[post=3758757]Week 23 Broken[/post]
[post=3776039]Week 24 Bright[/post]
[post=3776182]Week 25 Rescue[/post]
[post=3815857]Week 26 Sensual[/post]
[post=3835223]Week 27 Elaborate[/post]
[post=3890955]Week 28 Celebrate[/post]
[post=3890996]Week 29 Smell[/post]
[post=3906240]Week 30 Weird[/post]

Never done a 52 before, and I'm feeling slightly intimidated by the quality of last year's 52ers.

My aims are to really widen my photography horizons and cover every genre. So if you see me doing the same thing week after week feel free to give me a (virtual) kick. I'm also determined to get my PP up to scatch.

I'm aiming to stick to the rules here http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=284646
and my own extra rule is that each week I must reply with useful crit (not just "nice pic") to at least three other 52ers and more if I can manage it.

Wish me luck, and good luck to all the other 52ers (and those strange rare beasts the 365ers).

For my first one (theme: Accommodation) I've tried for a dramatic/gritty street scene of the YMCA in Norwich.

5331059425_778abec464_z.jpg

In PP I've tried to stay true to the original while adding drama and grittiness. I also toned down the parked cars on the left as they were too dominant in the original.
Original here http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5049/5330781565_e3fe0f0309_b.jpg

Crit very welcome

Last edited:
Thats a good start to your 52..(y)

Nice trails . Ticks the boxes for me...;)

MD(y)

Never seen St Giles look so nice, really made me think about whats on our doorstep. I agree toning down the cars has also made a big improvement in my eyes, well done

Hiya Patrick

Good take on the first theme, well done!

Love the colours of the buildings, light trails and starbursts. Also like how the light trails seem to reflect in the back car bumper too.

Like what you have done in PP'ing.

Well done and look forward to seeing your next 51.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Nice shot, and great take on the theme, great start! It's a tad too dark for me though there's hardly any detail left in the dark areas, maybe this was your intent, and I would have cropped the left more so the cars are barely visible.

Last edited:
This is the exact idea I had first, but there isn't a YMCA in my area, and the only other types of places are hidden out of the way or don't look like anything fitting for an accommodation theme :(

Nice line of thinking and great light trails. However, my eyes are immediately drawn to the cars on the left

love the way the composition leads you 'into' the pic, and great idea with the light trails :)

Thanks people for taking the time to reply. It makes me determined to make the most of this challenge. Good luck with all your own personal photo projects.

Thats a good start to your 52..(y)

Nice trails . Ticks the boxes for me...;)
Thanks Dave. Looking forward to seeing how your portrait thread develops. Really like the first one.

Never seen St Giles look so nice, really made me think about whats on our doorstep. I agree toning down the cars has also made a big improvement in my eyes, well done
Hi Gary, yes this challenge really makes me look at things with new eyes. Spent some time at the cathedral last weekend and found loads of great photo opportunities. If you see some tall bald bloke with a D700 in the city that's probably me:wave:

nice shot, the light trails really add to it
Thanks, the light trails were my way of adding a bit of drama.

Ticks all the boxes for me as well, well done...:)

Hoping to get my one done this weekend.
Thanks Roly, get out there and get shooting. Looking forward to seeing yours:)

Hiya Patrick

Good take on the first theme, well done!

Love the colours of the buildings, light trails and starbursts. Also like how the light trails seem to reflect in the back car bumper too.

Like what you have done in PP'ing.

Well done and look forward to seeing your next 51.

Cheers

Hi Dawn, and thanks for your kind words. When I first got the pics home I was slightly disappointed , but it seemed to come together in PP. It's not exactly what I wanted, but the things you've mentioned are some of what I'm pleased with. BTW love your 1st pic:)

Nice shot, and great take on the theme, great start! It's a tad too dark for me though there's hardly any detail left in the dark areas, maybe this was your intent, and I would have cropped the left more so the cars are barely visible.
Hi Kaz, thanks for your useful crit - it's good to get ideas about how it could be improved. I was torn about how much to darken the image. I agree that more detail in the dark area would be good but I was keen to get a strong contrast to the bright lights. I also thought about cropping the parked cars out, but then I would have lost the large streetlight starburst which I think helps the balance between the two sides of the image. Not saying that your crit is wrong but just trying to explain my thinking.

