Panic Buying

Asda shop ended up being £20 less than it was meant to be due to missing items, not many were 'essential' i have to admit, but the bread, rolls and washing up liquid i do need in the next few days so going to try somewhere tomorrow. Ended up with quite a lot of porridge in the end as i orderd a 1.5kg box (the choice was limited) and they subbed for two 1kg boxes! i gave some to my parents as i know they use it often too. no bleach so i gave them some of mine and my brother wanted flour and yeast but i told him fat chance of that. jack monroe has a soda bread recipe if you already have some flour but no yeast. didn't go out for my alloted walk time yesterday as the weather was just too horrid (but did have a roast dinner delivery). did my usual work out at home. I've been trying to avoid the shops as much as possible, but i guess ill have to face one now. and if this is going to last til june, i doubt a delivery slot will be gett-able again in the near future. i have some other bits arriving from 'Approved Foods' (who are on topcashback, if you use that) and the lead time has been a week but they have some interesting stuff (random stuff they've picked up at cut price, like the local market near work)

also on my walk realised there is a wholesale fruit and veg place that ive walked past loads of times but never realised. i assume it will be cash only but might be better than going to a shop, depends if there are hundreds of people i guess.

Last edited:
Definitely seems to be settling down, perhaps no more space or cash for the panic buyers
Just walked up to the local Waitrose, no queue outside and reasonably well stocked

Also went in Boots to get a regular scrip, allowing five in at a time and markers on the floor
Again well stocked and no queue to get in, seemed very organised and they are signing the scrips to avoid contact

Bit surprised to see a few stalls out at the regular Monday market, meat, fruit and veg sellers.
Not exactly doing a roaring trade and moaning as usual, some things never change

Surprised its the old that are so crap at observing social distancing in public.
Thought they might have been more careful seeing as they are the most at risk

Bog roll hard to get in delivery but is there some in stores? dont need any yet but thinking just a small pack will put me more at ease. guess ill check when i go out tomorrpw, planning to go to asian/world supermarket type shop

my next door neighbours have two blokes building a shed for them - no direct access to the garden at the back so they hve to come thru house and they are at least late 70s, one is cancer survivor... WHY? not like they suddenly have more time cos of lock down - they are always in anyway!

Bog roll hard to get in delivery but is there some in stores? dont need any yet but thinking just a small pack will put me more at ease. guess ill check when i go out tomorrpw, planning to go to asian/world supermarket type shop

my next door neighbours have two blokes building a shed for them - no direct access to the garden at the back so they hve to come thru house and they are at least late 70s, one is cancer survivor... WHY? not like they suddenly have more time cos of lock down - they are always in anyway!

There was bog roll on the shelf when I went shopping this morning, not sure exactly which makes or pack sizes.
Plenty of the essentials, beer, meat, milk, bread, cheese ,butter, biscuits ,rice, flour and baking Camembert :)

Last edited:
Surprised its the old that are so crap at observing social distancing in public.
Thought they might have been more careful seeing as they are the most at risk

They probably only know what yards, feet an inches are and no idea of what 2m is. ;)

I went to the local Aldi yesterday they had everything no shortage

So now we know the price of the stupidity of some elements of the British public.

Adjustments.JPG

If you're told you have to stay in for 7 days if you get it or 14 in a household what do you think is going to happen? The takeaways and other eating places all shut and nobody is at work. Most of it was a natural consequence of deciding to keep people in without actually having the brain to sort out the supermarket supply system in advance.

Some other data showed the spend was something like 10% above normal. Hardly stock piling and yet it totally cleared out shelves.

If you're told you have to stay in for 7 days if you get it or 14 in a household what do you think is going to happen? The takeaways and other eating places all shut and nobody is at work. Most of it was a natural consequence of deciding to keep people in without actually having the brain to sort out the supermarket supply system in advance.

Some other data showed the spend was something like 10% above normal. Hardly stock piling and yet it totally cleared out shelves.

I was going to say something similar
Big difference between panic buying and sensibly stocking the cupboards to avoid unnecessary trips to the shops.
We bought roughly the same as we would on a regular monthly online shop.
Only been out shopping for perishables and maybe a few luxuries too whilst I was there
Keeps going out to a minimum, after all isn't that what the government is advising?

Last edited:

You’re getting confused. Panic buying was filling a shopping trolley with toilet roll or pasta or rice.

