Panic Buying

i do agree with the above, but my aunt has said they are going to go to the shops as she used to treat walking around asda as exercise as she can't walk far & has a stick but can do with the support of the trolley. i wouldn't want her going round on her own without my uncle (not that he is that much better). so i hope there may be exceptions (if this rule has been put in at the asda near us) - they want to treat the shopping as exercise - which i understand so i guess i can be hard for some.

corned beef and spam? have people really not got the message that food supplies are fairly decent and things like that are a bit overkill and just taking away from the people who do actually buy them regulary? so weird.

maybe they can also inform the queue of bog rolls stocks, as this will be the main thing i'll be after when i try this queuing lark.
I like corned beef & onion toasted sandwiches, with a side order of Gaviscon ........

corned beef toastie in a gaviscon jue, 2 birds 1 stone

niiiiiiiice

:hungover:

Morrison's delivery due today, no milk or rice. Just managed to get a slot on the 24th. Decking came today so busy busy.

Morrison's delivery due today, no milk or rice. Just managed to get a slot on the 24th. Decking came today so busy busy.
Our Morrisons had more milk than you could shake a stick at.

@hunnymonster i had no idea this was how costco works and it seems kinda insane - maybe the majority of people do as you did andalways buy again in store. seems weird tho.
You find out how good (or otherwise) a retailer is when things go wrong. That's why my appliance buying generally goes CostCo -> John Lewis -> RicherSounds -> rats! Might have to consider a different device.

I've not set foot in a Dixons group store since long before Dixons stopped being a thing on the "high street"

Shopping in pairs is banned, though that just seems to invite dingbats to take a trolley each.

OR one shops for the couple themselves while my wife gets stuff for her 90 year old mother who can't do her own shopping, especially at the moment. Luckily, we've managed to get her (Mrs Nod's Mum) onto Sainsbury's vulnerable people list so she should be able to get a slot per week now.

In normal times, we shop together - I like food and quite enjoy shopping for it and Mrs Nod is more practical so she deals with the Needs and I get the Wants!

For Sainsbury's the priority is over 70 or extremely vulnerable. The Gov has given them lists of extremely vulnerable people in England, if you are extremely vulnerable and live in Wales, Scotland or NI you have to call them. If you are over 70 and they have your details from Nectar etc. they should contact you. If you are over 70 and they do not have your details you have to call them.
Someone my wife knows is under 70 but got a slot somehow, perhaps people lie when asked to enter their DoB?

My wife called them last week, spent about ten minutes going though automated questions and then it said they were busy and hung up! She tried many times but gave up. Two days ago she received notification that she was on the vulnerable list and guaranteed a slot every week.

I'm not sure if her call info got through or her details had already been passed on by the Gov.

Thanks for that. HMG sent me tin of corned beef in a box of stuff, much of which I don’t usually eat. Corned beef was one of the two thing I used not to eat in in 1940’s so I thought I’d give it a try. They gave me a loaf of sliced white cardboard that had a use by of March 31st 2021. On close inspection, the small print told the retailer it had been frozen and to put a new 2 day date on!

Around 24th march i made a cat food order with Monster supplies and they said their delivery times were likley to be 2 weeks. not urgent so that was ok. still no word on dispatch for that. Ordered from Zooplus last week and it's arriving today - they're doing a lot better with their lead times! My aunt and uncle are going to shop this week and asked if i needed anything. dont want to put much pressure on them getting bits for me so i think ill say im fine and then when i need to go, i can get them things so they dont need to go out again i think. My favorite thai place had their last delivery day last night for a couple of weeks - they've been supplying local hospital too - really admire their dedication and will be continuing to recommend them (had been anyway since my first visit to their restaurant last year and had wonderful food and service and lovely people). Ordered two curries each time so i could freeze one for another time :)

*edit* also now anxious about when i do go to asda as i was told there were measures in place with limits in the store but someone has just tweeted that there is not. i know you can't believe everything on twitter, but still.

Last edited:
My local Tesco superstore is very quiet at 7am weekdays.
Our Tesco is shut until 8 for restocking shelves. NHS and Vulnerable priority shoppers is 9am-10am although they do allow priority throughout the day.
I nipped to Tesco yesterday at around 11am, had to queue for about 30-40mins to get in but plenty of room inside. They are now operating a one way system up and down the aisles, but some people did have trouble observing that, every other till open for which I didn't have to queue. All quite quick and painless.

10:00 ish was fine down here at Sainsbury's. Maybe 5 minutes in the car park queue. Straight to till having found everything we needed and a free 10% charge top-up for the Leaf! Only person not observing the 2m rule was an old bloke who looked well p***ed off so everyone was just staying out of his way!

