Panic Buying

I just saw a feed showing photos of loads of wheelie bins full of wasted food. I guess it was bound to happen but what a shameful waste.

Not suggesting we should become a nation of butchers, but I would have *expected* most meat eaters to be comfortable with the idea of killing and preparing an animal for food.

FWIW I've never had a need to kill a cow or sheep either, though I have despatched smaller animals and I'm happy to take a whole dead animal and prepare. If there were a need then I'd certainly have few qualms about killing a live animal for the table.
Why should you have to be comfortable with it, if you have never had to do it and never likely to be in a position to have to do it?
The thought won't even enter into most meat eaters heads.

I add "juice" ( Lemon or Lime mostly) to tap water, bottle it and stick it in the freezer nice and refreshing (y)

Not a bad idea, before I tried Keto I tried a water based diet for a few weeks, lots of lemon and cucumber water involved, and I found it refreshing - lost bugger all weight though :D but I do love a fresh lemon

I add "juice" ( Lemon or Lime mostly) to tap water, bottle it and stick it in the freezer nice and refreshing (y)

Obviously not from Scotland!
We don't have to add anything to our water - best tasting water you can get.
Same with whisky!

Same with whisky!

When I have a dram or nine of nice whisky I tend to go neat as I don't want to dilute it, but then some believe that ice cubes can help draw out the flavour.

Whilst I do quite like it on the rocks as well, I don't once they've melted so it's kind of a race against time and therefore less pleasurable.

How do you prefer yours?

When I have a dram or nine of nice whisky I tend to go neat as I don't want to dilute it, but then some believe that ice cubes can help draw out the flavour.

Whilst I do quite like it on the rocks as well, I don't once they've melted so it's kind of a race against time and therefore less pleasurable.

How do you prefer yours?

Neat :)

While on the subject of booze,

Off Licences are now deemed to be essential retailers.

Perhaps the gov't aren't so out of touch with the great British public after all.

Same with whisky!

Ireland says NO on both counts, also it's 'whiskey' :p

I just dislike unflavoured water in general, but our water is decent here

Why should you have to be comfortable with it, if you have never had to do it and never likely to be in a position to have to do it?
The thought won't even enter into most meat eaters heads.

Comfy with the *idea* of killing the animal for food - otherwise you're going to end up with a fairly serious internal conflict, thinking that you're inflicting a terrible fate on some poor defenseless creature. I suspect a lot of thoughts don't enter a lot of heads, otherwise they'd all have had to work through this & there might be more vegetarians (or more butchers) around.

We don't have to add anything to our water - best tasting water you can get. etc.

Yes, I love that hint of chlorine. Goes well with my cooked chicken breast from Thailand. :LOL:

Whiskey or whisky, I enjoy both, but neat please and without all that carbolic-tasting 'peatiness'. :)

It's an age old debate, as to which is best, but it really depends on the brand/age/distilling process - you really cannot direct compare Irish V Scotch in general. My Dad is a whiskey nut, but he'll gladly accept a good bottle from any region. He will tell you Irish is best, but one of his all time favorites is Black Bush, which is from up north, UK in that case.

Comfy with the *idea* of killing the animal for food - otherwise you're going to end up with a fairly serious internal conflict, thinking that you're inflicting a terrible fate on some poor defenseless creature. I suspect a lot of thoughts don't enter a lot of heads, otherwise they'd all have had to work through this & there might be more vegetarians (or more butchers) around.

I will eat chicken and bacon despite not being comfortable with killing the animals involved. I have convinced myself to come to terms with that.
However, I can never come to terms with killing animals and birds for fun/sport?

It's an age old debate, as to which is best, but it really depends on the brand/age/distilling process - you really cannot direct compare Irish V Scotch in general. My Dad is a whiskey nut, but he'll gladly accept a good bottle from any region. He will tell you Irish is best, but one of his all time favorites is Black Bush, which is from up north, UK in that case.

For some people how they like their whisky is closely aligned to how much of a drunk they are. Some people would drink it out of a s***ey cloot (a cloth that has been used to clean one's posterior after taking a dump !) These boys are serious drunks.

For some people how they like their whisky is closely aligned to how much of a drunk they are. Some people would drink it out of a s***ey cloot (a cloth that has been used to clean one's posterior after taking a dump !) These boys are serious drunks.

For those, there is the likes of Paddy Irish whiskey, cheap as chips and would probably strip a wall bare. It is the perfect example of how not all Irish whiskey [at least] is the same

Last edited:
For those, there is the likes of Paddy Irish whiskey, cheap as chips and would probably strip a wall bare
When I was courting the 1st Mrs I won a bottle of Paddys in a raffle at the Irish centre , camden town. Tradition was you open it and take a swig. I thought I was going to die.

