Panic Buying

Bought our usual sack of spuds (Saxon) down the farm shop, four quid for 25kg
Chicken place down the same road does free range eggs, might pop over there later in the week.

Few places like that around and about, most people tend to stick to the supermarkets i'm glad to say

Just over a day is the same as almost a day and half.
Even at £1.50 a carton, that still only comes to £6, that isn't even close to being almost double £5.

How you manage to associate my milk consumption with the necessity for hospital staff to isolate to overcome the spreading of the virus is totally bizarre.

I shall ignore before I get a ban with what I honestly think of you...................but I think you've been watching too many Rocky films and are living in a fantasy land. (raw eggs, protein shakes ........hahaha)

You expect NHS staff to sacrafice time with their families in order to keep you safe, but you would not be prepared to sacrafice any of your milk consumption so there's enough for everyone.
That's what he means.

You're not panic buying and stashing it, so I don't see what the issue is.
Expecting you to do that would be like you asking him to eat less so there was enough food to go round.....
Would he do that?
We'll never know.

Thanks Bob (y)

Every time I've been in Sainsburys this week they've had milk.
Even at 7:30pm tonight they had milk.
Not much else though.

Same here too, milk is plenty here thank god as I like to make a brew for my girlfriend when she comes home from work.

Having cereals for breakfast and a latte really chews through a milk supply over the week.
I have no idea where our milk goes, it ain't me drinking it.
*points finger at her*

I hear you're better off trying for milk in a local corner shop than a supermarket.
The two Tesco that I use has plenty of fresh milk , but like the long life milk they limit it to one carton of whatever size per person, the long life milk is often out of stock at various times throughout the year anyway, so it is hard to tell if that would be currently out of stock due to panic buyers, but it is more expensive to buy than the fresh milk anyway so I rarely buy it.

I shall ignore before I get a ban with what I honestly think of you...................but I think you've been watching too many Rocky films and are living in a fantasy land. (raw eggs, protein shakes ........hahaha)
To be honest, I don't understand why you're letting it bother you so much.
I know he winds folks up a lot, me included sometimes, but why are you getting annoyed about his fitness regime/diet?
It's his body, and you or I don't have any right to tell him what to eat/drink....

I know he winds folks up a lot, me included sometimes, but why are you getting annoyed about his fitness regime/diet?
It's his body, and you or I don't have any right to tell him what to eat/drink....

You are right Bob ..................not had a brew for 4 days so tetchy!

You're absolutely right, of course. It's the me,me, f*** you, I'm not changing attitude displayed that does grate a bit.

I sincerely hope we don't reach a point where his first world issues meet a different reality.

You expect NHS staff to sacrafice time with their families in order to keep you safe, but you would not be prepared to sacrafice any of your milk consumption so there's enough for everyone.
That's what he means.

You're not panic buying and stashing it, so I don't see what the issue is.
Expecting you to drink less would be like you asking him to eat less so there was enough food to go round.....
Would he do that?
We'll never know.
I'm not eating less, because they say there's enough for everyone, but I'm not panic buying either.
I'm also not arguing that NHS staff should be made to stay at work and not be allowed home to see their families each night.

Like I said before, if we are to beat this pandemic properly, it is no good just locking down most of the country if you still have people who are working in hospitals caring for those critically I'll from the virus only to leave each day possibly infected purely and unknowingly by accident, and then returning home possibly infecting others on the way, getting home infecting their family members, who then nip out to the shops and accidentally infect someone they pass or accidentally bump into along the way. The same goes for the NHS worker possibly having picked up the virus on the way into work, only to infect others in the hospital.
If isolated to the hospital the transfer will go no further and it is contained.