I've not set foot in a Dixons group store since long before Dixons stopped being a thing on the "high street"

I stopped using them in the mid 1980's when my local camera shop was closed for the day and I went into Dixon's to see if they stocked 120 roll film, I had a Bronica SQ-A at the time. When I asked for it I was assured by the assistant that it was no longer being produced and who then tried to sell me one of their own brand 35 mm fixed lens cameras.

Well it feels like its back to some level of normality food shopping wise around me aside from the social distancing measures (restricting numbers in the stores).
Finally seeing stock of almost everything back on the shelves without any real issue; bizarrely the one thing I've not seen anywhere is lime juice!

Well it feels like its back to some level of normality food shopping wise around me aside from the social distancing measures (restricting numbers in the stores).
Finally seeing stock of almost everything back on the shelves without any real issue; bizarrely the one thing I've not seen anywhere is lime juice!

Is Covid19 now associated with Scurvy ;)

No idea; everytime I do food shopping my wife asks for it so she can have it with her avocado; I don't know whats wrong with Bacon and Egg for Brekkie myself...

You did see my wink, didn't you? What with the bizarre and wierd "out there things" that are being associated/blamed for Covid19 I was being playful & a tad ironic :)

The lime juice can be found in those green ‘eggs’ next to the lemons in the fruit and veg section ;)

They're ba5tards to crack though...

next door's weed supply hasn't taken a hit in these testing times. neither as their constant coughing as they smoke. god i wish they'd go away. surely weed delivery is not essential business. more irritating than usual seeing as i am working from home all day and the door is open for the cat (and to get some air in for me - but instead its just WEED)

next door's weed supply hasn't taken a hit in these testing times. neither as their constant coughing as they smoke. god i wish they'd go away. surely weed delivery is not essential business. more irritating than usual seeing as i am working from home all day and the door is open for the cat (and to get some air in for me - but instead its just WEED)
You know what they say....if you can't beat them....:)

does anyone have any advice on when stores are quieter - in your experience?

Normally its a Friday big shop for us but we were out of milk because we've been donating to half the street..lol
Well I don't want to shop twice so I went to do Friday big shop on a Wednesday morning.
There was no queuing outside, apart from there being a marked increase is crusty shoppers it was pretty quiet.
I imagine people are sticking with their peace time schedule atm, a 9am kickoff seems to be as quiet as it'll be all day round our end.

i'll take @AndrewFlannigan suggestion there @Bobsyeruncle :) - i despise the smell of it and smoking in general & they are toss pots in general. if i won the lottery, i'd pay for them to move house so i could stay here and improve the lives of the entire street (who all hate them).

and now im off topic. google has added a delivery/takeawy filter on google maps - i think i've found the fish and chip delivery i've been searching for.....

im planning on making a fruit cake at the weekend and using skyr yoghurt instead of butter as i don't want to use it up - part of me feels like this is wasting precious flour but bread really isn't that hard to get now so i doubt i'd bother making it

As I managed to drop a full 4 pint carton of milk on the kitchen floor (managed to salvage 2 pints), Mrs F went to the little co-op. They had plenty of everything on the shelves so everything seems to have calmed down. Obviously the recent measures taken by the supermarkets has helped. The panic buyers probably have full garages/sheds and empty bank accounts.

What's with the flour and yeast shortage? Supermarkets don't seem to be re-stocking.

Got bread flour in my Ocado delivery today, no yeast though, wife is talking about making sour dough bread.

Read an article on BBC today that altho there is no shortage in flour - the majority of it is usually delivered in bulk (like tankers or sacks) so there is an issue with depleted workforce to be able to package it for supermarket sale size bags.

@tijuana taxi jack monroe has a soda bread recipe that may be useful - less time consuming https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2019/11/04/soda-bread-recipe-2/

i have some yeast but its old from when i made belgian buns and that was not in this house that i've been in for over 2 years so not sure if it will achieve much - may try tho!

Read an article on BBC today that altho there is no shortage in flour - the majority of it is usually delivered in bulk (like tankers or sacks) so there is an issue with depleted workforce to be able to package it for supermarket sale size bags.

@tijuana taxi jack monroe has a soda bread recipe that may be useful - less time consuming https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2019/11/04/soda-bread-recipe-2/

i have some yeast but its old from when i made belgian buns and that was not in this house that i've been in for over 2 years so not sure if it will achieve much - may try tho!

Thanks Dan, i'll pass that on to the baker

Back