Panasonic LX100

Another question if people have a moment. I took a whole batch of photos yesterday and on getting home have found most of them do not look right. I think I inadvertently moved the AE dial on top of the camera without realising. The result is most of the photos look cold:

P1110874.JPG

P1110875.JPG

Can anyone confirm? I doubt I can correct it as I have no raw file?

Last edited:
Can you perhaps open the file as "camera raw"? I do this with files from cameras not able to take raw files, it may not be ideal but may be better than nothing.

A few seconds in camera raw and I managed to change wb...

Last edited:
Just a quick PS to the camera raw option...

If you can import your jpeg as camera raw you can then save it as a raw or DNG, or at least I can with CS5 and I managed to save these two examples as DNG's.

Hope it works for you.

I suppose it depends on the software. Try as I might (and I may have missed it) I can't see an obvious way to change wb in JPEG. There's colour balance and mixers and things and quite a few sliders... but I can't find a wb as such so not such an easy one click process. Unless I've missed it all these years which is possible :D

Personally I prefer the tools available in the raw converter I have, I find them much easier and quicker. WB is just one click and I don't have to worry about the order in which I do things which may possibly be an issue with jpeg processing.

Up to the op and good luck either way and I'll certainly have a longer and harder look to see if it is possible in my jpeg processor.

Last edited:
Oh. I'd assumed all serious photo editing programs would have WB adjustment. And my raw processor, Raw Therapee, works with jpegs, should I choose to go that route. If yours doesn't do those things, just install a program that does.

Last edited:
Another question if people have a moment. I took a whole batch of photos yesterday and on getting home have found most of them do not look right. I think I inadvertently moved the AE dial on top of the camera without realising. The result is most of the photos look cold:

P1110874.JPG

P1110875.JPG

Can anyone confirm? I doubt I can correct it as I have no raw file?
I don't think AE would change the colours/WB, my guess would be you've set the WB balance wrong, or auto WB was doing a really bad job. As above, if shooting RAW and simple WB change would sort it.

Oh. I'd assumed all serious photo editing programs would have WB adjustment. And my raw processor, Raw Therapee, works with jpegs, should I choose to go that route. If yours doesn't do those things, just install a program that does.
:D

CS5 does work with JPEG's but as I said, I personally find the raw converter tools quicker and easier to use.

I used a free release version (or rather versions) of Rawtherapee on and off for years but personally and for me although I hate to give Adobe any kudos CS5 seems to do a better/easier job for me and on my files.

Last edited:

Downloaded Raw Therapee and have been playing with the sliders. Thanks for the tip.

am seeing rumors of the LX200, taken from 43rumors...maybe a guesstimate at the moment of course

20-megapixel Live MOS sensor (from Sony)
DFD focusing to achieve focusing speed in 0.07 seconds.
Larger OLED viewfinder.
GX8 alike tiltable LCD.
Built-in ND filter.
Highest ISO 51200.
More filter effects.
Built-in flash.

am seeing rumors of the LX200, taken from 43rumors...maybe a guesstimate at the moment of course

20-megapixel Live MOS sensor (from Sony)
DFD focusing to achieve focusing speed in 0.07 seconds.
Larger OLED viewfinder.
GX8 alike tiltable LCD.
Built-in ND filter.
Highest ISO 51200.
More filter effects.
Built-in flash.
Well, in my view the built in flash and large viewfinder would be excellent.

Quick question that have been troubling me recently. I have done a lot of customisation on my LX100. One night I tried to take some long exposure shot but failed to go past 1sec. And I really can't see which of the setting have altered is affecting this.

After falling to take pictures (northern light) during the first nights. The second night i deactivated all my customization. Using no customisation and then i was able to go above 1sec.

I thought it might be the instant preview on the screen but this made no difference. Any idea?

Nobody?
Well i'll deep into the config and play with the setting until i get the bottom of this.

Have barely photographed anything this year and actually enjoyed using my LX100 more than my D90 today in a very rare outing, so am seriously considering switching to only this camera now - not sure if that's a good idea or not at the moment though !

