Panasonic Lumix LX7 Thread

Get it from digital rev- mine was from them at £270.

That sucks about your DSLR mate, right after getting the 105!

:shake:I know tell me about it..thought I was going to get away without selling but not to be sadly.Some things take priority I guess..on the upside I will have a nice compact regardless to keep me occupied until I can replace it.Still got a liking for that rx100 but not sure its worth the extra and every little counts right now!!!

When I was narrowing stuff down, I valued the faster lens over the improve IQ.

F2.3 vs F4.9...

yep appreciate that mate..also seems like the macro mode is much better on the lx7,not so hot on the sony.

Looks good,that second one is almost 3d with the blocks like that

:thinking:Thought I was going to go for the rx100 then looked back through this thread and undecided yet again:LOL: My dslr has gone now so need to make a decision as I hate not having a camera.

Within the next month I will have to choose between an LX7 or an X10, what are the file sizes like for Jpegs please? I print to A3 and sadly I am lazy at pp and would prefer the minimum time required except the basics, I do like the panoramic and other in camera features offered on these 2 cameras, would they print ok at A3? Is the vertical banding a major issue and does it show on prints?. Sorry for the ramble, regards.

Quick point re the panoramics. Rather than shoot in panorama mode, I'd set it to shoot a 16x9 shape image. Much better quality.

Ok that sounds a good idea thanks, how are the file sizes in Jpegs please? and do they restrict printing Ricardoforce? Oh your pics are stunning and what great light you have! I blame you for making we want one you know!

Ok that sounds a good idea thanks, how are the file sizes in Jpegs please? and do they restrict printing Ricardoforce? Oh your pics are stunning and what great light you have! I blame you for making we want one you know!

Mine are between 4 and 9 mb. To be honest I've yet to print an LX7 image, but I really can't see any concern over printing to A3.
Thanks for your comments, and you're right, I am very lucky with the light. :)

Thanks again for reply, you may have just convinced me!, with regard to the printing aspect my sister has a framing and gallery/shop so at least I have that advantage despite the shocking weather and light at the moment here. regards.

Ricardo have you ever had chance to compare it against the sony?

The price draws me to the lx7 Phil along with its 1.4 lens and slightly better macro capabilities.The rx100 appeals for its size slightly larger sensor and reportedly better IQ.I also like a few of its features and its fast af.

Ricardo - I'm jealous of your location ;-) Very pretty, great light.

When I bought my LX7 I also considered the RX100. Overall I preferred the ergonomics of the LX7, I found it much easier to hold the LX7 steady, compared with the RX100, which I found quite slippery. My previous p&s was a LX3, apart from the poor battery life (tired batteries), it's still going strong.

Compared to my LX3.
Much quicker focus, even in poor light. Less shutter lag.
High(er) ISO noise is significantly lower, 1 may be 1.5 stops
Lens is great, nice contrast, great colours.
Longer at the tele end.
Many more art modes.
Better LCD screen, in terms of colour fidelity and contrast in sunlight.
Image stabilisation seems to be better.
Video is much better quality and you can zoom whilst filming !

Don't like the noise reduction, can be intrusive under some circumstances.

I love the results at the macro level, not macro as in tiny details, but the overall look and feel - the big picture. For the RX100, the micro detail is there, but I think it looses out a little when looking at big picture.

Last edited:
The price draws me to the lx7 Phil along with its 1.4 lens and slightly better macro capabilities.The rx100 appeals for its size slightly larger sensor and reportedly better IQ.I also like a few of its features and its fast af.

After owning the LX7 I would say don't worry too much about sensor size, it's got such fast, sharp optics, there's not many scenes I would NEED my DSLR over it.

Could be just right place right time but the best shot of my life was taken on this bad boy :p

I don't think you can go wrong with either, for me though, the LX7 ticked more boxes.

