Panic Buying

Our local Tesco are only letting in one family member ( I guess this can be overcome by joining the queue at different times. They are only letting people in 5 at a time, waiting for previous customers to exit. It's taking about an hour to get in.

Same here. They suggested that if you needed to shop for multiple people then you needed to go round for each shopping load.

Mrs Nod's Mum has discovered that her local farm shop will deliver to her (even as a new customer) so we don't need to worry too much about her as far as shopping goes. Waiting for a new list from next door.

Oh FFS! Just got my email/text from Ocado for this afternoon's delivery, no tofu!!! :eek:

Oh FFS! Just got my email/text from Ocado for this afternoon's delivery, no tofu!!! :eek:

Lucky escape!!! I reckon it's the devil's congealed smegma.

my vegan steak
I never got that ... its bean curd fried or grilled or what ever.

.. Same as vegan bacon ...

Steak
noun

1. high-quality beef taken from the hindquarters of the animal, typically cut into thick slices that are cooked by grilling or frying.

Not at all, quite enjoy my vegan steak & chips. ;)
What is vegan steak Marc - sounds like a contradiction?
Love eating meat but actually hate the thought of animals being killed - have to blank that bit from my mind :-(

I never got that ... its bean curd fried or grilled or what ever.

.. Same as vegan bacon ...

Steak
noun

1. high-quality beef taken from the hindquarters of the animal, typically cut into thick slices that are cooked by grilling or frying.
Love eating meat but actually hate the thought of animals being killed - have to blank that bit from my mind :-(

Steak doesn't have to be beef or even meat these days. You can have cauliflower steak which is quite popular these days. Tofu doesn't have any flavour itself so it's all in the marinade. If you slice it, marinate it and fry it until it's crispy, it's very tasty.

Steak doesn't have to be beef or even meat these days.
Has it been redefined then like all genders I keep hearing about ? I must have missed that directive :p

You can have cauliflower steak
Seriously? WTF?
I'll stick to the real thing thanks no imitations here (y)

Wasn't suggesting you try it. :p
I'm Just happy that its not compulsory TBH :D
I've nothing against Cauliflower it goes well with the cheese (y)

TBH totally honest, a few years back my son had multiple food allergies and he was eating "Veggie meat"
I did try it, and it put me right off!
I hope the its improved by now though (y)

Just on the cauliflower thing, since I began Keto diet over a year ago I dropped most high carb foods like spuds, pasta, rice and grain flour based breads - I have been having cauliflower with cheese sauce as a replacement for mash and have to say, it's delicious! I hate cauliflower any other way unless there's a hot cheesey sauce over it, it just works

TBH totally honest, a few years back my son had multiple food allergies and he was eating "Veggie meat"
I did try it, and it put me right off!
I hope the its improved by now though

Meat substitutes like quorn are pretty disgusting although we did pick up some veggie chicken pieces from tesco a few months ago which actually tasted like chicken.

I have been having cauliflower with cheese sauce as a replacement for mash
I agree although I don't use it as a replacement I use it as an addition.
eg roast spuds, real roast beef and that as the veggies (y)

I agree although I don't use it as a replacement I use it as an addition.
eg roast spuds, real roast beef and that as the veggies (y)

My favorite food is fillet steak, med rare, with peppercorn sauce. There is no replacement there. On the spuds, I used to love baby potatoes smothered in salty butter, I do miss that but giving up on bread was a lot harder. I've tried all sorts of alternatives using coconut and almond flour but it's never even close

I find that really curious. Hard to imagine being OK with eating an animal that someone else has killed if I couldn't kill & prepare one myself.

Not trying to find hypocrisy. I know you're not a kid who's only ever seen meat presented in neat plastic dishes, so you should have grown up through the time when there was a very clear connection between field and plate.

