Panasonic LX100

Thanks guys, £399 looks tempting.

Has anyone used one compared to say, a GX7 and 20mm 1.7? On the used market they end up around the same price. I'm a prime shooter at heart so the restrictive focal length isn't a concern.

how do I post photo,s off flickr onto here,I have tried copy and paste url but it did not work

Last edited:
Can anyone help please after taking a shot at a particular setting then switching the camera off/on it returns to default settings,I have switched the menu resume to on

Sorted now by factory reset

Last edited:
Can anyone help please after taking a shot at a particular setting then switching the camera off/on it returns to default settings,I have switched the menu resume to on

Sorted now by factory reset
I don't have this specific camera but on other cameras there's often an option to reset certain things when the cameras off. Also, if you have presets saved it will always default to these settings when you turn it off (assuming you're in the preset mode)

yes,for example I set the colour to natural took a shot then switched the camera off,after switching back on, the colour went to default which was standard....I solved it by doing a reset which sets the camera back to original shipping conditions.....sorry for confision

I must say, I didn't really know what to expect with the little LX100, but I love the output from this little gem. The videos either in 4K or 1080P look stunning, and image quality from still sis not too shabby either. The fast lens sure does help when trying to get a little subject isolation.

Really liking this little camera. I think if it had a tilting touchscreen and a few more MP (say 16mp effective rather than 12), and a slightly longer zoom (say 100 or 120mm effective) it would be just about perfect, but none the less pretty good as is.

Can anyone comment on the quality of the video? Does it work well with auto focus in that it does not hunt constantly? Looking for something for the wife to use to capture our toddler running about and doing their usual shenanigans. Probably to be used in auto mode 90% of the time so want it to be just picked up and press record or snap away something in burst mode.

I have had that little camera for a couple of months now and i'm very impressed. Since I have taken 1500+ photo. I have had a lot of situation where I've been taking pictures without wanting to lug big and noisy camera, sometimes in some tricky lighting/situation. I went to skye for a week and add the opportunity to take some landscape pictures, following this I add a baby and used a lot the silent mode in pretty dark rooms and have taken a lot of family pictures.

I'm very impressed by this little camera. I don't know if it's my expectation which are lowered from not expecting too much from a "pocket" camera but i find the results between iso 1000 and iso 3200 to be very close to what i get from my canon 70d and i'm now even considering selling the 70d.

The only 2 things which are lacking compare to the 70D are the speed of autofocus for running nephews/wildlife and the possibility to put my 100-400mm lens for wildlife. For the rest i can't see much difference really!

After a month of use I have bought a little wrist strap and an automatic lens cap which really benefit well to this camera.
I also have played around with the setting and like to use:
-AE/AF button as a back button focus
-Fn 1 to move the focus point
-Fn 2 to select customisable preset

This camera is really packed with features (timelapse, extraction of picture from video, a good image stabilization, a lot of customization possible, different focus mode i've just been starting face detection for video of the baby and it's great!...), it has a bright optic f1.7 to f2.8 which can get some pretty nice shallow depth of field. It has a great size and it really good to use in semi-auto with compensation dial if needed.

So i just posted to say that for me it's a 9/10 mark for this camera, it surprised me and I really enjoy using it. I would recommend it to anyone that come from a dslr and want something more portable. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone just wanting a point and shoot, the customization and feature are way too advanced for that.

I remember commenting "whats the point of it" when this was announced, but now I find myself really wanting one. I've seen it for £350ish on some of the Chinese exporting sites. I have some gear to sell which should cover that.

What is Max apertures at 35 and 50mm equiv?

Last edited:
I remember commenting "whats the point of it" when this was announced, but now I find myself really wanting one. I've seen it for £350ish on some of the Chinese exporting sites. I have some gear to sell which should cover that.

What is Max apertures at 35 and 50mm equiv?

As I recall, it's f2.3 at 35 and f2.7 or 2.8 at 50 (I think..)

It's a lovely camera, and am impressed with mine - just need to find some time to use it again...

Trying to decide between this and the rx100 mark 3 at the mo any opinions?

Never seen a sony rx100 so my opinion is just based on the choice i did a few months ago.
- I liked the lx100 for the crop ratio available on the lens which i find is a really creative tool. I find it cool also how it maximise the sensor usage with the different crop, very clever)
- The size which is just a bit bigger and make it less of a point and shot (some would prefer the Sony for its smaller size).
- The viewfinder (am i right to think the mark 4 has an integrated viewfinder but not the mark 3).

Then two more think i like is that it can focus pretty quickly and i guess the (much) larger sensor helps getting shallower depth of field.

Last edited:
The mk3 does have an EVF.

