Panasonic LX100

Decided to purchase my third LX100 after trying various Sony RX100 Fuji X30 etc It can't be beaten as an all in one and backup to my main camera.
What was it you didn't like about the X30?
I have an LX100 but am thinking of ditching it for the X30 as I dislike electronic zooms.

What was it you didn't like about the X30?
I have an LX100 but am thinking of ditching it for the X30 as I dislike electronic zooms.

Don't get me wrong the X30 is still a good camera and maybe I was expecting too much from it and comparing it to my main fuji system.

I did however find the images not as good as the lx100 which they wouldn't be as lx100 has a bigger sensor.

I preferred the controls on the lx100 as everything is there on the top plate like the XT fuji range which I am used to. The lx100 seemed to lock on quicker and I like the 4k video. I agree about the electric zoom as it seems to take ages and I did like a tilt screen as well but if I need to get low down I use the the camera app.

Is the x30 not an electric zoom too? But just switch from the lens barrel instead of a button?

Ah ok,
The lx100 does this way this electrics zooming when turning the barrel but i never use it. And i may ever have configurated it differently too!

A couple of months ago I bought a LX100 to supplement my Pentax DSLR's.
I've only just discovered this thread, and I look forward to learning and participating.
As of yet I've not used the LX very much, but here are a couple of images from a recent visit to a Japanese garden in Fort Worth, Texas.

Japanese Garden (2).jpg by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr

Japanese Garden (1).jpg by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr

Nothing special, I just like the statue.

Alas, poor Yorick !

1/200th, f5.6, ISO 200.

Alas, poor Yorick! (1).jpg

Last edited:
On a recent holiday in Texas my wife and I did a road trip north through New Mexico into Colorado.
We stayed in Durango and took a steam train journey on The Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Steam Railway into the Rockies to an old mining town called Silverton.
Just a few images captured on my LX100. Thanks for looking.

P1010105-2.jpg by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr

P1010116-2-Edit.jpg by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr

P1010100-2.jpg by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr

On a recent holiday in Texas my wife and I did a road trip north through New Mexico into Colorado.
We stayed in Durango and took a steam train journey on The Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Steam Railway into the Rockies to an old mining town called Silverton.
Just a few images captured on my LX100. Thanks for looking.

P1010105-2.jpg by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr

P1010116-2-Edit.jpg by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr

P1010100-2.jpg by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr

Love the first and second! Cracking color and framing, not too hot on the third, thinks it's just a tad washed out

Love the first and second! Cracking color and framing, not too hot on the third, thinks it's just a tad washed out

Yes, I do agree - it's my own fault because I reduced the saturation in pp!

Personally I like the more natural look, the first one just doesn't look natural to me.

Personally I like the more natural look, the first one just doesn't look natural to me.

That's interesting - that's exactly as I remember it - the fall colours were amazing.
All down to personal preference, I suppose?

I've been going around amazed at the colours of the leaves lately. I think nature has overdone the saturation a bit.

That's interesting - that's exactly as I remember it - the fall colours were amazing.
Surely it's "fall colors" or "autumn colours"? Or have I been reading the pedants "Trivial annoyances" thread too much.

Last edited:
Well if it's accurate then it's accurate, to me it looks way over processed... but I wasn't there :D

Occasionally still use my LX100 (as I rarely get time for camera stuff) but tried a little experiment today. Taken using the Dynamic B&W filter and transferred direct to phone for minor edits and uploading. Looks a little lower quality so will be interested to compare against a version using a more usual workflow..

Untitled by Gary Smith, on Flickr

Last edited:
Looking at some of the fantastic images on this thread is making me think I should dust down my LX100 and use it much more.

Thanks to previous posters for some inspirational images.

I have just gotten a x30 to scratch an old Fuji itch from a few years back. To be honest, I love it - I don't expect too much from it and it's destinctly Fuji, even with a small sensor. Lovely colours, quick AF, manual zoom etc blah

But I'm used to m43. So of course the x30 DR can't match m43 but I read a few horrors about the lx100. Oh, and it doesn't have a floppy screen which I've come to love and need.

So, should I change for IQ ?

You're right of course. And I told the wife the same

She flogged me

( not at a car boot but I liked it )

I have just gotten a x30 to scratch an old Fuji itch from a few years back. To be honest, I love it - I don't expect too much from it and it's destinctly Fuji, even with a small sensor. Lovely colours, quick AF, manual zoom etc blah

But I'm used to m43. So of course the x30 DR can't match m43 but I read a few horrors about the lx100. Oh, and it doesn't have a floppy screen which I've come to love and need.

