Park cameras sent used not new

Edit My Images
No
Anyone else take advantage of the pen f kit black Friday offer at Park?
If so check it carefully, mine arrived today, clearly used, various marks and scratches, battery installed, even had a shutter count of nearly five thousand!
Needless to say email sent and awaiting their response.
I know it is how suppliers respond to issues that matters and I assume they will do so properly in this case but I struggle to understand how they can mix used with new equipment I felt the fact it has happened at all warranted a heads up here.
Had an autoreply saying they intend to respond within 2 days so let's see.....

Warranted a heads up? Why don't you wait and see what their reply is before chipping off? At least give them a chance to respond to what may well be an error.

May be an error? Of course it is an error but to answer your question....
Because as already stated an "error" such as this should be impossible if used/returned goods are not stored with new ones, because it has caused me to waste time having to document it back to them, because it is bad service from a company regardless of how they solve it after the event, because (as stated, others may have ordered, and may appreciate knowing to check theirs rather than wait for example it could be a gift given the time of year) this is not a faulty or incorrect item in which case I would agree with you.
Hth.
Thought it clear but for those unsure....my intent was of course to be posting the outcome hence the "awaiting response" and "we'll see".

Last edited:
Complaining on line first seems to be the coming trend. If Park Cameras are rushed off their collective feet, it is very easy for poor overworked picker to grab the wrong box.

Not unless used equipment is stored amongst new it shouldn't be easy at all, sorry my point seems so vague, as said this is not an incorrect or faulty item but a used one sent instead of a new one, whatever the reason a company such as Park should have systems in place to avoid such an issue.

B1ts isn't 'chipping off' he's raising a valid concern and regardless of how Park deal with it it's worth getting out there. Likewise poor overworked picker shouldn't be going anywhere near used equipment when looking for new unless the company have a poor stock handling regime.

Christmas the most wonderful time of year :)..... Hope it gets sorted park are usually pretty good so I expect it will be dealt with promptly

Complaining on line first seems to be the coming trend. If Park Cameras are rushed off their collective feet, it is very easy for poor overworked picker to grab the wrong box.

It's not the first time this has happened, we've had a few instances reported of this before, some on here
However they're customer service is usually good so I expect it to be resolved promptly.

Last edited:
Not unless used equipment is stored amongst new it shouldn't be easy at all, sorry my point seems so vague, as said this is not an incorrect or faulty item but a used one sent instead of a new one, whatever the reason a company such as Park should have systems in place to avoid such an issue.
SOMETHING has to be stored next to the item you want. If the very busy picker mistakenly grabs the box next to the one he intended then you get the wrong item. It is not really relevant whether the wrong box was second hand or a cheaper model or Nikon rather than Canon or whatever.

Yeah OK, store used and new of the same item next to each other? Yeah that's sensible. Clearly. Pretty relevant IMHO ymmv and obviously does.

Yeah OK, store used and new of the same item next to each other? Yeah that's sensible. Clearly. Pretty relevant IMHO ymmv and obviously does.
Why is new/old next to each other worse than any other combination? The picker is not studying the items to see if he had the right one, he will solely be looking at bin numbers, he won't know or care about what is in the bin.

Why is new/old next to each other worse than any other combination? The picker is not studying the items to see if he had the right one, he will solely be looking at bin numbers, he won't know or care about what is in the bin.
Really? You need to ask that? No wonder you struggled to see my point then.
Btw you answered your own question in that post.

Once bought a used lens from Park which didn't have a lens cap (absence wasn't mentioned in the description).

I contacted them and they sent a cap out... but I actually received an empty paper envelope with a mark showing where the ring once was.

I gave up at that point...

No idea how Park do it but generally the person picking the item needs to scan it, if they get the wrong bar code it should flag up. I suspect a returned item has been put back into stock as new.