Either way, both the LX100 and RX100iii are great cameras. I'm not sure why Sony went for a long thin sensor shape though.

Last edited:
- I liked the lx100 for the crop ratio available on the lens which i find is a really creative tool. I find it cool also how it maximise the sensor usage with the different crop, very clever)

Am I right in thinking that it never uses the full m4/3 sensor though regardless of mode?

Yes. At best it shaves a bit off the m43 size. Which is fine. As the lens coverage is optimised for that. But a round or square sensor would have been better.

Well my LX100 performed very well on the New York trip I'd bought it for (had a Canon S120 previously, but wanted something with more accessible controls)

The extra bulk (compared to the S120) wasn't much of a problem - I just wore it on my neck, tucked in to my jacket to keep it from bouncing around. Wish I'd spent a bit more time on many of my shots, for perspective and angles though - good old hindsight :)

Here's a few snaps..
Manhattan Skyline by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

Grand Central Terminal by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

Propeller, USS Intrepid by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

Bryant Park Skaters by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

Last edited:
Well my LX100 performed very well on the New York trip I'd bought it for (had a Canon S120 previously, but wanted something with more accessible controls)

The extra bulk (compared to the S120) wasn't much of a problem - I just wore it on my neck, tucked in to my jacket to keep it from bouncing around. Wish I'd spent a bit more time on many of my shots, for perspective and angles though - good old hindsight :)

Here's a few snaps..
Manhattan Skyline by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

Grand Central Terminal by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

Propeller, USS Intrepid by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

Bryant Park Skaters by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

Lovely set of images I do miss my LX100

Trying to decide between this and the rx100 mark 3 at the mo any opinions?
I have both and as I think I have said before

IQ: Sony RX100 hands down!!
Handling: LX100

If you want to do a lot of landscape then don't get the LX100 as it seems to have an issue with IQ with stuff far away. People (and me) are reporting 'mushy' detail in landscape shots. Close up stuff it's very good.

If you get the RX then get the Sony stick on grip, it makes a big difference!

Thanks Andy I picked up a mark 2 rx100 for £175 the other week and it had the sony grip on already,makes it much nicer to handle I agree.

I have both and as I think I have said before

IQ: Sony RX100 hands down!!
Handling: LX100

If you want to do a lot of landscape then don't get the LX100 as it seems to have an issue with IQ with stuff far away. People (and me) are reporting 'mushy' detail in landscape shots. Close up stuff it's very good.

If you get the RX then get the Sony stick on grip, it makes a big difference!

Hmmm, i haven't notice this in any way, i have done a few landscape using the wider end in skye were i was totally blown away by the amount of detail for such a small camera. What i think look pretty muchy and soft if object far away when shooting at 85mm. I keep wanting to put some exemple up of were this little camera has impressed me i.e. some landscape and some taken indoor at 2000/2500 iso in difficult lightning that were totally usable and sometime pretty good.

Hmmm, i haven't notice this in any way, i have done a few landscape using the wider end in skye were i was totally blown away by the amount of detail for such a small camera. What i think look pretty muchy and soft if object far away when shooting at 85mm. I keep wanting to put some exemple up of were this little camera has impressed me i.e. some landscape and some taken indoor at 2000/2500 iso in difficult lightning that were totally usable and sometime pretty good.
It may be that some of us have a less than perfect copies. :( lol

I admit that I did some close up images and they were bloody brilliant!

Last edited:
Hi,
Has anyone purchased a non Panasonic battery for their LX100? Have you experienced any issues?

I did not own my LX100 long enough to buy spares - so can't comment on that. But I have used 3rd party batteries for my GF1, GX1, LX5 and my current GX8. Apart from having shorter life that the real thing, I have not had any issues - but then I am not a heavy user - seem to be far too busy with life....
The brands I can recall were Hahnel, DSTE and ExPro. I avoided the cheapest and went for those in a mid price range....

EDIT: I just remembered - on a few occasions, Wilkinson Cameras and SRS Microsystems have sold genuine Panasonic batteries on Ebay for approx 50% off the price e.g. £25-£30. I know there are plenty of fakes on Ebay but these guys are reputable authorised retailers so I took the risk and the batteries were fine.

Last edited:
Thanks Harry - going to chance it.
Personally I would get some from Amazon UK (fulfilled by Amazon) and then test them out thoroughly within the 1st 20-25 days - If no good you can return with relative ease back to Amazon within the 30 day period.
I am using DSTE branded for my GX8 at the moment. I got the package deal with 2 batteries and a charger. I like the charger because it comes with a 12v cable as well as mains cable - so I can charge in the car - useful for a long day out and about (when eventually manage to make time!!). The batteries I would say last 2/3rd as long as the genuine one - but given the price difference I can live with that.

Back