@srichards many takeaways etc are not shut (at least not here anyway), where possible they have been advised to stay open - as many gigs/shows that i was ment to go to have been cancelled, ive been using my favourite local businesses who have switched to takeway since restaturant is closed more than usual to support them and spend the money i would have spent in london. and "nobody is at work" is also not true. As above, panic buying means the somewhat illogical and selfish behaviour of shoppings. no one needs trolleys full of rice/pasta. i think it's obvious that there isn't really time to 'sort out the supermarket supply system in advance' in a situation like this - many things have been forced to adapt because of it, no time to wait til they do it by themselves. I'd rather be in lock down, than waiting for 4 big supermarket chains to sort themselves out - seeing as they really havnt yet and its been over a week.

i hate to think of the waste that is going to occur of people buying too much stuff and then when things are more stable, thinking they dont want 2 tonnes of rice and fed up with it taking up space and just lobbing it. people are buying things they dont normally buy and may not even like really, just because it's the only thing left on the shelf.

Last edited:
many takeaways etc are not shut, where possible they have been advised to stay open - as many gigs/shows that i was ment to go to have been cancelled, ive been using my favourite local businesses who have switched to takeway since restaturant is closed more than usual to support them and spend the money i would have spent in london. and "nobody is at work" is also not true. As above, panic buying means the somewhat illogical and selfish behaviour of shoppings. no one needs trolleys full of rice/pasta. i think it's obvious that there isn't really time to 'sort out the supermarket supply system in advance' in a situation like this - many things have been forced to adapt because of it, no time to wait til they do it by themselves. I'd rather be in lock down, than waiting for 4 big supermarket chains to sort themselves out - seeing as they really havnt yet and its been over a week.

i hate to think of the waste that is going to occur of people buying too much stuff and then when things are more stable, thinking they dont want 2 tonnes of rice and fed up with it taking up space and just lobbing it. people are buying things they dont normally buy and may not even like really, just because it's the only thing left on the shelf.

Excess non perishable food could always be given to food banks, sure they would welcome it.
I did see a few trolleys full of bog rolls, but they were the exception rather than the rule

If someone does a 2 weeks shop instead of a 1 weeks shop is that panic buying?

@tijuana taxi i would hope food banks would be the case but some people aren't that pro active or thoughtful - i worry that those who have acted selfishly now will continue to do so and can't be bothered to then take to a food bank. On my walk yesterday i saw several skips of people obviously having big clear outs and the skip (are they essential delivery? there's two in my street and next door are having a shed built!) was full of things which clearly could have gone to charity shops/boot sales/ etc - obviously they're not going to happe so they dont want to wait and just lobbing it all into landfill. I know recycling and thinking of eco concious things will get shot down by many as not the right thing to focus on right now but it's just painful to see. Wondering how many people bought excess perishable food in all the panic - people waste that sort of stuff of a normal week, let alone panic stations. food banks are the hope, but as we know, many people just aren't that great :-/

well now i'm veering slightly off topic so ill shut up. looking forward to getting some bread later hopefully. and planning to panic buy chinese take away at the weekend. i am also proud of myself for the fact that i really really don't like peas, but because they were part of my roast dinner delivery on sunday, i ate them rather than waste them, luckily they were quite flavourless so once mixed in with the tasty gravy and meat, i hardly knew they were there. i am officially a toddler ha.

@Cockney i wouldn't class that as panic buying myself no (unless it was all bog roll)

Last edited:
Even before the current covid issue supermarkets where always out of stock of something.
It doesn't take much imagination to figure out why that is, they're treading a fine line when they don't keep any meaningful quantities of stock on site.
Clearly, they weren't as prepared as they would normally be for a known product peak.
Prep for Christmas is months in the making, a distribution center I visit has had a 1000 pallets of easter eggs since January 1st.
If they get a bit of an unexpected run on something they are ill equipped to cover it with their lorry to shelf business model.
There will be loons that go nuts on Friday big shop but I don't think panic buyers are the problem.

Agree that there are some fine lines in stock levels/systems, when i used to go to reasonable size tesco a lot, they hardly ever had value porridge oats, thin bleach, brown rolls (but acres of white rolls) and it was almost every time, i emailed them a long the lines of "so if these are so often out of stock, why arent you ordering more and looking at what you're not selling and stock less of those?" - they didn't seem to agree that it was a problem. i switched to online shopping mostly because it came from a different larger store and if they were out of stock, at least i got a sub (the pricer porridge oats that were actually in stock) which i couldnt do if i went to the shop myself. Now i live by an asda so i don't do online shops any more really (used to do them fornightly) and just go in there more often (but does mean i spend more because the online shop i could be more behaved) unless there's something i particularly want from tesco and then i do a bigger shop and get those bits.