My favorite food is fillet steak, med rare, with peppercorn sauce. There is no replacement there. On the spuds, I used to love baby potatoes smothered in salty butter, I do miss that but giving up on bread was a lot harder. I've tried all sorts of alternatives using coconut and almond flour but it's never even close

Did steaks fried in butter (with paprika, black pepper and oregano) for dinner last night. :D

I find that really curious. Hard to imagine being OK with eating an animal that someone else has killed if I couldn't kill & prepare one myself.

Not trying to find hypocrisy. I know you're not a kid who's only ever seen meat presented in neat plastic dishes, so you should have grown up through the time when there was a very clear connection between field and plate.
I've never had to kill and prepare my own meat, my parents never did and I daresay my grandparents never did.

My favorite food is fillet steak, med rare, with peppercorn sauce.
I don't mind a bit of blood but I hate it when they scream when you put the knife in a steak :D

I do miss that but giving up on bread was a lot harder.
Not even "allowed" the whole grain brown?
I went off white bread years ago.
Sarnies for work, I do like the odd wrap now and again.

(y)

I know you're not a kid who's only ever seen meat presented in neat plastic dishes, so you should have grown up through the time when there was a very clear connection between field and plate.
If the apocalypse truly hits there are a lot of people that will starve ;)

As I noted elsewhere there are a lot of people that can't even boil an egg, now the fast food places are all shut they'll have to learn to cook
and pretty damned fast too !

I like steak, but couldn't kill a cow a prepare it myself.
I know that a cow has died so I can eat my steak, but I'm not a butcher .

Problem is, most post-apocalyptic noms are also fast food.
Watching folks chase them should be entertaining, if nothing else.

I don't mind a bit of blood but I hate it when they scream when you put the knife in a steak :D

(y)

As I noted elsewhere there are a lot of people that can't even boil an egg, now the fast food places are all shut they'll have to learn to cook

I've always been a good cook, I do all the meals for the family, I still do their normy foods and my own keto specific stuff on side [I make my own bread for example] - I can have lower carb breads, like I found a sliced pan produced by Pat the Baker over here [not an actual guy named Pat, it's the name of the company :D ] and it's only 9.8g carb per slice. I restrict myself to between 30 and 50g carbs daily so I can have a couple slices of that so long as I just keep check on carbs from other foods. I try to keep high on the [good] fats to counter, like loverly Kerrygold butter, plenty of cheese and the off avocado

(y)

I wont have a chance to cook an egg, have not been able to get any here.

That's a bugger :(
They have started to re-apper here, well that was last week, I've not need to shop since then.

Do need a few bits now, so I'll see what the score is, this coming week .. but reports from family and friends is that most things are back..

Eggs are still in good stock here, I have 3 dozen here atm but they will be turned into an omellette and some buttery scramble over the next couple days - I also use a lot of eggs for my home made breads - what is low stock here is bottled water. I only ever drink flavored water and it's impossible to get it in some areas

I don't get it there is no anti bac hand gel or hand wash soap in any shops but every shop I've been to has show gel & bath soap.
Are the English just washing their hands and nothing else?

The one thing this virus has taught me is, I now wash my hands a lot more than I use to so will carry on. Even when I unpacked new cameras and lenses I have done the hand wash like mad.

I've never had to kill and prepare my own meat, my parents never did and I daresay my grandparents never did.

I like steak, but couldn't kill a cow a prepare it myself.
I know that a cow has died so I can eat my steak, but I'm not a butcher .

Not suggesting we should become a nation of butchers, but I would have *expected* most meat eaters to be comfortable with the idea of killing and preparing an animal for food.

FWIW I've never had a need to kill a cow or sheep either, though I have despatched smaller animals and I'm happy to take a whole dead animal and prepare. If there were a need then I'd certainly have few qualms about killing a live animal for the table.

what is low stock here is bottled water. I only ever drink flavored water and it's impossible to get it in some areas
I add "juice" ( Lemon or Lime mostly) to tap water, bottle it and stick it in the freezer nice and refreshing (y)

Are the English just washing their hands and nothing else?
Well that's all the instruction videos are showing ...
As I've said many times I'm amazed at the amount of people that think washing their hands is a new thing ..
Don't get me started ....

Back