Panic Buying

Supermarkets know what we buy per week, limit it to that per week.
I suppose you could apply the system that night clubs use to allow re-entry. Stamp the customers as they leave and refuse entry to anyone whose stamp hasn't faded.

Lots of photo opportunities for us! :naughty:

Stamp the customers as they leave and refuse entry to anyone whose stamp hasn't faded.
But they'll go straight home and wash their hands ( Apparently this washing your hands is a new thing, that people are doing to music) (y)

Or are the panic buyers actually doing the sensible thing?

A family of 5 need to self isolate for two weeks if someone in that family becomes symptomatic, then if another becomes symptomatic in that time frame it's a further two weeks and so on - that is a very long period of time none of the family should be going out shopping and hence several months worth of 'weekly shops'?

Who here has got over a months worth of shopping so they can isolate?

Last edited:

A family of 5 need to self isolate for two weeks if someone in that family becomes symptomatic, then if another becomes symptomatic in that time frame it's a further two weeks and so on - that is a very long period of time none of the family should be going out shopping and hence several months worth of 'weekly shops'?

They could maybe use home delivery in that scenario.

This diagram shows how long they would all need to isolate for....
Screenshot_20200322-115902_Drive.jpg

A 4 pint carton of milk lasts me just over a day, I would normally buy three when I go shopping with the wife, then another during the coming week, this week I had to buy one every day just to build up my 3 bottles in the fridge again

A 4 pint carton lasts us a week. Do you really believe that you using that much EVERY DAY is a good use of resources? Using less is unlikely to cause you any long term damage but going through it like you currently are could well be causing problems for others.

I have a bit of lactose intolerance, my family wouldn't want me drinking half a gallon of milk a day.
Don't think I could manage that much Milk, not so much problem with Beer though.
Limiting myself to a pint a day, not enough exercise or the main reason which is supply shortage
Bought a couple of cases, but that's normal, probably should have got more, but didn't seem in demand

Don't think the pair of us ever get through four pints a week, more like two

Last edited:
Pretty much the same as you pro rata
2 pints / 5 - 7 days

2 pints usually lasts us a week between us but we're using 4+ pints at the moment mainly because we have porridge for breakfast. We usually take it into work and use the milk there but both working from home now.

A 4 pint carton lasts us a week. Do you really believe that you using that much EVERY DAY is a good use of resources? Using less is unlikely to cause you any long term damage but going through it like you currently are could well be causing problems for others.
Resources for what exactly?
It's what I use for my protein shakes and smoothies through out the day, other than iced green mint tea and coconut water during my workouts, it is all that I drink. It is skimmed milk anyway, the stuff most people avoid as it's too healthy for them. Why should I have to cut back on my normal consumption, just because others are panicking and buying more than they normally would.

Keep it to yourself, but start buying bottled water now. I have heard if it gets scarce later, they are going to start diluting it to make it go further.

Keep it to yourself, but start buying bottled water now. I have heard if it gets scarce later, they are going to start diluting it to make it go further.
I always buy concentrated water...... & dilute to taste

Resources for what exactly?
It's what I use for my protein shakes and smoothies through out the day, other than iced green mint tea and coconut water during my workouts, it is all that I drink. It is skimmed milk anyway, the stuff most people avoid as it's too healthy for them. Why should I have to cut back on my normal consumption, just because others are panicking and buying more than they normally would.

Consider a change from all those protein shakes and smoothies to allow other to purchase the stuff?

maybe substitute for tap water?

Consider a change from all those protein shakes and smoothies to allow other to purchase the stuff?

maybe substitute for tap water?
So then I have to make up the calorie intake etc by other means, how does that make it any better?
I am only buying for my normal intake, except now I am having to do it daily instead of twice a week as I was before. It's not as if I am buying excess to my normal consumption and it will still be in the fridge in a week or so about to go off.

So then I have to make up the calorie intake etc by other means, how does that make it any better?
I am only buying for my normal intake, except now I am having to do it daily instead of twice a week as I was before. It's not as if I am buying excess to my normal consumption and it will still be in the fridge in a week or so about to go off.

I think you would survive without this? maybe think of changing your food intake during these times. i.e. eat/drink like a normal person.

Reactions: Nod
I think you would survive without this? maybe think of changing your food intake during these times. i.e. eat/drink like a normal person.
What instead of a healthy diet you mean.
I will continue as I am thanks.