I will eat chicken and bacon despite not being comfortable with killing the animals involved. I have convinced myself to come to terms with that.
However, I can never come to terms with killing animals and birds for fun/sport?
I don't have to convince myself to come to terms with it, because I don't give it a second thought.
I only eat chicken, turkey, salmon and tuna, our cat and myself love it.
What I don't understand is for vegans desire to still have their food modelled on meat.

Like I said - I am really not comfortable with killing an animal for food and I certainly couldn't do the killing - I get upset if I run a wild animal over. I block it from my mind what I am actually eating.

I could never be served food that still looks like an animal; even a fish that still looks like a fish let alone a pig being cooked.

I have a lot less regard for most humans than I do animals.

Last edited:
Like I said - I am really not comfortable with killing an animal for food and I certainly couldn't do the killing - I get upset if I run a wild animal over. I block it from my mind what I am actually eating.

I could never be served food that still looks like an animal; even a fish that still looks like a fish let alone a pig being cooked.

I have a lot less regard for most humans than I do animals.

Oh yes, I can relate with that.

Meat substitutes like quorn are pretty disgusting although we did pick up some veggie chicken pieces from tesco a few months ago which actually tasted like chicken.

Language may be fluid, but there's no such thing.

What I don't understand is for vegans desire to still have their food modelled on meat.

It’s not so much for vegans but used by manufacturers to attract non vegans to try their products.

Plus if you had to go vegan or at least partially vegan for health or meat scarcity reasons then you would want something you are familiar with. Many people wouldn’t be able to deal with a block of tofu but could easily grill a vegan sausage.

Only if it was made from real vegans...

Over the years one way or another I've travelled pretty much the whole country
And I have to say, water is water, *maybe* the soft water Devon / Cornwall area does have a slight difference,
But when you are thirsty its all the same (y)
Same with whisky!
Whisky/whiskey I have a mate that is a real Whisky fanatic and he's made me try a whole range of the stuff, from the really cheap to the obscenely expensive.
My reaction has always remained .. :puke::hungover:

It’s not so much for vegans but used by manufacturers to attract non vegans to try their products.

Plus if you had to go vegan or at least partially vegan for health or meat scarcity reasons then you would want something you are familiar with. Many people wouldn’t be able to deal with a block of tofu but could easily grill a vegan sausage.
My niece and quite a few of her friends are vegan by choice and it is definitely a case of wanting to eat "meat" without it actually being meat.
My niece is forever posting about the cruelty and how the animals are treated and raised, just to be killed for food. Yet eats food that looks like it is the very food she is against.

As I often say, people in this country do not eat animals anymore - they eat meat.
My wife and I are vegetarian and eat organic where possible. My sister tries to eat organic but also eats organic meat, she often gets a call from the farm " Daisy is going in tomorrow what bits do you want?", they also get invited to the farm to meet the meat.
I am not sure if it is the law in France yet but they were going to stop descriptions such as vegetarian sausage, or vegan cheese. If it did not comply with the dictionary definition it had to be called something else.

My niece and quite a few of her friends are vegan by choice and it is definitely a case of wanting to eat "meat" without it actually being meat.
My niece is forever posting about the cruelty and how the animals are treated and raised, just to be killed for food. Yet eats food that looks like it is the very food she is against.
I think the best thing you can do is to let others do as they please. Don’t try and judge it, pigeonhole them or keep them in neat little boxes:)

Just been to Tesco because I was out of blueberries and only one banana left. Plus I am in desperate need of some skin softener and some soap that I use for my psoriasis. After seeing online yesterday that they were making people queue with social distancing and only allowing in 5 people at a time taking an hour to get in, I was prepared to just come straight back home.
But it was all very quiet. Loads of space in the car park, even though part of the car park was taped off for trolley cleaning. Got out of the car to be greeted by snow blowing on the wind. Not many people in the queue outside, only about 2 minutes before I was inside.
Handed a wet wipe to clean my hands and give trolley handle a wipe over.
Most of the shelves fairly well stocked, but couldn't get my skin softener and bar of soap.
Everyone in the store seemed well mannered and observing the 2m rule. Not many multi buy offers anymore.
Given another wipe for hands as I exited too.
Stopped off in Holland and Barrett on the way home, but still no skin softener or soap.

I think the best thing you can do is to let others do as they please. Don’t try and judge it, pigeonhole them or keep them in neat little boxes:)
You have to have the boxes, even if you do keep them in the loft. It makes the re-sale so much better

Think you will find it is them wanting it to look like meat, that is the pegeonhole or neat little boxes.

Now to me, that makes excellent sense. She's eating things that may look and taste similar but without any need to be concerned for animals suffering.

Last edited:
Now to me, that makes excellent sense. She's eating things that may look and taste similar but without any need to be concerned for animals suffering.
Problem is she is concerned for animals suffering. So why eat something that looks and tastes like it, only to concern you even further.

Back