Quick update as no response to email as yet (autoreply did say up to 2 days though) but not wanting to risk it being out of stock by then decided to give a call to see the position.
They are indeed out of stock, no more until second week of December and they cannot supply it separately as it will cost me more (not that I asked them to, he suggested it then said I would have to pay more for it). Waiting for a call back now as he did not know what the returns procedure was for the used one....
Quite an unsurprised sounding apology and no reasons given.

Just noting progress.

Last edited:
Quick update as no response to email as yet (autoreply did say up to 2 days though) but not wanting to risk it being out of stock by then decided to give a call to see the position.
They are indeed out of stock, no more until second week of December and they cannot supply it separately as it will cost me more (not that I asked them to, he suggested it then said I would have to pay more for it). Waiting for a call back now as he did not know what the returns procedure was for the used one....

Just noting progress.

I'm not entirely sure what your expecting to get from this eventually, but I'd be making the point firmly that they took your money to supply a certain kit at a specific price and failed to do so. You're presumably asking them to supply a new kit at the price you've already paid, and it should be up to them to swallow any price difference. Having been sold a display model of a DVD player once in place of the new one "which we have in our storeroom if you can drop by later and pick it up", I was made to look a cheapskate as it was for a present. The guy wasn't even repentant when I took it back, but they're out of business now.

Ever since Quality Assurance (ISO) came into being the quality of products and services has plummeted!

Not in my company. Mind we supplied a service not goods.

As you might know ISO 9001 in my case just says write down your procedures and stick to them. Does not actually say the procedures have to be any good. :)

As you might know ISO 9001 in my case just says write down your procedures and stick to them. Does not actually say the procedures have to be any good. :)

Yep ... more time shuffling paper to track than giving good product/service.

Just noting progress.

Now that IS a bit shoddy and possibly what you should have waited to post.

It would have had more impact as the opener rather than being lost in the midst of a thread.

Your’e taking this very calmly, if it was me I’d have been on the phone at the first opportunity, certainly not email, and poke up with potentially waiting 2 days for a reply!!

How on earth did you let the guy get off the phone without them, at theory least, offering you a full refund and to cover your postage?

Isn’t there law against selling S/H goods as new? DemiLion ?

Am I missing something?

Your’e taking this very calmly, if it was me I’d have been on the phone at the first opportunity, certainly not email, and poke up with potentially waiting 2 days for a reply!!

How on earth did you let the guy get off the phone without them, at theory least, offering you a full refund and to cover your postage?

Isn’t there law against selling S/H goods as new? DemiLion ?

Am I missing something?

Email was because they were closed last night. Phoned today as exactly that was not putting up with a 2 day wait.
I can have a refund (as stated earlier this was a black friday deal so not like I can order elsewhere at same price) or wait until mid December. Did not let him off the phone exactly, he said he needed to find out what the returns procedure was and would call me back, as yet not done so.

Now that IS a bit shoddy and possibly what you should have waited to post.

It would have had more impact as the opener rather than being lost in the midst of a thread.

Or possibly not since although you disagree I stick by my initial feeling that this was worth mentioning, in your version should they have offered a different outcome no one would be the wiser about what appears at least to be a bit of a pattern, assume you saw the other posts in this thread.

Equally I could say It may have had more impact if you had not objected to it initially and caused some of the posts, left alone this would so far have only needed to be 2 posts from me and plainly set out events to date, rather than having to explain why some may feel it right to use the suppliers forum to point out a failing with a supplier.

I'm not entirely sure what your expecting to get from this eventually, but I'd be making the point firmly that they took your money to supply a certain kit at a specific price and failed to do so. You're presumably asking them to supply a new kit at the price you've already paid, and it should be up to them to swallow any price difference. Having been sold a display model of a DVD player once in place of the new one "which we have in our storeroom if you can drop by later and pick it up", I was made to look a cheapskate as it was for a present. The guy wasn't even repentant when I took it back, but they're out of business now.
Basically the kit I ordered for the price it was ordered for. Which I will, but not for another 2 weeks or so.....and currently no idea what to do with the used one as they have not told me when or how they are collecting it.

