Patrick's 52 for 2011 - Week 31 "Wind"

I'm now two weeks behind with my 52, and that's mainly because I've not felt inspired by the recent themes. Nothing wrong with the themes, but they are just not doing it for me. Maybe a case of mid 52 blues.

I definitely want to continue the 52, but I'm undecided whether to continue with the themes or to change it into a non-themed 52 using my own projects.

I've got various togging projects running through my head which are more inspiring to me. I'm doing a lot of strobist and studio stuff at present, but also want to try some landscape ideas. Also want to do more dance photography.

So I could pull my socks up and get on with the themed 52, or just post a pic a week, but with not much of a theme.

Yours in perplexity, Patrick :help:

Fundamentally, it's your 52. Do what inspires you. It shouldn't be a painful experience.

Substitute as you see fit and if a theme inspires you post a photograph.

The drop off rate for this 52 has been very fast over recent weeks and I suspect this may be the norm.

Sit back, relax and do what you need to do...(y)

You're going to have bad weeks, and when you get a few on a run it gets to you, I know, I was there a few weeks back. However, for me the 52 is a challenge, so it's supposed to tax the brain, have highs and lows and not be easy! Letting someone pick the theme makes it more of a challenge, otherwise, IMHO, you're just posting pictures from a day out.

Stick with it, you've got this far.

I'm now two weeks behind with my 52, and that's mainly because I've not felt inspired by the recent themes. Nothing wrong with the themes, but they are just not doing it for me. Maybe a case of mid 52 blues.

I definitely want to continue the 52, but I'm undecided whether to continue with the themes or to change it into a non-themed 52 using my own projects.

I've got various togging projects running through my head which are more inspiring to me. I'm doing a lot of strobist and studio stuff at present, but also want to try some landscape ideas. Also want to do more dance photography.

So I could pull my socks up and get on with the themed 52, or just post a pic a week, but with not much of a theme.

Yours in perplexity, Patrick :help:

Mr P!!! .. as per said .. you're not alone.. we've all gone through it once, even twice (speaking of myself here) ... BUT we're NOT letting another one fall especially when he (OR SHE) has come so far (y) .. you get me Mr P!! ...wildcards ARE allowed for the off weeks... i haven't posted 'celebrate' but put a placeholder for it..because one day i might have something to celebrate???? i was forced to leave a job back in feburary.. prime time to quit this project, i wasn't feeling too good. I even posted some cr@p images for three weeks in a row...

but this is ultimately about you, what you want from it. no'one here can make you post, let alone think about the theme ... but we're damn well not going to sit around and watch you wither. Your shots up til now have been brilliant (y), it'd be a waste...think of the end, Mr P ...when you can put all your shots together and say to people...

i did that!....:rules:

..and in january... we can all sit round and say... We did it too ... (y)

..we signed up as individuals ... but we'll end it together ... :bat:

Patrick,
Stick at it. The 52 is more about making the mundane interesting than inspiring photography from the off. Why dont you do what I do and try and use strobism for all your shots, or when in a studio, try and incorporate the theme into a few of the shots. The 52 project does not have to be exclusive from your other projects.

Stick at it mate, its the home stretch now.

Rgds

Adie

Hi Patrick,

Well what can I say that hasn't already been said by all your fellow TP52 team members ... except that I am very sad :crying:

I have just spent the last hour going through your project from week 1 and it brought back some memories, especially as week 1 seems such a long time ago. All of your posts have been fantastic and there are a few that really stand out for me, with Week 2 being my all time favourite!

Take a look back at Week 8 - Chaos .... what a fantastic idea that was ... can you associate with those expressions? I am sure there are many, if not all of us here, who can relate to at least one, if not all of them.

5474842676_cf29e0e5df_z.jpg

I guess you are probably looking a bit like 3rd from top left at the moment (with probably a hint of last in the middle row) .... but what I would like to see is third from the left bottom row :)

We have all had our up's and down's throughout this challenge, but the camaraderie we have all shared is brilliant, and that is what spurs me on to finish this project, as I am sure it does others.