Cheers, Patrick

This is the exact idea I had first, but there isn't a YMCA in my area, and the only other types of places are hidden out of the way or don't look like anything fitting for an accommodation theme :(
Hi Niall sorry for nicking your idea;). A night time street scene is a really fun thing to do. Looking forward to seeing your first one.

Nice line of thinking and great light trails. However, my eyes are immediately drawn to the cars on the left
Hi Sarah, thanks for replying. I was torn about how much to lose the cars on the left. In the end I decided to let them stay, but perhaps I should have muted them down a bit more in PP. When I was taking the shot I was almost halfway into the road to try to avoid including too much of the parked cars.:eek: BTW love the quotes in your signature.:)

love the way the composition leads you 'into' the pic, and great idea with the light trails :)
Thanks Maria, those are two of the things that I like about the shot (I won't list all the things I don't like:LOL:)

Good take on the theme. really like the composition and the light trails add to the shot.
Thanks Ceri, looking forward to seeing yours.:)

THink the light trails work very well - nice
Thanks, I spent a long time dodging traffic to get those light trails:LOL:

Cheers, Patrick

I like this and the light trails are well caught. I feel they drag the eye from teh YMCA to the cars and I found myself concentrating on the cars trying to pick out detail there!

I tried an on screen 'crop' but it didn't really help too much. Still a good image though.

<snip>Hi Dawn, and thanks for your kind words. When I first got the pics home I was slightly disappointed , but it seemed to come together in PP. It's not exactly what I wanted, but the things you've mentioned are some of what I'm pleased with. BTW love your 1st pic:)<snip>

You are welcome :) There are often times when I have experienced the same, i.e., thought I had taken a brilliant photo because it looked good on the camera screen, but once uploaded not impressed, but with a bit of PP'ing managed to salvage something from it. Not ideal as I would have like to have got it right at time of shoot, but then I suppose that is how we learn. Thanks too for leaving a fantastic comment on the first of my 52; high praise indeed and very encouraging :)

The encouragement one gets from feedback does intensify the determination to complete this challenge and I think if all of us who are taking part this year do just that we may just make it to the end.

Good luck with your photo52 and any other projects you have on the go.

Cheers

I like this and the light trails are well caught. I feel they drag the eye from teh YMCA to the cars and I found myself concentrating on the cars trying to pick out detail there!

I tried an on screen 'crop' but it didn't really help too much. Still a good image though.

Hi Tina, looking at the pic again I can see what you mean about the light trail leading the eye to the cars. I might try reprocessing tomorrow (too late tonite)

Feel free to edit/crop if you wish:)

Hi Kaz, thanks for your useful crit - it's good to get ideas about how it could be improved. I was torn about how much to darken the image. I agree that more detail in the dark area would be good but I was keen to get a strong contrast to the bright lights. I also thought about cropping the parked cars out, but then I would have lost the large streetlight starburst which I think helps the balance between the two sides of the image. Not saying that your crit is wrong but just trying to explain my thinking.

Oh of course. I was just offering my personal impression on the photo and you've obviously thought a lot about how to present the image best. I'm hardly an authority in photography having picked up my DSLR only last year. I agree the strong light on the left balances the sides nicely.

I like the treatment and I like both your crop and Kas's crop above.

When the days draw out, you might want to consider shooting this again in late evening before the sky has turned completely black, so that the buildings are silhouetted against the dark blue sky.

Hi Patrick I had a go at tweaking your image using the original JPG you posted to illustrate what I had in mind. Hope you don't mind (I'll take it down if you prefer) and I'd be interested to know what you think of my take.
Hi Kaz, that's an different and interesting take on the image. Thanks for taking the time to work on it. It's not what I was aiming for, but I think I can see where you're going with it. TBH I prefer my version, but that might just be me being a difficult sod;)

I like the treatment and I like both your crop and Kas's crop above.

When the days draw out, you might want to consider shooting this again in late evening before the sky has turned completely black, so that the buildings are silhouetted against the dark blue sky.

Patrick

Hi David, that's a great idea. A dark blue sky could work really well with something like this. Do have any that you have done along those lines?

My initial thought was " I don't get it", then I slapped myself on the head :puke:

Great take and the trails really add to the photograph.

Cheers.

This is my one of my favorite images so far its just beauitufl. I really like the light trails as well I would to give them a try sometime.

I really like this, the light trails really provide some energy to an otherwise serene scene.

Nice pic, but as already pointed out I feel that the sky is too dark... is it possible to retake the photo at sunset?