Buckled by Gary Smith, on Flickr

If anyone fancies selling there LX100 I'm in the market for one

Been thinking of selling my x100s to get one of these just need some more convincing. :naughty:

Thanks Lee but I have one coming in the post

Can you please tell me about the LX100 you have for sale Lee ?

Hi, it's a silver one I bought in December from Panamoz. I haven't used it much, it's in mint as new condition. I put a high quality screen protector on it as soon as I took it out of the box.
Most of the bits in the box have not been opened. and it comes with a non oem spare battery. I can send you some pictures if you want. I decided I wanted an interchangeable lens system, hence the sale. I'd be looking for £350 for it including delivery.

Hi Lee,

Thank you, I will take this please at your asking price, I am assuming delivery is via RMSD ?
No need for pictures, your feedback has to be worth something !
Just give me an assurance that the camera is 100% performing to specifications ?

I have just had a thought, I guess we really need to conduct this through the Classified section ?

Roy

Hi Lee,

Thank you, I will take this please at your asking price, I am assuming delivery is via RMSD ?
No need for pictures, your feedback has to be worth something !
Just give me an assurance that the camera is 100% performing to specifications ?

I have just had a thought, I guess we really need to conduct this through the Classified section ?

Roy

Quite right, I've just posted it in the classifieds. Camera is in perfect working order and will be delivered RMSD.

Lee.

Very tempted as a second travel camera to back up my 6d. On my xf1, there are certain features that lock out settings - e.g. no long exposures as ISOs past a certain point -/the camera doesn't tell you this, it's counter intuitive and annoying. Does the LX100 have similar quirks?

It's either this or an x100s...!

Quick question that have been troubling me recently. I have done a lot of customisation on my LX100. One night I tried to take some long exposure shot but failed to go past 1sec. And I really can't see which of the setting have altered is affecting this.

After falling to take pictures (northern light) during the first nights. The second night i deactivated all my customization. Using no customisation and then i was able to go above 1sec.

I thought it might be the instant preview on the screen but this made no difference. Any idea?

So to answer my own question! And it took me some fiddling to find out.
So what can stop me from taking exposure longer that 1s. I first thought it would be the histogram display which cannot be calculated but no... I thought it could be the instant preview which couldn't be calculated but no... I try to change a lot of non relevant settings...
And then i finally find it. I use the camera in silent mode... which for a mysterious reason seems to stop me from taking long exposure. When i switch the silent mode off I can take long exposure again. I really don't understand why this would affect that but at least i find the how to solve my problem...

Last edited:
As someone who's arrived late to the LX100 party (last week!) how is it now for those of you who've been here since the beginning?

I am particularly interested in use of external audio recorders to be used in conjunction with the camera to improve video soundtracks.

Last edited:
When i switch the silent mode off I can take long exposure again. I really don't understand why this would affect that but at least i find the how to solve my problem...
Silent mode probably uses the electronic shutter and not the mechanical shutter. A range of functions can't be used in combination with the electronic shutter. We had this same puzzle over on the Olympus thread a while back. But not regarding a longer exposure. It was a limitation with the flash sync or something. It turns out the Olympus silent mode has a max ISO of 3200, slowest shutter is 1/8, and no TTL flash.

Last edited:
The biggest issue for me with the electronic shutter of my MFT cameras is banding under some artificial light. It's a killer and it ruins shots. If the same is true of the LX100 then that would limit the appeal of the electronic shutter for me.

If anyone fancies an LX100 I have mine up for sale. :)

Silent mode probably uses the electronic shutter and not the mechanical shutter. A range of functions can't be used in combination with the electronic shutter. We had this same puzzle over on the Olympus thread a while back. But not regarding a longer exposure. It was a limitation with the flash sync or something. It turns out the Olympus silent mode has a max ISO of 3200, slowest shutter is 1/8, and no TTL flash.
That would make some sort of sense!

Thought I would wake this thread up !

Still trying to get a decent LE with the LX100 - happy-ish with what I get but still think they could be better.

Inclined by Gary Smith, on Flickr

Am off to Copenhagen for a few days next week and have a very lightweight (on a hand luggage only flight) travel kit built around the LX100, so interested to see what I can do out there.

Have a camera, mini tripod, several filters and a tiny bag - should be fun !

Back