Granted you have found your niche interests in photography, and you are doing great work too ... I have seen some of your latest photos on Flickr. I think there are many of us who have along the way of doing this project found a particular photography interest. I understand your plight that same may not fit with the particular weekly themes, but then this is where you could either become creative (think outside of the box) or has been mentioned use a wildcard/joker for the week.

Remember ... this is your project and you decide how you want to progress it. We are here to support and encourage whatever decision you make, however we would hate to lose you and will do what we can to motivate you to end.

I like what Kev said, i.e.,

"..we signed up as individuals ... but we'll end it together ... "

Please give it some careful thought before making a final decision and remember we are all here to support you.

Big hugs :hug2:

Luv

Dawn :)

Hiya Patrick, well it has all been said by everyone else really! It would be a shame for you to stop when you have got so far and done so well. I reckon you will find it in yourself to continue. There have been a few times when I have thought "oh my god, what on earth am I going to do for that theme" but I have manged to pull through. So stick to it, which ever way you decide to go. Tp themes or your own we will all be here to watch your project progress. (y)

To Andy, Stan, Neil, Kev, Adie, Dawn and Michael,

I'm just blown away by the support you guys are giving me. All your words are inspiring me to keep going. Everything you've all said just rings SO true, but maybe Neil's comment that this was never meant to be easy strikes home the most. The whole point is that this is a personal challenge - it won't be easy and that's what makes it worthwhile.

Ok people, watch this space...

Hi Patrick

late in replying (sorry ) but been where you are & know how you feel....most of us have I'm sure .

Not to worry if your a few weeks behind...it's not the end of the world....meant to be fun not stressful so take each week as it comes , if you don't like the theme or are un-inspired by it , do your own thing using subjects that interest you & improve the skills you already have ( by the bucketload I might add :) )

It's always great to see your work...the image Dawn posted was certainly stunning along with many others from your thread . The support from the 52er's will always be there whatever shot you post , we're all in this together mister (y)

I'm just blown away by the support you guys are giving me. All your words are inspiring me to keep going. Everything you've all said just rings SO true, but maybe Neil's comment that this was never meant to be easy strikes home the most. The whole point is that this is a personal challenge - it won't be easy and that's what makes it worthwhile.

YES!!!! ... Mr P is back IN the room!!! (y)

we're watching Mr P!! ... now go out there and impress us... but most of all .. impress yourself...:clap: ...if it ain't pleasurable.. you're doing it wrong... said the vicar to the sheep farmer

Glad I could help, never thought about a job in motivational speaking, maybe I'll give it ago.
No, hang on, I've just spotted the post from Dawn and your mug from week 8; what have we done :puke:
Oh what the hell, you can stay in the 52 gang, but no more self portraits :LOL:

Now stop reading this and get your self a plan for catching up.
BA, Ace, Murdock, give the man a hand (y)

Your post just caught my eye on the home page, so I hope you won't mind if I add my two penn'th!

I did the 52 in 2009 (seems ages ago now!) and, yes there were bad weeks, and even awful weeks, and sometimes they came hot on each other's heels. But there were good weeks too - when somehow I came up with something that pushed my boundaries, or just made me happy to be doing it. I was thrilled to get to the end of the year with a post for every theme.

Inspired, I started 2010 with two projects - the themed one and a 'green' one. Living where I live, there's a lot of green. :LOL: I got about half way through with the green project but ran out of steam and sadly abandoned it. I struggled on - mojo-less - with the themed project until, I think, about week 47! And, the purpose of this post is to tell you that

not finishing it still bugs me.

So, dig deep for that inspiration, perhaps try to incorporate the themes into your current interests, but so many people are cheering you on. How will you feel at week 52 if you abandon it now?

Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

Jean

Glad I could help, never thought about a job in motivational speaking, maybe I'll give it ago.
No, hang on, I've just spotted the post from Dawn and your mug from week 8; what have we done :puke:

soooooo ... Neil sees himself as hannibal smith does he ????? :cautious: :bat:

Your post just caught my eye on the home page, so I hope you won't mind if I add my two penn'th!

