest said:
:LOL:

Thanks, I'm thinking of getting a RX100 too, looks very good. I'll take some test shots at work and see how good the files are. I like the idea of 20Mpxls.

It's a lovely little camera, really like mine ;)

Still some cracking shots you got here from the LX7

It's a lovely little camera, really like mine ;)

Still some cracking shots you got here from the LX7

Thanks very much.

I'm not sure getting a RX100 as well as having the LX7 is a good idea unless the RX is significantly better than the LX7??? Then the RX would stay but i really like the LX. 24mm wide angle is great and it's a lovely camera to use. I'll prob just stick with the LX...after all it what you do with the camera that counts........ and it was free! Whoop!

I started a LX7 group on Flickr a while back if anyone is interested..... http://www.flickr.com/groups/1915414@N21/

Last edited:
Hi folks.

I'm currently trying to decide between an LX7 and an RX100 to take a step up from my S90.

I do a fair bit of motorcycle touring and don't like carrying my DSLR on the bike. Low light capability and pocketability are important to me. As is IQ of course.

TIA for any advice.

I've just had a text to say Digitalrev have mailed mine, so I will be adding to this thread soon. Very excited!

Hi folks.

I'm currently trying to decide between an LX7 and an RX100 to take a step up from my S90.

I do a fair bit of motorcycle touring and don't like carrying my DSLR on the bike. Low light capability and pocketability are important to me. As is IQ of course.

TIA for any advice.

Well, after a bit of searching I found a few threads on these cameras. Didn't help, still a toss of a coin, but I eventually decided to order an LX7 (y)

I reckon if the decision is that difficult I can't be far wrong either way :)

I don't think you can go far wrong with the LX7 or RX100, I tried both and liked them a lot. We opted for the RX100 mostly because we'd had an LX3 before and fancied trying a different manufacturer (we loved the LX3 by the way). It's been a great camera for us, constantly surprised how the quality of photos but the ones in this thread are fantastic so I really don't think there's a clear winner. From the comparisons I've read, the RX100 seems to come out on top slightly more often but that small lead is easily wiped out/reversed depending on the type of photos you're likely to take.

Well I've had the camera for a couple of days and while I haven't used it seriously yet I have been testing it in different lighting situations around the house and garden.
So far so good and a definite improvement over the S90 although that's a great little camera and has its uses so I won't get rid of it.

That blue bike looks like it's been painted with paint stolen from the local council :D

Whats the lx7 like for scenerys and cropping? Is it as versatle as the sony rx100?

Some Caribbean shots...

529208_10152560711720305_1819636877_n.jpg

404815_10152559839840305_109878509_n.jpg

480557_10152559854140305_846001653_n.jpg

72919_10152559851705305_837584244_n.jpg

And a little editing:

427241_564425963581442_1937089900_n.jpg

Have to say guys, the LX7 has been a gem for my first day in the Caribbean! Everything I need and more - really happy with this camera right now.

My D7000 is still in use but I tend to grab it now only when I need fast AF or longer focal lengths.

With the LX7 being so discreet I will take it anyway and as you all know about the IQ - I have absolutely no problems using it in any situation!

Lovely shots mate and stop rubbing it in! Its hammering down with snow here :puke:

Last edited:
Back