Perhaps have a look at the features of both and write down what you really like, Happy to see and not happy with, the more ticks in really like and less in not happy with columns is the camera for you :)

Cheers Phil..I have been mulling this one for quite a while but now the dslr has gone I need something asap.I dont shoot much low light which was one reason I leaned towards the lx7 but do want ultimate IQ which I feel the rx would give me.I have read numerous threads and gone dizzy with info.there was a good thread on dpreview with a guy that shot both out on the street,he preferred IQ from the sony but enjoyed shooting the lx7 more..seems the sony can be "fiddly" to say the least where as the lx7 is very well laid out.

Cheers Phil..I have been mulling this one for quite a while but now the dslr has gone I need something asap.I dont shoot much low light which was one reason I leaned towards the lx7 but do want ultimate IQ which I feel the rx would give me.I have read numerous threads and gone dizzy with info.there was a good thread on dpreview with a guy that shot both out on the street,he preferred IQ from the sony but enjoyed shooting the lx7 more..seems the sony can be "fiddly" to say the least where as the lx7 is very well laid out.

I'm sure once the RAWs are edited there's would be little between them... I can't say based on experience of the song but it does have 20mp to it's slightly larger sensor... the bottom line is going to come down to optical quality and the LX7 is a very strong contender on this one.

I would love to try an rx100 for a day to see what all the big deal is about.

I would also love to try them side by side mate..My local shop has the lx7 but not the sony plus it seems to have gone up a bit in price!:puke: £480 now at wex £450 at castle cameras but they said they wont deliver to me and have to go in store to purchase!:thinking::cautious:

For me the attractive price at Digital Rev is winning me over, must be close between the two and also considering the Fuji x10 which has a happy following on here. Difficult choice indeed.

I,m still hooked on the Lx7 myself.........its all making sense the more I think about it.

The 100fps video interests me could be fun with the dogs and also the snakes feeding.:D

Just used mine at my son's wedding and very, very happy with the results(y)

The DSLR stayed in the bag. I couldn't really use it as I was 'top table' and had a role to play:)

Only problem I had was that all the available light shots late in the evening were crap. Discovered the next day that somehow the 3 stop ND filter button had been pressed and a mixture of booze and my eyesight meant I didn't notice :bonk: And it wasn't me, honest :whistle:

Last edited:
The 100fps video interests me could be fun with the dogs and also the snakes feeding.:D

Just reading up on the RX100. There's a few things about it that I wouldn't like, just read a bits bus thus far:

-aperture ring doesn't click.
-ae bracketing is maximum 0.7 stops.
-no switch for pop up flash but will come on when it is activated via a button.

The aeb is quite a big deal for me as I'm always using it for my HDR shots and I can easily get handheld bracketing strangely enough without any movement. Either something going on very good with the LX7 or my steadiness is topnotch...

Realised we don't have many high ISO shots...

Here's some:

ISO1600
205254_10152688770175305_1601249570_n.jpg

392785_10152688770295305_711564026_n.jpg

205254_10152688770215305_1604023406_n.jpg

482180_10152688770355305_335579257_n.jpg

ISO3200
734464_10152688771490305_1071590004_n.jpg

Not bad by my standards. The softness was due to the lens being wide open - think it yields better results stopping down a bit a raising the ISO before stopping down completely for exposure purposes.

That go me wanting to see what I can do with the LX7 so had a quick go.

ISO1600, stopped down to f2.8 (down 1 stop from FL).

SOOC:
601584_10152689024640305_391286410_n.jpg

Little bit of selective sharpening & NR from RAW:
304301_10152689024655305_459727359_n.jpg

I can now say conclusively that I am more than happy to shoot at ISO1600 and will shoot at 3200 if needed (with a mind to put a lot of effort in PP).

Nice Phil...what filter kits are there out there for it?What sort of price would an adaptor and decent nd filter cost.

Here's a couple of shots from my son's wedding last weekend. I know the focus on the second isn't ideal but I like it :)

Pity I lost the 3 stops at the end of the evening because of the errant ND filter but the pics were very acceptable as a record of the day.

Great shots at 1600 Phil(y)

Best Man Sam by dggriff, on Flickr

8544991947_aae3b88a31_b.jpg
[/url]
Kat & Lyd by dggriff, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back