I did the 52 in 2009 (seems ages ago now!) and, yes there were bad weeks, and even awful weeks, and sometimes they came hot on each other's heels. But there were good weeks too - when somehow I came up with something that pushed my boundaries, or just made me happy to be doing it. I was thrilled to get to the end of the year with a post for every theme.

Inspired, I started 2010 with two projects - the themed one and a 'green' one. Living where I live, there's a lot of green. :LOL: I got about half way through with the green project but ran out of steam and sadly abandoned it. I struggled on - mojo-less - with the themed project until, I think, about week 47! And, the purpose of this post is to tell you that

So, dig deep for that inspiration, perhaps try to incorporate the themes into your current interests, but so many people are cheering you on. How will you feel at week 52 if you abandon it now?

Jean

..blows Neil's Mr Smith impression clearly out of the water... (y)

Jean..thats the best advice Mr P can take... from some'one who has been through it.. thank you

Patrick ... that's the spirit! :banana:

And thanks fellow guys and gals of the Photo52 team and to Jean for the support you have all given Patrick. Now let's stick together and make it through to the end.

Cheers

i can see it now.... Neil in a godzilla outfit smoking a cigar ... :shake:

Mr P ..you coming to the sept meet? better be... big plans lined up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MVonyVSQoM

Replace with the following words!

In 2011 a crack pot group of toggers went to Derbyshire for crimes they were willing to commit.
The toggers promptly rambled the country side of Derbyshire from the four corners of the UK.
Today, still wanted by the Derbyshire authorities, they survive as toggers of miss-furtune.
If you have a problem and noone else understands you, and if can find them, maybe you should join the TP52 team............

In 2011 a crack pot group of toggers went to Derbyshire for crimes they were willing to commit.
The toggers promptly rambled the country side of Derbyshire from the four corners of the UK.
Today, still wanted by the Derbyshire authorities, they survive as toggers of miss-furtune.
If you have a problem and noone else understands you, and if can find them, maybe you should join the TP52 team............

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

That is brilliant and so true Neil .... we should make this our marketing ploy for the TP52-Team :D

this is good... (y) ... that confirms it for Neil ..don't you think so Dawn :naughty: :LOL:

Some really fantastic stuff in here Patrick (y)
In particular your gymnast shots for "power" and the "broken" weeks stand out for me.

As Jean said I think all of us who have taken part in the 52 challenges have had a mid-year dip or a run of uninspiring themes. Seeing the quality of some of your work it would be a huge shame if you dropped out now.

Fingers crossed that whatever I pull out of the bag tomorrow will work for you.

Patrick... let's say one thing... if you even have any more doubts about carry on your 52... i know where you live even without a door number... and i'll be round there in a flash, sitting back in that chair, drinking your tea and siding with your delightful wife about any subject she may profer.. :razz:

so..remember that .. (y)

awesome day m8...just trying to process the few i managed to take.. :cautious: i just hope Betty will be pleased with them... :clap:

Hi Patrick

late in replying (sorry ) but been where you are & know how you feel....most of us have I'm sure .

Not to worry if your a few weeks behind...it's not the end of the world....meant to be fun not stressful so take each week as it comes , if you don't like the theme or are un-inspired by it , do your own thing using subjects that interest you & improve the skills you already have ( by the bucketload I might add :) )

It's always great to see your work...the image Dawn posted was certainly stunning along with many others from your thread . The support from the 52er's will always be there whatever shot you post , we're all in this together mister (y)

YES!!!! ... Mr P is back IN the room!!! (y)

we're watching Mr P!! ... now go out there and impress us... but most of all .. impress yourself...:clap: ...if it ain't pleasurable.. you're doing it wrong... said the vicar to the sheep farmer

Jean

Some really fantastic stuff in here Patrick (y)
In particular your gymnast shots for "power" and the "broken" weeks stand out for me.

