Part of the Soul nebula (IC1848)

Name
Sara
Edit My Images
Yes
This is part of the Soul nebula (IC1848) that appears to have nothing by way of specific designation. It;s also rarely imaged if you look around. It's on the 'back' of the nebula itself. IC1848 is about 7500 light years distant in the constellation Cassiopeia.

There are 3 different filters used in this image and in each filter there are 25x 30 minute exposures, so totalling 37.5 hours of total exposure.

If anyone is interetsed then my equipment is below.

Mount: Avalon Linear Fast Reverse
Telescope: Orion Optics ODK10
Camera: QSI683 with Astrodon 3nm Ha, OIII and SII filters

IC1848 - A close up of part of the Soul nebula by Sara Wager, on Flickr

You can see a larger res version here http://swagastro.weebly.com/uploads/2/3/3/7/23377322/ic1848_odk.jpg

Bravo! Great work and dedication!

You are going to have to stop posting things like this or I'm going to be in serious trouble for raiding the piggy bank ;)

Fantastic as always, Sara.

Bravo! Great work and dedication!

Thanks!

You are going to have to stop posting things like this or I'm going to be in serious trouble for raiding the piggy bank ;)

Fantastic as always, Sara.

Thanks Chris - Go on, raid that piggy band!!! I sold most of my DSLR stuff to fund a little of the astro stuff..... Camera's not been out of the cupboard for over 3 years :oops: :$

Stunning, absolutely stunning. The image is stunning, your dedication is stunning, but 37.5 hours of clear sky now that's just ridiculous, we haven't had that in the last 3 months in this bloody country.

Simply stunning as all your images are Sara. Very jealous, but keep them coming, they are truly inspirational.

Just amazing, thanks for sharing with us... :)

Ok, wow. Erm, not sure what else I can add. Really wow? Struggling with the use of the English language at the mo! I'm going with wow!

superb as always swag 72,just trying to get into astro and started a thread on the skywatcher adventurer,any thoughts on what i what should i expect with this and a d750 with 150mm lens f2.8,or 150-500,any advice appreciated

Thanks guys for your continued comments!

@chris - I do get you.... I wouldn't have bothered in the UK.

@iwols - I've never used the Adventurer and never give opinions on things I've not used. You could have a look around some astro forums and see what they think. Theres no reason why you can't get some decent images with a DSLR and camera lens..... But they will work better modified.

Amazing. Just amazing. Like iwols I'm a newbie and this just blows me away

That is absolutely incredible. One day perhaps, I'll have the skill and dedication to contemplate attempting such beautiful photography.
At the minute, holiday snaps test my prowess !

Fabulous work Sara, I am a great fan of your images ...:)

See previous comments!!! 2-3 minute star trails is about the limit of my patience an attention span these days so very glad there are people such as yourself who are able to capture and willing to share images like this. Thanks again for sharing.

Cheer Nod!! There's very little required with patience .... Everything is set up and runs from my PC as I sit on the sofa!! The biggest chunk of time these days is undoubtedly the processing side - Can take in excess of 8 hours per image.

Epic image Sara. Amazing detail :clap:

Max respect for your processing skills. It's one thing to get good subs but it's entirely another to tease the data out of the stacked image.

Sarah - I think your images are wasted on here. You need to be selling them to NASA or some other astronomically based body!

Well done on both your skill and commitment - every shot you post really is epic.

Cheer Nod!! There's very little required with patience .... Everything is set up and runs from my PC as I sit on the sofa!! The biggest chunk of time these days is undoubtedly the processing side - Can take in excess of 8 hours per image.

That's 6 hours, 100 minutes and 1,200 seconds longer than I like to spend on PP per image!!!There's also the little matter of hours of clear skies here in (even the sunny South West of) England... And the light pollution where I'd be happy leaving the kit set up.
Far easier (along with HUGELY better images! ;)) to keep an eye on this section of TP and/or your site and the Space Pictures app I have (which sometimes features your work.)

NASA cheat a bit - they avoid any atmospheric distortions and the light losses the assorted spheres soak up!

Now that's dedication, 37 hours. Who gets that sort of time away from work? Hahahaha!!!
Great picture.

Or is astro photography so time consuming that it IS work? I know that a fair amount of the time spent in taking the shots themselves is actually automated so not too operator time hungry but the PP time is "all your own work" so does eat into any "free" time you may have. Hopefully you make enough from your prints to cover the costs and keep you in Sangria!!!

It is time consuming Nod for sure - Sadly next to zero money is made ........Who wants to buy astro images? Sadly not many people! Stock companies aren't interested either as they clearly aren't saleable :(

Back