What instead of a healthy diet you mean.
I will continue as I am thanks.

You are unbelievable - you really are! Throwing lots of protein shakes down your throat isn't a healthy lifestyle by any means. save your money and eat healthy food rather than protein shakes and smoothies.

Why do you need more than 2000 calories/day?

Last edited:
You are unbelievable - you really are! Throwing lots of protein shakes down your throat isn't a healthy lifestyle by any means. save your money and eat healthy food rather than protein shakes and smoothies.

I dont see why it matters to you what someone else eats, if its his normal diet then its not panic buying,

Just when you think things can't get worse

Tesco delivery van robbed locally. I thought all these vans carried only groceries.

British Hen Welfare Trust has had a vast increase of enquries regarding hens for rehoming. Most of these are unwilling to pay more than a token amount, and interested in the laying ability of these chickens. So it has decided to restrict offers to people who have previously rehomed hens through them

I dont see why it matters to you what someone else eats, if its his normal diet then its not panic buying,

4 pints of milk/day for body building shakes means others that use a reasonable amount struggle to purchase it. It isn't an 'essential' purchase so it puts strain on the system.

I weigh just short of 15 stone, I have lean muscle mass with about 12% body fat that I wish to maintain by eating and drinking healthily and weight training. I weight train because it is more beneficial to my body type for remaining fit and healthy as opposed to cardio exercise which isn't really ideal for my body type, plus I also find it boring after 5 minutes.
Because of my training, I need to consume around 3k calories a day. That calorie intake needs to be spread over at least 5 small meals a day rather than just 3 larger meals, that gives the body time to process and use the calorie intake properly. Protein shakes consisting of milk, fruit and vegetables blended with protein powder is alot easier and quicker to consume, I have tried getting the extra protein intake from eating additional meals, but having the time to do so isn't always practical. So it is easier to have it in the form of a drink, plus whey protein is the easiest and quickest form of protein for the body to utilise during the day.
None of that makes me selfish or means I am consuming someone else's share. After all unless they have a similar fitness regime, they can easily drink water, or their chosen alcohol, or they can even drink one of the many milks made from nuts, oats etc. With their "normal" milk intake that would be relatively inexpensive, for me to drink that "fake" milk would cost me about £20 or more per week instead of about £5 that it costs me for the real stuff.

Just been to the shop - no milk for third day on the run!

Sooner sensible rationing on Milk, Bread etc is brought in the better so the population can have a fair share.

Local pet shop sold out all their chickens, aprantly people buying them for their eggs.
I wonder if they know how to look after chickens.

I weigh just short of 15 stone, I have lean muscle mass with about 12% body fat that I wish to maintain by eating and drinking healthily and weight training. I weight train because it is more beneficial to my body type for remaining fit and healthy as opposed to cardio exercise which isn't really ideal for my body type, plus I also find it boring after 5 minutes.
Because of my training, I need to consume around 3k calories a day. That calorie intake needs to be spread over at least 5 small meals a day rather than just 3 larger meals, that gives the body time to process and use the calorie intake properly. Protein shakes consisting of milk, fruit and vegetables blended with protein powder is alot easier and quicker to consume, I have tried getting the extra protein intake from eating additional meals, but having the time to do so isn't always practical. So it is easier to have it in the form of a drink, plus whey protein is the easiest and quickest form of protein for the body to utilise during the day.
None of that makes me selfish or means I am consuming someone else's share. After all unless they have a similar fitness regime, they can easily drink water, or their chosen alcohol, or they can even drink one of the many milks made from nuts, oats etc. With their "normal" milk intake that would be relatively inexpensive, for me to drink that "fake" milk would cost me about £20 or more per week instead of about £5 that it costs me for the real stuff.

Oh dear................

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMu1T_Tg5Fw

4 pints of milk/day for body building shakes means others that use a reasonable amount struggle to purchase it. It isn't an 'essential' purchase so it puts strain on the system.
No it's the people who drink a "reasonable" amount, as you put it, but buy more than they need for immediate consumption are the ones putting a strain on the system.
I don't eat pasta, if I bought some, I would be putting a strain on the system as I would be buying something just for the sake of it.
I don't eat biscuits or bread, you may well eat biscuits and bread, as far as I am concerned, neither has any nutritional benefit, they don't even play a part in a balanced healthy diet, they are just a filler. They are a waste of ingredients that could be put to better use in much healthier foods, they are a strain on the system, but people will still buy them, eat them or throw them away when they go stale or mouldy.