As Jean said I think all of us who have taken part in the 52 challenges have had a mid-year dip or a run of uninspiring themes. Seeing the quality of some of your work it would be a huge shame if you dropped out now.

Fingers crossed that whatever I pull out of the bag tomorrow will work for you.

I really was on the verge of giving up - your words have made all the difference. Jean's comment was especially affecting - yes I'll KNOW I regret it if I don't finish.

Patrick... let's say one thing... if you even have any more doubts about carry on your 52... i know where you live even without a door number... and i'll be round there in a flash, sitting back in that chair, drinking your tea and siding with your delightful wife about any subject she may profer.. :razz:

so..remember that .. (y)

awesome day m8...just trying to process the few i managed to take.. :cautious: i just hope Betty will be pleased with them... :clap:

...and anyone who's met Kev (or my beloved) will realise that's not a threat to be taken lightly lol. Looking forwrd to seeing your pics.

Here (at last) is "Celebrate". This is Betty Havok and her birthday cake at a vintage pinup picnic shoot.

All crit welcome. (Just one thing - please don't witter on about her tattoos:))

5995089629_c9b5880b07_z.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks to my beloved who is now used to me asking her to do odd stuff in aid of my 52.

Went for a grainy look - not sure if it works.

Honest crit welcome.

5995149569_4c2571383b_b.jpg

Last edited:
as the Fonz would say..heeeeyyyyyy!!!... what can i say ... you'd set Betty up nicely with that cake..and seeing it now from your angle i can see what you were seeing...even if the cake constantly fell off the knife and the numerous background passer bys :D ...

my only concern about this style of shooting (inexperienced as i am) is that the subject seems to be disconnected with the background... Betty seems to be in another world to the greenery..is that just an effect that the flash has, and i guess DOF..i know from first looks mine aren't in Patricks league ....so many i will let Patrick's shine for us both :cautious:

...as for smell (2 in one weekend..you rotter..!!) .. that is awesome..i love the way you've ccaught the spray.. i wouldn't have recognised those wrists as being the ones we sat and watched weilding a fork and spade around the garden... (until you galantly offered your services to do the manly heavy stuff :naughty:) ... the B&W is brilliant... and you were going to give up... i'm way behind...

..........and is that door number back on???? :thinking:

Here (at last) is "Celebrate". This is Betty Havok and her birthday cake at a vintage pinup picnic shoot.

All crit welcome. (Just one thing - please don't witter on about her tattoos:))

5995089629_c9b5880b07_z.jpg

Like the pose and the setup alot Patrick. It looks slightly mooted here but that may be the happy shopper monitor i have at work !!

Hiya Patrick,

Glad to see you are back on track and from what I hear you and Kev had a great day yesterday, good for you (y)

I like your celebrate shot .... it does look like Betty is popping out of the picture, which I quite like. Betty is an interesting model and has a lovely smile. Only thing for me is the tree to the right looks a tad dark.

Your 'smell' shot is fantastic ... I love the lighting and the spray, plus the way your OH has positioned here hands. The b&w works well too.

Well done

Cheers

Good to see you back Patrick, and what a way to come back, two great shots.

The celebrate looks odd for me, as Kev noted, the background looks like it's not part of the shot.

Love the smell shot, cannot remember who did the shot of the perfume bottles for their smell week, but I commented that a shot of the perfume spray would be good. I'm glad to see someone has done (saves me trying!) as it confirms my thoughts on the idea. Was it difficult to catch?

I really was on the verge of giving up - your words have made all the difference. Jean's comment was especially affecting - yes I'll KNOW I regret it if I don't finish.

Yes, sorry if the message was a bit shouty - but it's great you're carrying on. Start planning what you will do to celebrate all your amazing images at the end of the year. btw - I didn't use the word 'amazing' lightly - there are so many images in this thread that I would love to have taken.

Week 29 Smell: I agree with SA

Grainy look for Smell definitely works. That could be a perfume advert!

