Panic Buying

From The National Food Journal

13th. March 1918

The Government is endeavouring to see that every person has a fair share of food and it is therefore of the greatest importance that every member of the public should assist in maintaining a fair distribution of supplies. They should do this by refraining from buying more than their usual quantities of foodstuffs.
Same sh!t different day.

Its not only health workers that cant get to supermarkets before the Locusts clear the shelves.

Round here it doesn't make it to the shelves
Sainsbury are now adding health workers to their restricted hour for OAPs, well if the can get into the car parks

Why don’t we learn from other countries? In Spain you queue to get in a supermarket and only a certain number are allowed in at a time. That was you control who gets in and when. It would greatly reduce the number of selfish locusts shopping before the shopping hour for the elderly.
It’s not rocket science.

Why don’t we learn from other countries? In Spain you queue to get in a supermarket and only a certain number are allowed in at a time. That was you control who gets in and when. It would greatly reduce the number of selfish locusts shopping before the shopping hour for the elderly.
It’s not rocket science.
A quick google reveals the Spanish supermarkets only started doing that 4 days ago, prior to that, it was likely just as bad as everywhere else.

It’s not rocket science.
We will be doing that when lockdown starts.

My son has taken his Nan to their local Tesco this morning to do her weekly shop. They got there at 5:30am and had 20 or so people in the queue in front of them, within 15 minutes, the back of the queue was out of sight.

We dont need any shopping today or tomorrow but perhaps we should go and buy loads of stuff any way ;)

Managed to get into the Ocado site last night but was only able to remove unwanted items, could,'t add any. Hoping what was ordered is what comes.

Wife forgot dog food with the home delivery yesterday, Nipped out 8am thinking i might have to make multiple stops and B&M was first, quiet almost all shelves restocked and only soap/loo rolls etc were limited.

It’s not rocket science.

Because some countries have an egoistic attitude believing that there way is better and prefer not to follow ideas that they haven’t brought about themselves.....nothing knew tbh , however this present situation really is confirming just how selfish, mindless, arrogant and blatantly stupid we can be as a species.

Because some countries have an egoistic attitude believing that there way is better and prefer not to follow ideas that they haven’t brought about themselves.....nothing knew tbh , however this present situation really is confirming just how selfish, mindless, arrogant and blatantly stupid we can be as a species.
It is but the panic buying has occurred in Italy too but only stopped when people could ‘eventually’ see food back on the shelves.

We dont need any shopping today or tomorrow but perhaps we should go and buy loads of stuff any way ;)

Why? To become one of the selfish fools and add to the chaos?
There is no evidence that any shortage of provisions is likely.....quite the contrary so if you are not down to your last mouthfuls of food, why take the risk of being infected with Covid 19 whilst battling with crowds that have no concern for anything but their own stomachs.?
Your choice, but personally I would prefer to avoid being unwell.

I have a genuine concern over how a similar situation of obtaining supplies could very easily blow into mini massacres over in the States given how owning a firearm is the norm for many.
Are they likely to put a controlled system in place to avoid panic buying? I would like to think so but in reality, doubt it will happen.

Why? To become one of the selfish fools and add to the chaos?
There is no evidence that any shortage of provisions is likely.....quite the contrary so if you are not down to your last mouthfuls of food, why take the risk of being infected with Covid 19 whilst battling with crowds that have no concern for anything but their own stomachs.?
Your choice, but personally I would prefer to avoid being unwell.

I have a genuine concern over how a similar situation of obtaining supplies could very easily blow into mini massacres over in the States given how owning a firearm is the norm for many.
Are they likely to put a controlled system in place to avoid panic buying? I would like to think so but in reality, doubt it will happen.

Did you notice the winking emo ?

The sooner 'courtesy and consideration' are restored the better, as it seems some of our population have forgotten how to behave.

Tbh much of the world’s population seems to have forgotten how to behave/ remain respectful to others regardless of our present situation with covid.

A quick google reveals the Spanish supermarkets only started doing that 4 days ago, prior to that, it was likely just as bad as everywhere else.

You use google, I use my friends as sources. You say 4 days ago, yet this photo of one of my friends in the queue to enter Mercadona was published on información.com on Monday, that’s 5 days ago. Now take into account most supermarkets there don’t open Sunday so the regulation came into effect when the quarantine was first implemented.
The point is, they and not us have implemented measures to stop the kind of behaviour seen in the U.K.
As I said, it’s not rocket science.

3f0d8760-4782-44cf-8a96-8238e449d0fa.jpg

Last edited:
It is but the panic buying has occurred in Italy too but only stopped when people could ‘eventually’ see food back on the shelves.

You make it sound like panic buying has to be accepted because other countries ( inc France where I live) have experienced it and therefore it’s the norm and part of what has to happen everywhere else as lockdowns spread to a wider audience.

People are pathetic, it is actually shameful to be part of society tbh. We have a natural ability to be able to rise above egoism, selfishness or any other of our chosen behaviours , and yes they are chosen!!, but no, in effect the vast majority follow like sheep!

Last edited:
Did you notice the winking emo ?

My appologies,I actually did yes but for some reason ( high emotions perhaps) it didn’t register thus my response.
Anyway my reply is still valid even if not to you directly but to anyone else who is considering stocking up.;)

You make it sound like panic buying has to be accepted because other countries ( inc France where I live) have experienced it and therefore it’s the norm and part of what has to happen everywhere else as lockdowns spread to a wider audience.