So i agree to a certain extend @joxby but it doesn't absolve panic buyers of all blame here.

Some of the store rationing makes little sense.
For example our local Morrisons. Limit 3 bottles wine. Limit 2 tins beans. However 3 wine boxes counts as 3 and you get 2 beans, either 2 x small 2x large or 2 x multipacks of 6 each.

Some of the store rationing makes little sense.
For example our local Morrisons. Limit 3 bottles wine. Limit 2 tins beans. However 3 wine boxes counts as 3 and you get 2 beans, either 2 x small 2x large or 2 x multipacks of 6 each.
Tesco do the same. The other week, after a fortnight of being able to get toilet rolls, they were restricting them to one pack per customer, smallest packs have 4 ( could even be 2) we normally buy a pack of 9. They had packs of 32, so I bought that. Bottled water was the same, one per person, so it was either a single bottle or buy a multi pack, my son gets through about 3 bottles a week, so one bottle wouldn't suffice, so I bought a six pack.
Tesco are restricting biscuits to 3 packs per person, they don't appear to be short of them and hardly an essential item.

some product restrictions eased - hope this doesnt mean mass exodus today when i go!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52102906

i still think 4 of hand soap and hand wash is too many tbh - i think 2 is plenty -obv depends on households but 4 seems like a lot. i'd quite like some at some point! and i will only be buying one...

In the comments ""Valid points re hoarders, but...I am spending on average 44% more each week at the Supermarket on FOOD simply because my kids aren't eating school meals, my partner and I are no longer buying lunch at work and we are also not able to go for our weekly Nandos/Pub meal."" - i get that kids not eating at school is a massive deal for some but surely them both not buying lunch at work and no weekly nandos means that money can be spent on *more* economical lunches with core supplies from supermarket??

Last edited:
my 'trip to a small shops cos they may have more' was a bit crap and a bit stressful. i went to a couple of 'world supermarkets' where social distancing was very hard as aisles were small and no one else seemed to care. no bread so left. went to londis over the road again small so hard to keep distance, again no one else bothering. got a couple of things (no skimmed milk for my aunt, but plenty of other, i thought everyoen hated skimmed milk??) and they had dettol so i thought hey why not. suspiciuosly not priced. i was so keen to get out that it wasnt til i got in the car that i realised the dettol must have been about £6 and all other essentials i had seen (like bog roll) were not labelled. price gouging b*****d.

then i went to lidl where again social distancing seemed to be my concern not others, got bread and few bits but again no skimmed milk. before getting home i then had two options, tesco express and asda. tesco express there was a queue and someone on the door (but still someone tried to walk straight in - do you think we just like standing on the street??) so at least that was managed properly. Finally got the skimmed milk, aisles still small so hard to navigate around and not run inti people, especially as also a staff member with a crate in the aisle. was bit over it by now so didnt bother with asda. couldnt bring myself to pay £3.25 for 4 rolls of andrex when the 18 rolls at home bargains are £4,50 - i guess im not desperate yet. still would like frozen veg.

think ill just go to asda next time as i assume they have proper procedures in place and it's bigger and spread out. i'd sort of like to know they have bog roll before going i there though. i refuse to pay the price gouging game and buy them on line (what i normally buy in home bargians is going for about £30 on ebay) - yesterday i got an email from groupon with two offers for hand sanitzer - 300-400ml of it for £30 (plus shipping) disgusting. i emailed them about it but they are just 'sad i am dispppointed with my order' - i see something has been set up to try and stop price gouging but no report form yet. not sure when 'next time' will be as it was quite stressful. maybe i just wont eat any veg again ever....

*edit* i happened to look at ocado last nught and the page loads but then chukcs you out if you are not on a priorty list they have. my friend at work said he logged onto asda just after midnight and got put in a queue and then tried sainsburys at the same time and got a slot, over the next two days only.i would rather than than the stressful shopping trip again but i bet bog roll still wouldnt be in stock so would feel like a waste?