Hi David, that's a great idea. A dark blue sky could work really well with something like this. Do have any that you have done along those lines?

This illustrates the point but is not exactly what you were after:

vs
Untitled by morganthecat, on Flickr vs Untitled by morganthecat, on Flickr

By shooting just after sunset there is more interest in the sky but it doesn't lessen the impact of the lighting.

A good start to the year I think. It is very hard to get these shot right imho and you have done a good job. It is maybe a touch too dark but it doesn't spoil it for me.

Thanks for all encouraging comments and especial thanks to all who offered suggestions for improving the pic.

This illustrates the point but is not exactly what you were after:

vs
Untitled by morganthecat, on Flickr vs Untitled by morganthecat, on Flickr

By shooting just after sunset there is more interest in the sky but it doesn't lessen the impact of the lighting.

I see what you mean David. The brighter blue makes the image zing

A good start to the year I think. It is very hard to get these shot right imho and you have done a good job. It is maybe a touch too dark but it doesn't spoil it for me.

I think on reflection I agree that it's a bit too dark. But it's a learning experience and I'm happy that it's better than many of my previous efforts.

Last edited:
Here's week 2 on the theme of "new". I struggled with this one and tried a few different ideas. Been playing with my Raynox DCR250 and decided to do a close up.

5355837368_1bd37c717d_z.jpg

Things I like about it: the overall mood of the pic, the colours, composition.

Things I'd like to improve: DOF not exactly what i want, the converging parallels, a bit cliched?

This is also a tribute to Dawn's week 1, which I thought was excellent.

Here's week 2 on the theme of "new". I struggled with this one and tried a few different ideas. Been playing with my Raynox DCR250 and decided to do a close up.

Nice idea maybe it could do with being alittle brighter on the exposure:shrug:

MD

Things I like about it: the overall mood of the pic, the colours, composition.

Things I'd like to improve: DOF not exactly what i want, the converging parallels, a bit cliched?

This is also a tribute to Dawn's week 1, which I thought was excellent.

Hiya Patrick

Wow! Wow! Wow! I am speechless. This has to be one of the best photos I have seen in a long time.

You have put so much thought into composing the image. The roses are beautiful, a lovely colour and the water drops bring the image to life.

The prose that you have selected is perfect adding to the romance of the image.

How did you get the two lines to stand out so clear? I'd love to know how you achieved that.

I think you have a winner there and give you a top mark of 101%

Thanks for the tribute and the compliment, I am glad my image inspired you :) I am quite flattered ;)

Now I can't wait to see what you produce for next week's theme. This is going to be a tough one for you to beat as you have topped the standard with this one.

Good luck with the Photo52 and I will be following your project very closely. I think I am going to learn a lot from you.

Cheers

Yes I like this as well good shot if I was being a tad over critical maybe a little bit up on the exposure but I do really like it nice one (y)

For me its all in the detail, and you have again hit the mark, colours are spot on and depth of detail is the same, most definately a keeper

Nice idea maybe it could do with being alittle brighter on the exposure:shrug:
MD

Yes I like this as well good shot if I was being a tad over critical maybe a little bit up on the exposure but I do really like it nice one (y)

For me its all in the detail, and you have again hit the mark, colours are spot on and depth of detail is the same, most definately a keeper

Thanks for replies. It's interesting that a few people have commented on more than one of my posts that the pic is too dark. Maybe that's my monitor or just that subjectively I go for slightly darker shot. I often think that other people's stuff is a bit overexposed for my taste. I'll re-do this one in PP and post a lighter version later today.

Hiya Patrick

How did you get the two lines to stand out so clear? I'd love to know how you achieved that.

Hi Dawn, I must admit to a bit of Photoshop Elements cheating. I did as much as I could with getting the DOF right in the camera so that the two lines I wanted and the flowers were in focus and the other lines OOF. I then selected the other lines in Elements and added various amounts of gaussian blur. I'm pretty much a newbie with PP but one of my aims with the 52 challenge is to improve my PP (booked onto a couple of Photoshop courses here in Norwich in a few weeks)

Cheers, Patrick

Hi, viewing on small screen so I can only applaud the hard work you put into this week's topic.

Looks good on tiggy screen...

Cheers.

Here's a lighter version. All I've done is lighten the shadows using Elements.
Let me know if you prefer it to the original.

5357667037_1882a3d450_b.jpg

Back