So you drink 4pints/day and it costs you £5 per week - are you steeling it or talking rubbish again?

Just been to the shop - no milk for third day on the run!

Sooner sensible rationing on Milk, Bread etc is brought in the better so the population can have a fair share.
Well seeing as we a geographically hundreds of miles apart and I didn't buy any milk today and I don't buy bread, you can't blame any of that on me, not unless someone local to me couldn't get any milk and decided to go several hundred miles to your local shop and by the last of it before you got there. ;)

Well seeing as we a geographically hundreds of miles apart and I didn't buy any milk today and I don't buy bread, you can't blame any of that on me, not unless someone local to me couldn't get any milk and decided to go several hundred miles to your local shop and by the last of it before you got there. ;)

So you wouldn't object to rationing of 2 pints/week which is perfectly adequate.

So you drink 4pints/day and it costs you £5 per week - are you steeling it or talking rubbish again?
I actually said one 4 pint carton lasts around a day and a half, One carton used to cost 90p in Tesco, they are now around £1.25 each, 4 cartons lasts just short of 7 days, so yes it costs me around £5 a week.

So you wouldn't object to rationing of 2 pints/week which is perfectly adequate.
Yes I would object to it because it wouldn't last a week. It maybe perfectly adequate for your dietary needs but it is far from adequate for mine, which are far from excessive.

I actually said one 4 pint carton lasts around a day and a half, One carton used to cost 90p in Tesco, they are now around £1.25 each, 4 cartons lasts just short of 7 days, so yes it costs me around £5 a week.

You actually said this:

I normally go shopping twice a week, once with my wife and once on my own, this week I have been shopping, just about every day, fortunately there is a Tesco close to work but as the days went by, they had less and less of the stuff I buy. A 4 pint carton of milk lasts me just over a day, I would normally buy three when I go shopping with the wife, then another during the coming week, this week I had to buy one every day just to build up my 3 bottles in the fridge again ready for work this week as i am on lates and am restricted on what top up food I can buy on the way to work as there is nowhere to keep cold or frozen stuff before going home again. I will be back to just one carton again by next weekend and will have to resort to shopping on the way home again on the following week.

........not a day & a half. You also described how you had two extra spare in the fridge and then buy another through the week.

Tesco charge a minimum of £1.50 for skimmed 4 pints - that's almost double the £5.

...............but as long as you can carry on as normal with your weight training the rest of us will be OK.

We stand no chance of getting through this it would appear; not willing to make the slightest sacrifice but on another thread you want the NHS staff to isolate............bizarre!

Having cereals for breakfast and a latte really chews through a milk supply over the week.
I have no idea where our milk goes, it ain't me drinking it.
*points finger at her*

I hear you're better off trying for milk in a local corner shop than a supermarket.

You actually said this:

........not a day & a half. You also described how you had two extra spare in the fridge and then buy another through the week.

Tesco charge a minimum of £1.50 for skimmed 4 pints - that's almost double the £5.

...............but as long as you can carry on as normal with your weight training the rest of us will be OK.

We stand no chance of getting through this it would appear; not willing to make the slightest sacrifice but on another thread you want the NHS staff to isolate............bizarre!
Just over a day is the same as almost a day and half.
Even at £1.50 a carton, that still only comes to £6, that isn't even close to being almost double £5.

How you manage to associate my milk consumption with the necessity for hospital staff to isolate to overcome the spreading of the virus is totally bizarre.

Every time I've been in Sainsburys this week they've had milk.
Even at 7:30pm tonight they had milk.
Not much else though.

Just over a day is the same as almost a day and half.
Even at £1.50 a carton, that still only comes to £6, that isn't even close to being almost double £5.

How you manage to associate my milk consumption with the necessity for hospital staff to isolate to overcome the spreading of the virus is totally bizarre.
You expect NHS staff to sacrafice time with their families in order to keep you safe, but you would not be prepared to sacrafice any of your milk consumption so there's enough for everyone.
That's what he means.

You're not panic buying and stashing it, so I don't see what the issue is.
Expecting you to drink less would be like you asking him to eat less so there was enough food to go round.....
Would he do that?
We'll never know.
I'm not eating less, because they say there's enough for everyone, but I'm not panic buying either.
I'm also not arguing that NHS staff should be made to stay at work and not be allowed home to see their families each night.

Last edited:
Back