I also think it would work without grain to give a sleek and sophisticated look ready for a full-page spread in Vogue. :clap::clap::clap:

Jean

Celebrate, I like that picture! Great colurs, composition and bang on the theme.
Smell, I like this one as well. The processing works excellently with the subject matter. (y)

Thanks Michael. Glad you like them.

as the Fonz would say..heeeeyyyyyy!!!... what can i say ... you'd set Betty up nicely with that cake..and seeing it now from your angle i can see what you were seeing...even if the cake constantly fell off the knife and the numerous background passer bys :D ...

my only concern about this style of shooting (inexperienced as i am) is that the subject seems to be disconnected with the background... Betty seems to be in another world to the greenery..is that just an effect that the flash has, and i guess DOF..i know from first looks mine aren't in Patricks league ....so many i will let Patrick's shine for us both :cautious:

...as for smell (2 in one weekend..you rotter..!!) .. that is awesome..i love the way you've ccaught the spray.. i wouldn't have recognised those wrists as being the ones we sat and watched weilding a fork and spade around the garden... (until you galantly offered your services to do the manly heavy stuff :naughty:) ... the B&W is brilliant... and you were going to give up... i'm way behind...

..........and is that door number back on???? :thinking:

Hey Kev, thanks for a great shoot on Sunday. your shots look pretty good to me especially on Flickr.
Yes, Mrs PatrickO can do elegant as well as landgirl.
No number still not on door:bonk:

Like the pose and the setup alot Patrick. It looks slightly mooted here but that may be the happy shopper monitor i have at work !!

thanks Dave, I've done a re-edit below to take on board your comment.

Hiya Patrick,

Glad to see you are back on track and from what I hear you and Kev had a great day yesterday, good for you (y)

I like your celebrate shot .... it does look like Betty is popping out of the picture, which I quite like. Betty is an interesting model and has a lovely smile. Only thing for me is the tree to the right looks a tad dark.

Your 'smell' shot is fantastic ... I love the lighting and the spray, plus the way your OH has positioned here hands. The b&w works well too.

Well done

Cheers

Cheers Dawn, Betty was fun to work with - the vintage thing is big atm.
Glad you like "smell"

Good to see you back Patrick, and what a way to come back, two great shots.

The celebrate looks odd for me, as Kev noted, the background looks like it's not part of the shot.

Love the smell shot, cannot remember who did the shot of the perfume bottles for their smell week, but I commented that a shot of the perfume spray would be good. I'm glad to see someone has done (saves me trying!) as it confirms my thoughts on the idea. Was it difficult to catch?

I can see what you mean about the false looking background. Maybe that's to much flash...
The "smell" image took about 50 tries lol.

Hey welcome back Patrick and well done on your catchup (slowly :))

I love that smell photo, brilliant lighting to 'catch' the spray and the mono colour. :clap:

Hey Stan, thanks for that. I'm so glad I kept going. Glad you like "smell" - I was unsure

Grainy look for Smell definitely works. That could be a perfume advert!

Cheers Mark. yes I'm fairly happy with the mono and grain - was unsure at first. I'll just give Saatchi's a call the lol

Yes, sorry if the message was a bit shouty - but it's great you're carrying on. Start planning what you will do to celebrate all your amazing images at the end of the year. btw - I didn't use the word 'amazing' lightly - there are so many images in this thread that I would love to have taken.

Week 29 Smell: I agree with SA

I also think it would work without grain to give a sleek and sophisticated look ready for a full-page spread in Vogue. :clap::clap::clap:

Jean

Hi Jean, thanks for your comments and kind word. Sometimes we need a bit of shouting ;)

Hi ya

love your Smell capture...lucky you for having a willing helper (y) Well caught & processed...lovely (y)

Thanks Lynne, not sure my beloved is a "willing" helper but a bit of flattery and bribery does the trick :LOL:

Many thanks to all who replied and apologies if I haven't gotten to you thread yet. Promise I will soon.

Back