Panic Buying

I wonder if this lack of empathy for the elderly is to do with some youngsters perception of being f***ed over by the older generation.
Hear it a lot especially with regard to jobs, house ownership, pensions and especially Brexit

Just playing devils advocate before the usual suspects steam in with a bit of grief
I didn't realise @DK602 was a youngster... :LOL:

Because they are old and frail, should we treat the blind, the disabled exactly the same way we treat a fit 30 yr old. You dont believe that any more than I do, stop trolling.

Not trolling at all Matt, but I find this attitude from a member appalling:

Just got back from the shop got just about all we wanted, it was a time allocated for old people, a youngish woman was in with her kids saying the fuc&ing pensioners have bought all the toilet roll, if i knew where she lived she could have mine after i have used it

There are many 'vulnerable' people in society that haven't got allocated shopping times.

I didn't realise @DK602 was a youngster... :LOL:

Mid 50's :)

Reason I'm getting upset is I didn't panic buy and now I have virtually nothing left. I have to go out everyday to try and buy basics only to find the shelves are empty everywhere i go increasing my risks whilst I watch other sectors of society being treated very differently then being all 'smug' criticising young families who also can't purchase what they need. thanks for the offer of your second hand toilet roll!

Mid 50's :)

Reason I'm getting upset is I didn't panic buy and now I have virtually nothing left. I have to go out everyday to try and buy basics only to find the shelves are empty everywhere i go increasing my risks whilst I watch other sectors of society being treated very differently then being all 'smug' criticising young families who also can't purchase what they need. thanks for the offer of your second hand toilet roll!

Your not getting my used toilet roll.....I'll be using both sides....:LOL:

There are many 'vulnerable' people in society that haven't got allocated shopping times.
Indeed there are but we don't make things better by levelling the playing field and having no-one protected, we write to the supermarkets and tell them.

..........Just leading on from this and it is not a 'troll post' but an alternative view (Please note they are NOT my current views but posted for debate).

(1) Pensioners are already the biggest drain on the Countries finances.
(2) pensioners do not contribute to the Countries economy.
(3) the reason for quarantine is to protect pensioners (in the main)
(4) It is pensioners that will overload the NHS
(5) It is pensioners who will cause problems with the social care
(6) saving a pensioner will only extend their lives by a short period
(7) Pensioners will cause a shortage of ventilators

........now, moving on, what happens if we can't find a vaccine for this? What happens if it becomes a common cold?

How long should we/can we keep the Country running like this just to protect pensioners?

When do we accept that they just died of old age and were to weak to fight the virus?

Who knows; maybe the virus might be something we have to live with for the foreseeable and just accept some will be vulnerable to an 'early death' due to it?

..........Just leading on from this and it is not a 'troll post' but an alternative view (Please note they are NOT my current views but posted for debate).

........now, moving on, what happens if we can't find a vaccine for this? What happens if it becomes a common cold?

How long should we/can we keep the Country running like this just to protect pensioners?

When do we accept that they just died of old age and were to weak to fight the virus?

Who knows; maybe the virus might be something we have to live with for the foreseeable and just accept some will be vulnerable to an 'early death' due to it?
Why would you want to debate this?
What would you hope to achieve other than a lot of abuse?
Saying it's not a trolling thread, doesn't mean it's not a trolling thread.
I think you are off your head posting this, but what do I know.

Why would you want to debate this?
What would you hope to achieve other than a lot of abuse?
Saying it's not a trolling thread, doesn't mean it's not a trolling thread.
I think you are off your head posting this, but what do I know.

You say this Bob but my Son & Daughter are already mentioning it mostly in jest but there is some ironic truth in their discussions.

OK I'll bite
1) Many contributed more than they have taken out (in my own example I have paid NI etc for 50 years, if I get 1 yr of pension how am I a drain?)
2) Purchasing things contributes to the economy, many pensioners pay tax as they receive more in pension funds than their personal allowance
3) No its not its to protect all of us before we overwhelm the NHS and cause the young to die too
4)Possibly, unless all the young people ignore the advice then they will contribute massively to overwhelming
5)So lets kill them all and have no regard for life
6)And that is wrong how?
7)So will the young, hear about the 28 yr old footballer who needed one?

OK I'll bite
1) Many contributed more than they have taken out (in my own example I have paid NI etc for 50 years, if I get 1 yr of pension how am I a drain?)
2) Purchasing things contributes to the economy, many pensioners pay tax as they receive more in pension funds than their personal allowance
3) No its not its to protect all of us before we overwhelm the NHS and cause the young to die too
4)Possibly, unless all the young people ignore the advice then they will contribute massively to overwhelming
5)So lets kill them all and have no regard for life
6)And that is wrong how?
7)So will the young, hear about the 28 yr old footballer who needed one?

Thanks for the reply Matt,

What do we do if we can't find a vaccine?

