Park Cameras

Name
daniel
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

There is a used camera at Park Cameras, described as good condition with moderate wear, but no photo's.

Are Park Cameras to be trusted with their description?

Thank you.

I have had no issues with Park Cameras. I bought one camera body and a few lenses off them with no issues. Buying camera stuff unseen is always scary !

Hi,

There is a used camera at Park Cameras, described as good condition with moderate wear, but no photo's.

Thank you.
Probably just came in and they have not had time to upload any images. Bought from them before and had no problems

They are going to upload some photos for me tomorrow.

Interestingly, on shutter count, I was having a look at the d300s as they are pretty cheap now, and there is one on MPB with a 587,000 shutter count! How long do they go on for?

I stll have a nikon D300 but the D300s does videos as well . that is a DX camera not full frame ,that came with the D700/D700s range later on

Last edited:

Interestingly, on shutter count, I was having a look at the d300s as they are pretty cheap now, and there is one on MPB with a 587,000 shutter count! How long do they go on for?

Mean Time Between Failures for the D300S is quoted at 150K

That's an average, probably distributed along a bell-shaped curve, so you will get some outliers that will go on for a lot longer just as some shutters fail the first day they are used.

Thank you all. They have uploaded the photo's.

I was looking at the d7000 as an upgrade to my d90 (really I just have GAS), but I love the d90 and I decided the d7000 isn't really the upgrade I'm looking for. So I've decided I think I'm going to go full frame and get a d700.

The conundrum now is, do I buy one with 150k shutter count or spend another 50%~ for one with 100k shutter count or under?

The conundrum now is, do I buy one with 150k shutter count or spend another 50%~ for one with 100k shutter count or under?

I would expect overall condition to be much more important than 100 vs 150k shutter actuations. Look for lens mount and contact surface wear, rubbing on buttons etc.

Wow, thank you. Maybe I will concern myself more with overall condition than shutter count, then.

I wouldnt touch a D300 with a count that high.

I probably wouldn't, either.
I have had a look at Park Cameras d700 offerings and there are loads to choose from. I would go for the lowest shutter count you can afford. Forget about condition because just one tiny rub or scratch is likely all that would be 'wrong' with the camera body and this would then be the description "Showing signs of wear".

Park have a D700 on their site at the moment for £296 with a shutter count of under 30,000.
That's a decent price for the legendary 700 and it has not got many miles under its belt with a 6 month warranty.

Mean Time Between Failures for the D300S is quoted at 150K

That's an average, probably distributed along a bell-shaped curve, so you will get some outliers that will go on for a lot longer just as some shutters fail the first day they are used.
I had a less than 12month old D500 shutter fail at a whisker under 300k images. Amazingly Nikon fixed it for free under warranty!

With mirrorless taking over there really are some amazing bargains to be had in the DSLR market.
Yeah, it's ridiculous. I bought my D700 for £180 posted with a new set of rubber grips, and 103,000 shutter count. And the battery is still showing as brand new. I'm almost tempted to pick up a second one.

Park Cameras are one of the better large photo retailers. Even if you don't like what you bought from the website you would have no issues in returning it for a refund. I recently bought a used camera from them at a great price and it turned up very swiftly and looking like new.

Park appear to know very little about film cameras though so I would not buy analogue equipment mail order.
A couple of examples being, they did not know how to operate a Hasselblad 503cw and could not get the battery cover off a leica R9 when I was there.
In fairness, they are digitally orientated.

I spoke with somebody (different people) from Park cameras twice, the first time I was querying about a camera that had no photos uploaded on their website, he was very helpful and the next day they uploaded photos. The second person I spoke to, when I had other queries, seemed like he had no time for me and was in a rush to get off the phone.

Hi,

Thank you.
Hi dan00001
Yes have used them and found them to be reliable, good to talk to with regards whatever you are looking to purchase and pretty reasonable on price, give them a call ask for pictures pretty sure they will send them.

Bobbin

Just ordrerd a couple of memory cards (Just gone back to Nikon and have two D5's with only one card in each.)
I've had 7 emails in under an hour:
1. Order acknowledgement.
2. Order confirmation.
3. Thanks for ordering.
4. Your order is now ready.
5. Order dispatched
6. Sales invoice
7. We're expecting your parcel.

Great comm's but I'm sure they could streamline their messaging! :giggle:

I had a Fuji X100v off them and also traded a couple of lenses in with no issues.

Back