I don't work in a hospital, but if I did, there is no way I would want to risk passing the virus onto my family, knowing I work in an environment where the virus is prevalent.
But I do work in research and development facility, we obviously don't have any critical patients in the various buildings, but to reduce the possibility of infection to our workforce, all staff capable of working from home, have been doing so from Monday, straight away it has reduced the size of the workforce on site by around 3000 people, around 90%. As alot of us work shifts and we would normally meet our shift opposites at change over time, the early shift now leaves 3/4hr early, having cleaned their workspace before we leave, and cleaners also clean during the gap between shifts, a deeper clean takes place during the night when we aren't there. I don't take any chances so wear nitrite gloves throughout the day so I don't have to risk touching any surfaces touched by others. When the gloves have to come off to eat or go to the loo, I dispose of the gloves and wash my hands, when ready my I wash my hands again and then put on a fresh pair of gloves.
We have an on site medical, and unless the need is an emergency, we have to answer a questionnaire to determine whether we are showing any signs of the virus before they will even let us in. The same goes to any external visitors to any of the buildings. Contact with other employees is kept to a minimum.
It seems to be working, only one of my workmates is on self isolation, his daughter has the virus, she works in a gym in London, so may have caught it there or on the train to or from work. The only other case I am aware of is the wife of someone who works in another department and he is working from home, he may have already been self isolating, before the decision was made for remote working by the company. He posted a video on our employee facebook group, that his wife (looked to be early 30's) had made from her hospital bed. She didn't know for sure how long she had been in hospital, because she had been so ill, she was over the worst of it, but still on a ventilator, she was coughing and having trouble catching her breath to talk, she did manage to say that she was desperate to see her husband and daughters again and asked people to take her predicament as a warning not to take any chances as they could end up the same as her, if not worse and dead.
So isolating hospital staff makes sense not just for my sake, but for everyones sake. We have seen 3 hospital staff now who have the virus, so we know it can happen, so why ignore it and pretend it won't happen and cause others outside the hospital to become infected.

I have never watched a single Rocky film, i don't like boxing, nor have I ever eaten raw eggs.

You're absolutely right, of course. It's the me,me, f*** you, I'm not changing attitude displayed that does grate a bit.

I sincerely hope we don't reach a point where his first world issues meet a different reality.
Since when was a desire to remain fit and healthy, a me, me, f*** you, attitude?

This is a me, me, f*** you attitude.
View: https://www.facebook.com/298334410784093/posts/560590981225100/?d=null&vh=e

Last edited:
It looks like my wife and i use 4 pints of milk in just over a day

index.jpg

Just got back from the shop got just about all we wanted, it was a time allocated for old people, a youngish woman was in with her kids saying the fuc&ing pensioners have bought all the toilet roll, if i knew where she lived she could have mine after i have used it

Just got back from the shop got just about all we wanted, it was a time allocated for old people, a youngish woman was in with her kids saying the fuc&ing pensioners have bought all the toilet roll, if i knew where she lived she could have mine after i have used it
Tell her to go on eBay and bid for second hand toilet paper

a youngish woman was in with her kids saying the fuc&ing pensioners have bought all the toilet roll,
I'd like to think she's just expressing her frustration at a situation over which she has no control. It seems to me that the blame really lies with a cabinet that dithered until panic measures are required when they could have acted far sooner and controlled the problem far more effectively.

I'd like to think she's just expressing her frustration at a situation over which she has no control. It seems to me that the blame really lies with a cabinet that dithered until panic measures are required when they could have acted far sooner and controlled the problem far more effectively.

I would like to think the same and i know she could have been in an at risk group but she could also just have been a selfish young woman shopping when she shouldn't and increasing the risk to the shoppers that did fall into the at risk category.

My money is on the latter if she can not just think things like that but actually say them out loud to two young children.

My money is on the latter if she can not just think things like that but actually say them out loud to two young children.
Certainly that isn't a good sign but we oldies can too easily forget the pressures of bringing up kids in a world that loads us with expectations but restricts our opportunities.

I really don't understand why the shops are having 'special times' for pensioners though? I understand them doing it for emergency workers but why pensioners?

I have seen and spoken to at least a couple of people almost in tears because they chose not to panic buy and now are dpwn to their last roll and still unable to buy them, you just know if they do find any they will but as many as they can and so it will go on
I do wonder how many people are going to have to learn how to cook fresh meat and veg now all the restaurants/takeaways have shut , seems to be the only thing our local shop is stocked in, meat especially

Last edited:
I really don't understand why the shops are having 'special times' for pensioners though? I understand them doing it for emergency workers but why pensioners?

To protect them from close contact with others that will just push through regardless
Just remember some of the elderly are also infirm but have no option but to go to the shops

You obviously have not given it enough thought

Pooh is sensible:

full

You obviously have not given it enough thought

I have & would suggest that you haven't given it enough thought; I also agree with the younger woman - pensioners are as capable of panic buying like anyone else; in fact some are worse because they think everyone is owe them something because they have managed to reach a 'ripe old age'.