Well I'm glad my son and daughter are not like yours.
They have me and their mum to thank for the way they've turned out. :)

Their education is on 'stand by' for the next 18 months (probably) as is their social life..............

Their education is on 'stand by' for the next 18 months (probably) as is their social life..............
My daughter who is 31 came to visit from Canada, and her boyfriend went to visit his family in France.
Who knows when they will see each other again.
My son and 3 kids live 5 mins away, but we're staying away as much as possible to lessen the risk
Desperate to give them all a cuddle, but best not to :(

My daughter who is 31 came to visit from Canada, and her boyfriend went to visit his family in France.
Who knows when they will see each other again.
My son and 3 kids live 5 mins away, but we're staying away as much as possible to lessen the risk
Desperate to give them all a cuddle, but best not to :(

I do think Bob that it is the young who will suffer most during this? We get pre-occupied with pensioners but our young will miss out on social skills (not integrating), vital education for qualifications etc........they are the future of the Country/World.

It's all very easy to forget the young but IMO they are the hardest hit social group who will have to make the biggest sacrifices?

(...........and sorry but it really p***es me off hearing pensioners moan about the young all the time!)

Last edited:
pensioners do not contribute to the Countries economy.
And some pensioners have served their country in ways we can only imagine ...
I'll just say Mum / spitfires and yes she is still going strong (y)

Are we really having this discussion in the UK in 2020? Are there people who believe that its ok to let, maybe hundreds of thousands of people die because they're above a certain age, to protect the economy. I don't believe we've come to that. Yet.

Last edited:
Has anyone else noticed the prices rising slowly, ( although fuel is dropping nicely)
5p here, 5p there. and any essentials that are left are the top brands 3 x the price "we" would normal pay.

I went shopping today I needed a few bits, and TBH those that were shopping were being sensible at last.

A pallet of bog roll, was rolled into my local Aldi, and people were splitting the packs just to take 1 x 9 pack.
All very civilised for a change.
I got everything I needed, apart from eggs so @nilagin next time you eat the whites send me the yellows ta (y)

No milk in the Sainsbury's filling station shop. Not even the clear stuff. Plenty of pre-made sarnies.

Are we really having this discussion in the UK in 2020? Are there people who believe that its ok to let, maybe hundreds of thousands of people die because they're above a certain age, to protect the economy. I don't believe we've come to that. Yet.

..........and hopefully we won't Steve; but the future is very uncertain :-(

Not been able to find milk for four days now! All sold out again this morning!
Obviously I don't know where you are, but MK seems to have plenty.
Certainly for the last few days (although I never had a problem getting what I needed. a couple of pints every 3-4 days)
I guess its reached that point, that the locust / hoarders have now run out of money and or storage.
And have gone into isolation.
I do about 250 miles a day, and the roads are spookilly quiet!

It was very weird this morning.
There is a phenomenon here, its called the MK hum.
Where every you live you can hear the trafic ( pretty much 24 hours) from either the A5 or M1.
I came out this morning at around 5am and nothing! no sound at all!
Spooky!

@Cobra i used to hear a similar hum when i lived in Hatfield, from the A1(M)

centre Mk must be ready for another cliff richard video! (ha actually, my user pic was taken in centre mk !)

..........and hopefully we won't Steve; but the future is very uncertain :-(
Didn't the world go to war in 39/45 to stop that sort of thinking.

I guess its reached that point, that the locust / hoarders have now run out of money and or storage.
Close to the end of the month, give it a week or so.

Didn't the world go to war in 39/45 to stop that sort of thinking.

No it didn't go to war for those reasons.

we have 165K Cancer deaths every year in the UK - is smoking banned?

In the UK, in 2016 there were 9,214 alcohol-related deaths (around 15 per 100,000 people). The mortality rates are highest among people aged 55-69 [4]. In the UK in 2018 there were 7,551 alcohol-specific deaths (around 11.9 per 100,000 people). This is the second-highest level since the records began in 2001
Have we banned alcohol?

Society as a whole 'hardens' to matters very quickly; I don't think the Country would stand for a forced lockdown for much more than 6 months.

Some may say that our life expectancy will just have to be reduced because of this?

No it didn't go to war for those reasons.

Have we banned alcohol?

Society as a whole 'hardens' to matters very quickly; I don't think the Country would stand for a forced lockdown for much more than 6 months.

Some may say that our life expectancy will just have to be reduced because of this?
Theres money to be made from cigs and alcohol, not so much Covid-19.

Actually its getting there by stealth.
Menthol cigarettes are banned in a couple of months ( May I think)
As these encourage people to start smoking.... Really?
Its been packs of 20 only for quite awhile to stop teenagers from being able to afford them ... Really?
All cigarette packets now look the same, no branding whatsoever to discourage people from smoking .... Really?

And just recently I heard that hand rolling tobacco is to be banned also ... I've not being able find anything out about this, but it came from a shop worker

Back