I did make that point but seemed to fall on deaf ears, refund or wait basically.

I can't expect them to supply what they now don't have, albeit being down to fault their end.

Otherwise I "expect" the thread to disseminate my experience for others to either find of use or not as they see fit.

Not sure what else one could "expect", unless you think I should only post out of total self interest? At best I suppose I could hope they may be able to source a kit sooner but will have to see what they say, will see if I get the promised call back by end of tomorrow re collection (no point my stressing over their collection schedule more than they seem to be).

Not in my company. Mind we supplied a service not goods.

Nor is ISO9001 in any way a quality assurance of the actual product or service being supplied. There are many other testing regimes to cover that. It is a QMS - Quality Management System.

If the procedures state that every Friday morning, Yellow printer cartrudges will be filled with Mauve ink and instead the manufacturer fills them with Yellow that would be a non-conformity in the Quality System. (It was slightly stronger in BS5750 - which was used to script the International standards (9001/9002/9003 - now just 9001)).

So pocess not product. Park's own system (of whatever flavour) has failed in every way.

Last edited:
Bit odd, their return policy is quite clear https://www.parkcameras.com/returning-an-item

I'd get it straight back, followed with a letter of complaint to the manager, and make sure you have pictures of the used body and serials.

Appreciate it if you could point me to the incorrectly supplied goods returns part of that quite clear page ta.
All I have found is if I change my mind and want a refund. Also it states to email (done) or call (also done) to get the returns authorisation number, instead I got told he had to call me back so don't see how I could send it straight back using that info, not as yet anyway?

Pics supplied in initial email but the guy on the phone didn't want the ticket ref the email generatec as he wasn't bothered about seeing pics, happy to just take my word for it, but they have them anyway as do I and the serial matched the box etc.

Trouble is sending it straight back (and letter writing at this stage), apart from more wasted time on my part, won't speed up the replacement, personally I would prefer them to just pick it up when dropping the correct one but I doubt that will be feasible, just don't know before hearing back. Will just see if I get the promised call by end of day tomorrow....

Last edited:
But unfortunately there not the only company doing this a few years ago I bought a new Nikon D7100 from a well known camera group of shops ,one that's still in business today ,I was initially happy with it but after 3000+ shutter actuation it suffered a total failure ,I took it back and after inspection it was replaced with another brand new one ,this was a super performer and after a couple of days I registered it on nikon u.k site for the warranty as I had the previous one ,4 weeks later and at just over 3000 actuation it also suffered total menu failure I again took it back to the shop and with no argument (strange I thought) I got a total refund .

Now totally peed off with Nikon I sold my lenses etc and changed to canon

However the story doesn't end there as a few weeks later I received a e.mail from Nikon u.k asking why someone else was trying to register the second camera for warranty as it was registered to me .i replied telling them the history and not heard anything since .i haven't got a clue but it doesn't take much working out ? Caveat emptor

There are times when I just hate the internet! For heaven's sake let's get down to some old fashioned values and communicate with other people or businesses before slagging them off. If you think we live in a perfect world then you are bound to come up with constant disappointments. Mistakes happen and they are not always made by the seller.
Pick up the phone, speak to somebody if you haven't already done so.
There was a time of course when we went into a shop, saw what we wanted, checked it over, and bought it if the price was right. Now we expect to click a couple of times, see what we think we want, purchase unseen, stick it on a credit card, get it delivered in next to no time, and moan like **** if it's not delivered in 24 hours, and is not what we expected. That's progress?

Ever since Quality Assurance (ISO) came into being the quality of products and services has plummeted!
Depends who is implementing it and if the company embraces it.
As you might know ISO 9001 in my case just says write down your procedures and stick to them. Does not actually say the procedures have to be any good.
Your internal audits and non-conformance's should determine this to make improvements
Yep ... more time shuffling paper to track than giving good product/service.
Its documenting that gives you full traceability, improvements to procedures, products and service run along side.