Last edited:
Just went on to Ocado to edit my next order and apparently i'm now on the priority list, queueing only took a minute
Could have had a delivery this evening, just don't want it yet, got what we need for now especially perishables

Yes, I'm now getting priority queuing. I have a delivery booked for this saturday but the next one is 22nd April so this week's is a bumper order. Does that count as panic buying? ;)

Yes, I'm now getting priority queuing. I have a delivery booked for this saturday but the next one is 22nd April so this week's is a bumper order. Does that count as panic buying? ;)

Sorry Marc, I deleted my post because I felt a bit sorry for those who can't get a delivery

Your situation is a bit similar to mine, got a fair amount in and don't need or want any more yet.
My next delivery is on the 9th and happy to leave it booked for then

Shelf’s pretty much back to normal this morning even toilet paper aisle was fully stocked in Sainsburies.

It's the people booking slots when they could actually just go to the shops that means people who should be priority are having to wait ages.

@Brazo i hope it continues to get better as its getting annoying now. you can't rely on getting those sorts of things in online shopping slots. just hoping my local asda has some in a week or two, maybe ill have to get up early just to get some

It's the people booking slots when they could actually just go to the shops that means people who should be priority are having to wait ages.
Don't forget there are millions of other people that do not fall into the Government 'most at risk' categories but remain at greater risk than the general population. People under 70 who have had for example a stroke or suffer from high blood pressure or other cardio-vascular conditions do not qualify for priority delivery slots but perhaps should be allowed to do their shopping online?

Don't forget there are millions of other people that do not fall into the Government 'most at risk' categories but remain at greater risk than the general population. People under 70 who have had for example a stroke or suffer from high blood pressure or other cardio-vascular conditions do not qualify for priority delivery slots but perhaps should be allowed to do their shopping online?

Absolutely, I'm referring to those of perfectly good health who just can't be arsed to go to the shops.

just like to clarify for myself on the above, that i had the slot booked before total local lock down begun, and i got items for my parents in their 70s as well - yesterdays experience in the shops makes me not want to go in shops again tho! On a better note, the 'Baker street' rye bread i bought from the price gouging b*****d's shop is quite nice and i would buy again (but just not from price gouging b*****d)

just like to clarify for myself on the above, that i had the slot booked before total local lock down begun, and i got items for my parents in their 70s as well - yesterdays experience in the shops makes me not want to go in shops again tho! On a better note, the 'Baker street' rye bread i bought from the price gouging b*****d's shop is quite nice and i would buy again (but just not from price gouging b*****d)

I know someone, who is perfectly healthy, who managed to book 3 slots on 3 consecutive days, same items in each shop. With the plan of cancelling items that come, in case the first delivery doesn't have anything... it's people like that making it much harder

I know someone, who is perfectly healthy, who managed to book 3 slots on 3 consecutive days, same items in each shop. With the plan of cancelling items that come, in case the first delivery doesn't have anything... it's people like that making it much harder

I have a name for people like that but I'd have to ban myself!

Hope my declined priority slot this evening went to someone who needed it more than me.

Someone may be perfectly healthy, but could have someone vulnerable at home.
Far too many judgmental people around of late who may not know the full facts of a situation

I keep getting put in a queue when thru a google search i end up on ocado website and just want to read info about the product or see a price , it says no no! in the queue with you! guy at work who got a sainsburys slot is over 60 and i am wondering what the priority slot cred is as he said he got a slot but on their page it says priortiy people only.

@KitsuneAndy hmm yes, thats just taking the p***. i must check if my parents are taking notice that they could get slots at their age

I've just been to Sainsbury's and they had absolutely everything, including hand sanitizer.
Queue to get in not too long and extremely well observed.
Was out with my bag of general groceries in under 20 minutes.

There was 1 very charming "lady" effing and blinding because she didnt think queueing applied to her, but she was escorted back to her car rather sharply by a constable who was less than impressed.

I assume, because she has was accompanied by 2 young teenagers, that this was considered their daily family exercise.

Reactions: Nod
I assume, because she has was accompanied by 2 young teenagers, that this was considered their daily family exercise.
Walking from and back to the car?
Yeah I guess that counts :D

For Sainsbury's the priority is over 70 or extremely vulnerable. The Gov has given them lists of extremely vulnerable people in England, if you are extremely vulnerable and live in Wales, Scotland or NI you have to call them. If you are over 70 and they have your details from Nectar etc. they should contact you. If you are over 70 and they do not have your details you have to call them.
Someone my wife knows is under 70 but got a slot somehow, perhaps people lie when asked to enter their DoB?

Back