Panic buying !

Status
Not open for further replies.
It won’t be two weeks though, lots of reports now that people are getting it fully recovering and then getting it again a short time later.
Wouldn’t be shocked to see that 2 weeks being extended to much longer.
Agreed, I heard that too.
But I still don't see the need to buy 100 + rolls per shop. As this is not even one of the symptoms.
Cough medicines, decongestants etc I could understand but bog roll?
As for the "hand cleaners" Did no one actually wash their hands before all this started?
I guess not :(

Also you must be doing it wrong you are allowed to use more than one sheet at a time.
I thought you had to use both sides to save the trees?

:D

I nipped into our local Aldi last night, they had run out of lots of things. I ended up going to Tesco afterwards and their wine shelves had taken a hit but everything else seemed okay :LOL:

Agreed, I heard that too.
But I still don't see the need to buy 100 + rolls per shop. As this is not even one of the symptoms.
Cough medicines, decongestants etc I could understand but bog roll?
As for the "hand cleaners" Did no one actually wash their hands before all this started?
I guess not :(

Me and the missus have always used hand sanitisers, for many years. The missus has always been in a wheelchair all her adult life, her hands touch the rim of the wheels getting filthy. Not nice when people spit on the floor. So important for the missus to use it. :)

DSC_3410.jpg

DSC_3411.jpg

I got a pack from Aldi and a pack from Asda. Not panicking but just the normal weekly shop. The extra pack was for one of the children, who have run out. They are at work so can't get to the shops.

Me and the missus have always used hand sanitisers, for many years. The missus has always been in a wheelchair all her adult life, her hands touch the rim of the wheels getting filthy. Not nice when people spit on the floor. So important for the missus to use it. :)
I absolutely agree, with that, and I'm not knocking it in the slightest.
Despite wearing surgical gloves, I use that sort of thing at work too, always have, as I work in quite dirty environments.
(waste industry) and most of my customers always have had the hand dispensers on the wall by "section" doors or loo's.

Its just an eye opener as to how many people seem to think that even the basic washing hands, is something new :(

Just exactly how many toilet rolls can people get through in 2 weeks?
I bought a six pack ( before all this started) about a month ago. I still have 5 left.
Origami expert by any chance?

This whole toilet paper thing just goes to show people on the whole do not know what to do when their scared and don't know what to do, so they end up doing what everyone else is doing. One person the other week in Australia filled a trolley with toilet paper and they were filmed doing this then the film ending up on social media, causing world wide mass hysteria toilet paper panic buying. You couldn't make this stuff up.

Origami expert by any chance?
I had an Origami business once, it wasn't terribly successful.
I just folded it in the end ....

Australia filled a trolley with toilet paper and they were filmed doing this then the film ending up on social media, causing world wide mass hysteria
As I've said many times if you want to create a shortage tell people there is one ;)

This whole toilet paper thing just goes to show people on the whole do not know what to do when their scared and don't know what to do, so they end up doing what everyone else is doing. One person the other week in Australia filled a trolley with toilet paper and they were filmed doing this then the film ending up on social media, causing world wide mass hysteria toilet paper panic buying. You couldn't make this stuff up.

Is that how the weird toilet paper Phenomenon came about?

View attachment 271788

View attachment 271789

I got a pack from Aldi and a pack from Asda. Not panicking but just the normal weekly shop. The extra pack was for one of the children, who have run out. They are at work so can't get to the shops.
Don't forget the pics when you go for a crap....
This place gets more like farcebook every day....:LOL:

No, but if like Italy, we close all the factories, and they stop making toilet roll, it will all run out...and we'll be in the sh!t.....(excuse the puns)

According to a "news item" recently,
it seems we spend an average of £2,568.44 per year on bog roll!
(Seriously? )

And for around £60 you can buy a bum gun!
( not sure what that will do to your water bill though ..

soup.jpg

Soup not bought in a panic.

I always make sure I have plenty of soup in, as the missus does not have a very good appetite, but she can always manage soup. It has been six cans for £4 for some time now, so I buy six at a time.

Last edited:

Yep, I have the same issue. Wash hands, sanitise hands, touch wheels, rinse & repeat (literally)!

it seems we spend an average of £2,568.44 per year on bog roll!
(Seriously? )
£50 a week?
f*** off...o_O

According to Chris's link, it's 5 years but that's still £10 a week. A lot of people must be eating a lot of vindaloos to bring that average up!! :eek:

View attachment 271791

I always make sure I have plenty of soup in, as the missus does not have a very good appetite, but she can always manage soup. It has been six cans for £4 for some time now, so I buy six at a time.

It can be a pain when we have six of the kind that the missus likes, but non that I like. I have to get another six that I do like. I should simply buy more of the kind I like, in the beginning.

View attachment 271791

Always best to buy soup in a calm controlled manner, hey let's hope no one starts a soup buying panic.

According to Chris's link, it's 5 years
Ah Ok I missed the 5 year bit when they talking about it on the radio the other day I thought they said per year.
but that's still £10 a week. A lot of people must be eating a lot of vindaloos to bring that average up!! :eek:
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
That explains it, I don't like vindaloo :D

Every time we go out it's wet wipes hand sanitiser, and radar key. ;)

I always forget the radar key as it's too bulky to put on my keyring so I bought a few from Amazon. I keep one in the car, and one in my desk drawer at work.

That explains it, I don't like vindaloo

I do but I'd have to eat one 5 times a day to need to spend a tenner a week on bog roll! :LOL:

Always best to buy soup in a calm controlled manner, hey let's hope no one starts a soup buying panic.

When I bought them, I made sure no one was watching. I hate rummaging for something in the shop, then other shoppers come over and nose, to see what you are buying, just in case they miss out.

This happened in Cheshire Oaks a year or two ago. I was browsing in Clarks and found a spot nobody was looking in, I spotted some shoes at a reasonable price on a lower price rack, before I knew it there were others fighting over the shoes I had picked out and set aside. This always seem to happen, stop too long and look at something, you then create a crowd, all wanting to have a nose. :)

Completed my Ocado order last night, the toilet rolls were all out of stock except for Waitrose Essential 9-packs soI ordered one. We're not low on the stuff but was curious to see if we'd get it.

Just got a text to say that this afternoon's delivery has n substitutions or missing items, bring on the zombies!! :woot::woot::woot:

shoppers 1.JPG

I know you should not pixel peep, but I did for some reason. The chap on the right, with the trolley. He is not recognisable though.

PS

I did not notice at time of taking the photo.

Last edited:
At the risk of causing a run (no pun intended) on corn-on-the-cob.....top wild camping tip....eat the corn, dry the husk and you have a very effective (and re-usable) toilet paper substitute!

Don't ever accuse me of not contributing to the better good of contributors on TP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back