Absolutely no reason for pensioners to have special treatment - there is always someone else who can do the shopping for you and you remain in quarantine where pensioners should be.

You feel that the Younger woman with her kids was being disrespectful to pensioners when what she was saying is correct?

Last edited:
Absolutely no reason for pensioners to have special treatment - there is always someone else who can do the shopping for you and you remain in quarantine where pensioners should be.
Sometimes there isn't someone who will step in and help out OAP, shame but that's the UK World we live in, far too many isolated and lonely OAPs.

Sometimes there isn't someone who will step in and help out OAP, shame but that's the UK World we live in, far too many isolated and lonely OAPs.

A thought about this - I'm 400 miles away from Family , have a really good friend who would help - but who is more than likely going to be in the 'enforced self-isolation ' for 12-14 weeks. I'm 79 and slightly disabled - rely on my car and my Blue badge for day to day life and getting out into company .

Yes there are folk who would do my shopping - but when the little stock of cash in my house runs out - how do I pay them ??

Am I really supposed to give someone with whom I'm really only on nodding terms, my card and stuff for the ATM ??

I'm really reliant on TESCO online - and their slots are well booked up now. I had an order in recently and decided last week to book my next - no slots available. By going online at some point the next day I managed to get a slot for April 9 !! I grabbed it and put some stuff in the basket and will be topping it up nearer the time.

@camerassassin

Some banks offer a way of paying someone via mobile phone now. You just need to know their mobile number I think. There's also paypal. I think you can gift money with apple pay potentially as well.

There definitely needs to be a way of doing person to person payments like cash allows but without actual cash and that is secure.

@camerassassin

Some banks offer a way of paying someone via mobile phone now. You just need to know their mobile number I think. There's also paypal. I think you can gift money with apple pay potentially as well.

There definitely needs to be a way of doing person to person payments like cash allows but without actual cash and that is secure.

That's fine as long as they have access to mobiles and PayPal etc and the understanding to do it.
It's hard enough for some to use text.
Some of the texts we get from my 80 year old mother in law are hilarious.

556B4960-EF6C-4C2E-B632-C3F88365DA03.jpeg

Last edited:

Online shopping for those that haven't got anyone?

Or only have one day a week & only one supermarket in a local area?

Last edited:

Have you tried booking an online delivery slot recently. Even when you get one, by the time they deliver your goods, half of it is missing!

Have you tried booking an online delivery slot recently. Even when you get one, by the time they deliver your goods, half of it is missing!

Then why shouldn't they be treated the same as everyone else?

My FIL is 90, he's very good with things like the Internet but he's not up to doing online shopping etc, my wife does it for him. If we go down with this then there's no-one to help him, he'll be self isolating as instructed. If and only if he gets desperate how do you suggest he does his shopping bearing in mind he cant walk more than 50 yds and certainly not with 4 bags of groceries.
In an ideal world he would have a circle of people that could help, but they are all 85+ too.
I think in this case you are lacking some empathy with how the old folk in this country live and survive.
It may be that years ago he would have been dead by now, probably would but he's not (yet).

Because they are old and frail, should we treat the blind, the disabled exactly the same way we treat a fit 30 yr old. You dont believe that any more than I do, stop trolling.

Because they're not the same as everyone else.
Many of them are unwell, frail, weaker, have poor mobility, unable to use technology, etc etc
I know some are grumpy, a pain in the arse, just as capable of panic buying etc....but that's not the point.
Companies have decided to give them priority and that's that......get over it .....you'll be a pensioner one day....hopefully :)

That's fine as long as they have access to mobiles and PayPal etc and the understanding to do it.
It's hard enough for some to use text.
Some of the texts we get from my 80 year old mother in law are hilarious.

My parents have a mobile phone. It's about 15 years old and always switched off. Mum has a tablet and she's learned how to do her shopping on that but Ocado have disabled their app so I have to do it for her on my desktop. It's just fortunate that she is an existing customer as they are not registering any new ones. Anyone who wasn't doing their shopping online before is really going to struggle to get a delivery now.

My order for the next 2 saturdays (my regular slot) are fine but my order fo 11th April can't be created as the time isn't available.

I wonder if this lack of empathy for the elderly is to do with some youngsters perception of being f***ed over by the older generation.
Hear it a lot especially with regard to jobs, house ownership, pensions and especially Brexit

Just playing devils advocate before the usual suspects steam in with a bit of grief

Back