Panoramas/Collages/Stitches

Couple of really good shots there, but especially like that first one. Got some great clouds there!

A lot of nice panoramas , Probably this is one of my favorite style. Keep going guys. cheers

A few oldie's from me, back when I used to be able to get into the hills...

Skiddaw and Blencathra by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Cat Bells and Beyond by The Big Yin, on Flickr

back o' skiddaw by The Big Yin, on Flickr

(I know the last one's on the wonk, but in my defence, It was something like -15c, and I was struggling to hold a tiny ikkle Canon Ixus V3 without my fingers freezing to the metal!)

And an unusual one for me... it's got somebody in it!

Looking Down Blencathra Ridge by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Last edited:
Well, this is the oldest stitch I have in my possession - a two shotter taken at an open day at Reigate bus garage in July 1983. For years it existed only as two separate 6x4 prints until I scanned the negs and put them together in Photoshop last year. :)

TL4 by cybertect, on Flickr

I've bunch of others in my Panoramas set on Flickr, but here are a few of my favs.

I took this from the top of the Strata Tower at Elephant and Castle during a visit with some skyscraper enthusiasts last June

Strata London Panorama by cybertect, on Flickr

This the previous summer from Rotherhithe

London & The Thames from Rotherhithe by cybertect, on Flickr

and this is dawn over Plymouth at the end of 2009

Dawn over Plymouth by cybertect, on Flickr

nice thread and some great panoramas. i've had a few goes and i find verticals and horizontal lines really difficult to keep level. are the above all hand held or tripod?

I did this on a little Nikon compact a few years ago, about 8 shots stiched together in Photoshop.

p668398359-4.jpg

Stunning colours, love it :D

nice thread and some great panoramas. i've had a few goes and i find verticals and horizontal lines really difficult to keep level. are the above all hand held or tripod?

Remember that a lot of times you'll straighten in Photoshop anyway. As long as it's fairly close to horizontal you should have a bit of room to fix it up.

That's impressive Terry! Like the geometry feel to it. I have a couple myself on the memory card waiting for processing. Hopefully get one of em up later

That's impressive Terry! Like the geometry feel to it. I have a couple myself on the memory card waiting for processing. Hopefully get one of em up later

Cheers, quite pleased with it considering its my first and completely unplanned. I literally just stepped off the bus and had to struggle with my luggage. I don't even think I remembered to set the camera up properly. Quite impressed with Microsoft ICE, its basic but does everything you need (and its free!)

Love your Gherkin stitch, how long does it take to do the stitch manually?

Cheers, quite pleased with it considering its my first and completely unplanned. I literally just stepped off the bus and had to struggle with my luggage. I don't even think I remembered to set the camera up properly. Quite impressed with Microsoft ICE, its basic but does everything you need (and its free!)

Love your Gherkin stitch, how long does it take to do the stitch manually?

Depends on the stitch really. That Gherkin one probably took about 30 minutes max. A lot of that is just messing about trying to get it how I see it in my head. The Trafalgar square one probably took me over an hour... probably close to about 1 hour 30 mins.

It's addictive though. Once you start you get lost in the whole process. It's quite enjoyable and actually quite rewarding too I find!

3 photos taken vertically and stitched

011-Mt-Hood-Trillioum-lake-V-Pan.jpg

I was about to ask where this was taken as it looks like Trillioum Lane/Mount Hood in Oregon but then when I quote you I saw the file name, Have you seen the work of Gary Randall, he is simply brilliant and is based very close to mount hood

You effort is very good, I love stitched images

Matt
MWHCVT

Thanks Mathew. No I have not seen Garrys work I will Google him. The photo I am surprised I got anything at all as this was a driving holiday and I got a pinched nerve in the neck that resulted in intense pain in my left shoulder all the way down to my fingers.
So I was on oxycodone and rum & coke before I could even think about moving. My wife had taken a fall a couple of days before and had a broken shoulder, unbeknown to us at the time. So I left to get a great dawn shot by myself arriving there at 4:30 in the pitch dark and wondering should I get out of the car....or are there bears in the area?.
We had driven from the north side of Mt hood to this point on the south side of the Mt and had planed on going to the west side where there was a great waterfall that I wanted to shoot, but it was a long hike to get to it and with our injuries I had to pass on it.
We have done a couple of drive tours around this area, Portland OR on to Columbia river gorge, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming back to Idaho, Or (the coast road is out of this world) and then back up the west side of Washington. What a trip I will be doing it again. I would advise any scenic tog to do this trip...take plenty of storage you will need it.

Last edited:
cdiver2 said:
Thanks Mathew. No I have not seen Garrys work I will Google him. The photo I am surprised I got anything at all as this was a driving holiday and I got a pinched nerve in the neck that resulted in intense pain in my left shoulder all the way down to my fingers.
So I was on oxycodone and rum & coke before I could even think about moving. My wife had taken a fall a couple of days before and had a broken shoulder, unbeknown to us at the time. So I left to get a great dawn shot by myself arriving there at 4:30 in the pitch dark and wondering should I get out of the car....or are there bears in the area?.
We had driven from the north side of Mt hood to this point on the south side of the Mt and had planed on going to the west side where there was a great waterfall that I wanted to shoot, but it was a long hike to get to it and with our injuries I had to pass on it.
We have done a couple of drive tours around this area, Portland OR on to Columbia river gorge, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming back to Idaho, Or (the coast road is out of this world) and then back up the west side of Washington. What a trip I will be doing it again. I would advise any scenic tog to do this trip...take plenty of storage you will need it.

It's sounds like a wonderful holiday that would have been so much better without the injuries, it is my intension to visit this part of the world within the next 5 years

Here's a link to Gary on flickr, I could spend days looking through his work

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rowdey/

Matt

It's sounds like a wonderful holiday that would have been so much better without the injuries, it is my intension to visit this part of the world within the next 5 years

Here's a link to Gary on flickr, I could spend days looking through his work

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rowdey/

Matt

I did take a look at Garrys work...great stuff a few of the places he has photographs off I have been. Ponytail falls is in Columbia river gorge and that is a must see place, more waterfalls than you can shake a stick at. If you do Google Earth for it and take a look at all the photographs around that place it is amazing.
If you do plan a visit and I am looking for a a hol at the same time I would be happy to show you around and share petrol expenses.
Just remember in the height of tourist season it is a mad house and it can be hard to get a room for a night, we always go about Oct when things slow down a bit and then you can get deals on motel rooms.

Stunning Dunraven Bay sunset by GarethJohns, on Flickr

Recently spent the day at Southendown on the Glamorgan Heritage Coast, such a stunning day with clear blue skys will a little cloud forming just before sunset.

12 shot panoramic
Nikon D5000
18mm
Iso 200
1/8s @ f11

I waded through knee deep snow to get this one of Tal-y-Lyn lake from Corris Corner:
Panorama from Corris Corner (2010-01-09) 800px Wide.jpg

Last edited:
Back