People are pathetic, it is actually shameful to be part of society tbh. We have a natural ability to be able to rise above egoism, selfishness or any other of our chosen behaviours , bd yes they are chosen!!, but no, in effect the vast majority follow like sheep!
Not at all I’m just trying to give some hope that it can normalise despite the pricks

Have a mate in Thailand and the panic buying has just started today, with them its water as you cant drink the tap water where he lives, he isn't too bothered because he owns a language school which has had to be closed but he has full water tank and filter system in it.

Just got back from Tesco, freezers were pretty much empty, as was fresh meat and alot of the veg. No toilet rolls, thankfully we don't need any. No tissues, no sanitary towels, I get through a couple of packets of mixed nuts a week, they were all sold out, had to buy two different packets of nuts instead, no chocolate other than easter eggs.
No eggs, very little jam, no cat litter, hardly any cat food, no washing powder or capsules.
I am intrigued to know if people have been out and bought additional freezers, or were they always empty before
My daughter was out buying an external drive at Currys/PC World on Thursday - they had sold out of freezers, monitors, computers and TVs

My daughter was out buying an external drive at Currys/PC World on Thursday - they had sold out of freezers, monitors, computers and TVs

Same for the local Currys to me. I wonder how long it will be until the thieves in our society figure out that a lot of sheds and garages may have fully stocked freezers in them?

Same for the local Currys to me. I wonder how long it will be until the thieves in our society figure out that a lot of sheds and garages may have fully stocked freezers in them?

That thought had occurred to me. The parasites and vermin in society always remain parasites and vermin irrespective of the circumstances.

People are pathetic, it is actually shameful to be part of society tbh. We have a natural ability to be able to rise above egoism, selfishness or any other of our chosen behaviours , and yes they are chosen!!, but no, in effect the vast majority follow like sheep!

If panic buying cannot be stopped (and it must be stopped now) then the alternative is rationing.
Britain had 14 years of rationing (1940 - 54). Towards the end of it I can recall accompanying my mother to the local Co-op every Friday where she handed over her ration book in order to be given the weekly allowance of some foods.
Research shows that during the worst shortage food was severely rationed .......... a few examples of weekly allowance. 50g butter, 1 egg, 4 rashers bacon, 57 g tea.

Damned annoying thing is that no one is grasping the nettle and taking all these greedy buyers by the scruff of the neck etc. Politicians, supermarket bosses etc. repeatedly saying that there is no need for panic buying is just a waste of words and air. Words are falling on deaf ears !

My stepdaughter reserved a computer for her son from argos last night called today to pick it up and it had gone up £50 since reserving it, she told them to stuff it but the way things are selling they won't care.

My stepdaughter reserved a computer for her son from argos last night called today to pick it up and it had gone up £50 since reserving it, she told them to stuff it but the way things are selling they won't care.

I don't like this at all :( Shouldn't they guarantee the price at the point of reservation? If small sellers are getting fined for price hiking, they should too, but we know that won't happen.

You use google, I use my friends as sources. You say 4 days ago, yet this photo of one of my friends in the queue to enter Mercadona was published on información.com on Monday, that’s 5 days ago. Now take into account most supermarkets there don’t open Sunday so the regulation came into effect when the quarantine was first implemented.
The point is, they and not us have implemented measures to stop the kind of behaviour seen in the U.K.
As I said, it’s not rocket science.

View attachment 272439
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....s-amid-coronavirus-panic-buying-in-spain/amp/

I suppose you will now say because this is an English language publication for experts in spain, it is akin to the Daily Mail.
It's not the only source that says the Spanish were panic buying.

You really do insist on missing the point don’t you. They have implemented measures to deal with the issue. We have not. That is the point.
Think you will find many supermarkets in the uk already have. I drive past a chemist every afternoon and they have had a queue outside all week, with people standing a couple of metres apart.

No semi-skimmed milk so I bought a pint of full fat and a pint of skimmed. I shall mix the two together - result.

The staff I spoke to in Tesco told me the warehouses are full, they just can't deliver to stores quickly enough.

But shops are closing early to replenish the shelves before the next day, within a couple of hours of opening stripped bare. This has been going on for a week with no signs of abating.

One muppet is boasting on social media that his garage is now full of food with a "fyjia" attitude (*** you Jack, I'm all right) Hope the rats get it

Seems to be getting worse, with many disregarding the early morning slot for OAP's and others

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/18...customers-total-disrespect-elderly-residents/

The retired policewoman said: "I was there shopping for my elderly mother but it was absolute mayhem. No one was being checked at the door, it was packed from 7am until 9am despite it being for the elderly. It's a total disrespect! Elderly shoppers were being pushed aside, and I even saw a younger woman take a toilet roll from an older woman's trolley but staff didn't seem to care. I was shocked by how people were being treated, it's an absolute farce."

Another shopper at a Southampton Tesco Store said: "I went there this morning to get a few bits. People Pushing and shoving. Was particularly appalled at an old lady being pushed out of the way for the last packet of free range eggs."

Last edited:
The major supermarkets need to restrict purchases to one per customer not 3 ... and enforce it properly.

I no longer go into my local Asda because of the appalling behaviour being displayed there .... mostly it seems by 30-50 age groups with all their kids with them! :runaway:

The major supermarkets need to restrict purchases to one per customer not 3 ... and enforce it properly.

I no longer go into my local Asda because of the appalling behaviour being displayed there .... mostly it seems by 30-50 age groups with all their kids with them! :runaway:

I understand what your saying but if you restrict it to say 1 we will all have to go more often putting those of us in the vulnerable group at even more risk

If you are stuck with only having one of something at a time then you have to go shopping more often which rather defeats the object of avoiding unnecessary contact. It can't be hard to tell who buys what and who is suddenly buying loads more than they need from previous purchase data.

Back