The important issues here are investigate, solution, implementation and feedback to secure customer satisfaction and hopefully loyalty.

Last edited:
Selling a new product that turns out to be faulty happens, reasonable to assume that the seller didn't know and hopefully they will deal with the issue promptly ... selling used as new just shouldn't happen! As a customer I should not have to waste my time and resources because a seller can't be bothered to check that he/she is sending me a product that hasn't been used before.
This sort of thing happens too often and just shows sloppy customer service, no wonder many people use reputable overseas suppliers who know what customer service is.

Allow it to be dealt with in an appropriate time frame.

If this has failed to happen, send a formal complaint in writing with a full explanation, all the serials / photos as above, and all the times / dates you have contacted the company trying to resolve this and the names of any people spoken to.
Make sure you photocopy the letter too, so you can retain a copy.

The company should have an effective complaints policy and should reply to a formal written complaint. If this doesnt happen, you can escalate.

If the procedures state that every Friday morning, Yellow printer cartrudges will be filled with Mauve ink and instead the manufacturer fills them with Yellow that would be a non-conformity in the Quality System. (It was slightly stronger in BS5750 - which was used to script the International standards (9001/9002/9003 - now just 9001)).
Steve, you need to update your view of ISO9001.. what you've descried would have been about par for the course pre-millenium but there have been two major revisions to the standard since then. The deliberate procedured error would be a failing against the standard and has been for over a decade. Although I do still come across the odd QMS written in the old style that's slipped past one of the lower division certifying bodies.

I returned a faulty lens to a well known supplier who also carry used stock, they had the lens up for sale in their used section the day after I returned it. As fate would have it, a member here bought that very same lens. Guess what...still faulty.

So nothing surprises me really, but supplying used as new seems worryingly common.

There are times when I just hate the internet! For heaven's sake let's get down to some old fashioned values and communicate with other people or businesses before slagging them off. If you think we live in a perfect world then you are bound to come up with constant disappointments. Mistakes happen and they are not always made by the seller.
Pick up the phone, speak to somebody if you haven't already done so.
There was a time of course when we went into a shop, saw what we wanted, checked it over, and bought it if the price was right. Now we expect to click a couple of times, see what we think we want, purchase unseen, stick it on a credit card, get it delivered in next to no time, and moan like **** if it's not delivered in 24 hours, and is not what we expected. That's progress?

LOL - did I ever tell you my stories about Jessops, how they tried to sell me a new 40D that was ex display, then stuck a label over the box so it was new unused. It still had a jessops CF card in it with photos of the staff.

Or the time they replaced my 40D under warranty with a shop used 50D, scratched and battered, rather than the new 50D I paid the difference for.
Or the time I drove to Bath for a new Tripod head, only to find them trying to pass off a ex demo (taken off the display as I walked in the shop would you believe) with the action built from sandpaper. Again sealed box with a label...

OP, you contacted with them to deliver an item at a price. I'd ask them when you are getting your item and what they are going to do about making up for the additional wait.
Then you can decide if to return or not, but surely they should pay the cost.

Personally, they'd have lost my trust at this point and I'd go elsewhere even if it costs slightly more...

Steve, you need to update your view of ISO9001.. what you've descried would have been about par for the course pre-millenium but there have been two major revisions to the standard since then. The deliberate procedured error would be a failing against the standard and has been for over a decade. Although I do still come across the odd QMS written in the old style that's slipped past one of the lower division certifying bodies.
Alastair

It was very much a tongue in cheek quip. I hate sub-optimisation in systems, devalues the whole thing.

I am retired but still up to date on 9001/14001 and I still do a few days here and there on pre-assessment checks (I did the necessary courses for the Assessor role). Was on the UKAS 14001 development group till 2006 and also delivered a couple of IMSs with OHSAS18001 added to the mix.

Been shadowing a guy doing ISO22301 BCP as it was a role I did years ago, pre standard.

My daily rates are fair [emoji6]

Steve

Back