Patrick's 52 for 2011 - Week 31 "Wind"

A couple of people suggested the original of "Celebrate" was a bit muted. Here's a brighter version. I did wonder about pushing up the saturation as well. I know that wouldn't be a very "natural" look, but might work for this style of image.

6006753694_9562dddc9a_z.jpg

Celebrate really works for me and I simply love the tattoos!!

She has a very cheerful and relaxed smile.

I wouldn't have noticed the BG unless someone mentioned it, but it's not such an issue for me. One of the first things I noticed was then V popping out of her head.

Smell, it's a version I was going to do but for some reason I didn't get around to it. B&W was a great choice as it adds to the contrast. Looks grainy, which I suspect is intentional.

I'd rather the bracelet wasn't there and the right hand looks a tad claw like.

Cheers.

Celebrate really works for me and I simply love the tattoos!!

She has a very cheerful and relaxed smile.

I wouldn't have noticed the BG unless someone mentioned it, but it's not such an issue for me. One of the first things I noticed was then V popping out of her head.

Smell, it's a version I was going to do but for some reason I didn't get around to it. B&W was a great choice as it adds to the contrast. Looks grainy, which I suspect is intentional.

I'd rather the bracelet wasn't there and the right hand looks a tad claw like.

Cheers.

Hi Andy, thanks for comments and detailed crit. I agree about the right hand.

There are thousands of these scattered around Norwich. These are on the church of St Giles on the Hill.

6014705342_ed27180a70_z.jpg
[/url]
Gargoyles by PatrickO2, on Flickr[/IMG]

I did think of naming them after different members of the 52 club, but there weren't enough to go round.

Yep, Gargoils (I believe they are called :thinking:) are certainly weird looking.

Bottom right looks the better one, not sure who in the 52 it would be though!

bagsy top left .. he looks a happy looking chap... you can take bottom right Neil... :D (y)

Good work Patrick..you did mention stalking some of the churchs in Norwich for a weird shot, good job you didn't come round the convent else i'd have had to have gotten my canon out... :D

Hiya Patrick,

Have to say I prefer your edit of 'Celebrate' I think the background looks much better.

Great take on weird, indeed they do remind me of some of the 52'ers (no names mentioned :naughty:) Only crit would be that one the bottom left I would have preferred it without the blueish bit above the gutter pipe to make it consistent with the others.

Otherwise well done :clap:

Cheers

Dawn :)

Hi Patrick

Weird...spot on for the theme & like the selection you chose .As per Dawns comment on the lower left one but that would have made a very tight crop , nice simple border...good work mister (y)

ps....my colleagues would def have me own for bottom right :LOL:

Yep, Gargoils (I believe they are called :thinking:) are certainly weird looking.

Bottom right looks the better one, not sure who in the 52 it would be though!

bagsy top left .. he looks a happy looking chap... you can take bottom right Neil... :D (y)

Good work Patrick..you did mention stalking some of the churchs in Norwich for a weird shot, good job you didn't come round the convent else i'd have had to have gotten my canon out... :D

Certainly weird indeed, nice capture.(y)

Hiya Patrick,

Have to say I prefer your edit of 'Celebrate' I think the background looks much better.

Great take on weird, indeed they do remind me of some of the 52'ers (no names mentioned :naughty:) Only crit would be that one the bottom left I would have preferred it without the blueish bit above the gutter pipe to make it consistent with the others.

Otherwise well done :clap:

Cheers

Hi Patrick

Weird...spot on for the theme & like the selection you chose .As per Dawns comment on the lower left one but that would have made a very tight crop , nice simple border...good work mister (y)

ps....my colleagues would def have me own for bottom right :LOL:

Many thanks for replies and useful crit. Gargoyles indeed. Always reminds me of the ones in Pratchett's stories :)
Choose your own lookalike - I fancy the top right - he looks like he's waving :LOL:

Landscapes aren't really my strong point, but couldn't think of a people shot for wind that wasn't rude or gross:D

What's really embarassing is that I can't remember the name of this mill :bonk: (it's in north Norfolk). I think the white stuff blowing around is Cow Parsley.

6033333728_6642d7b497_b.jpg

*** Edit - it's St Benet's Mill

Last edited:
Mr P.... o m g.... no pun intended... but i'm blown away by this wind... lovely lead in with the river/ditch?? the blur of the foreground...rich blue sky.,..and central stage.. a windmill with sails... even better when i clicked the bar to see it larger... (y)

Landscapes aren't really my strong point, but couldn't think of a people shot for wind that wasn't rude or gross:D

what could you have been thinking about..... :cautious: ... then thinks of own idea for wind... OHHHhhhh..yeah.that rude and gross... (y)

Hiya Patrick,

I don't know what you are worried about .... I think you have captured a lovely landscape shot for 'wind'.

The movement of the foreground adds to the theme, lovely central lead in line and the blue sky (wow I wish we had such blue sky in oop norf!)

Is that another windmill far left of the frame?

Brilliant shot :clap:

Cheers

Mr P.... o m g.... no pun intended... but i'm blown away by this wind... lovely lead in with the river/ditch?? the blur of the foreground...rich blue sky.,..and central stage.. a windmill with sails... even better when i clicked the bar to see it larger... (y)

what could you have been thinking about..... :cautious: ... then thinks of own idea for wind... OHHHhhhh..yeah.that rude and gross... (y)

Thanks Kev. I took a lots of pics of this mill at different angles and some in portrait , some landscape and this is the best of the bunch. Didn't do much PP - just adjusted exposure and sharpening and added a slight vignette.

Yes I'm sure your less than innocent mind can think of a few "wind" images:LOL:

Hiya Patrick,

I don't know what you are worried about .... I think you have captured a lovely landscape shot for 'wind'.

The movement of the foreground adds to the theme, lovely central lead in line and the blue sky (wow I wish we had such blue sky in oop norf!)

Is that another windmill far left of the frame?

Brilliant shot :clap:

Cheers

Thanks Dawn. I took this on a day out with Chris Herring http://www.theuklandscape.com/. When I compare my landscapes to his I am just in awe (and he makes it look so easy:LOL:). Glad you like the movement in the Cow Parsley - it took a while getting the shutter speed right.

Yes, that's another mill just on the opposite bank of the river. I've just remembered the names: my pic is of St Benet's Mill and the one in the distance is Thurne Dyke Mill. They are both drainage mills on opposite banks of the river Thurne before it joins the Bure. Norfolk is amazing for mills and many have been restored.

There's nothing wrong with that shot.
It's got foreground intrest, a nice subject with good leed in, a reflection of the main subject in the brook, the only thing that would have been a nice thing to have is some fluffy white clouds, but it's fine without.

Nice shot - well done

:plus1:

Great foreground inerest, blowing in the wind.

Cheers.

Nice windmill shot. I hope this is near you, because this warrants another visit later in the year I think!

:clap:

My only little niggles for a slightly better composition are the stream is too vertical for me. If you could have moved right a little, it would have bought the stream into a diagonal, leading in from the empty-ish left of shot.
Also it might have also given a bit more visibility to the other windmill and hidden some of the barn behind the bush. Again, minor points, and without me being there to see, I’m only speculating. For all I know, there could have been a stream on your right preventing you from doing anything else.

Well done

(y)

Back