So, should I change for IQ ?
Are you me in reverse? :p

...read a few horrors about the lx100. Oh, and it doesn't have a floppy screen which I've come to love and need.

Horrors? Like?

As to no floppy screen, true, but it does have an app that works with phones and tablets for remote viewing and control.

Mainly relating to dust. Of course for every tale of woe there'll be more with no issues

i have had my LX100 for about 18 months now and really enjoy its portability.
It is not pocket friendly unless wearing a jacket - anorak type. But I tend to carry it in a little Lowepro shoulder bag.
Last October we undertook a road trip from Washington DC down the Blue Ridge Parkway, calling at a ranch for a couple of nights and ending in Nashville for 5 nights. Then the longish ride back to stay at a vineyard in Virginia and finally 2 nights in Washington.
Because we were moving on and wanted to travel light, even though in a car, I decided to take the LX rather than a dslr and myriad bits and pieces.
Generally I was happy with the choice. It felt good to be ambling around with such a lightweight piece.

It misses focus now and again, it seems to generally err on the side of underexposure and some detail can be lost with 'smearing'.
But for such a camera it handles low light in indoor shots pretty well, which is something that my previous compacts have been terrible at.

I have posted some shots of various situations at my Flickr page at :
https://www.flickr.com/photos/92478278@N04/albums/72157679184559561

All are jpgs with basic pp adjustment of exposure, highlights, shadows and colour and cropping.

Just a couple of examples:

1 Mabry Mill

P1070374 by Superpippo0547, on Flickr

2 Afton Mountain Vineyard

P1080137 by Superpippo0547, on Flickr

3 Jefferson Memorial

P1080233 by Superpippo0547, on Flickr

4 Music store

P1070892 by Superpippo0547, on Flickr

5. Station Inn Nashville

P1070851 by Superpippo0547, on Flickr

Last edited:
Afternoon everyone, just got into TP after being pointed here by @damianmkv . I've had an LX100 for about a year. I find the quality of the images to be pretty high at up to 800 ISO, and occasionally 1600. For photos with lots of foliage it is actually really good - no smearing and very sharp details. However I really wish it had a) a better viewfinder and b) a manual zoom - or at least a more responsive power zoom. In fact if there was an X30 (X40?) with the M43 sensor and a 24mm wider end that might just be my perfect camera :)

However I really wish it had a) a better viewfinder and b) a manual zoom - or at least a more responsive power zoom. In fact if there was an X30 (X40?) with the M43 sensor and a 24mm wider end that might just be my perfect camera :)
I can live with the EVF but hate the electronic zoom. Such a shame Fuji gave up on an X40 and made a X100-lite instead.

I love the lx100. As said maybe if it was a bit slimmer and fit more a pocket.
But love the ergonomic, albeit the electronic zoom which is very slow! I've set mine to remember how far it was zoom in before it was shut down instead of reset to widest. I find it help a bit.

I can live with the EVF but hate the electronic zoom. Such a shame Fuji gave up on an X40 and made a X100-lite instead.
Agreed. I think Fuji (driven by Sony no doubt) are concentrating on the 24mp plus APS-C market. They could do what everyone else does and buy the 20mp 1" sensor from Sony. That in an X30 body would be very attractive. But this is hijacking the LX100 thread :whistle:

... and b) a manual zoom - or at least a more responsive power zoom.

Try using the Control Ring. With the focus selector switch set to AF or AF macro in iA and AP modes the ring operates as the Step Zoom control. Look in Menu>Custom>Control Ring for options.

Try using the Control Ring. With the focus selector switch set to AF or AF macro in iA and AP modes the ring operates as the Step Zoom control. Look in Menu>Custom>Control Ring for options.
Oh I've tried that and didn't see any great difference in speed tbh.

Oh I've tried that and didn't see any great difference in speed tbh.

Me neither. You turn the ring, go and put the kettle on, come back. Oops, must have twisted it twice. Back one twist, go and write a light opera, check camera again. Oh, the little ones have run off.

I have owned and been enjoying my LX100 for some time now. However mine, like others I have read about, has succumb to the internal dust problem. I say dust, but among the three or four items that seem to have settled on the sensor there seems to be what resembles a large boulder and a chunk of tree!

I jest of course, but small dust motes I can cope with, but these larger items show up clearly from f8 and can even be seen at larger apertures, albeit quite blurred, if they happen to fall above the horizon or in a light area of the image.

My camera is of sufficient age to be well out of warranty. So what have others done to tackle this problem? I have heard of the vacuum cleaner method, but I can't say I like the thought of that. How much are Panasonic likely to charge me if I go the official route?

Such a shame. A really great little camera let down somewhat by it being rather fond of gobbling up dust!

Back